PDA

View Full Version : The jury process

Glenn E. Meyer
06-17-2015, 10:02 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/how-bias-shapes-juries/395957/

This is an interesting article on the processes of understanding jury biases and manipulations. This is an area of interest to me. It also points out the problem with folks who claim such processes will not affect their 'good shoot'. I recall a thread elsewhere where a poster claimed using a NFA weapon would have no effect on a jury as he (not a lawyer or a jury expert) said that your lawyer would simply tell the jury that your weapon is simply a tool and the judge might not allow the prosecution to point out the seemingly unusual characteristics of the weapon.

If a case is ambiguous, the research indicates that biases start to become potent in decision making. Of course, many claim their shoot will not be ambiguous - surely that will be true for you.

Glenn

Jeep
06-17-2015, 12:59 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/how-bias-shapes-juries/395957/

This is an interesting article on the processes of understanding jury biases and manipulations. This is an area of interest to me. It also points out the problem with folks who claim such processes will not affect their 'good shoot'. I recall a thread elsewhere where a poster claimed using a NFA weapon would have no effect on a jury as he (not a lawyer or a jury expert) said that your lawyer would simply tell the jury that your weapon is simply a tool and the judge might not allow the prosecution to point out the seemingly unusual characteristics of the weapon.

If a case is ambiguous, the research indicates that biases start to become potent in decision making. Of course, many claim their shoot will not be ambiguous - surely that will be true for you.

Glenn

I don't think I'd want to explain to a jury (or a DA) why I was using an NFA weapon. The more you have to explain the less likely you are to win, and it is pretty important to win.

I'd rather use a standard rifle, shotgun or pistol.

BehindBlueI's
06-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Much worry about nothing, IMO, at least in my area. I've sat through many jury selection where gets 36 random folks questioned 12 at a time or until a jury is seated. I think you overestimate the average person's ability to distinguish between a NFA gun and a non-NFA gun. As opposed to race characteristics and the like, they aren't that noticeable nor are they present for much of the trial. There are certainly going to be a lot of prejudices going on, that's just the way the human mind works. Gory crime scene photos, your physical appearance, demeanor in court, etc. are going to be much more present and much more in terms of influence.

I'd rather defend myself with a fully auto suppressed SBR if the resulting photos were relatively neat with clean wounds as opposed to a 3" pocket knife if the resulting photos looked like a Hollywood slasher film. YMMV.

Gadfly
06-17-2015, 03:56 PM
This is an old article semi related to the topic at hand. It questions mock jurors about their perception of a shooting. Given the same circumstances about the incident, but showing the shooting with an AR vs a Mini 14, would it change a jurors perception of the shooting... Interesting read.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/Network_2012-10.pdf

BehindBlueI's
06-17-2015, 04:03 PM
This is an old article semi related to the topic at hand. It questions mock jurors about their perception of a shooting. Given the same circumstances about the incident, but showing the shooting with an AR vs a Mini 14, would it change a jurors perception of the shooting... Interesting read.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/Network_2012-10.pdf

That pretty well backs my point. If you're afraid of using a fully auto rifle, logically you should be equally afraid of using its semi auto counterpart. Most people don't know the difference, and they look the same in photos. If the prejudice is based on how they appear, and they appear the same.....

I bet you'd seen more variation based on the physical description of the homeowner. Frail and elderly for example.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Who wrote that crap in the given link? Why if I met him - I would give him a piece of my mind. How can one believe that? It's written by a psychologist after all? My God!!

I might agree that the difference between a fully auto M4 and a semi AR might not be a major influence. But that could be dependent on the usage.

But we found that the military appearance of the AR compared to the nice gun was important.

GardoneVT
06-17-2015, 04:12 PM
All I can speak to, is that there are some parts of America where a jury would consider an AR15 in the same category as nuclear ordnance.

I am glad I don't live in such a place anymore.

Gadfly
06-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Who wrote that crap in the given link? Why if I met him - I would give him a piece of my mind. How can one believe that? It's written by a psychologist after all? My God!!.

HA! Did not realize that was you. I did not even look at the author. I just remember reading it a few years back.

(Glad I did not trash the article or the author...)

Glenn E. Meyer
06-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Oh, that's ok. When the article came out - some guy on another forum denounced me as being in an evil conspiracy with Mas Ayoob to do something evil.

Takes all kind.

Gadfly
06-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Like I said, "interesting read"... And it stuck with me now for a few years. So mission accomplished! You did a good job.