PDA

View Full Version : Seized gun check in

Pages : [1] 2

Lyonsgrid
06-12-2015, 08:00 PM
In keeping with the recent roll call stories thread…

I thought it would be interesting to hear and see what fellow LEO’s are finding on the street dealing with criminals. Also, what’s some cool or unique firearms you’ve run across.

I’ll start.

Yesterday, I searched a registered sex offender on felony parole. What do you know….out from under his bed came a loaded S&W 4” 586 in nickel. Not the usual pot metal .22 I’m use to running across. I’m sure it was stolen, but no hit was found. Had to help out a younger deputy not familiar with revolvers. He initially called in the assembly number off the yoke. Now he knows to remove the grips and look on the end of the frame.

Also, pulled a ½ oz of marijuana and recovered some stolen property. He had some masks and black hoodies in the trunk of his car. Good one to get off the street....for a while.

BehindBlueI's
06-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Not actually a gun, but a robber was using this to hold up fast food joints, mostly Subways:

http://www.topairgun.com/files/2019619/uploaded/Black-Ops-CO2-BB-Exterminator-Revolver_AP-BRB1419_zm2.jpg

It's an incredibly realistic air gun. Each BB is actually on the tip of a fake bullet, the cylinder rotates, you can eject the empties and use a speed loader to put more fake bullets with bbs in.

Gadfly
06-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Tagging in for later.

I have some great photos on my hard drive at the office. But you have to wait until next week when I get back to see them..

Malamute
06-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Yesterday, I searched a registered sex offender on felony parole. What do you know….out from under his bed came a loaded S&W 4” 586 in nickel.

Good one to get off the street....for a while.

Whats going to happen to that georgeous nickel 586? Can really nice people buy them? I dont even speed. Seriously, I dont.

SJC3081
06-12-2015, 08:52 PM
About 1996,46pct Bronx NY. A suppressed full auto grease gun with four loaded 30rd mags.
We suspected we interrupted a drug hit.

KeeFus
06-12-2015, 09:04 PM
One day this past week a guy calls 911 reporting that he had seen a suspect displaying a "9mm" at a stoplight. He was good enough to get a license plate. I went to speak to the complainant and another officer went to the residence to see if the car was there.

I met the complainant who states he saw this guy pointing a "9mm" around the inside of his car. I asked him if he was sure it was a 9mm and not a 45 or a BB gun. He states, "No, it was a 9mm...I know what 9mm's look like and that was a big hole for a barrel...had to be a 9mm." By this time the other officer had confirmed the car was there so I proceeded that way.

I go to the front door, which is open, but the storm door is closed. I peer into it and see our guy sitting on the couch with his "9mm" beside him. I knock and the dude is surprised to see my smiling face. He comes to the door and I explain why we are there. He admits to moving his BB gun around at the stop light. I asked if I could get his BB gun from the couch and he says I can.

http://i.imgur.com/67ZCUgA.jpg

We didnt seize the gun but I told this 19 year old that being a responsible gun owner, should he ever be able to buy one, was not doing what he had done earlier. He agreed.

HCM
06-12-2015, 09:09 PM
2004 -San Jose, CA- a Canadian Outlaw Motorcycle Gang member tried to pull a very nice Colt Trooper Mk III on some Santa Clara SO deputies and myself but immediately thought better of it. At the time, he had $100,000 worth of state warrants for possession for sale methamphetamine, possession of a sawed off shotgun and possession of a silencer. The original shotgun was a single shot / exposed hammer gun. Photos are on a CD somewhere in my garage.

JDM
06-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Great thread idea!

LHS
06-12-2015, 10:38 PM
At least here in AZ they're not allowed to destroy seized guns anymore. It pains me to read about historically significant pieces being cut up for scrap.

voodoo_man
06-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Wish I still had the pix....lets see

Last 12 month's so far, recovered a g23, a g22, two g19s, three .25 autos and a .38spl.

Last few years mostly been 9mm rugers and Taurus pistols. Once in a while we find some sort of sbr or sbs, took a pump off a guy few years ago that was cut down illegally. In 09 dude had a double barrel he cut down to about 16 inches in length used in a robbery then discharged birdshot at me from about 50y.

Rarely seen glocks before last few years, huge increase from last two years though, mostly stolen out of GA, SC, NC.

Also bunches of .22lr revolvers and .25acp semi's, but figured they have to be running out of them.

Earlier in the year got a glocks in 357sig. That was cool, used in a homicide.

JDM
06-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Wish I still had the pix....lets see

Last 12 month's so far, recovered a g23, a g22, two g19s, three .25 autos and a .38spl.

Last few years mostly been 9mm rugers and Taurus pistols. Once in a while we find some sort of sbr or sbs, took a pump off a guy few years ago that was cut down illegally. In 09 dude had a double barrel he cut down to about 16 inches in length used in a robbery then discharged birdshot at me from about 50y.

Rarely seen glocks before last few years, huge increase from last two years though, mostly stolen out of GA, SC, NC.

Also bunches of .22lr revolvers and .25acp semi's, but figured they have to be running out of them.

Earlier in the year got a glocks in 357sig. That was cool, used in a homicide.

When you catch a guy with an unregistered SBR/S, is he charged with a state crime or do you guys hand him over to the ATF?

voodoo_man
06-12-2015, 11:07 PM
When you catch a guy with an unregistered SBR/S, is he charged with a state crime or do you guys hand him over to the ATF?

In the cut down pump I called the atf and they charged him, never saw a day of court for that, big surprise.

For the double barrel, he was charged locally with the state codes (vufa, etc) as well as agg. Assault on police, etc. Since he committed further acts other than possession.

JDM
06-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Interesting. Thanks!

Lyonsgrid
06-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Here is a more common example of a “street gat.”
Pot metal classic - Imperial Metal Products model 7 .22 short revolver.

Lyonsgrid
06-13-2015, 07:50 AM
...Rarely seen glocks before last few years, huge increase from last two years though, mostly stolen out of GA, SC, NC.

Earlier in the year got a glocks in 357sig...

I interviewed a parole who is confirmed Black Guerrilla Family out of Atlanta. He told me the young G’s are being taught to target vehicles with “pig stamps” to break in looking for weapons. Followed up on the term “pig stamps” and determined he was talking about the blue line stickers and plates. Something to think about for sure.

May be one reason why we are seeing more quality service type weapons on the street.

Beat Trash
06-13-2015, 08:22 AM
I see two distinct and different approaches. The younger "Boyz" are the ones being arrested carrying a Hi- Point in 9mm or 45. The older ones (22-25 years old plus) are looking for better things. We are on a new push to reduce violence in my city. The District Commander where I work thinks a cork board where officers place pictures of confiscated weapons will motivate them (Of course, going 6 years without a pay raise, only to get 1.5% spread over 3 years tends to put a damper on them). I saw a confiscated Sig 320 9mm before I held one in a gun store. A couple of days ago, there was a HK p2000sk 9mm. Locks are the favorite of the experienced players. Although I am starting to see some M&P's.

Long guns like AR's and AK's are being taken more and more often.

In my city, the guns get crushed. One of my friends and a fellow Sergeant who is assigned to the unit who has to take the weapons and drugs to be destroyed tried to get approval to have a Judge release confiscated AR's to the Department. He wanted the guns to be checked by one of the armors, and if serviceable, put into circulation with the rest of the agency pool guns. The concept never even made it to the Chief's desk as it got nixed along the way.

Lyons grid mentioned thugs being taught to target cars that have a higher odds of having a gun in the car. This is why I personally don't go for the "Trunk Gun" concept. I do keep a couple extra pistol magazines in the front drivers area.

LSP972
06-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Here is a more common example of a “street gat.”

Not around here. True, your basic Rohm RG-10 (pot metal .22 revolver like the one pictured) was what we mainly saw for many years; but those days are long gone. We see as many Glocks, Stigmas, Rugers, and Tauri as we do HiPoints, Lorcins, Jimenez Arms (what used to be Jennings), Bryco Arms, etc. blowback junk. Yes, a lot of the "higher-end" (if you want to refer to a Stigma or a Tauri as higher-end) pieces are stolen, but many of them are legally purchased by babymommas and such- with clean records- along with the ammunition. Whatever ball is cheapest on the shelf is usually found in the magazines, but we're seeing more and more JHPs as well. Academy Sports is one of the favored sources here, BTW. And we can always tell when a certain rather nice LGS a bit south of here has their annual big S&W sale; we see an influx of Stigmas. Although, now that S&W has dropped the SW-VE (Stigma) line and replaced it with the more expensive SD-VE (Enhanced Stigma) line, we're not seeing as many of those.

I guess the most memorable seized piece that I have seen come though the lab (aside from the genuine 1910 Colt .45ACP; that was truly a sad day) was the gold-plated AK, with a gold-plated bicycle chain for a sling.

I would love to be able to share some photos of the stuff we see, which can be pretty interesting... but the boss would have a stroke (and my ass).

LSP552
06-13-2015, 08:54 AM
I guess the most memorable seized piece that I have seen come though the lab (aside from the genuine 1910 Colt .45ACP; that was truly a sad day) was the gold-plated AK, with a gold-plated bicycle chain for a sling.

I would love to be able to share some photos of the stuff we see, which can be pretty interesting... but the boss would have a stroke (and my ass).

It's been many years since I wandered around in the lab gun room. But, I remember handling a Clark Sr long slide 1911 used in some ancient shooting. That was a true work of art.

LSP972
06-13-2015, 08:58 AM
It's been many years since I wandered around in the lab gun room. But, I remember handling a Clark Sr long slide 1911 used in some ancient shooting. That was a true work of art.

That one is still in the reference collection. The "home made" suppressed Dixie Mafia Ruger MkII is pretty cool too. Lots of character and history back in that vault…

SLG
06-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Just in the past year, we have taken AR's, AK, Saiga 12's, 92FS, Glocks, and more. All from gang members.

JV_
06-13-2015, 09:47 AM
The PD which is responsible for my work locations took in a Colt 1903.

HCM
06-13-2015, 10:26 AM

My Canadian was a previously deported felon and his state SBS / suppressor warrants originated out of a different judicial district so we prosecuted him for illegal re-entry and illegal alien in possession of a firearm . The ATF in central CA the. adopted his state SBS / suppessor case. Since he had the SBS and suppressor in the same duffel bag as the meth they also hit him with an armed drug trafficking enhancement which was a 15 year mandatory minimum at the time.

Last few guns we've had have been a gen 3 Glock 19 with 33 round mag (stolen locally), a hi point 9mm and an old Savage 22 bolt action. The guy with the .22 was an illegal alien wanted for alien smuggling but it was in his house, not on his person so we had the local SO seize it. Funny thing is his wife, also an illegal alien kept calling the SO demanding the gun back.

41magfan
06-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Hopefully this will be interpreted as relative and not an attempt to derail the "seized" aspect of the OP:

I did a stint in a training assignment one time that had evidence custody and disposition attached to it as part of the duties. We routinely put the torch to just about every collectible firearm you could imagine. Many were recovered as being directly related to certain crimes and some were just incidental seizures to other criminal activity.

