PDA

View Full Version : Glock trigger experiment in progress.......

Chuck Haggard
06-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Posting this for the good of the order, something I got the idea for and talked to Freddie Bliss about on FB for awhile before we started the ball rolling.

Quote grabbed from my blog page;

Awhile back in a FB discussion thread I asked Freddie Blish of Robar about getting some of the Glock trigger parts from my guns coated with NP3 to try and slick things up as far as trigger pull. Freddie graciously offered to have me send it a couple of sets of parts so I could get them coated and we could try out the concept.

I sent in two sets of; trigger/trigger bar, firing pin, firing pin safety, connector and trigger pin. One was from my primary CCW carry G19 and the other was from a gen 3 G17 I have set up as a training and IDPA/USPSA gun.

I got the parts back today in the mail. Parts are noticeably slicker to the touch, as one might expect from NP3. I installed the parts back in the guns and did the armorer checks, everything checked out normal. I then started dry firing, and noted immediately that the trigger pull on both guns is slicker with zero grit or drag.

Before sundown I got out to the range and put 200 rounds of mixed ball and JHPs through each gun. Reliability was still 100%. While the guns obviously were not magically converted to NM target guns, the smoother triggers were noticeably better and easier to work with.

More to follow.

I greatly prefer sticking to stock parts in the Glocks, due to noted issues in some cases with aftermarket bits, like the connector Todd broke in his gun, etc. So, this keeps the parts stock, just smoother, and it's a better route than the "25 cent trigger job" IMHO.

Kevin B.
06-17-2015, 09:49 AM
An idea what the trigger pulls measured before/after?

Jay Cunningham
06-17-2015, 09:56 AM
What's the cost breakdown vs. aftermarket triggers?

Chuck Haggard
06-17-2015, 10:18 AM
I got some before measurements, need to get the after done. The smoother thing may not show up on the trigger gauge, but it's there.

Jay, not sure if this is going to be the long term deal, but they did both sets for me for $25, shipping/handling was $6, which IMHO is a hell of a good deal. Robar is also looking at the viability of offering preplated Glock parts as a set.

Beat Trash
06-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Was your Glock 19 a gen3 or a gen4?

I'd be curious to see the effect this would have on a gen4 gun.

This would be an excellent idea if they put it into a "kit", with OEM parts that are pre-plated.

okie john
06-17-2015, 11:15 AM
This would be an excellent idea if they put it into a "kit", with OEM parts that are pre-plated.

I'd be on that like white on rice, especially if they smooth them up a little before plating.

Okie John

Chuck Whitlock
06-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Are you still using the "-" connector and NY1 trigger spring?

JBP55
06-17-2015, 01:42 PM
I will send them several sets if they will NP3 two sets for $25.

JHC
06-17-2015, 02:27 PM
I got some before measurements, need to get the after done. The smoother thing may not show up on the trigger gauge, but it's there.

Jay, not sure if this is going to be the long term deal, but they did both sets for me for $25, shipping/handling was $6, which IMHO is a hell of a good deal. Robar is also looking at the viability of offering preplated Glock parts as a set.

That'd be sweet. And LAV could offer them in his next signature edition run. He was polling for ideas the next one some weeks back.

45dotACP
06-17-2015, 06:26 PM

Ears are now perked.

I'd jump on that like...dammit I had something for this.

BWT
06-17-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm curious how the heat of this process, etc. affects the metal in this example (if at all)?

May or may not. It's times like these I miss the input of briehl, and the tests/participation of TLG.

JBP55
06-17-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm curious how the heat of this process, etc. affects the metal in this example (if at all)?

May or may not. It's times like these I miss the input of briehl, and the tests/participation of TLG.

Is this the same thing Bruce Gray does to internal pistol parts?

Luke
06-17-2015, 09:21 PM
The treatment Bruce gray does turns the metal grey. Coincidence? Idk..

OnionsAndDragons
06-18-2015, 01:15 PM
This sounds awesome. I think it would be a very popular thing for Robar to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
06-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Are you still using the "-" connector and NY1 trigger spring?

Yes, although I sent a standard connector so I could try that as well.

Chuck Haggard
06-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Was your Glock 19 a gen3 or a gen4?

I'd be curious to see the effect this would have on a gen4 gun.

Gen 3

Chuck Haggard
06-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Ref NP3, pretty sure that is a Robar proprietary thing and patented. It's VERY slick, even to the touch, metal on metal, if both surfaces are plated, is like greased glass.

Pretty sure also it's electro chemical, so no heat involved, or not much.

farscott
06-18-2015, 04:12 PM
NP3 is electroless as the reaction is autocatalytic. That is the reason why the plating thickness is so uniform as there is no concern about charge distribution based on part geometry. The temperatures involved are well below any needed to impart a shift in the steel. NP3 is essentially electroless nickel with PTFE (teflon). The PTFE is part of the reason for the improved lubrciity.

I have been using an NP3-treated Glock 23 for sometime. It does make the trigger feel smoother.

EVP
06-18-2015, 07:16 PM
I thought they already offered this service in their Norton special, which includes all metal peices being coated.

If they offered OEM components coated that would be awesome.

HopetonBrown
06-18-2015, 07:35 PM
I have the upper parts of a Glock 34 NP3'd. It cost $65, which included the barrel. My connector is TTI which is electroless nickel plated. I can't tell the difference between my 34 and my other Glocks without NP3.

Luke
06-18-2015, 07:48 PM
I have the upper parts of a Glock 34 NP3'd. It cost $65, which included the barrel. My connector is TTI which is electroless nickel plated. I can't tell the difference between my 34 and my other Glocks without NP3.

Who did yours? On Robars website I couldn't find anything that cheap?

HopetonBrown
06-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Who did yours? On Robars website I couldn't find anything that cheap?

https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3866/18319184433_521240f3e4_o.jpg

LSP972
06-18-2015, 08:43 PM
I thought they already offered this service in their Norton special, which includes all metal peices being coated.

The Norton Special package has been around for a while; I had my first one done in 1991.

Basically, it was intended for alloy-frame service weapons that had blued slides and lockwork, like the classic P-series Sigs; which, back in those days, would rust while you watched.

Everything but the frame and barrel was NP3'ed, including one magazine. They would do entire pistols if you asked, but there was a substantial additional charge for the frame. Of course, this was before polymer frames became the norm; Glock had a toe-hold, but was still too new to allay the suspicious nature of LE in general toward new things…:D

The negligent discharge rate among those LE who WERE using Glocks put somewhat of a damper on things, as well, but the dictum of "finger off the trigger until a conscious decision to shoot has been made" was gaining traction at that time… and the rest, as they say, is history.

Done on an all-metal pistol, the Norton Special looks kind of cool. I often wish I still had that sharp-hammer P220 I had done back in the day…