PDA

View Full Version : Live fire training program help

Danny
05-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Presently I have about 2-3 hours available/one range trip a week for live fire practice. My ammo budget allows for between 100-200 rds each week. My goal is to exceed in USPSA and eventually become a GM. In your opinion, what is the best use of my time at a static range?

Should I focus on only one drill each session?

HopetonBrown
05-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Buy the Ben Stoeger books and DVDs and do what they outline.

Slavex
05-30-2015, 04:59 PM
I would also figure out the things you suck at the most and work on improving them. If you think you have a good draw but your reloads suck work on reloads, if you think your transitions suck, work on them. Don't go to the range and only practice the things you are good at, work the difficult stuff, weak hand, strong hand etc.

Al T.
05-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Good advice. One thing Tom Givens mentioned in his podcast is when you have constraints, be careful to pick what you practice per location. If your draw is weak, practice that at home. No need to shoot. Use range time for live fire.

1slow
05-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Practice any skill dry that can be practiced dry.
If possible work it against the timer with par times. Parts of a movement can be worked against the timer and the put back together and timed.
Examples of skills to be worked are: trigger finger discipline, trigger press, sight alignment, sight picture, draw stroke, presentation from varied ready positions, reloads, malfunction clearances, footwork and movement.

Trigger press can be worked by putting a coin or empty pistol cartridge casing on the front sight and working the trigger while having the coin/case stay in place.
Claude Werner's Dry CDs are excellent, as are Rogers buddy trigger press drills, Stoeger's excellent books have already been mentioned.

Visualization is also helpful.

I try to use live fire to confirm my dry practice and to practice things dry work does not do well.
Recoil recovery, Bill drills, failure drills (2 body ,1 head) and aiming point at various ranges among others require live fire.

JTSpidey
07-03-2015, 06:40 AM
dry fire a lot. Take a course with any one better than you. Get squaded with some one at a match who is two levels above you. Go to at least two MAJOR matches a year. Get Mike Seeklanders book on dryfiring, go to tetreautraining.com for a warm-up target that will make you train all the important skills in shooting. Then dry fire some more. Remember, after accuracy, is Speed; and speed is doing everything fast that does not involve shooting. (transitions, draw, reload, movement, in and out of positions) This is were you make up your time. Don't shoot fast - do everything else fast, the pulling the trigger faster will come as your skills improve and your vision awareness opens up.

Failure2Stop
07-06-2015, 11:14 PM
To be a GM, you must not only be a superb surgical speed shooter, you must also be a superb stage planner and executor.

I'm going to be frank here:
If you don't know what it takes to be a GM, why are you so interested in being one?

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

Pup town
07-07-2015, 04:08 PM
To be a GM, you must not only be a superb surgical speed shooter, you must also be a superb stage planner and executor.

If you don't know what it takes to be a GM, why are you so interested in being one?

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

This is wrong. To be a GM, you must shoot the classifiers stages well. Most classifiers are stand and shoot and require no stage planning. The very few that require movement are straightforward and don't require stage planning either.

I'll be frank as well. People that downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GMs don't have the shooting skills to be a USPSA GM.

wtturn
07-07-2015, 04:50 PM

It's fun to watch the SMEs interact with the "little people".

What's your USPSA classification, "Jack"?

breakingtime91
07-07-2015, 05:07 PM
This is wrong. To be a GM, you must shoot the classifiers stages well. Most classifiers are stand and shoot and require no stage planning. The very few that require movement are straightforward and don't require stage planning either.

I'll be frank as well. People that downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GMs don't have the shooting skills to be a USPSA GM.

ok first off how did he downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GM's?

breakingtime91
07-07-2015, 05:08 PM

?

Pup town
07-07-2015, 05:26 PM
ok first off how did he downplay the shooting skills of USPSA GM's?

By saying (flat out incorrectly) to make GM you have to be a good stage planner, he would like us to think that other shooters (unranked or with a lower classification) are just as good as GMs when it comes to shooting, but they don't bother learning to stage plan or for some reason they aren't good at stage planning.