I particularly remember getting a bit teary-eyed over the destruction of guns like original Colt 1911A1's, 4 and 5-screw Smith & Wesson's, P-38's, Walthers, Fox and Ithaca double-barrels, and Winchester rim-fire rifles made in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

As a gun person, there were no words to describe the practice other than it was just sinful.

Al T.
06-13-2015, 12:58 PM
I work at a LGS that routinely gets confiscated guns from in state agencies. Latest batch had everything from a Model 61 Winchester to 20ish RGs/Lorcins. We are seeing more high end handguns though, with the vast majority of this latest trade-in being reasonably decent handguns.

As far as gun thefts, it's a rare month when someone does not call in with a request that we try to figure out their stolen firearm's serial number. I'm under the impression that most are stolen from vehicles...

45dotACP
06-13-2015, 01:00 PM
A lot to be learned from this thread I think. Just a thought, but perhaps the idea of a "truck gun" in an urbanized area is more derp than not? I'm guilty of the practice myself, but perhaps it would be wise to reconsider after looking at this...

41magfan
06-13-2015, 01:26 PM
A lot to be learned from this thread I think. Just a thought, but perhaps the idea of a "truck gun" in an urbanized area is more derp than not? I'm guilty of the practice myself, but perhaps it would be wise to reconsider after looking at this...

I've done the truck gun thing occasionally in years past, but no more. Irrespective of just losing a gun, I don't relish the idea of facing a crook that might not have even been armed till he got MY gun. In my area of the world, it's probably the #1 method criminals gain possession of guns. Many of these thefts from cars go unreported, too.

SLG
06-13-2015, 01:30 PM
I've done the truck gun thing occasionally in years past, but no more. Irrespective of just losing a gun, I don't relish the idea of facing a crook that might not have even been armed till he got MY gun. In my area of the world, it's probably the #1 method criminals gain possession of guns. Many of these thefts from cars go unreported, too.

Couldn't agree more. Even living in much "better" areas of the country, I can't really condone a truck gun. At least as of today, a concealed handgun is still the best option. When that changes, my rifle will be with me, not left in the truck.

BobM
06-13-2015, 02:20 PM
We also have a nickel 586. It was confiscated in the early 90s when a local guy entered one of the frat houses to confront some of the residents for reasons I don't recall. The frat boys thrashed him and took the gun from him. When being booked he actually asked if he could file charges on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BobM
06-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Last year we also took in a full auto Uzi after a D/V incident.

BehindBlueI's
06-13-2015, 05:11 PM

I understand the arguments, but I'd it's not well secured I think you're more likely to arm a thug then use it yourself.

voodoo_man
06-13-2015, 05:45 PM
The only issue I have with car guns is that a vehicle is a movable object. At any time that vehicle may be stolen, broken into or towed and now you are going to either recover the vehicle, hoping that car gun is there or report it missing, since locally you must do so in 10 days (might be 7, they keep changing it).

Out in the county, while it is still the same, the chance of your vehicle being broken into or stolen is less.

Worst thing to happen is have your firearm stolen and used feloniously.

5pins
06-13-2015, 06:46 PM
We get a lot of Glocks. Mostly form Puerto Rico, a lot of them converted to full auto.

Some of the more notably we have gotten, in off the top of my head is: Beretta 93R, Thompson sub gun, and a full auto Mauser Broomhandle.

JDM
06-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Last year we also took in a full auto Uzi after a D/V incident.

Was it a registered NFA firearm?

23JAZ
06-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Couldn't agree more. Even living in much "better" areas of the country, I can't really condone a truck gun. At least as of today, a concealed handgun is still the best option. When that changes, my rifle will be with me, not left in the truck.

I have a steel box bolted into my trunk for my AR. While living in Vermont I didn't think twice about keeping my AR in there. Now that I moved to AZ the only gun in the car is the one on my hip.

MD7305
06-13-2015, 08:40 PM
My most recent confiscation was a convicted felon pocket carrying a Walther PPX .40, not as obvious as you'd imagine. Same guy had a locked and loaded .40 HiPoint carbine in the rear passenger compartment of his vehicle. The Walther threw me off, around here is mostly Sigmas, HiPoints, Taurus and an occasional Glock.

MD7305
06-13-2015, 08:42 PM
We get a lot of Glocks. Mostly form Puerto Rico, a lot of them converted to full auto.

Some of the more notably we have gotten, in off the top of my head is: Beretta 93R, Thompson sub gun, and a full auto Mauser Broomhandle.

Holy smokes! Remind me to avoid your AO!

BobM
06-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Was is a registered NFA firearm?

No and I don't know how he acquired it. I think he was already a convicted felon.

45dotACP
06-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Man...I would beg on hands and knees for the chief to let me use the mauser as a sidearm and keep the stock in the car for use as a patrol rifle...because it's classy :)

HCM
06-13-2015, 09:55 PM
I
No and I don't know how he acquired it. I think he was already a convicted felon.

Was it a conversion ? Many moons ago I saw an FN manufactured Uzi seized in NYC - it traced back as gun purchased by the government of Jamaica as an LE or military weapon.

BobM
06-13-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't know. The case and the weapon were turned over to the ATF as I recall

LHS
06-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I went to the last couple of 'gun buybacks' here in Phoenix with cash in hand, hoping to save some historical pieces from the smelter. I didn't get anything worthwhile, but the Phoenix PD guys working the event sympathized with us. They were damn near teary-eyed when a lady brought in a bringback P08 and refused to sell it. She wanted that gun destroyed, and nobody could convince her otherwise.

5pins
06-14-2015, 07:44 AM

They are federal seizures, so if you are in the U.S. you’re in the AO.

The stuff we see run the gambit from cheap and plenty to rare and expensive.

JDM
06-14-2015, 08:43 AM

A Beretta 93R? Awesome.

5pins
06-14-2015, 10:31 AM
A Beretta 93R? Awesome.

Someday I’m going get around to shooting it and the Broomhandle.

45dotACP
06-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Someday I’m going get around to shooting it and the Broomhandle.
My envy is considerable.

voodoo_man
06-14-2015, 11:18 AM
My envy is considerable.

Is it wrong I read that in Spock's voice?

Mitchell, Esq.
06-14-2015, 12:53 PM
As an attorney who works criminal defense, the coolest guns I ever got released from lockup and returned to the owners:

1) M60 machinegun
2) Colt Commando (Full auto)
3) 14 inch SBS Benelli
4) Mint to 98% condition M-16 with "Safe/Semi/Full" trigger installed
5) Suppressed M-11

for my next trick...

I'm working on a BAR. :)

JDM
06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
As an attorney who works criminal defense, the coolest guns I ever got released from lockup and returned to the owners:

1) M60 machinegun
2) Colt Commando (Full auto)
3) 14 inch SBS Benelli
4) Mint to 98% condition M-16 with "Safe/Semi/Full" trigger installed
5) Suppressed M-11

for my next trick...

You're doing the lord's work.

Mitchell, Esq.
06-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Too bad the state police won't let me liberate the content of the gun vault more often.

GardoneVT
06-14-2015, 02:07 PM

***the following said in TV announcer voice****

From the TV producers whove brought you LAW AND ORDER.....

Starring Mitchell, Esq.....

BAR EXAM. This fall on Fox.

Is YOUR Browning safe?

(Not available to all markets.Not Applicable to TV subscribers in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, California, Illinois,Conneticutt, Massachusetts, Washington DC & Washington State.Void where prohibited.)

BehindBlueI's
06-14-2015, 02:27 PM
.32 break top Iver Johnson.

Mitchell, Esq.
06-14-2015, 02:33 PM
***the following said in TV announcer voice****

From the TV producers whove brought you LAW AND ORDER.....

Starring Mitchell, Esq.....

BAR EXAM. This fall on Fox.

Is YOUR Browning safe?

(Not available to all markets.Not Applicable to TV subscribers in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, California, Illinois,Connecticut, Massachusetts, Washington DC & Washington State.Void where prohibited.)

Bad guy in the freshly dug grave in the woods, "You can't do this...you're a lawyer. You're suppose to be a good guy!!"

Lawyer, "I cheated on the ethics portion of the bar exam."

GUNSHOT

Cop 1, "You a cold MF..."

Lawyer hands the cop the stump of what used to be a Weatherby .300 Win Mag rifle before one of his clients who was going to jail dropped it off at his office with the understanding that it would be turned into the police 'no questions asked.' What was once a proud hunting firearm was a chopped, ugly sawn off rifle fit only for the rudest use. The attorney, dressed in torn suit pants, a blood stained pinstrip shirt and slippers checks his split lip and says, "Tell the DA his problem is solved and I'll be in touch. I'm gonna get some stitches..." and walks off to the stolen, beaten up BMW of indeterminate age and condition.

Cop 2, "Is he on our side?"

Cop 1, "That crazy bastard is on his own side..."

SLG
06-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Bad guy in the freshly dug grave in the woods, "You can't do this...you're a lawyer. You're suppose to be a good guy!!"

Lawyer, "I cheated on the ethics portion of the bar exam."

GUNSHOT

Cop 1, "You a cold MF..."

Lawyer hands the cop the stump of what used to be a Weatherby .300 Win Mag rifle before one of his clients who was going to jail dropped it off at his office with the understanding that it would be turned into the police 'no questions asked.' What was once a proud hunting firearm was a chopped, ugly sawn off rifle fit only for the rudest use. The attorney, dressed in torn suit pants, a blood stained pinstrip shirt and slippers checks his split lip and says, "Tell the DA his problem is solved and I'll be in touch. I'm gonna get some stitches..." and walks off to the stolen, beaten up BMW of indeterminate age and condition.

Cop 2, "Is he on our side?"

Cop 1, "That crazy bastard is on his own side..."

Premeditate much? :-)

Paul
06-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Recovered an M240G stolen from Camp Lejeune, a bunch of AK's and 106 kilos of meth from the attic an abandoned dope house. Some dope dealer's babymama lived there, and it appeared that he was using it as a store house. When he went to prison, his babymama got evicted for not paying rent and she moved out. The new tenants came across the candy store in the attic when they were moving in. Fortunately they heeded my advice to not move in, someone came back and broke out the ceiling and all the sheet rock a couple weeks later.

Went to a call where an old lady wanted us to take a pristine Colt M1917 to the property room. I offered to come back after work and buy it from her for $500, she declined and said she wanted it destroyed.

Worked a suicide where the guy that shot himself had NIB guns stacked floor to ceiling. We ended up putting 350ish rifles, shotguns and pistols in protective custody in the property room. I tracked down his estranged daughter, who would have been his next of kin, but she refused to claim any of his property. No one ever claimed his estate and all the guns got destroyed.

When I worked at the property room I got to see some neat stuff come in. There were a lot of guns that came back with extensive histories up and down the I35 corridor when they are recovered and entered into NIBIN.

JDM
06-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Recovered an M240G stolen from Camp Lejeune...

Whoa. Can you share any more of this story?

45dotACP
06-15-2015, 12:48 AM
Is it wrong I read that in Spock's voice?

It's only logical...

Paul
06-15-2015, 02:28 AM
Whoa. Can you share any more of this story?

