I didn't want to Hijack JFK's thread.

After Action Review
Pistol-Training.com Aim Fast, Hit Fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico August 2011

Instructed by: Todd Green
Hosted by: Tom Jones

Equipment used:
-Smith&Wesson M&P9f
-CCC Looper-Day 1 (hot gun+genitals=OUCH)
-RCS Phantom-Day 2
-RCS double mag pouch used to backfeed a DGL Reverse Cant Magazine Pouch
-Wilderness Ti 5 stitch
-Federal Champion and PMC 115 grain FMJ. 800 rounds used.
-Several gallons of water

Before reading the AAR’s here, it is a very good idea to read Todd’s P-T.c entry on what takes place behind the scenes at an AFHF class.

The Good:

-The way the class is presented. Right from the get go, Todd makes it very clear that he knows what he is doing. Everything, from the registration sheet, the safety briefing, to the jokes. It is all presented in a very concise, very clear, very direct manner. There are no gimmicky words or phrases used. No “taticool” nonsense. The material is uncluttered, and geared to the shooter that has moved on from changing guns three times a month, and hanging 10 pounds of shit from his rifle. Its a class for serious people that want to learn to manipulate a handgun in the fastest, most accurate, most effective way possible.

-Safety. Todd made it damn clear before we touched a gun on the morning of day one, that we were to be absolutely safe. Not mostly safe, not pretty safe, but ABSOLUTELY safe. That said, the class is geared to the serious shooter, and the safety briefing was short and too the point. The people with emergency medicine experience (an EMT-P and two EMT-I’s) were identified, and given jobs. The people responsible for calling 911 were selected and given instructions (multiples of each). We even had a fully stocked trauma kit courtesy of the afore mentioned paramedic. Not once during the weekend was I even slightly uncomfortable with my fellow students gun-handling. A+

-The material of the class is awfully impressive. This is the first formal training I have taken aside-from CHL classes. I researched several instructors before settling on Todd, and my impressions from the AARs I read, and what I garnered from P-T.c were spot on. Todd is not just an instructor-he is a teacher. He engages the student in a style that makes you WANT to learn what he is teaching. The class is fast paced, and demanding, but was not, at least for me, overwhelming. The material is also consistently delivered. Short verbal instruction>Live fire demo (awesome)>slow paced practice>full speed practice. It worked very well for me. Naturally I’ll refrain from delving into the specifics of what is taught in the class, but suffice it to say that you will learn...a lot.

-My gun worked. At some point during the weekend it passed the 2000 round challenge. My holsters worked, although after day one I switched from AIWB to strong side OWB. The volume of shooting made AIWB...uncomfortable. I was really pleased with the Desbiens RCMP I was using. It was the first time I really ran it hard, and both Tom and Todd complimented me on my reloads, I guess it works well for me. I shot both days dressed like I normally do, closed front shirt and jeans. I was trying to take away as much as i could from the class for use in my day to day life, and making no changes to my apparel was one of the best ways to do that.

I shot an advanced FAST (6.71 clean). I learned A LOT. I had a great time, and will absolutely be back.

The Bad:

-It was goddam hot.

-Both Todd and Jimmy were bested by some sort of stinging insect.

Takeaways/Hilarity Ensues

-Aside from learning everything I was doing was to some degree wrong, or poorly executed, and making those adjustments, I also got some new skills, namely the press-out. With hard work on that specific item, I think a coin is within reach.

-I can see my front sight so much better now. We learned a thing or two to help conquer that little problem, and they were very effiective.

I need to work on my shooting on the move. Anything that is challenging standing still is HARD while moving, and the easy stuff ceases to be easy as soon as your feet start moving. Heres to hoping I get a chance to attend a Get SOM class in the near future.

-I had never used or handled a shot timer before this class. Near the end of the last day, Todd handed me the timer, explained the protocol (ask if the shooter is ready, say standby, 2 second count, press the start button), and told me to time his final FAST. I promptly fudged the rather simple directions, and didn’t give him the 2 second delay after I said standby. How does Todd respond? A clean 4.87, while addressing my...inability verbally during the reload. Wow. I managed to get the hang of it after that, and even ran the timer for a few coin attempts. Awesome.

I had an excellent weekend. One thousand thank yous to Tom for bringing Todd to NM, and providing this opportunity.

If AFHF comes to your neighborhood, take it. Period.

-Josh

JFK
09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Nice review Josh. It was great shooting and learning with you. If you ever want to go practice hit me up.

JDM
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I forgot to add, under the hilarity ensues section- Watching the only lady in the class mop the floor with 2/3 of the other shooters in a draw to first hit contest. Awesome.

Nice review Josh. It was great shooting and learning with you. If you ever want to go practice hit me up.

Jay, I will definitely be in touch.