(I've been in the military or law enforcement for 12 years and shooting competitions for 11 years, and trust me, I've heard all the put downs about competition shooting from my tactical brethren. Jack's little jab doesn't require a lot of reading between the lines, but I'm happy to spell it out for you.)

If necessary, I can also spell out the irony in his response, but you probably already caught that.

Flexmoney
07-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Id also say it came off odd to be questioning a person's stated desire and goal..."to exceed at USPSA and become a GM"...while in the Competition/USPSA forum.

Seems like a perfectly legit goal and a proper question in a proper place.

wtturn
07-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Id also say it came off odd to be questioning a person's stated desire and goal..."to exceed at USPSA and become a GM"...while in the Competition/USPSA forum.

Yep.

I find it to be exceedingly poor form to tear down another's ambition and goal.

Failure2Stop
07-08-2015, 03:49 AM

I obviously phrased my response incorrectly if it garnered this much objection.
I was pointing out that high level match performance (of the GM variety) is attained not only from high marksmanship skill, proven by classifier stages, but in great part also to stage planning and executing that plan.

Frankly, I would agree with that statement. I would also say that solely focusing on the stand and shoot portion won't prepare an aspiring shooter for match wins.

If my reply came off as condescending, I apologize. I typed a quick reply late at night on my phone to a question with the intent to define purpose. Brevity was not intended to be insulting.

Not sure why my name is ironic here, it's open disclosure of who exactly is behind the screen name.
I was "A" Limited for my first couple of years in USPSA, which membership lapsed in 2007, if I recall correctly, as I was newly stationed in the UK and my ability to compete was limited sufficiently to preclude my inclination to pay membership fees. I competed fairly regularly from 2010 to 2012 as Unclassified since I no longer had a membership. My classifiers and stage performance were in the "A" area, with some in the low "M". I recently renewed my membership as I began shooting USPSA more frequently (Lim Minor) in 2014. I didn't get my membership in quickly enough to catch my last classifiers shot at Frostproof.
Here's the link to the results: http://www.universalshootingacademy.com/assets/2012/11/PCPS-020815.txt
Looks like I was mostly high "B", low "A".
Haven't shot a USPSA match since due to an injury and work schedule, but will be resuming shortly.

By saying (flat out incorrectly) to make GM you have to be a good stage planner, he would like us to think that other shooters (unranked or with a lower classification) are just as good as GMs when it comes to shooting, but they don't bother learning to stage plan or for some reason they aren't good at stage planning.

I hate to argue semantics, but since you seem to want to take umbrage at my reply, I was speaking to the op's stated desire to "exceed at USPSA and eventually make GM". Admittedly, my reply was not as clear as I intended, but the reply of, "to be a GM..." was not directed at the classifier part of becoming a GM, but of GM match performance.

(I've been in the military or law enforcement for 12 years and shooting competitions for 11 years, and trust me, I've heard all the put downs about competition shooting from my tactical brethren. Jack's little jab doesn't require a lot of reading between the lines, but I'm happy to spell it out for you.)

I was in the military for 15 years, and participated in USPSA since 2005. I have shot or continue to shoot SPR/DMR matches, USCA 2-Gun, various 3-Gun, and other forms of competitive marksmanship since then. I'm primarily a rifle/carbine guy these days, mostly due to the job and my past history of job duties. I frequently recommend that people shoot USPSA, and I would say that my involvement in non-military competition drove me to be better at my (then) day-job. There was no insult there other than what you have chosen to find.

If necessary, I can also spell out the irony in his response, but you probably already caught that.

I'm kinda interested to know what irony there is in my response.

Viewed on tapatalk, didn't see the sub-forum it was under.
Not that it matters, I agree that it's a perfectly valid goal, not that anyone's personal goals need to be validated by anyone.

The response I was trying to elicit from the op is what about being a GM did he find alluring. The stated practice time and goal, to me, would imply that he wanted to be a stronger competitor. IF that was the case, my advice would be to work on more than just the stand-up part of becoming a better classifier shooter and work on the "whole game" aspect. There is a reason that GMs teach stage planning classes: they make high-level shooters competitive. If the goal was simply to get the "GM" classification, then replicating classifier stages and focusing on the "where the wheels fall off" parts would be a good path.

