PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about teaching...advice requested.

ASH556
06-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Hey guys, I'd appreciate insight, feedback and info on the following situation:

Georgia, despite it's being reasonably gun-friendly is also pretty much derp central. That being said, I will occasionally go into the range when I'm working, see someone struggling with their pistol (like not hitting paper at 7 yds) and offer a few insights (Stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control). Every single time I do this I get asked by the customer and usually one or two others in the other booths if I teach classes and how much I charge.

This gets me to thinking that there's a starving market for some basic handgun instruction. My hesitation is that I don't have any instructor certs. I looked into the NRA one and it's like $300. I'm not interested in teaching combat techniques or anything like that. Just the fundamentals of handgun marksmanship.

I've already discussed it with the range and we've come up with some rough numbers that work for them and me. Now the question I have is about implementation and liability. Am I covered by the range's insurance if a student shoots himself? Are there any legal ramifications of teaching a basic marksmanship class without any certs?

Thanks for thoughts and feedback!

RoyGBiv
06-24-2015, 09:28 AM
I'll let others more knowledgeable reply on the specific questions you asked, but I'll add "INCORPORATE!" to your to-do list.

I would not run any business, much less a shooting-related business, without the protection of a corporation.
A GA incorporation costs $100 LINK (https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/starting-dissolving-corporations-llcs-limited-partnerships)

Maybe the range will sponsor some of your NRA class cost?
Vistaprint is offering 500 business cards for $10. Link (http://www.vistaprint.com/lp/business-cards-next-gen-no-nav-3b.aspx?mk=vistaprint+business+card+offer&ad=e&crtv=68479267339&psite=mkwid|Q2rypbBk&device=c&couponAutoload=1&GP=6%2f24%2f2015+10%3a27%3a19+AM&GPS=3544268331&GNF=0#m)

*I am not related in any way to the State of GA or Vistaprint. :p

1slow
06-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I have similar questions about how best to proceed.

Since you are in GA, if you have the time, GALEFI offers a course that certifies you to teach law enforcement in the state of Georgia. If you are a member it is cheaper.

I went though Tom Givens Instructor class, Advanced Instructor class, John Farnam's Instructor class, the GALEFI class, and the NRA Basic and Pistol Instructor classes.
NRA is good to be able to get their insurance. Tom's class is very good and quite thorough. GALEFI's class is also very good.

TGS
06-24-2015, 10:43 AM
I have similar questions about how best to proceed.

Since you are in GA, if you have the time, GALEFI offers a course that certifies you to teach law enforcement in the state of Georgia. If you are a member it is cheaper.

I went though Tom Givens Instructor class, Advanced Instructor class, John Farnam's Instructor class, the GALEFI class, and the NRA Basic and Pistol Instructor classes.
NRA is good to be able to get their insurance. Tom's class is very good and quite thorough. GALEFI's class is also very good.

Does the NRA insurance only apply if teaching a strict NRA curriculum?

okie john
06-24-2015, 11:58 AM
I used to work on ranges. Unless I was working as a range employee, I didn't accept money for training because I wanted to be covered by any legal protection the range already had. Even then, I had a situation arise where lawyers were the next step, and the range owner told me flat out that I was on my own, even though I had followed their procedure to the letter. I got through the situation without going to court, but I quit teaching after that--the hassle-to-money ratio just wasn't there.

My first advice is don't do it. If you ignore that, then hire an attorney--your attorney, one who specializes in liability law--to advise you on how to set up your business, then do what he says. Liability law varies from state to state, and you want to make sure you've got your ducks in a row in case of accident or if someone gets in trouble or gets hurt doing something you taught them to do. I'd also take out as much liability insurance as the attorney recommends if not more.

Good legal work is cheap IF you do it before trouble starts.

Okie John

Robinson
06-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Not all of Georgia is pure Derp.

Many of the dealership/ranges in my area offer basic and intermediate training, with one offering more advanced classes as well. I have attended some of these and I consider them pretty good for local training.

One of the places does bring in some independent instructors, but the place I am most familiar with offers classes led by a co-owner of the business. This person has a no-nonsense approach to training, is all about safety, and has a good resume.