Well I went to an abandoned property call at a rental where the new tenants found some drugs in the attic. I was expecting the usual little bag of dope, a bong collection, or something minor that the previous tenants left when they moved out. I got a bit of a surprise when I went up in the attic. Got some more officers out there and got everything out of the attic. I didn't particularly want to deal with that amount of dope and was finally able to call someone, who knew someone, who new someone on the HIDTA (DEA) task force, and they came and picked everything up. I explained to the people that were moving in that whoever left the drugs would come back for them eventually and wouldn't hesitate to kill the people who lost the drugs, and they got the clue and packed there stuff back in the Uhaul. A few days later I went to the DEA to fill out an affidavit on the call and got the back story. I don't know the particulars of how the 240 was stolen. My guess is that the 240 was on its way to Mexico.

JDM
06-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks!

Gadfly
06-16-2015, 01:36 PM
This is a gun we seized during an alien smuggling case. Serial is scratched off, but the custom "bitch" logo actually led us to the owner, a U.S. Marshal who had it stolen from him. So, crook got charged and the owner got his property back after some ATF wrangling about the serial number.

We never did hear why he engraved "Bitch" on the slide....

(Sorry for the granny photo, I had to take pictures of my computer monitor due to a network issue...)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/097bad5a6ab34136d4d538969cf3de4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theJanitor
06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
WOW.. that's a really nice GCNM

Gadfly
06-16-2015, 05:23 PM
We seized this AR180 during a alien smuggling case/hostage buy out. Bad guy guarding the aliens had this gun sitting on the sofa by him when we got there. He did not grab it, he chose to jump through a plate glass window. They don't break as easily in real life as they do on TV.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/452b0bda204ac0d32b6ae0fb270df275.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/34b0cac38045eff6f2f697ce99a4ad72.jpg

Gadfly
06-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Not "seized" guns. But former issued duty guns shortly before their destruction. Broke my heart to watch them destroyed. The Colt a Detective specials were Customs guns in the 70s-80s, the old 4" smiths were Border Patrol guns in the 40s-50s... And thanks to Clintons Executive order, all surplus firearms had to be destroyed, and not "re introduced into commerce". We destroyed a lot of history about 10 years ago.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/dd30b246671ce7db4545131840f803fe.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/7f6c8b2c87cc395b4233e1805d36f4f3.jpg

5pins
06-17-2015, 11:17 AM
I found some pictures it took last year.

The pistols in this picture are not seized but INS guns recovered from the World Trade Center.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-G9g5GqPcJW0/VYF5V3A0rcI/AAAAAAAAA5g/9XmHYNTbrM4/w756-h567-no/IMG_0060.JPG

This one is the Broomhandle I talked about earlier.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hP-2hxv0J5o/VYF5W2cr3jI/AAAAAAAAA5o/Un1CK5Jm_pk/w756-h567-no/IMG_0059.JPG

This is a Colt Peacemaker made in the early 1900’s

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VTh4X9aBBT0/VYF5X--gavI/AAAAAAAAA5w/V4ySZc7XWJA/w756-h567-no/IMG_0058.JPG

45dotACP
06-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Not "seized" guns. But former issued duty guns shortly before their destruction. Broke my heart to watch them destroyed. The Colt a Detective specials were Customs guns in the 70s-80s, the old 4" smiths were Border Patrol guns in the 40s-50s... And thanks to Clintons Executive order, all surplus firearms had to be destroyed, and not "re introduced into commerce". We destroyed a lot of history about 10 years ago.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/dd30b246671ce7db4545131840f803fe.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/7f6c8b2c87cc395b4233e1805d36f4f3.jpg

That's practically a crime against humanity

Gadfly
06-17-2015, 11:56 AM
edited

Gadfly
06-17-2015, 12:18 PM
It was indeed a tragedy. I enjoyed seeing so much history, but hated to see it destroyed.

We melted down Colts, Smiths, Glocks, Augs, MP5s and much more. It was a gun holocaust. We did get to save two of each model for entry into the "historical reference vault". That vault (huge room) has two of most every gun ever made. And they do save some guns that have historical significance. (Historically significant, like a two digit serial number 1911, or a Luger serial number 00009... Things like that)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/c36254feacb13a7cd584cbd0ea6a4c02.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/c17ddb4fdc86d3fa70bba3d221f9b5e4.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/51b28655bb69a05d39cd03c16a0beab9.jpg

Chuck Whitlock
06-17-2015, 01:16 PM
And thanks to Clintons Executive order, all surplus firearms had to be destroyed, and not "re introduced into commerce".

We melted down Colts, Smiths, Glocks, Augs, MP5s and much more.

I strongly feel that those responsible for such programs should've been criminally charged with destruction of Government property, i.e.-pissing away our tax dollars.

If only.

Gadfly
06-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Back on topic. We seized this gun and a lot of dope a few years back...

Old Remington Rand 1911, nickel plated. The grips were actually metal, and appeared to be actual gold plated... Ruined a nice piece of history.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/f8a8004e713f40f8fb5199cbb2ccf72d.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/0e25475206877604bb354996008df436.jpg

LSP972
06-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah, we've had a few genuine 1911A1s come through here that were customized by Bubba's Bumper Chrome and Donut Shop.

Its enough to make you cry.

LSP552
06-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Back on topic. We seized this gun and a lot of dope a few years back...

Old Remington Rand 1911, nickel plated. The grips were actually metal, and appeared to be actual gold plated... Ruined a nice piece of history.

Those Detective Specials make me cry. My issued .45 as an Army MP at Ft. Polk in 1974 was a pristine Remington Rand.

TxShooter
06-17-2015, 06:58 PM
A lot of our recovered stolen guns are taken from unlocked vehicles. For a while there it seemed like Glocks in .357 SIG and Sigma .40s were the front runners. A new sporting goods store just opened so we're seeing an influx of Cobra derringers. Dope warrants sometimes turn up better quality...one guy had a Colt Anaconda, a Clark long slide 1911, S&W 3906, and a couple of Beretta 92 commemoratives. Another felon/doper had a Barrett .50, a stack of Winchester M12s, and a few early import FN-FALs.

wilco423
06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
We just had a (once) nice Beretta O/U go for destruction. Of course, someone had hacksawed the barrels off to the front of the fore-end and cut off the stock, so it was sort of like putting it out of its misery.

Gadfly
06-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Did someone say "sawed off"? Here is a lovely custom sawed off SKS taken from local smuggling enthusiasts....

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/18/6fae919f28bbab7368d529c2a812ece7.jpg

Al T.
06-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Looks like someone confused the rear sight for an accelerator.... :D

TDA
06-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Back in 2003 when I was... an intern (when I called the State Police barracks and told them I was a legal intern at the State's Attorneys office they always used to hang up on me so I still hate saying that) anyway my boss had a guy who got nabbed with an IMI/Action Arms uzi carbine banging away out his car window. We had it in our office evidence locker and I got to handle it. There was a nonlethal hit on a bystander through the wall of a nearby dwelling during the otherwise futile drive by. I suggested to my boss that since it was a banned assault weapon at the time she should charge the additional D felony. She basically told me to go make mud pies in the yard; grown ups were talking. IIRC the guy got 46 years for attempted murder and my former boss is a Judge now.

5pins
07-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Not normal seizures, but we got a crate of stuff in, mostly NFA. I don’t know the story behind them but here are some of the highlights.
UZI
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IPbdLLE-oS4/VaA-Opru58I/AAAAAAAAA8M/Gu5cpP_sCVE/s640-Ic42/IMG_0701.JPG
BAR

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5fjH642H0TA/VaA-Qpd1UtI/AAAAAAAAA9I/ldjCEcQlJlw/s912-Ic42/IMG_0694.JPG
M60
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TxgLD0hAK3o/VaA-iPzQcMI/AAAAAAAAA7U/UZ5X-uJjowU/s640-Ic42/IMG_0695.JPG
Mac 11 .380
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-k8Uj8u1U0Qg/VaA-jBEWo3I/AAAAAAAAA8U/0UzmAhh-V8k/s640-Ic42/IMG_0696.JPG
A Star model B full auto.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j8RUH0p4klA/VaA-okt3iKI/AAAAAAAAA8k/QZcHn1kUub4/s640-Ic42/IMG_0699.JPG
A Danish Madsen as near as I can tell.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UjLfyFfwQ6c/VaA-zH6aDZI/AAAAAAAAA70/O_f9myOzUxs/s640-Ic42/IMG_0697.JPG
I haven’t figured out what this is yet.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x7VZ7oxMOJk/VaA-0m3x1yI/AAAAAAAAA78/FO8X1ZwZsIc/s640-Ic42/IMG_0698.JPG

JDM
07-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Are these destined for the torch?

ranger
07-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Not normal seizures, but we got a crate of stuff in, mostly NFA. I don’t know the story behind them but here are some of the highlights.
UZI
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IPbdLLE-oS4/VaA-Opru58I/AAAAAAAAA8M/Gu5cpP_sCVE/s640-Ic42/IMG_0701.JPG
BAR

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5fjH642H0TA/VaA-Qpd1UtI/AAAAAAAAA9I/ldjCEcQlJlw/s912-Ic42/IMG_0694.JPG
M60
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TxgLD0hAK3o/VaA-iPzQcMI/AAAAAAAAA7U/UZ5X-uJjowU/s640-Ic42/IMG_0695.JPG
Mac 11 .380
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-k8Uj8u1U0Qg/VaA-jBEWo3I/AAAAAAAAA8U/0UzmAhh-V8k/s640-Ic42/IMG_0696.JPG
A Star model B full auto.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j8RUH0p4klA/VaA-okt3iKI/AAAAAAAAA8k/QZcHn1kUub4/s640-Ic42/IMG_0699.JPG
A Danish Madsen as near as I can tell.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UjLfyFfwQ6c/VaA-zH6aDZI/AAAAAAAAA70/O_f9myOzUxs/s640-Ic42/IMG_0697.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x7VZ7oxMOJk/VaA-0m3x1yI/AAAAAAAAA78/FO8X1ZwZsIc/s640-Ic42/IMG_0698.JPG

I want to say the mystery MG is a Johnson from WW2....?

Paul
07-10-2015, 06:48 PM

Holy F-word, if I'm not mistaken that's a Melvin Johnson and/or Eugene Stoner designed prototype LMG that predated the AR10/AR15. That design is the basis for the Armalite X01, basically it's the grandfather of the AR platform. Your best bet for info is Knight's Armament. Don't know how you got it, but that's too cool.

TGS
07-10-2015, 06:49 PM

Johnson M1944 light machine gun.

:(

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/light-machine-guns/johnson-m1944e1/

Paul
07-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Found a link to another site with some info, with a user manual.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/light-machine-guns/johnson-m1944e1/

RoyGBiv
07-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Holy F-word, if I'm not mistaken that's a Melvin Johnson and/or Eugene Stoner designed prototype LMG that predated the AR10/AR15. That design is the basis for the Armalite X01, basically it's the grandfather of the AR platform. Your best bet for info is Knight's Armament. Don't know how you got it, but that's too cool.

Would be tragic to see that crushed/melted.

Wondering Beard
07-10-2015, 07:00 PM

The argument could be made that it belongs in a museum and should be donated.

5pins
07-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Are these destined for the torch?

At some point its possible.

5pins
07-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Yep sure looks like a Johnson. I will take a closer look at it next week if I have time.

JDM
07-10-2015, 07:14 PM
At some point its possible.

That is fucking terrible.