Yep.

I find it to be exceedingly poor form to tear down another's ambition and goal.

My question about why the op was interested in being a GM without knowing what is needed to be a GM wasn't challenging the goal, but rather to understand WHAT about being a GM is so appealing. Is it that seeing a GM run a stage is impressive, or wanting the respect that fellow shooters give to someone that has earned the title "GM", or something else? What I wondered from reading the initial question was how many GMs he has shot with or interacted with. I was lucky in that I began shooting USPSA with guidance from GMs, and am in frequent contact with a handful. They answer my questions and I can discuss their approach to stages directly with them. I understand how different capabilities permit different stage plans, and how to generate a plan based on my skill level. I have discussed aspects of that strategy on this forum.

I happen to share a similar ambition to the op's: to make GM and place at the top of matches.
My work and travel schedule does not happen to support the training and practice needed to achieve that goal for the near-term. I know why I want to be a GM*, and I know what it takes to be a GM**.
*-Because I am competitive by nature, and it is a challenge to meet a goal that few attain.
**-Lots of work.

Mr Pink
07-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Great response Jack!

To those who took offense I will add this; Though we might be blunt at time, SMEs are here to help, not tear down ones ambitions. Due to our previous/current occupations (particularly those who came from the military), most tend to be very direct. That is how we are with each other and tend to forget that typed responses are without visuals, body language, inflection, etc... In light of that, there is still no reason to “jump to conclusions”, particularly on the internet. Also keep in mind that most of us are “A-types” and the internet is someplace that we merely pass through. Our full-time jobs, par-time jobs, hobbies and families, limit our interaction on forums, so our responses might be short at times. My apologies in the future if my curt (https://youtu.be/IgzFPOMjiC8?t=1m51s) responses offend anyone, particularly those whose parents would not allow them to play contact sports in school ;)

To the OP, there's some good info and recommendations so far. I'll echo Jack's and JTSpidey's and add by saying DRY FIRE every day, LIVE FIRE 1-2 times during the week and shoot 1-2 matches a month. Buy Steve Anderson's dry-fire Book (Refinement & Repetition) and/or take a class from him. Take a class from Frank Garcia and learn his live fire training method. If you follow that recipe, you can get there in less than a year!

Pup town
07-08-2015, 04:34 PM
If my reply came off as condescending, I apologize. I typed a quick reply late at night on my phone to a question with the intent to define purpose. Brevity was not intended to be insulting.

The condescension was not a product of the brevity. If you say you didn't mean to be condescending, then I'll have to take your word for it. But others read it the same way I did and found it condescending, it would seem.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

I'm kinda interested to know what irony there is in my response.

Guy asks what it takes to be a GM, and rather than give him any advice, you talk down to him (the 'I'm going to be frank' part) and chastise him for being interested in being a GM without knowing what it takes to be one. Yet one sentence above you demonstrated that you yourself don't know what it takes to be a GM.

breakingtime91
07-08-2015, 07:12 PM
The condescension was not a product of the brevity. If you say you didn't mean to be condescending, then I'll have to take your word for it. But others read it the same way I did and found it condescending, it would seem.

Guy asks what it takes to be a GM, and rather than give him any advice, you talk down to him (the 'I'm going to be frank' part) and chastise him for being interested in being a GM without knowing what it takes to be one. Yet one sentence above you demonstrated that you yourself don't know what it takes to be a GM.

dude.. lol

Failure2Stop
07-08-2015, 08:50 PM

If my clarification reply didn't answer your objection to my first post, or at least clarify my intent sufficiently to move the discussion along, I have a hard time in convincing myself that continued discourse will achieve anything positive.

KevinB
07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Presently I have about 2-3 hours available/one range trip a week for live fire practice. My ammo budget allows for between 100-200 rds each week. My goal is to exceed in USPSA and eventually become a GM. In your opinion, what is the best use of my time at a static range?

