PDA

View Full Version : OIS Cincinnati Ohio

Beat Trash
06-19-2015, 11:59 AM
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/06/19/officer-down-madisonville/28974101/

Officer and suspect both deceased.

I personally haven't worked with Officer Kim in over 15 years, as I'm assigned to another part of the city.

Details still unfolding. More than one officer was at the scene with multiple rounds fired.

I got out of bed today just as my phone blew up...

WobblyPossum
06-19-2015, 12:04 PM
My thoughts are with Officer Kim's family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mmBrad
06-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Prayers sent for Officer Kim's famliy.

breakingtime91
06-19-2015, 02:38 PM
My thoughts are with Officer Kim's family.

Lon
06-19-2015, 03:29 PM
RIP, Brother.

voodoo_man
06-19-2015, 04:56 PM
RIP

Thank you for your service, and rest easy now, we have the watch from here.

gtmtnbiker98
06-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Sorry for your department's loss, BT.

HCM
06-19-2015, 06:08 PM
RIP Officer Kim.

KeeFus
06-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Prayers for you guys and his family.

SWAT Lt.
06-21-2015, 01:17 PM
RIP brother. Thoughts and prayers to Officer Kim's family and his CPD brothers and sisters.

Chuck Whitlock
06-21-2015, 08:51 PM
RIP, Brother.

SeriousStudent
06-22-2015, 12:08 AM
My prayers are with Officer Kim's family, friends and fellow officers.

KevinB
06-22-2015, 08:05 AM
RIP, Prayer to the family and department.

Chuck Haggard
06-22-2015, 02:30 PM
RIP brother

LSP552
06-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Keeping everyone in my prayers.

Lon
06-22-2015, 08:25 PM
This is a stand up thing for UC to do:

http://m.wlwt.com/news/santa-ono-offers-officer-kims-sons-full-scholarships-to-uc/33708190

Beat Trash
06-22-2015, 08:27 PM

http://m.wlwt.com/news/santa-ono-offers-officer-kims-sons-full-scholarships-to-uc/33708190

Yes it was. Which is why I was shocked to hear that UC actually did that.

voodoo_man
06-23-2015, 04:26 AM

Dont know if OH has this or not, but in PA the children of a fallen officer can go to any state school for free, at least its built into our contract....

voodoo_man
06-23-2015, 07:53 AM
RIP, Officer Kim.

Here's where you can find a fairly comprehensive list of survivor benefits by state:

https://www.odmp.org/benefits

Here's the list for OH:

https://www.odmp.org/benefits/state/ohio

Ah cool, looks like they have something similar.

Coyotesfan97
06-23-2015, 09:36 PM
RIP Ofiicer Kim.

Arizona waives the tuition to any of the three universities. ASU, NAU, and last but least UA.

Beat Trash
06-24-2015, 09:03 AM
I don't have the article from the local paper available, but as I remember it, the dean of the University of Cincinnati initially offered Officer Kim's children tuition. Then it was pointed out to him that state law required UC to officer a full ride for each child. So the next day, he generously modified and extended his offer on behalf of the University.

The support I am seeing in Cincinnati and the surrounding area for our slain officer is heartfelt, and I can can not emphasize enough just how strong the support is from all areas. But the generous offer by the head of UC was more for good PR and necessity.

Either way, his teenage kids can go to college.

There was an incident where one of the local new crews showed up at the widows house, the day after. Tried to stick a camera and a mic in her face. They then tried to video his house and interview his neighbors. Showed where they lived also. Officer Kim lived in an outlaying community with a smaller agency. They honestly don't have the staffing to assist so via mutual aid, our Traffic section (unit assigned for traffic enforcement on the highways and investigation fatal A/A's) is sitting on his house 24/7.

There is also some concern that the media may try to crash the funeral. The logistics involved in arranging something like this is massive. One of the supervisors asked for a couple of my guys (I run a 19 man/dog K-9 unit). I gave them three handlers who will peel off of the procession at designated entrances to the cemetery. Once the procession is through, they will block the entrance with their cars and ensure the media does not try to enter. If they dare try, I only hope that they try to resist the arrest...

I am extremely touched at the support the community has shown. Even the parents of the dead suspect have apologized for what their son has done.

I am also livid at the actions of one news crew. As for that, I may in time forgive their actions. But I will not forget what they did.

voodoo_man
06-24-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't have the article from the local paper available, but as I remember it, the dean of the University of Cincinnati initially offered Officer Kim's children tuition. Then it was pointed out to him that state law required UC to officer a full ride for each child. So the next day, he generously modified and extended his offer on behalf of the University.

The support I am seeing in Cincinnati and the surrounding area for our slain officer is heartfelt, and I can can not emphasize enough just how strong the support is from all areas. But the generous offer by the head of UC was more for good PR and necessity.

Either way, his teenage kids can go to college.

There was an incident where one of the local new crews showed up at the widows house, the day after. Tried to stick a camera and a mic in her face. They then tried to video his house and interview his neighbors. Showed where they lived also. Officer Kim lived in an outlaying community with a smaller agency. They honestly don't have the staffing to assist so via mutual aid, our Traffic section (unit assigned for traffic enforcement on the highways and investigation fatal A/A's) is sitting on his house 24/7.

There is also some concern that the media may try to crash the funeral. The logistics involved in arranging something like this is massive. One of the supervisors asked for a couple of my guys (I run a 19 man/dog K-9 unit). I gave them three handlers who will peel off of the procession at designated entrances to the cemetery. Once the procession is through, they will block the entrance with their cars and ensure the media does not try to enter. If they dare try, I only hope that they try to resist the arrest...

I am extremely touched at the support the community has shown. Even the parents of the dead suspect have apologized for what their son has done.

I am also livid at the actions of one news crew. As for that, I may in time forgive their actions. But I will not forget what they did.

We did same locally, the media has a place, if they move from that place or interfere in any way they get ticketed and towed on the spot.

Hell, last officer that was killed in my PD, P/O Wilson, his name was leaked by a local news anchor and posted everywhere online, before his entire family was notified....she got canned and blacklisted from the city.