Paul
07-10-2015, 07:45 PM

You try not to think about it sometimes. The amount of history lost to the whims of nitwits is painful. When we had one of our last revolver guys retire, his Colt got chopped. It was in terrible shape, but after 32 years of service, it deserved to a retirement too.

A lot of armorers, ballistic and property room guys go to great length to preserve "reference material" for future investigations. If allowed, something like that shouldn't be too hard to save.

Lon
07-10-2015, 11:30 PM
I helped another agency with a search warrant a few weeks ago. We seized almost 200 guns. The highlights were:

Barrett M82A1
Ohio Ordnance Works Browning 1919A4 (semi-auto)
Numerous FALs/ARs
And much, much more........

Trooper224
07-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Years ago, while working in the southwestern part of our state, I took a german MP38 off of a drunken nightwatchmen at a feedlot. The next week, a local resident walked into the county SO with a vintage Thompson he'd found in the ditch along the highway. Of course, the deputies and I had to take them both to the range just to make sure they were safe.

Nephrology
07-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Years ago, while working in the southwestern part of our state, I took a german MP38 off of a drunken nightwatchmen at a feedlot. The next week, a local resident walked into the county SO with a vintage Thompson he'd found in the ditch along the highway. Of course, the deputies and I had to take them both to the range just to make sure they were safe.

Why do I never find vintage Thompsons in ditches alongside the highway?

Dos Cylindros
07-11-2015, 04:38 PM
One of my former partners seized a nicely engraved 1911 which had "For my friend, from Pablo Escobar," in Spanish on the side of the slide. I don't know what eventually happened to it once the case was adjudicated.

Paul
07-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Recovered a Beretta over under shotgun tonight, with the barrel sawed off about an inch in front of the handguards. Absolutely gorgeous wood and incredible engraving. Whoever had it, left it in their hotel room and the maid found it. The report listed it as a $22,000 shotgun. I put it property as three separate items, hopefully the property room guys don't make a big deal about releasing the receiver and forearm to the owner.

Malamute
07-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Recovered a Beretta over under shotgun tonight, with the barrel sawed off about an inch in front of the handguards. Absolutely gorgeous wood and incredible engraving. Whoever had it, left it in their hotel room and the maid found it. The report listed it as a $22,000 shotgun. I put it property as three separate items, hopefully the property room guys don't make a big deal about releasing the receiver and forearm to the owner.

I thought of it when the earlier post was up about the over/under that was chopped. Barrel assemblies are often available for fine grade shotguns, as are stocks and other parts. Some guys end up with several types and gauges of barrels for their guns. My dad used to swap stocks for better grade wood when he found guns that patterned how he wanted.

It shouldnt be too much of a problem to get it back running with a legal set of barrels, considering the overall value of the gun.

Ptrlcop
07-12-2015, 12:22 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/2e6675ab7475e45514ce2bebe823cdfb.jpg

Two weeks ago. A SCAR, AR pistol, and just shy of 12lbs of weed. Not pictured from the same seizure was another at pistol and a stolen 9mm suppressor.

A week before that we recovered a stolen kimber ultra cdp II with a crimson trace laser.

Last night I got a stainless, railed, beretta 96 vertec that had been reported stolen from Nashville in 2003. Didn't take a pic though.

I'm always curious to see how far and wide stolen firearms travel. We had a gun store burglarized a few years ago and they have been recovered all over the Midwest and always from somebody with Latin King ties. Kind of proves how our local "wanna be" gangsters are actually tied in to the organization.

Lester Polfus
07-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Right before I left in 2002, one of my co-workers had recovered a stolen H&K 94. For those of you without your HK decoder ring handy, that's the civilian, semi-auto version of the MP-5 with a 16' barrel. The guy that owned it had reported it stolen, actually had a serial number and etc. It turned up a couple towns over, with the barrel, badly shortened, probably with a hacksaw so it stuck out just past the fore end.

They guy was trying to get his gun back, and nobody could figure out a legal way to make it happen. We didn't have the ability to take the barrel out of the receiver, and we couldn't give it back to him as an illegal SBR. I'm guessing he never got it back.

Trooper224
07-12-2015, 02:13 AM
Why do I never find vintage Thompsons in ditches alongside the highway?

I happened to be in the Sheriff's Office when the old farmer brought it in and thought the same thing. After taking the schmeiser off that guy the week before I wondered what was next, a BAR or MG42?

Mitchell, Esq.
07-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Right before I left in 2002, one of my co-workers had recovered a stolen H&K 94. For those of you without your HK decoder ring handy, that's the civilian, semi-auto version of the MP-5 with a 16' barrel. The guy that owned it had reported it stolen, actually had a serial number and etc. It turned up a couple towns over, with the barrel, badly shortened, probably with a hacksaw so it stuck out just past the fore end.

They guy was trying to get his gun back, and nobody could figure out a legal way to make it happen. We didn't have the ability to take the barrel out of the receiver, and we couldn't give it back to him as an illegal SBR. I'm guessing he never got it back.

Apply male-female measurement and make the barrel 20 inches.

Problem solved?

(ATF will go for it. What can go wrong?)

Poconnor
07-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I seem to remember hearing about a similar cut 94. If the barrel was plugged couldn't it be returned to owner for repair?

Gadfly
07-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Can't you weld a barrel extension/shroud on? Like a fake can? Bring it back up to 16"....

Dr. No
07-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Meth dealer. He bragged to everyone that he had a full auto machine gun. Hanging on the door to his shed (where he lived) was a 10/22 with duct taped upside down 50 round mags, 4-10x scope, laser, light, sling, and folding stock.

"Thug Life"

This was seized along with several grand in cash, a few pounds of meth, and a (no shit) 3' dildo. It was in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and it curled around itself.

Convicted felon, just out of the pen. Bag of weed in his pocket and .25 on the kitchen bar. I hook him up for the tiny bit of weed (crooks always go no matter what) and he asks me to get some of his cash to take with him to jail. He leads me to the kitchen pantry where there's a tool box with a bunch of junk. He tells me which drawer to open and I see his Texas Department of Corrections release paperwork and his TDC ID card. There's also a good 20 rounds of loose 12 ga ammo rolling around in the same drawer.

I look behind me and there's a duck gun leaning up in the corner. His old lady tried to say all the guns were hers. C-ya.

Gadfly
07-12-2015, 05:06 PM
A high point found mixed in with poop paper. Where it belongs. (Illegal aliens typically don't flush used toilet paper. And we have to search everywhere. We have found over $10k in poop paper piles... Nasty part of the job.)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/12/a4f674a234804e92478fae3ee1b551ce.jpg

And a Taurus in the trash, where it belongs. At least not much poop paper this time.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/12/b2c1a56166a6cd221f06857647680eed.jpg

Suvorov
07-12-2015, 05:48 PM
A high point found mixed in with poop paper. Where it belongs. (Illegal aliens typically don't flush used toilet paper. And we have to search everywhere. We have found over $10k in poop paper piles... Nasty part of the job.)

OK, why don't they flush the paper? I'm guessing they are used to septic systems?

I'm actually surprised at the number of full auto firearms. Where are these guns coming from? I doubt they are in the civilian Class III circulation? With this much real military ordinance on the street, it makes me wonder why anyone in DC or Sacramento cares about the couple semi auto ARs I own.

Drang
07-12-2015, 05:50 PM
With this much real military ordinance on the street, it makes me wonder why anyone in DC or Sacramento cares about the couple semi auto ARs I own.
They don't expect you to vote for them.

Coyotesfan97
07-12-2015, 06:06 PM
I found a semi auto S&W at the bottom of a bathtub full of dirty water in a crack house. Fortunately it was stainless steel. I've had to search the poop paper cans too.

Gadfly
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
OK, why don't they flush the paper? I'm guessing they are used to septic systems?.

You are correct. In Mexico, the septic won't handle paper. The closer you get to the border, the more you see this everywhere. Like in resturants and such. I was in one load hide where they had no trash can, so they dropped the poop paper in the tub. Old stank poop paper picked 4 ft high in the tub, and no AC in the house. We have also seen folks locked in a shed with a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket as the only toilet for 20 people. NASTY....

Why do I do this job? Someone remind me....

Lester Polfus
07-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Can't you weld a barrel extension/shroud on? Like a fake can? Bring it back up to 16"....

I think the thing to remember is that this thing was sitting in our property room and couldn't legally be owned or transferred to ANYBODY. More than many PD's we tried pretty hard to work with people who appeared to be honest, square john citizens, but that didn't extend to having a full service gun smith shop in the property room, nor would we have likely been willing to have one our guys transport it to a local gunsmith and sit there while the work was done, even if one of them had been willing to do it.

Most PD's would say you aren't getting your gun back, you can get a copy of the police report for your homeowner's insurance though. I do remember a ratty ass 870 Wingmaster that came in with barrel cut off flush with the mag tube. Again we actually had a local owner that had a serial number and such when it was stolen. When the owner called, one of the property room techs said "Forget it, it's a sawed off shotgun." He came to the PD, politely pled his case, and one of the Sgt.'s went to the property room, unscrewed the barrel, and gave the guy the rest. He wrote a very nice letter to the chief, apparently it had belonged to a deceased family member and it was important to him.

Apparently the owner had even contacted ATF, who told him he couldn't do the SBR paperwork retroactively. Since we had MP-5's at the time, and thus had armorers, and HK parts were worth money, I think they were floating the idea of stripping the gun for him and giving him what they could, which is alot more than he would have gotten from many Pd's.

Lester Polfus
07-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Why do I do this job? Someone remind me....

It's reminding me why I don't....

LHS
07-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Please tell me those are going to a museum...

Paul
07-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately being nice and permanently modifying someone's property is grounds for getting sued or complained on for intentionally damaging property. It's one thing to not give something back, these days it's just not smart to damage property and give it back. No good deed goes unpunished. Not to mention a lawsuit or complaint like that could be a major credibility problem in court.

Taking the barrel(s) off of a shotgun that is part of its normal disassembly isn't a big deal, especially if it's listed on the property tag as a separate items. Chucking an MP5 in a jig and knocking out the barrel pin is not going to happen. Plugging barrels, crushing them in a vise, or welding extensions on them is out of the question.

HCM
07-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Y
Unfortunately being nice and permanently modifying someone's property is grounds for getting sued or complained on for intentionally damaging property. It's one thing to not give something back, these days it's just not smart to damage property and give it back. No good deed goes unpunished. Not to mention a lawsuit or complaint like that could be a major credibility problem in court.

Taking the barrel(s) off of a shotgun that is part of its normal disassembly isn't a big deal, especially if it's listed on the property tag as a separate items. Chucking an MP5 in a jig and knocking out the barrel pin is not going to happen. Plugging barrels, crushing them in a vise, or welding extensions on them is out of the question.

Could it go to HK USA or an FFL/SOT for repair?

Paul
07-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Y

Could it go to HK USA or an FFL/SOT for repair?

I can't speak for any other department's policies, but without a court order I doubt that a firearm is getting released to a third party. To be honest I'm not up to date on NFA stuff, but I don't think that an unregistered NFA item can be legally transferred from a police property room to anyone except another LE agency that needs it as evidence (and that may require a warrant or subpoena).