Should I focus on only one drill each session?

I'll admit I just popped in to this thread as I saw the title and Jack had responded. Maybe cause I know Jack (and Mr Pink), I did not think anything of the brevity of the response in his initial comment.

My response would have probably been - you can't get there from here. Short but honest.
Entirely due to the ending comments about "exceed in USPSA and eventually become a GM."
I'm not a GM, I shoot with some occasionally, and I know even when I was at my pistol shooting best (probably 15 years ago) I did not have what it took to become one, and barring me winning the Powerball to retire and shoot competitively for fun - it is never going to happen.

Now if I read a question saying, I have only X hours and x rounds per week, what is the best use of my time to improve myself as a USPSA shooter, I think the answers would have been different.

I'm not blaming the OP for his post, but just putting context into the reason why I see some replies would have been formed.

rwa
07-09-2015, 09:32 AM
...what is the best use of my time at a static range? Being stuck with a "static range" certainly limits your options. I am guessing it might be a bit difficult to work on stage planning and execution beyond the very basics. Besides not being able to move, are your stuck with one target? If so, transitions are out of the question and that really sucks.

Dry fire is definitely a huge part of any USPSA training regime. Get the videos, books, etc., of your choice and get busy. I am partial to Saul Kirsch's materials, and Ben Stoeger has some great materials. Stoeger's new video where he re-visits the fundamentals is a must see. Both of them have good dry fire and live fire drills on video and in print form. If you primarily shoot a production gun with open sights, go with Stoeger. If you shoot an open gun with a dot, Kirrsch gets the nod. Just my opinion.

As for static live fire, I suggest the draw, and reload drills using a reducing par time approach. Also, learn to shoot weak hand only and strong hand only. Firing strong hand or freestyle, reload, transfer gun to weak hand and fire, is a good skill to have. Good luck with your endeavor. Making GM through the classifier system will require some pretty salty gunslinger skills. You need to be fast, really fast. You also need the hits. Performing (match performance) at the GM level requires the whole enchilada.

After your first 4 classifiers, you will have an intitial classification. Assuming your initial classification isn't GM, you can go to Area and/or National matches and move up to in classification by opening up a real can of whoop a$$. Take a look at page 8 of the classification manual for an explanation of the system. GM is a lofty goal. Good luck.

wtturn
07-09-2015, 01:01 PM
My response would have probably been - you can't get there from here. Short but honest.
Entirely due to the ending comments about "exceed in USPSA and eventually become a GM."
I'm not a GM, I shoot with some occasionally, and I know even when I was at my pistol shooting best (probably 15 years ago) I did not have what it took to become one, and barring me winning the Powerball to retire and shoot competitively for fun - it is never going to happen.

Now if I read a question saying, I have only X hours and x rounds per week, what is the best use of my time to improve myself as a USPSA shooter, I think the answers would have been different.

I'm not blaming the OP for his post, but just putting context into the reason why I see some replies would have been formed.

OP only says "presently" he has x hours and y rounds. I can draw an inference that maybe later "x" and "y" could increase.

I'm in the camp that believes essentially anyone who is not physically handicapped has the inherent ability to become a GM. One just has to do what's required to unlock the potential.

To say "you can't get there from here" is silly on it's face. Every GM started as a U (Unclassified) shooter. Some then became a D, a C, a B, an A, an M, etc. It's a linear path. No matter where you start there is ALWAYS a path to GM, if you do the work. Anyone who is doing any progress at all is on the PATH to GM. After that it's entirely a function of how hard you're willing to work. Conversely, a person who never sets a goal to be GM will never be one.

OP, best of luck. Hope you make GM. Do what you can do now in livefire, and work 5 times as hard in dryfire. Shoot as many matches as you can. Work benchmark drills like the Bill/Blake/Accelerator/4 Aces. Set up mini-stages and run different plans and record the hit factors.