So it seems like what you are considering is not far-fetched assuming you can find the right business model and relationships. Being an independent trainer working at local gun ranges does sound somewhat risky to me though.

Sal Picante
06-24-2015, 12:47 PM
NRA insurance will cover other instruction too. Chiarello and Sons was a better carrier (better coverage/mobile training policies/etc.)
Get an umbrella policy through your homeowners insurance too (talk to your agent)

NRA curriculum can be taught in a useful manner too... Good starting point.

SecondsCount
06-24-2015, 01:47 PM
My wife has a firearms training company aimed toward women. Like your class, it is just the basics. Anything advanced and she brings in other instructors for both liability and skill level.

First thing we did is talk with an attorney to make sure we are covered. We also put together a waiver for the students to sign that I can email you if you would like to see an example. The attorney said that a waiver will only cover you so much but it is definitely something you should have. Utah law considers the act of shooting a high-risk activity, similar to horseback riding, motorsports, etc. which helps ease the liability as well. Our insurance is through the NRA.

We are both NRA RSO certified which I think cost $65 for the instruction but did not include NRA fees. I have not taken any other NRA courses but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have those credentials.

You sound like you already have some experience but I think the biggest thing to remember with teaching is keeping it simple. Trying to teach all the angles, tips, tricks, etc. in one sitting is ineffectual. People can only retain so much in one sitting. First time shooters get a very short safety briefing...basically muzzle and trigger finger, and I am a stickler about both. Then we move on to grip, stance, and sight picture. If they have never handled a gun before then a revolver and pistol parts and functions are discussed. Also, targets are setup close, inside of 21 feet, to give the new shooter confidence.

We don't really make much money doing this but it is a nice feeling to get people into the sport and get them started in the right direction.

RoyGBiv
06-24-2015, 03:27 PM
First time shooters get a very short safety briefing...basically muzzle and trigger finger, and I am a stickler about both.
I always talk about hot brass as well. Tell them "when" it happens, be sure to put the gun down FIRST. Better a small burn than a small hole.

Mr Pink
06-25-2015, 12:59 PM
NRA insurance will cover other instruction too. Chiarello and Sons was a better carrier (better coverage/mobile training policies/etc.)
Get an umbrella policy through your homeowners insurance too (talk to your agent)

NRA curriculum can be taught in a useful manner too... Good starting point.
I can also verify as WILSHOOT points out, yes NRA insurance will cover other instruction. I've never heard of Chiarello and Sons, but will look into them.

I also agree that NRA curriculum can be taught in a useful manner and I incorporate different aspects into my own courses.

NRA instructor courses also go over many things you can use for non-NRA courses (How to prepare a course, How use a training team, Preparing to teach, Teaching methods, Organizing your courses, Promoting courses, finances and more).

The best advice I can give a new instructor is to work on your individual skills. Participate in competition USPSA/IDPA a few times a year and attend other courses. Having the ability to self correct will make you a better instructor.

Zhurdan
06-29-2015, 07:07 PM
I always talk about hot brass as well. Tell them "when" it happens, be sure to put the gun down FIRST. Better a small burn than a small hole.

"Appropriate clothing" solves half that battle, but that is good advice.

TAZ
07-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Talk to a lawyer about forming a corp or LLC to limit liability of family as best as possible. I would in no way shape or form do anything that ties family assets to your firearms training venture. Don't take the multi policy discount on insurance or add riders to your home owners policy. Keep the 2 worlds separated by as big a legal gap as humanly possible.

JodyH
07-03-2015, 07:57 AM
I've done ccw classes now for 11 years.
LLC - form one for the business.
NRA creds including RSO give you nationally recognized credentials and a decent core for a basic pistol class curriculum.
The NRA insurance is pretty decent, easy to get and inexpensive, I carry $2M and my primary range is also NRA insured.
Only teach what you are willing and able to back up in a criminal or civil courtroom.
Have fun and don't be "that guy" with the yellow aviators and the 5.11 getup.

HCountyGuy
09-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Posted in the wrong topic; too many windows open.

I r dum