Lester Polfus
07-13-2015, 01:10 PM
I can't speak for any other department's policies, but without a court order I doubt that a firearm is getting released to a third party. To be honest I'm not up to date on NFA stuff, but I don't think that an unregistered NFA item can be legally transferred from a police property room to anyone except another LE agency that needs it as evidence (and that may require a warrant or subpoena).

Keep in mind that this was 13 years ago, wasn't my case, and I was on light duty with a concussion, and focusing on bringing my brief (but for a few minutes very exciting) law enforcement career to an emergency landing, but that is pretty much what I remember too. This thing was legal poison, as there was no lawful way to give it to ANYBODY, like I said.

I seem to remember that replacing an MP-5 barrel was one of the things we couldn't do, because they had to go back to HK? They were pressed in or something?

5pins
07-16-2015, 03:00 PM
I was able to confirm that it is a Johnson. I don't suppose anyone knows where one could pick up a magazine for it?

DamonL
07-17-2015, 07:06 AM
I would try numrich gun parts.

TGS
07-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I would try numrich gun parts.

Surprisingly, they have $40 surplus M1941 mags which I'm guessing are the same for the M1944.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/198970.htm

Gadfly
07-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Dope house warrant. Lots of dope, lots of guns. Of the two MP5 clones, one is a .22 and the other is an actual 9mm...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/7fd362f17d80f19ec63d51eb0c47f7f8.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/4173ec5542c547a876c05089a3fc3a3b.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/bae414b63887d692f0490c9351b7d1e1.jpg

Gadfly
07-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Seized from an alien stash house. I can't recall if we found out if the gun was full auto. The bolt was solid...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/68ba56aadfdd693030ebd11812c71699.jpg

45dotACP
07-19-2015, 02:50 PM
So much for criminals just carrying Lorcins and Hi points...

BaiHu
07-19-2015, 02:52 PM
So much for criminals just carrying Lorcins and Hi points...
Obama gun boom gave them more options to steal from.

HCM
07-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Dope house warrant. Lots of dope, lots of guns. Of the two MP5 clones, one is a .22 and the other is an actual 9mm...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/7fd362f17d80f19ec63d51eb0c47f7f8.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/4173ec5542c547a876c05089a3fc3a3b.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/bae414b63887d692f0490c9351b7d1e1.jpg

More interested in the Galil. Also is that an HK handgun ! Looks like a p30 or HK 45?

BehindBlueI's
08-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Glock 19
Glock 26
Springfield XD-S

LHS
08-01-2015, 05:40 PM
More interested in the Galil. Also is that an HK handgun ! Looks like a p30 or HK 45?

The pistol mag looks like a Walther of some type?

Whiskey_Bravo
08-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Grease gun.

That's all I'm going to say until I can get pictures....

voodoo_man
08-02-2015, 08:11 AM
last night got a bursa from one dude who ran and then two hours later caught a burglar who had an old 870 and a 45acp rifle (dunno what kind) but had a lot of tapco crap on it.

Lyonsgrid
08-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Stoger Coach gun 20 ga. and a Colt Agent from a felon on parole.

xray 99
08-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Stoger Coach gun 20 ga. and a Colt Agent from a felon on parole.

Agent revolver or Agent auto?

PD Sgt.
08-09-2015, 09:10 AM
A couple of my guys snatch some dude up on a pedestrian violation and get a pistol off him. Prior felon, had a wee bit of crack as well, no real surprises. One of the officers calls up my cell, "Hey Sarge, Wilson Combats are pretty nice pistols, right?"

Guy had an older Protector model, would not say how he got it. Ran that thing five ways from Sunday but it did not come back as stolen, and it looked like it had been a street gun for a while.

HCM
08-09-2015, 09:27 AM
A couple of my guys snatch some dude up on a pedestrian violation and get a pistol off him. Prior felon, had a wee bit of crack as well, no real surprises. One of the officers calls up my cell, "Hey Sarge, Wilson Combats are pretty nice pistols, right?"

Guy had an older Protector model, would not say how he got it. Ran that thing five ways from Sunday but it did not come back as stolen, and it looked like it had been a street gun for a while.

I'm sure it was stolen. However if the owner didn't have the serial number when he reported it stolen or if the NCIC record was not maintained and it won't be in the system.

Just a PSA, I keep a record of your firearm serial numbers in a safe place separate from your guns. If you do have a gun stolen the quicker it is reported and the serial number put into NCIC the better your chances of possibly getting it back. There are also other commercial databases which law-enforcement can enter the ceremony bring to such as the leads online system for pawnshops.

The other thing is stolen firearms records in NCIC must be validated once per year and in order to keep the record in the system. If you have a firearm stolen you need to make sure the department you reported it to has your current contact info. They won't need to call you once per year to verify the gun is still stolen / has not been recovered in order to keep the record active in the system.

Malamute
08-09-2015, 12:25 PM

I wonder if an inquiry to Wilson would yield any info as to who it went to?

I'm sure it was stolen. However if the owner didn't have the serial number when he reported it stolen or if the NCIC record was not maintained and it won't be in the system.

Just a PSA, I keep a record of your firearm serial numbers in a safe place separate from your guns. If you do have a gun stolen the quicker it is reported and the serial number put into NCIC the better your chances of possibly getting it back. There are also other commercial databases which law-enforcement can enter the ceremony bring to such as the leads online system for pawnshops.

The other thing is stolen firearms records in NCIC must be validated once per year and in order to keep the record in the system. If you have a firearm stolen you need to make sure the department you reported it to has your current contact info. They won't need to call you once per year to verify the gun is still stolen / has not been recovered in order to keep the record active in the system.

A friend had an old model Ruger Blackhawk stolen, she really loved the gun and checked on it every now and then to see if it had been found. Once when she called in to check, they said it wasnt in the system. It hadnt been validated or whatever needed to be done to keep it in the NCIC list at some point.

PD Sgt.
08-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Oh I was sure it was stolen, I just could not prove it through NCIC. I did not think to call Wilson directly though.

I did not know about the yearly validation thing, my agency must do it as I have recovered guns stolen years ago, but maybe some of the other agencies around here do not.

BehindBlueI's
08-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Just a PSA, I keep a record of your firearm serial numbers in a safe place separate from your guns.

I keep a spreadsheet and email it to myself to an online email account (like hotmail or gmail or whatever). You can then access it from anywhere from any computer or smart phone. It's impossible to lose it in a fire, etc.

I used to keep 3x5 cards in a security deposit box at my local bank, but figured out I could do the same thing cheaper and easier electronically.

Malamute
08-09-2015, 03:36 PM
I keep a spreadsheet and email it to myself to an online email account (like hotmail or gmail or whatever). You can then access it from anywhere from any computer or smart phone. It's impossible to lose it in a fire, etc.

I used to keep 3x5 cards in a security deposit box at my local bank, but figured out I could do the same thing cheaper and easier electronically.

Good idea. Having instant access to it anywhere would sure help if something happened, especially if away from home.

23JAZ
08-09-2015, 08:13 PM

GREAT idea. I am now doing this as well. Thank you!

Nephrology
08-09-2015, 08:28 PM

Or, even better, create a spreadsheet on Google Drive. Cloud accessible, updates in real time, basically infinite version history, can be easily accessed on mobile or laptops, no need to constantly email yourself a new version...

Kyle Reese
08-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Or, even better, create a spreadsheet on Google Drive. Cloud accessible, updates in real time, basically infinite version history, can be easily accessed on mobile or laptops, no need to constantly email yourself a new version...

That's how I do it.

GardoneVT
08-09-2015, 09:46 PM
That's how I do it.

Agreed.

I received a call from a local investigator running a trace on a Glock I sold some years back. Naturally I was out of state on a road trip at the time, but I was able to furnish the necessary serial number via my online spreadsheet within a day.

WobblyPossum
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM

This is so much better than how I was doing it. I just made myself a Google Drive spreadsheet. Thanks!

tanner
08-10-2015, 12:35 AM
Or take digital photos of the gun along with a closeup of the serial number and email them to yourself. For insurance purposes, it will show the accessories as well. I don't know about you guys, but the stuff hanging off my rifle costs as much as my rifle...

5pins
08-11-2015, 03:53 PM
I think most here will recognize this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zNZ4otafGpM/VcpfoKyzBoI/AAAAAAAAA-s/yQSXGgOF068/s640-Ic42/IMG_0752%2525281%252529.JPG

arcticlightfighter
08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately, my agency destroys all evidence guns regardless of value or historical significance. You name it, its gone to the incinerator. Tragic

Gadfly
08-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Some guns found at a dope house a few years back... Classy.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/128422755f7aeeddb379aacbbd4a413f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/770d87625fc7b3c33fb802577075e42d.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/27bbccdf9f209271ca6e8d91cbb85409.jpg

JDM
08-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Gold 40rd AK magazine is awesome!

5pins
11-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Bling! They came in yesterday.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jEuIPicc7_V_vtgG9F8BgwbdYvzCfSboifNCXUGIip2r303qu5 2vFumhN7g9ozip0fQwQKN6vh7e7MZfu1AgsS-qWjL6JF_RZGOohbsT3Bms37qRB-U-BU8JHZ3lPexmJocGGwXi-5pfflTkWkYfTSxV2-JV_J7BcBef7Qu1HmTthEtFnITWmay6TubmpNcF8Hhd5DN3yYWX rrzN1bn90BYJuyFw0qoRAZzEX-kqgQ9weFceJj_giNZzkGr26RLCJfLkEuortE_h7Ak5N0Q4wVml EGJ1k57dlA4vr5x2SR85joVR07b6hczoaRFVivQTZ8sav0YNIl X1GEe4ctLU-x-4yba75qgtvSc1vUOOsoZa8_8DK_dN4WYXm6JiQcVT1GYrPx40M iUjz9jIvgK3eyX_jwZszfl1vEpI_qeSaHZHRrUfR-tkmuX9hv9Xx36Fa9yLAXgKi5dEcsoimBDf4Fx2RakDdkAWSR2j z9NRob9et1v-YaEHg3TcLSJ1YUgmjN639kByb9rDEsGRBG-EKZ8TCvPNHoRavmDnUeAa77M=w764-h614-no

nycnoob
11-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Bling! They came in yesterday.

If I had something like that, I would need to get a matching load bearing vest, a standard one would just clash!

nycnoob
11-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Both 5pin and Gadfly's photos have a pistol with grips that say "Zarate", what does it mean? The last name of the owner? The bling master who did this to the guns?

Gadfly
11-24-2015, 05:27 PM
I figured it was the owners last name. But damn that beretta and AK look exactly like the ones we found. The 1911s are different though.

5pins
11-24-2015, 05:44 PM
I figured it was the owners last name. But damn that beretta and AK look exactly like the ones we found. The 1911s are different though.

I think they are the same. I work where all DHS seized weapons are processed for destruction.

5pins
11-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Image missing. Google (Plus or Photos) doesn't really work well with sharing photos on forums (or at least our forum). It's one, of the many, reasons I configured our vBulletin instance to allow ALL registered users to upload attachments.

Any chance I could talk you into re-posting that image as an attachment?

BaiHu
11-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Swanky schtuff there pal. It'd be a shame if shumthing happened tooit [emoji16]

john c
11-25-2015, 01:35 AM
It looked to me like both of those B92s had M9 markings. Are those US civilian versions, or stolen USGI guns?

