PDA

View Full Version : P30 fails to lock back

JRas
08-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I love my P30 but one thing I can't stand is the slide failing to lock back when empty.

I know it's my grip and I'm sure a lot of you just adjusted your grip, and put your thumb on top of your support hand.

I'm thinking of either modifying the lever by shortening it or using a p2000/hk45 slide lock release. I feel if it was shorter my thumb wouldn't be on it but I also want to be able to release the slide fairly easy for reloads.

Anyone else have this problem?

JohnN
08-31-2011, 02:54 AM
I love my P30 but one thing I can't stand is the slide failing to lock back when empty.

I know it's my grip and I'm sure a lot of you just adjusted your grip, and put your thumb on top of your support hand.

I'm thinking of either modifying the lever by shortening it or using a p2000/hk45 slide lock release. I feel if it was shorter my thumb wouldn't be on it but I also want to be able to release the slide fairly easy for reloads.

Anyone else have this problem?

Even though I have adjusted my grip to make sure my strong hand thumb is placed on my support hand I still had the occasional failure to lock back. Taking JodyH's lead I shortened the slide release lever and that seems to have mostly taken care of the issue. Also ordered a slim slide release set for a P2000 from HK which is shorter and slimmed down on both sides and should alleviate the issue entirely. Time will tell.

zml342
08-31-2011, 05:20 AM
I had this problem a lot when I first started using the gun. I adjusted my grip (strong hand thumb over support hand) and it has 99% fixed my problem. From time to time when I get tired/lazy or am working on speed my grip will slip and I'll get a failure to lock back. For the most part, however, changing my grip and doing lots of dry fire to instill this grip has worked fine.

turbolag23
08-31-2011, 07:42 AM
i had the same issue when i first got my p30. i worked on my grip some and it helped but i dont get to shoot my p30 as much as i'd like (then again who does?) so i will still occasionally have it happen. if i shot the p30 more i'd probably go the route suggested and change out the lever.

JRas
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm going to try to order those slim releases.

I'd prefer to have something that is made for the gun. I know on the HK45 you remove the slide release to disassemble, as on the P30 you just pull it out enough.

John Ralston
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
The slide release from the P2000 is the same as the P30, other than lever length, and is interchangeable.

JRas
09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I attempted to call Hk this morning before I went to work. I figured it should be easy to give them some of my money.

I call and it says all our service representatives are busy doing inventory and they will be closed until the September 6th...

I attempted to contact someone in sales, which led me to an answering machine of someone on vacation.

Both operators told me to leave a message and they'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I dialed in the extension, "messages not being accepted".

Hk
"Because you suck, and we hate you."

John Ralston
09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
When I checked on HKParts.net to see if they had one, there was a note that stated you have to remove the lever in order to remove the slide.

Might be easier to just cut down the p30 lever.

JohnN
09-02-2011, 06:00 AM
These are the parts that I ordered:

SLIDE RELEASE LEVER, SLIM, P2000 PC 1 /PC

SLIDE RELEASE LEVER, RIGHT, SLIM, P2000 PC /

Have patience, I am sure the CS reps don't like taking inventory any more than you liked receiving that message.

As I understand it the the left slide release does come off as opposed to being captured in the P30. No big deal to me but YMMV.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

TGS
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
HK has an inventory?! :confused:

Certainly fooled the rest of us..........

JRas
09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I received my P2000 slim slide releases from Hk today.

install was a breeze

I've yet to shoot with them but so far they look promising, I'll update with a range report to see how they work for me. :)

Skold
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
I also have this problem. I have changed my grip some and it has helped. Maybe we could get Todd to take a picture of his grip showing how he holds his thumbs on the p30. This might help our problems.

JodyH
10-14-2011, 07:42 PM
My solution:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/p30sr.jpg

ubervic
10-14-2011, 08:47 PM
jody-

Is that the P2000 slide-release lever, and what is your failure-to-lock-back with it VS. with the standard P30 lever?

JodyH
10-14-2011, 09:00 PM
That's a P30 lever that's been attacked with a Dremel.

YVK
10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
My solution:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/p30sr.jpg

I have had the same done, and it is a very effective solution. I've been shooting G19 for 2 years, and even now I get an occasional no lock with standard slide release. This is one of those things that shooting 1911s leads to. With shortened slide stop on P30 this has been a non-issue so far.

JohnN
10-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Just buy the slim P2000 levers and be done with it.

joshs
10-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I also have this problem. I have changed my grip some and it has helped. Maybe we could get Todd to take a picture of his grip showing how he holds his thumbs on the p30. This might help our problems.

Not Todd, but I changed my grip slightly and never had a single fail to lock back afterwards.

ToddG
10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Mine is a bit different but functionally the same:

(photo courtesy ByronG)

Skold
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone for posting your pictures! Todd are you holding your thumbs away from the slide a bit? Sorry it is difficult to see exactly whats going on here :/

ToddG
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
No. My SH thumb tends to get rubbed slightly by the slide during cycling, while the WH thumb (on a P30) is touching the groove of the accessory rail.

LOKNLOD
10-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Not Todd, but I changed my grip slightly and never had a single fail to lock back afterwards.

I do the same thing - it never locked back with my "Glock" grip, but it always locks back for me like this. I don't have any hard data to prove it, but I think the pressure from my thumb helps keep my support hand locked against the grip a little better, too.

JohnN
10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Either I have bigger hands than you guys or just suck but until changing to the slim levers I still had the occasional slide-lock failure. Rather than keep changing my grip to accommodate the long levers it seemed reasonable to change them.

