PDA

View Full Version : When to worry?

Mitchell, Esq.
08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
When do you start worrying about a weapon's reliability?

Do you start changing out parts on the first FTE/FTF/Double-Feed, or only when it starts to occur regularly?

I had an odd malfunction this morning with WWB being fired out of a new magazine in a Glock 19.
I wish I paid more attention when it happened, so I'm not sure what it was.

It was either an FTE or a FTE & a Double Feed, but I only discovered it when I replaced the magazine & rack to slide to load for the next string of shots. (I was just confirming a new sight arangement, Ameriglo I-Dot read with the .180 U notch & a Big Dot front, and yes, it worked out perfectly. Impact is right at the top of the dot @ 15 yards.)

Somehow, an empty case fall from the gun, and I look down to see a double feed.

That was the first 5 rounds of the day, and nothing else happened for the remaining 50 rounds.

I took the slide off and checked to see if the extractor looked like it was chipped, and it looks fine.

I'm not sure exactly what happened and not gripping correctly is a possibility too...but should I chalk it up to "Weird shit ocassionally happens, even to a Gen 3 Glock" or run about as if the sky is falling?

Gun was bought in 2005 and has about 10K-12K rounds through it.
Extractor was replaced earlier this year, but the rod, spring & plastic thingy at the end of the rod & spring were not.

LittleLebowski
08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
What is the story on the pistol? Generation, round count, etc.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-31-2011, 11:41 AM
What is the story on the pistol? Generation, round count, etc.

I added this as you were posting:

Gun is Gen 3 bought in 2005 and has about 10K-12K rounds through it.
Extractor was replaced earlier this year, but the rod, spring & plastic thingy at the end of the rod & spring were not.

ToddG
08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
It's hard to assess an "I don't know what happened or why" stoppage. I'm not even sure I understand what happened.

A G19 should have its recoil assembly replaced more often than every 12k rounds. Regardless of whether that's involved here or not, I'd get that done asap.

If this is the only stoppage you've had in 10-12k rounds, I wouldn't worry about it so long as it doesn't become a chronic problem. I would have put more rounds downrange to prove (or disprove) the gun's current reliability before leaving the range with it.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
It's hard to assess an "I don't know what happened or why" stoppage. I'm not even sure I understand what happened.

A G19 should have its recoil assembly replaced more often than every 12k rounds. Regardless of whether that's involved here or not, I'd get that done asap.

If this is the only stoppage you've had in 10-12k rounds, I wouldn't worry about it so long as it doesn't become a chronic problem. I would have put more rounds downrange to prove (or disprove) the gun's current reliability before leaving the range with it.

Recoil spring has been changed ever 2,000 to 3,000 rounds. The one in the gun is about 500 rounds old.

Looks like I've got another trip to the range after work...I would have shot more, but ran out of ammo and could only duck out of work for so long without people wondering what was talking me so long at court.:o

LittleLebowski
08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Run it hard. I'd be inclined not to worry but I would check the extractor for signs of wear, that being indicative of a new manufacture, problematic extractor.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
I went back to the range after work and ran 12 mags & some spare ammo through it in 1/2 hour.

No problems. I think I'm good.

JHC
08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
When I run into such, I'll switch carry guns (all Glock 9mms) until I run a few hundred rounds A-O-K through the gun and then fooogetaaboutit.