Hambo
11-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I think they are the same. I work where all DHS seized weapons are processed for destruction.

Dammit man, talk your bosses into putting some of this bling on GunBroker. I can't be the only gringo who wants a gold 1911. :cool:

Drang
11-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Coming soon to the CMP!

GardoneVT
11-25-2015, 12:38 PM
It looked to me like both of those B92s had M9 markings. Are those US civilian versions, or stolen USGI guns?

They look like commercials. Besides,no cartel sicario would be stupid enough to use worn out DoD rattletrap guns.

5pins
11-25-2015, 03:59 PM
The M9’s commercial. The plating is so thick you I’m not sure the guns would even function properly. The double action on the Beretta must be close to 30lbs.

5pins
12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
A Sig X5 came in the other day.

HCM
10-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Bumping this as a reminder to keep a record of your gun's serial numbers, ideally including photos of the serial number.

We recently arrested an illegal alien from Jamaica who was wanted for aggravated robbery and other crimes including a drive by shooting. One of the two handguns he had on him when arrested was stolen but did not come back as such in the system.

During follow ups, we learned he had stolen a handgun of the exact same make/model/caliber as one of the recovered guns from a victim who he had been staying with. The victim had reported the gun stolen but when they showed the reporting officer the factory box he entered the manufacturer's bar code sku number from the label rather the actual serial number.

Digital photos in the cloud would be a good way to avoid such issues. Typo's are common enough that when we put personally owned handguns into service for duty use we must submit a photo of the serial number with the paperwork to ensure the serial number is put in our system correctly.

ragnar_d
10-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Bumping this as a reminder to keep a record of your gun's serial numbers, ideally including photos of the serial number.

We recently arrested an illegal alien from Jamaica who was wanted for aggravated robbery and other crimes including a drive by shooting. One of the two handguns he had on him when arrested was stolen but did not come back as such in the system.

During follow ups, we learned he had stolen a handgun of the exact same make/model/caliber as one of the recovered guns from a victim who he had been staying with. The victim had reported the gun stolen but when they showed the reporting officer the factory box he entered the manufacturer's bar code sku number from the label rather the actual serial number.

Digital photos in the cloud would be a good way to avoid such issues. Typo's are common enough that when we put personally owned handguns into service for duty use we must submit a photo of the serial number with the paperwork to ensure the serial number is put in our system correctly.

Not LE, but I've got photos in the cloud and a database with S/Ns, photos, acessories, and descriptions for all guns. Typos definitely happen. When I was in FL, there was an acquaintance on a local board that said he almost got in trouble because when a LEO ran the S/N during the stop he ran the model number (SW9VE) instead of the actual serial number and said popped up as stolen in the Florida system.

ReverendMeat
10-27-2017, 10:12 PM
Not LE, but I've got photos in the cloud and a database with S/Ns, photos, acessories, and descriptions for all guns. Typos definitely happen. When I was in FL, there was an acquaintance on a local board that said he almost got in trouble because when a LEO ran the S/N during the stop he ran the model number (SW9VE) instead of the actual serial number and said popped up as stolen in the Florida system.

ATF actually puts out some pretty good information about firearms identification, for all the good it does. Doesn't help when guns have SNs on the barrel or slide that don't match the frame, or the importer plastering their name over the gun in eight different places while making the actual manufacturer's name so small you need a magnifying glass to see it COUGH SPRINGFIELD COUGH, making the manufacturing location larger than the model name, etc etc.

cmbarny2
11-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Guy walked in with a Dreyse M1907, very good condition. Had the original holster and mag with it although both of those had been terrorized. He refused to sell it and wanted it destroyed. Talk about saddening, the gun hasn't been produced since 1915 according to Wiki.

5pins
11-02-2017, 03:01 PM
I had almost forgotten about this thread.

Nephrology
11-02-2017, 04:03 PM
I had almost forgotten about this thread.

It deserves so much better.

HCM
11-02-2017, 06:33 PM

Recovered stolen from a chop shop.

Caballoflaco
11-02-2017, 08:15 PM
A good friend of mine walked into a PD to pick up an accident report and while he was there a little ol lady walks in with her deceased husband's bring back Walther P38 in mint condition that she wanted destroyed.

He told me that the officers tried to convince her to at least sell it, they even said she could sell it to my friend; who of course said he'd buy it from her. But she refused saying she didn't want the money she just wanted them to destroy the gun. My buddy told me that there was an air of disappointment in the room as the cops dutifully wrote the receipt that would turn a piece of history into scrap metal.

Rex G
11-05-2017, 05:12 PM
We were doing BMV surveillance, in plain clothes, in the Eighties. The location was near a trendy night club. There had been some armed robberies in the area, too, but too sporadic to notice a trend, whereas the BMVs were almost every night. Two of our fixed-post observers saw a late-thirties B/M looking into cars, and when he approached one of our guys, who seated in an un-marked vehicle, that officer pretended to be asleep. The suspect looked long and hard at the “sleeping” officer, then moved to look into other cars. At some point, one observer noticed the suspect had a large revolver-shaped bulge under his shirt. Finally, the suspect reached into a car through an open sun roof, opened the door, and entered the car.

This BMV was occurring south of a building, and I was the nearest officer on foot, so I moved southward, toward the southeast corner of the building, in order to have hard vertical cover, and a visual. The observer, however, failed to broadcast that the suspect had started moving northeast-ward, toward the same corner I was approaching, and the suspect rounded the corner of the building right before I got there. I pivoted left, to bring my revolver to bear on target, as the suspect drew his revolver, and turned, while moving past me, but he fumbled his draw, and the largest Ruger Redhawk In The Universe clattered to the pavement. He might have considered trying to scoop-up the Rehwak, but by that time my partner was accelerating directly toward him, in a black Monte Carlo SS. My partner had seen the suspect trying to draw the weapon, and was fully intending to nail him with the car if the suspect did not step clear of the dropped weapon.

The suspect ran due east, into an over-grown vacant lot. I knew he did not go far into the vacant lot, because the long dead grass made a distinctive noise as one walked upon it. I found him almost immediately, and he did not resist. He did not mind talking, either. He admitted that he had been thinking about pulling the gun, and robbing the “sleeping” officer. We then knew that we not only had a car burglar, but the armed robber, in one capture.

Interestingly, this suspect had been arrested as a juvenile, for murdering the neighborhood ice cream man, and had been released in his late thirties, a few months before we caught him. In hindsight, we should have arrested him for UCW, rather than waiting for him to burglarize a vehicle, but BMV was a felony at that time, and we wanted that felony. Of course, a convicted felon possessing a firearm would have been a felony arrest, but until we detained him, we did not know his criminal history. (Mere UCW, absent other factors, was a misdemeanor.)

The suspect’s revolver? A 5.5” stainless steel Ruger Redhawk, in the rare chambering of .357 Magnum.

willie
11-05-2017, 07:39 PM
I agree that leaving guns left in vehicles is a poor idea.

5pins
05-22-2018, 04:30 PM
I just had to share this one.

BobM
05-22-2018, 04:50 PM
A few weeks ago a local resident reported finding a Ruger 22 pistol wrapped in a bandana in his garden. It was a 1976 production Standard Auto that unfortunately wasn't entered into NCIC.

Last weekend we took a MAC10 clone and a pistol from a felon.

olstyn
05-22-2018, 05:08 PM
I just had to share this one.

What exactly am I looking at there? Kinda looks like some enterprising soul did a really poor job of cutting their own threading into a G17 barrel and then stuck said barrel in a G19. Am I even close?

5pins
05-22-2018, 06:32 PM
What exactly am I looking at there? Kinda looks like some enterprising soul did a really poor job of cutting their own threading into a G17 barrel and then stuck said barrel in a G19. Am I even close?

More like welded threads on the end of a barrel.

Cypher
05-22-2018, 07:10 PM

Recovered stolen from a chop shop.

Any chance of the owner getting it back?

Malamute
05-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Is the gunbusters company getting much traction in LE agencies? It looks like they provide a machine to destroy a receiver, and tools and information on how to strip the guns to the frame and the parts (everything but the receiver) are sold to/through the company. They have a camera that documents the receiver being destroyed I think.

Not as good as saving an entire gun, but its letting quite a lot of parts make it to the market to keep older guns running.

olstyn
05-22-2018, 10:14 PM
More like welded threads on the end of a barrel.

I guess that makes at least as much sense. Either way, that's some nasty bubba work.

HCM
05-22-2018, 11:57 PM
Any chance of the owner getting it back?

It was in the system as stolen so no reason the owner who reported it shouldn't get it back.

Speaking of serial numbers in the system, I recently had a case involving a Jimenez Arms pistol which we recovered off an illegal alien felon. It was not in the system as stolen because when it was stolen the owners showed responding officers the box for the gun. The Officers then entered the SKU number from the bar code on the end of the box instead of the serial number which was listed right next to the SKU. Suspect had stolen the gun while staying with the owners and subsequently used the gun to shoot up their house.

I assisted with another case where a felon was previously arrested with a S&W Body Guard .380 in his car which he denied owning. He bonded out and absconded. While executing a search warrant on his residence after we arrested him, we found the box for Bodyguard in the suspect's room. Had to explain that the serial number of the previously seized gun was on the box three times to get the case agent to seize it. Also found a game warden citation for road hunting from an adjoining county. Apparently said felon was out jack lighting deer with his step brother's AR-15, got caught and gave a story about being on leave from the USMC in CA. They seized the AR, and cited him but never ran him or discovered he was a felon dishonorably discharged several years prior. A few weeks later they gave the suspect back the AR after he paid the fine, again without running him.

Beat Trash
05-23-2018, 09:46 AM
No pictures unfortunately. I often get called when officers recover a firearm that they don't know how to safely clear. About two years ago, one of our fugitive task forces recovered a few firearms off of a search warrant. One of which they didn't know how to clear. the gun that stumped them was a 1973 Springfield Trapdoor carbine. It was not a reproduction...

It was not in NCIC as stolen, so it was eventually destroyed.

KPD
05-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Recently:
HK MR556 that was NIB with all of the tools. Also had the receipt where the BG had purchased the rifle from a gun shop less than 8 hours before meeting us.
Factory nickel 3” S&W model 10
Lots of Glocks
Tikka T3 .308
Ruger M77 7mm 08
Norinco MAK90
Saiga 12
Saiga .308
M&P15T
Ruger GP100
Ruger SP101
Ruger LCRs in .38 and .357
S&W model 53
Kimber TLE

I know this is supposed to be about guns, but I see tons of really nice knives. I have recovered two Yarborough knives. One had the serial number completely ground off. The other did not and I was able to get it returned to the rightful owner thanks to help from the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Ft Bragg.

deputyG23
05-25-2018, 06:49 AM
Recently:
HK MR556 that was NIB with all of the tools. Also had the receipt where the BG had purchased the rifle from a gun shop less than 8 hours before meeting us.
Factory nickel 3” S&W model 10
Lots of Glocks
Tikka T3 .308
Ruger M77 7mm 08
Norinco MAK90
Saiga 12
Saiga .308
M&P15T
Ruger GP100
Ruger SP101
Ruger LCRs in .38 and .357
S&W model 53
Kimber TLE

I know this is supposed to be about guns, but I see tons of really nice knives. I have recovered two Yarborough knives. One had the serial number completely ground off. The other did not and I was able to get it returned to the rightful owner thanks to help from the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Ft Bragg.
I would love a nickel 3” M10...