Since there is little chance of a P30 showing up as a battlefield pick-up there shouldn't be a continuity issue:D.

YVK
10-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Looking at Triple Nickle thread, it seems that you've solved the lock-back issue in a way other than grip change...

joshs
10-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Looking at Triple Nickle thread, it seems that you've solved the lock-back issue in a way other than grip change...

I was actually pretty disappointed with my performance with the G17. The "two-stage" feeling of the Glock trigger just doesn't work as well for me. I went to the range before work this morning with the P30, and I felt way more confident that I could put a bullet exactly where I wanted it to go. So, I'm switching back to the P30.

Skold
10-17-2011, 01:18 PM
No. My SH thumb tends to get rubbed slightly by the slide during cycling, while the WH thumb (on a P30) is touching the groove of the accessory rail.

Thanks for responding once again everyone, This is what a do, but when i try to shoot faster i think i tend to squeeze both hands much tighter, i think this causes the slide to not lock back.

JohnN
10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I was actually pretty disappointed with my performance with the G17. The "two-stage" feeling of the Glock trigger just doesn't work as well for me. I went to the range before work this morning with the P30, and I felt way more confident that I could put a bullet exactly where I wanted it to go. So, I'm switching back to the P30.

Not to get too far off topic but I have a hard time switching back and forth between the P30 and a striker fired platform. One sure way for me to screw up a range session is mix the two.

JRas
10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
slim-slide releases did it for me, love them

the only downside I see is the right one rattles.

for me not having the slide lock back was far worse than a rattle...

JohnN
10-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I put a little electrians tape under the lever and stopped most of the rattle.

Sent using Tapatalk

RJ
08-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Sorry for the Holy Thread Resurrection, but I did a search on my issue from the range yesterday, and this was the closest one I found.

I thought instead of generating a new thread for my VP9, I'd ask here, since from what I understand the P30 and VP9 slides are "similar".

Anyways, short story: yesterday I had 4 cases of Failure to Lock Back in about 200 rounds of shooting 6 magazines. Each time, it was the last round in the magazine. Looking around the internet, it seems that the most likely cause of my issue was me resting my thumb on the slide release lever.

Now, with me being left handed, in particular, my question is, are there any grip adjustments I need to watch out for in order to avoid this on my VP9?

The gun was bought new in March, and has about 400 rounds. No modifications, just Trijicon HD sights on it. I've just followed the Operator's Manual as far as field strip and clean, and I use Fireclean exclusively.

Thanks in advance.

PS If the mods want to lock this thread, I'll be happy to open a new one and let this one die back.

SteveK
08-19-2015, 08:27 AM
I'm a lefty too. I loved the P30 but after months of trying to adjust my grip I had to give up. I suppose that trimming off the right side slide release would have fixed the problem but I just went back to the G19 where the problem wasn't there to begin with.

BCL
08-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Sorry for the Holy Thread Resurrection, but I did a search on my issue from the range yesterday, and this was the closest one I found.

I thought instead of generating a new thread for my VP9, I'd ask here, since from what I understand the P30 and VP9 slides are "similar".

Anyways, short story: yesterday I had 4 cases of Failure to Lock Back in about 200 rounds of shooting 6 magazines. Each time, it was the last round in the magazine. Looking around the internet, it seems that the most likely cause of my issue was me resting my thumb on the slide release lever.

Now, with me being left handed, in particular, my question is, are there any grip adjustments I need to watch out for in order to avoid this on my VP9?

The gun was bought new in March, and has about 400 rounds. No modifications, just Trijicon HD sights on it. I've just followed the Operator's Manual as far as field strip and clean, and I use Fireclean exclusively.

Thanks in advance.

PS If the mods want to lock this thread, I'll be happy to open a new one and let this one die back.

Load one to two rounds in several magazines, shoot one handed with your thumb away from the slide release. If you don't have an issue then it's your grip.

Modify your grip as needed to prevent it happening in the future. With several types of guns I have to modify my grip slightly to get them to function reliably. If it's your strong hand thumb resting on the slide release, I would recommend placing it on your weak hand thumb joint thingamabob.

RJ
08-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Load one to two rounds in several magazines, shoot one handed with your thumb away from the slide release. If you don't have an issue then it's your grip.

Modify your grip as needed to prevent it happening in the future. With several types of guns I have to modify my grip slightly to get them to function reliably. If it's your strong hand thumb resting on the slide release, I would recommend placing it on your weak hand thumb joint thingamabob.

Excellent. This is just what I was looking for, thanks a bunch.

Rich

Guinnessman
08-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Rich,

I run the large side panels with the medium rear panel, and that seems to help me avoid the slide release. I also roll my strong hand thumb over my weak hand (I am a lefty). Try the grip shown in this blog:

http://victran.tumblr.com/post/55009816544/kyle-defoor-sig-secrets-ii-sig-sauer-is-well

1slow
08-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Bill Rogers showed me that grip. I have to use it even on a Glock. Works well on P30, HK45, HK USP 45.

RJ
08-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Rich,

I run the large side panels with the medium rear panel, and that seems to help me avoid the slide release. I also roll my strong hand thumb over my weak hand (I am a lefty). Try the grip shown in this blog:

http://victran.tumblr.com/post/55009816544/kyle-defoor-sig-secrets-ii-sig-sauer-is-well

Bill Rogers showed me that grip. I have to use it even on a Glock. Works well on P30, HK45, HK USP 45.

Thanks, got it. Will give this all a try next opportunity.

Rich