Failure2Stop
07-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I think that this would be a lot easier on everyone if the topic of conversation was: "I want to be better at USPSA. I currently have the ability to conduct live-fire one time a week for 100-200 rounds. How can I best utilize that time and ammunition?".

BJJ
07-10-2015, 06:16 AM
That would be great. Especially since we have had at least one GM comment on this thread.

rwa
07-10-2015, 08:22 AM
That would be great. Especially since we have had at least one GM comment on this thread.
Three GMs for sure.

Mikey
07-10-2015, 10:36 AM
While I am not a GM. I went from D to an 83% A in the last two years and if things go well this weekend I have delusions of grandeur to get my M card. I did it by loosely following Mike Seeklander's Program and I am currently working on my second go around. This program is down right painful to execute as it sucks all the fun out of going to the range. The payoff comes on match day and to me it has been well worth it.

A few other things I did that I think helped:

I lost 10lbs (probably could stand to loose 20 more).
I started using Captains of Crush Grippers to increase my grip strength.
If you don't already reload I highly suggest you start to save the money and tailor your loads to your gun.
Pick one gun and stick with it. Do not shoot anything else at all if you can help it.
If you have any friends who do well at USPSA ask them to squad with you and then break down what you did right and wrong.
If you have not had your eyes checked go do it. My training buddy finally did after wasting years practicing to find out over half his problems were because he couldn't see.

Hope this helps.

KevinB
07-14-2015, 10:46 AM
OP only says "presently" he has x hours and y rounds. I can draw an inference that maybe later "x" and "y" could increase.

I'm in the camp that believes essentially anyone who is not physically handicapped has the inherent ability to become a GM. One just has to do what's required to unlock the potential.

To say "you can't get there from here" is silly on it's face. Every GM started as a U (Unclassified) shooter. Some then became a D, a C, a B, an A, an M, etc. It's a linear path. No matter where you start there is ALWAYS a path to GM, if you do the work. Anyone who is doing any progress at all is on the PATH to GM. After that it's entirely a function of how hard you're willing to work. Conversely, a person who never sets a goal to be GM will never be one.

OP, best of luck. Hope you make GM. Do what you can do now in livefire, and work 5 times as hard in dryfire. Shoot as many matches as you can. Work benchmark drills like the Bill/Blake/Accelerator/4 Aces. Set up mini-stages and run different plans and record the hit factors.

Did you even read my post?

My point was I did not have X or Y - and I disagree with your premise that anyone can do it -- anyone can do it with enough time, money and dedication.
Things I do not have at this junction in my life - and the OP does not have.

As Jack posted below - and what my post was he best question is what is the best he can currently setup his time and range time for what he currently can do to get better.

For a long drawn out response to the OP.

1) get a shooting buddy or find a local mentor in USPSA who is ideally an A shooter or better
Have them look at your shooting - and figure out like what Rob/Slavex said above.
I would also figure out the things you suck at the most and work on improving them. If you think you have a good draw but your reloads suck work on reloads, if you think your transitions suck, work on them. Don't go to the range and only practice the things you are good at, work the difficult stuff, weak hand, strong hand etc.

Buying books and DVD's unless you already have an understanding can breed in a lot of bad reps doing it "wrong" that will be harder to break than doing it right the correct way.

2) If your stuck to a static range (which could mean a number of things from no movement to no movement/no multiple targets etc.) I would focus on 1) Accuracy 2) Speed via recoil management for follow up shots. 3) Draw and engagement of first target with two rounds (to ensure you have a good master grip on the draw - which one round can be misleading).

3) Dray Fire, Grip Strength, Reloads, etc can be done primary at home in your other free time.

I cannot stress enough the importance of finding someone who is skilled to at least do a baseline evaluation of where you are - and what your immediate concerns are.
If not you may waste a lot of time polishing something that was already decent -and not make rapid gains where you had deficiencies.

wtturn
07-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Did you even read my post?

My point was I did not have X or Y - and I disagree with your premise that anyone can do it -- anyone can do it with enough time, money and dedication.
Things I do not have at this junction in my life - and the OP does not have.