JRB
05-25-2018, 09:31 AM
A good friend that is Abq PD detained a meth head last year for residential B&E.

Meth head was packing a CZ52 pistol in 7.62x25. My friend sent me a picture because he had no idea what it was and wanted a PID. It was in surprisingly good shape and it was full of PPU JHP's.

The numbers weren't in NCIC of course, so it was destroyed. Between the ammo and condition we figured it must have been some dudes 'car gun' that was stolen and never reported.

fwrun
09-02-2018, 10:11 PM
HK USP with a Surefire x400. Probably the most interesting gun recovered from a BG. Also got a 10" AR pistol on a Spikes "snowflake" lower. Guy had it tucked by his center console in the car. Had a Vortex RDS and a Streamlight on the rail. The HK was stolen, I got to return it to the owner. The Spikes was not, and still collects dust in the evidence room safe.

HCM
09-02-2018, 11:26 PM
Recently recovered a Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06 with an old 4x and a Steven’s 22 bolt gun in a joint case with local PD. The Stevens did not appear to have a serial number. While at property saw a nice Gen 4 G21 with HD sights and an X300U. Worker at a local tweekers motel found it and called his neighbor who is PD. Gun was in the system as stolen. Someone will be happy to get that one back.

fwrun
09-03-2018, 12:33 AM
Someone will be happy to get that one back.

In my case, the owner was pretty embarrassed when he picked up the HK. Something about leaving almost $1400 in pistol unlocked/unsecured in his car...

5pins
07-02-2020, 09:34 PM
This came in the other day. Yes, it's a Sig AMT.

https://i.imgur.com/0W5mSj1.jpg

Caballoflaco
07-02-2020, 10:33 PM
This came in the other day. Yes, it's a Sig AMT.

https://i.imgur.com/0W5mSj1.jpg

Damn that’s a shame.

HCM
07-03-2020, 02:22 AM

Yugo and the ubiquitous S&W SD40.

snow white
07-03-2020, 07:46 AM
So what I'm getting from this thread is, in order to get some sweet full auto machine guns all I need to do is cook meth and smuggle aliens? I've been doing it wrong my whole life I guess.

5pins
07-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Damn that’s a shame.

It is a shame. It's in excellent condition. What's interesting is that it's a single shot.

Beat Trash
07-03-2020, 09:17 AM
So what I'm getting from this thread is, in order to get some sweet full auto machine guns all I need to do is cook meth and smuggle aliens? I've been doing it wrong my whole life I guess.

Pretty much...

TGS
07-03-2020, 12:16 PM
It is a shame. It's in excellent condition. What's interesting is that it's a single shot.

Over the last few years, any development of an SOP to get certain guns donated to museums?

What ever happened to the M1944 Johnson LMG, by the way?

5pins
07-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Over the last few years, any development of an SOP to get certain guns donated to museums?

What ever happened to the M1944 Johnson LMG, by the way?

We still have the Johnson. No progress in the donations.

RJflyer
07-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Pulled a Glock 43 off a shooting suspect the other day. The gun itself wasn’t very interesting but this was the first time I’ve seen a perp using one of those absurd Urban Carry holsters.

revchuck38
07-03-2020, 03:51 PM
We still have the Johnson. No progress in the donations.

According to 5pins, people are always asking him about his Johnson...

TheNewbie
07-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Pulled a Glock 43 off a shooting suspect the other day. The gun itself wasn’t very interesting but this was the first time I’ve seen a perp using one of those absurd Urban Carry holsters.

I guess his footsteps weren't as quite as those of a Navy SEAL?

5pins
07-03-2020, 06:05 PM
According to @5pins (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=2029), people are always asking him about his Johnson...

If only I could get it to work.

revchuck38
07-03-2020, 06:20 PM

ROFLMAO!

RJ
07-03-2020, 07:27 PM

Well played Sir. :cool:

Gadfly
08-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Friday night duty call. Encountered Aliens, Guns, a “white powder substance” on guns.... And in the end, no charges filed.

Complaining party recanted story, claimed she “never said any of those things” To 911 (guess she does not know it’s recorded).
Still, no complaining party, no smuggling load, guns not stolen, and US attorney won’t take dope under 2 kilos... So everybody goes home.

Just another night in suck city.

Of course it is not a Houston call out without a nickel Taurus and plastic pearl grips.

We did not have a NIK kit... but the cop in me assumes that is not powdered sugar.

Also found a 10/22, Marlin, and an XDs that looked like a dog chewed on it.

And at least 3, obvious (some possible) bullet holes found inside.... “but those? Those.... yeah... I don’t know nothing about those. Been there for years... since before I moved in. I just never got around to fixing them. For years....”

WobblyPossum
08-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Still, no complaining party, no smuggling load, guns not stolen, and US attorney won’t take dope under 2 kilos... So everybody goes home.

Ever since Covid kicked off, almost every arrest we’ve had has resulted in “release them for now and we’ll indict later” when calling the AUSA. Everything from multiple pounds of meth to felons in possession of firearms. No one seems to even want to hear about dope below A level at all in this district.

Lon
08-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Never mind.

Gadfly
08-08-2020, 07:51 AM
Ever since Covid kicked off, almost every arrest we’ve had has resulted in “release them for now and we’ll indict later” when calling the AUSA. Everything from multiple pounds of meth to felons in possession of firearms. No one seems to even want to hear about dope below A level at all in this district.

Same aqui.

Multiple “documentally challenged” individuals, but GEO and ERO won’t hold unless they are agg felons. None broke to being smuggled. No bars on windows or pad locks on internal doors. Gave consent to search and no pollo lists or western union receipts found. All aliens had IDs and wallets with money inside... so no 1324.

We can’t hold the aliens due to Covid, no gun charges as a USC claimed them, locals did not have a test kit for the residue, and even the lady who called 911 claiming they were holding her nephew and demanding $7k in fees changed her tune and denies ever saying money was owed and threats made. It was a strange situation. Obviously something hinky, but nothing I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

TGS
08-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Ever since Covid kicked off, almost every arrest we’ve had has resulted in “release them for now and we’ll indict later” when calling the AUSA.

Sounds legit, I imagine the courts will magically shit docket space to handle the overflow of back logged stuff on top of the normal load coming in a year or two from now.

LockedBreech
08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Sounds legit, I imagine the courts will magically shit docket space to handle the overflow of back logged stuff on top of the normal load coming in a year or two from now.

They're starting to set trials again in my jurisdiction, and everything paused the last 5 months is suddenly urgent.

It has been awful the last two weeks and it's going to get so much worse.

iWander
08-08-2020, 01:50 PM
They're starting to set trials again in my jurisdiction, and everything paused the last 5 months is suddenly urgent.

It has been awful the last two weeks and it's going to get so much worse.Same. And no one wants a trial... Plea everything... So basically, business as usual.

TC215
08-08-2020, 02:05 PM

We’ve still been wearing it out. We’ve only had one GJ since February, but we’ve done a ton of complaints. We’ve got to do a prelim since we can’t go to a GJ in the allotted timeframe, but other than that, it’s business as usual at our USAO.

CPCleveland
08-08-2020, 03:02 PM

It has been awful the last two weeks and it's going to get so much worse.
Ditto. Our court is trying to stack up jury trials according to speedy trial needs, but even then they’re not slated to start until the third week of September. Couple that with the usual December holiday slowdown and I think this year is basically a wash.

WobblyPossum
08-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Definitely. I’m sure they’ll hire many new AUSAs for the additional cases in order to keep the system moving efficiently. Or, just maybe, they’ll decide not to indict some of those cases.

We’ve still been wearing it out. We’ve only had one GJ since February, but we’ve done a ton of complaints. We’ve got to do a prelim since we can’t go to a GJ in the allotted timeframe, but other than that, it’s business as usual at our USAO.

I still don’t understand why preliminary hearings exist. If you swore out a complaint, that means a Magistrate Judge believed you had PC for this charge already. Otherwise you wouldn’t have gotten your complaint signed.

Le Français
08-08-2020, 03:38 PM
I still don’t understand why preliminary hearings exist. If you swore out a complaint, that means a Magistrate Judge believed you had PC for this charge already. Otherwise you wouldn’t have gotten your complaint signed.

I thought it was intended as a golden opportunity for the defense to pretend that it’s a trial and ask a million questions which have nothing to do with the PC for the arrest...?

Preliminary hearing story:

I was on the stand, and the defense attorney (a very nice lady and a former AUSA) was trying to paint her cartel-employed client as a bumbling idiot who hadn’t known what he was getting himself into.

Defense: “Special Agent Le Francais, did my client tell you that he had asked for payment up front for this job?”

Me: “Yes.”

Defense: “Isn’t it extremely unusual for these organizations to pay up front, and doesn’t that show that my client doesn’t understand how any of this works”?

Me: “Perhaps your client’s request to be paid up front was motivated by optimism rather than ignorance.”

Spanish interpreter: “HAHA!”

Judge: (not amused)

Hambo
08-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Of course it is not a Houston call out without a nickel Taurus and plastic pearl grips.

The low rent version of .38 Super 1911.

Sounds legit, I imagine the courts will magically shit docket space

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. :D

andre3k
08-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Between trying to dodge the Rona and not ending up on Instagram or Youtube, we haven't really been proactive since early March. My squad is pretty much running warrants and mainly looking for female fugitives since they're generally easier to find and less likely to act a fool when the cuffs go on.

Le Français
08-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Preliminary hearing story:

I was on the stand, and the defense attorney (a very nice lady and a former AUSA) was trying to paint her cartel-employed client as a bumbling idiot who hadn’t known what he was getting himself into.

Defense: “Special Agent Le Francais, did my client tell you that he had asked for payment up front for this job?”

Me: “Yes.”

Defense: “Isn’t it extremely unusual for these organizations to pay up front, and doesn’t that show that my client doesn’t understand how any of this works”?

Me: “Perhaps your client’s request to be paid up front was motivated by optimism rather than ignorance.”

Spanish interpreter: “HAHA!”

Judge: (not amused)

I’ll just add that though perhaps not amused, the judge found that there was PC and—if memory serves—that the defendant was a flight risk and would be held pre-trial.

KPD
08-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Some of the nicer guns that have been seized in my office:

HKMR556A1 that was brand new. Dude had the receipt where he purchased 4 hours before being arrested.
FN M16A2 that had been diverted off a shipment of DOD weapons that were supposed to be shipped to one of our allies.
S&W 32-20 M&P Hand Ejector with a box of ammunition off a mid-level crack dealer. That gun was pristine and the FFL dealer who bought it put it in his personal collection.
S&W 686 CS1 that a guy tried shooting his neighbor’s propane tank with. He thought if he could get her near the propane tank he could shoot the tank and it would blow up and kill her and destroy the evidence in the explosion.
Several different Colt 1911s. Some Gold Cups and a few Commanders.
Ruger Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and some GP100s.
A few Polytech AK47s.
A Gemtech .308 can. I don’t recall the model.
A few different M1 Garands. The last one was a Blue Sky import, but the others were mostly Springfields.
A Sabre Defence XR15 with factory Tiger Stripe stock.
A Beretta 92 that was a former Indianapolis PD gun converted to DAO.
A FN 5.7 Pistol NIB with 3 extra magazines and ammunition.

