PDA

View Full Version : Help with draw from CCC Looper

Serpico1985
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Long story short I've been wanting to try AIWB for a while and finally found a used looper for my fullsize M&P. I've been giving it a try around the house (unloaded or with snap caps) and have a question regarding the best way to establish my grip. The one piece design is great. The holster offers excellent adjustable retention and I am very pleased with it for the limited time I've had it. I've noticed that there isn't much room between the top of the pants/belt line and the front part of the grip. I cannot drive my hand straight down onto the gun as if I were drawing from a normal safariland duty holster. When I try that I find my strong side middle finger knuckle stopping on the belt loop (and then the rest of my fingers kinda have to wiggle there way into the gap to get my grip).

I then augmented the draw a little were I now come in from the side and kinda jam my middle, ring and pinkie finger into the gap starting at the base of the pistol and slide it up to the bottom of the trigger guard. This seems to work better but is a little awkward and will take some getting use to.

I'm just looking for other folks opinions and experiences on the subject. Any tricks or better ways to address this?

Thanks for your time.

http://i56.tinypic.com/rsy8ed.jpg

joshs
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
That Looper appears to have lower than standard ride height. The Looper should allow for a full firing grip without smashing your knuckles into your belt. You can try bringing your hand straight in front of the gun and then establishing your firing grip. That should somewhat limit the knuckle smashing.

ToddG
08-31-2011, 08:59 AM
As joshs said, you should be able to get a full firing grip on the gun in the holster. Your belt appears to be rising upward at the hips which exacerbates the problem.

dookie1481
08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
I had the exact same problem with my Looper. Call Rich, he will take care of you.

TGS
09-01-2011, 07:23 AM
My Looper does the same thing. I've never had trouble establishing a grip; I just do it. Kinda like how Todd explains footwork in shooting on the move......just do it, let your feet(or hands in this case) do what it needs to. There's no reason to making it complicated with specific finger movements.

When my hand goes to the gun, the belt simply moves. I haven't found it to be a problem.

Serpico1985
09-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I jumped the gun a little (pun intended). It seems to be working itself out nicely with more and more dry fire practice. Thanks again.