These are the ones that came to mind right away.

Stephanie B
08-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Some of the nicer guns that have been seized in my office:

HKMR556A1 that was brand new. Dude had the receipt where he purchased 4 hours before being arrested.
FN M16A2 that had been diverted off a shipment of DOD weapons that were supposed to be shipped to one of our allies.
S&W 32-20 M&P Hand Ejector with a box of ammunition off a mid-level crack dealer. That gun was pristine and the FFL dealer who bought it put it in his personal collection.
S&W 686 CS1 that a guy tried shooting his neighbor’s propane tank with. He thought if he could get her near the propane tank he could shoot the tank and it would blow up and kill her and destroy the evidence in the explosion.
Several different Colt 1911s. Some Gold Cups and a few Commanders.
Ruger Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and some GP100s.
A few Polytech AK47s.
A Gemtech .308 can. I don’t recall the model.
A few different M1 Garands. The last one was a Blue Sky import, but the others were mostly Springfields.
A Sabre Defence XR15 with factory Tiger Stripe stock.
A Beretta 92 that was a former Indianapolis PD gun converted to DAO.
A FN 5.7 Pistol NIB with 3 extra magazines and ammunition.

These are the ones that came to mind right away.

Do they sell them off?

S Jenks
08-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Doing some evidence room cleanup, this was entered into property back in ‘97. Any idea what it is? It’s a .22, the only marking are “8” stamped in front of the magwell and “F.O. Stokkes” crudely engraved into the frame when disassembled (owner’s marking?). The barrel is chewed up where the roll-mark likely was. The nub on the beavertail area is a safety.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200812/e3a6a5a1e19e0c384fba14f8bb6025e7.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200812/2c9d7a800679f8258ca560fad637de19.jpg

UpDok
08-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Doing some evidence room cleanup, this was entered into property back in ‘97. Any idea what it is? It’s a .22, the only marking are “8” stamped in front of the magwell and “F.O. Stokkes” crudely engraved into the frame when disassembled (owner’s marking?). The barrel is chewed up where the roll-mark likely was. The nub on the beavertail area is a safety.

A quick Google search came up with this US patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1365743

1,365,748. Patented Jan.18,1921 by FRED O. STOKKE, of HAVRE, MONTANA

It appears to be a prototype of a semi auto pistol with some sort of drop safety.
This probably is a one of a kind experiment that slipped into the footnotes of history.

Caballoflaco
08-12-2020, 08:16 PM

While maybe not valuable, that’s very interesting and maybe even a prototype.

I found a patent for a Stokke pistol here, note in the drawing a similar “guppy belly” that extends behind the pistol grip.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1365743

Eta: image 58789

Off to see what else I can find.

UpDok obviously beat me to the punch on this one

S Jenks
08-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Ha! That’s what I get for using Duck Duck Go!

That’s very interesting. Thank you.

OfficeCat
08-12-2020, 08:40 PM
I recently got to handle (but not shoot :( ) a fully functioning Canadian Sten MkII in nice condition that had been in the collection of one of our local drug dealers. Probably the most interesting thing that's passed through our office in a while.

Caballoflaco
08-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Ha! That’s what I get for using Duck Duck Go!

That’s very interesting. Thank you.

Would it be possible for y’all by law to transfer that to a museum somewhere? I hate to see an interesting prototype from a small time inventor being stuck away in an evidence locker like. That’s some cool American history and I bet somewhere like the Cody Firearms museum would love to have it.

HCM
08-12-2020, 09:51 PM
Would it be possible for y’all by law to transfer that to a museum somewhere? I hate to see an interesting prototype from a small time inventor being stuck away in an evidence locker like. That’s some cool American history and I bet somewhere like the Cody Firearms museum would love to have it.

NRA museum.

The Smithsonian has a firearms collection as well though they keep it on the down low.

S Jenks
08-13-2020, 01:36 AM

I don’t see why not. I’ll reach out to them or NRA and work my magic with the bosses.

Worst case scenario: we typically sell abandoned firearms to a local distributor that get flipped to the used market. The money we get is used to purchase duty weapons for the department- Glock 17s and 6933s during our last trade. I don’t think we’ve ever destroyed firearms.

I’ll update here when I have news.

KPD
08-16-2020, 09:51 PM
Do they sell them off?

Yes, but only to FFL holders. We sell them off in large lots in an auction format. Whatever business wins the auction we leave the money on account with them and use it to get duty equipment, guns and ammunition from that business.

Hambo
08-17-2020, 05:25 AM
I don’t see why not. I’ll reach out to them or NRA and work my magic with the bosses.

Good for you!

Stephanie B
08-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Yes, but only to FFL holders. We sell them off in large lots in an auction format. Whatever business wins the auction we leave the money on account with them and use it to get duty equipment, guns and ammunition from that business.

I bought a fairly nice DS from a FFL who bought seized guns.

5pins
11-06-2020, 03:26 PM
Turns out my Johnson is not a Johnson after all. It's an Israeli Dror in .303 British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dror_light_machine_gun

blues
11-06-2020, 04:40 PM
Turns out my Johnson is not a Johnson after all.

That's what she said.

Moving right along...

Wondering Beard
11-06-2020, 04:44 PM
That's what she said.

Moving right along...

She wondered why it was cut?

5pins
11-24-2020, 06:04 PM
Two more recently came in.

https://i.imgur.com/NNjMEU6l.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/TUAS8K8l.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/KFwMa1Al.jpg?2

Lon
11-24-2020, 11:38 PM
We took an AR pistol w/ brace off a kid last week. Made w an 80% lower. GOOD mill work on the lower.

HCM
11-25-2020, 12:24 AM
We took an AR pistol w/ brace off a kid last week. Made w an 80% lower. GOOD mill work on the lower.

People with skills building 80% to flip to gangs and prohibited persons is a thing.

Lon
11-25-2020, 05:56 AM
People with skills building 80% to flip to gangs and prohibited persons is a thing.

Which is exactly what the case was. I recommended the detectives reach out to the ATF since this was also a case of selling across state lines. Don’t know if they did.

5pins
11-25-2020, 07:14 AM
Two more recently came in.

https://i.imgur.com/NNjMEU6l.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/TUAS8K8l.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/KFwMa1Al.jpg?2

The 1911 is a Remington UMC and is worth about $7000. Very rare.

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-galleries/world-war-i-and-firearms-innovation/case-32-wwi-america-and-the-allies/us-remington-umc-model-1911-semi-automatic-pistol.aspx

fatdog
11-25-2020, 11:19 AM
The 1911 is a Remington UMC

Friend of mine who retired from Birmingham PD once picked up a genuine Union Switch and Signal version off a burglar. Per policy it went to the crusher. Hope the Remington has a better fate.

5pins
11-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Friend of mine who retired from Birmingham PD once picked up a genuine Union Switch and Signal version off a burglar. Per policy it went to the crusher. Hope the Remington has a better fate.

Luckily I was helping the guy who was processing it and told him to save it. It's safe for now.

andre3k
12-01-2020, 04:08 AM
Crooks are running red dots now.

olstyn
12-01-2020, 08:19 AM
Luckily I was helping the guy who was processing it and told him to save it. It's safe for now.

I know it's not as historically special, but what does a used Shadow 2 go for? I don't imagine it's on the low end of the market, given the MSRP on new ones.

5pins
12-01-2020, 08:24 AM
I know it's not as historically special, but what does a used Shadow 2 go for? I don't imagine it's on the low end of the market, given the MSRP on new ones.

I would guess around $1000 to $1500?? It's going to get chipped into small peaces.

olstyn
12-01-2020, 08:30 AM
It's going to get chipped into small peaces.

Ouch.

andre3k
12-01-2020, 08:58 AM
Crooks are running red dots now.
63934Lets try this again. 63936

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

arcticlightfighter
12-02-2020, 12:34 AM
Last 4 taken off of two seperate traffic stops...

GLOCK 21 Gen 3
GLOCK 26 Gen 4

RUGER 5.7 (this was odd)
SA XD 9

HCM
12-02-2020, 01:07 AM
Lets try this again. 63936

Was it stolen that way or was the guy actually running a red dot ?

Is that a 17L ?

We just picked up a P320 with a purple glitter finish grip, a Norosso RDS ready slide and a a custom "joker" pattern holster....

andre3k
12-02-2020, 01:46 AM
Was it stolen that way or was the guy actually running a red dot ?

Is that a 17L ?

We just picked up a P320 with a purple glitter finish grip, a Norosso RDS ready slide and a a custom "joker" pattern holster....

It's not reported stolen. It's a G34 with a Burris red dot. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, suspect was out on bond on a Burglary from March.

WobblyPossum
12-02-2020, 09:20 AM
One of our Task Force Officers recently caught a guy in possession of a 7.5” Franklin Armory Reformation of all things.

DpdG
12-14-2020, 02:38 AM
Technically not seized guns, but a family cleaning out the house of a deceased relative turned in some ammo for destruction. Turned out to be a bunch of 30-06- a dozen or so sealed boxes of M2 ball, plus a 250rd linked belt of 1/5 tracer, all apparently mid-50's vintage. There was a bunch of 45acp as well, which seems easy enough to dispose of. That was until I got looking at it. Out of about 250-300 rounds total, 2/3 is head stamped of 1918 or earlier, including two rounds with 1911 head stamps. Finally was a dozen 1903 stripper clips loaded with blanks, dated 1905.

Tabasco
12-15-2020, 11:31 AM
Technically not seized guns, but a family cleaning out the house of a deceased relative turned in some ammo for destruction. Turned out to be a bunch of 30-06- a dozen or so sealed boxes of M2 ball, plus a 250rd linked belt of 1/5 tracer, all apparently mid-50's vintage. There was a bunch of 45acp as well, which seems easy enough to dispose of. That was until I got looking at it. Out of about 250-300 rounds total, 2/3 is head stamped of 1918 or earlier, including two rounds with 1911 head stamps. Finally was a dozen 1903 stripper clips loaded with blanks, dated 1905.

I have some .303 British from 1919, still works fine. Corrosive though.

Malamute
12-15-2020, 12:02 PM
Technically not seized guns, but a family cleaning out the house of a deceased relative turned in some ammo for destruction.

... Finally was a dozen 1903 stripper clips loaded with blanks, dated 1905.

OOH! OOH! 1903 stripper clips are very useful items!

The empty boxes of the M2 ball are also pretty cool.

Ichiban
04-18-2021, 09:50 AM
Looks more like it was dredged out of a river.

5pins
02-06-2022, 12:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Uqn6MU4l.jpg?1

45dotACP
02-06-2022, 05:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Uqn6MU4l.jpg?1.38 super?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5pins
02-06-2022, 07:57 PM
.38 super?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yes

Caballoflaco
02-07-2022, 08:47 AM
Yes

Hearing that makes the universe seem just a little bit less random and unpredictable.

fatdog
05-27-2022, 02:26 PM

JCN
05-27-2022, 05:51 PM

And Doritos!!!!