As Jack posted below - and what my post was he best question is what is the best he can currently setup his time and range time for what he currently can do to get better.
]

Apart from semantics, I'm thinking we're saying the same thing. At least the essence of the same thing.

And OP hasn't even been back in this thread since starting it, so we're all probably wasting bandwidth arguing with one another anyway, lol.

KevinB
07-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Apart from semantics, I'm thinking we're saying the same thing. At least the essence of the same thing.

And OP hasn't even been back in this thread since starting it, so we're all probably wasting bandwidth arguing with one another anyway, lol.

Agreed.

Danny
08-06-2015, 09:16 PM
I haven't been on the thread or the forum in a while, mostly because my limited free time has been spent on Stoeger's dry fire book and going to the actual range.

To those who gave actual advice, thank you.

Danny
08-06-2015, 09:28 PM

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

Oh, and the reason I want to be a GM is because I want to be a great, not good shooter. Clearly, if I knew what it took to get there I'd be a GM already. Your initial reply was snarky, the subsequent replies; less so.

If anyone is interested, my training lately has been focused on support hand only shooting (live and dry fire shooting, because my weak hand is a huge weak link) transitions and shooting while on the move, and trigger control. This week I was also able to do a six reload six in 5.3 which is .5 faster than two weeks ago, with all A zone hits. Switching to a heavier gun has helped, I'm now using an SP01.

wtturn
08-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Oh, and the reason I want to be a GM is because I want to be a great, not good shooter. Clearly, if I knew what it took to get there I'd be a GM already. Your initial reply was snarky, the subsequent replies; less so.

If anyone is interested, my training lately has been focused on support hand only shooting (live and dry fire shooting, because my weak hand is a huge weak link) transitions and shooting while on the move, and trigger control. This week I was also able to do a six reload six in 5.3 which is .5 faster than two weeks ago, with all A zone hits. Switching to a heavier gun has helped, I'm now using an SP01.

Good job, keep up the good work.

Don't neglect partials in your training to ramp up the difficulty and keep yourself honest with calling your "dry" shots.

Danny
08-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Good job, keep up the good work.

Don't neglect partials in your training to ramp up the difficulty and keep yourself honest with calling your "dry" shots.

Depending on the partial target, I usually do ok. The zebra ones are tough and kill my time, but they are something I will focus on once my glaring deficiencies have been addressed (weak hand shooting and transitions on the move)

Danny
08-26-2015, 08:09 PM
20 minutes of dry fire today while my 10 month old napped.

The first 10 minutes was spent on Stoeger's draw and establish sight picture at simulated 10 yards with a .70 par time. I was consistently hitting the par time, however the sight picture I was able to get would only be appropriate for maybe 5-7 yards. I'll have to sort this out in the coming dry fire sessions.

The second ten minutes was spent on gun on target > reload > sight picture at simulated 10 yards with a par time of 1.0 second. A little trickier. I've found that metal mags are in fact much less forgiving than plastic Glock mags in speed reloads. I'm close to the par time, however yet again, the sight picture isn't acceptable for an A Zone hit on a target at 30 feet. (If this was at a simulated 3 or 5 yards I'd be golden.)

The challenge continues and my work is laid out for me. Grandmaster or bust.

Luke
08-26-2015, 10:29 PM
You need to start a training journal man!

Sal Picante
08-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Someone mentioned the Ben Stoeger material - good stuff there.

Especially good is learning how to grade your practice on classifiers. Essentially, you can do the math and learn what it takes to get a GM level score, then structure you training accordingly.

Pick a classifier a week and start grinding away; do the math, figure out the times, etc, then start doing drills that will help attain that goal.

Pretty simple, really...

Danny
11-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Someone mentioned the Ben Stoeger material - good stuff there.

Especially good is learning how to grade your practice on classifiers. Essentially, you can do the math and learn what it takes to get a GM level score, then structure you training accordingly.

Pick a classifier a week and start grinding away; do the math, figure out the times, etc, then start doing drills that will help attain that goal.

Pretty simple, really...

Great advice. I just shot a classifier match this past weekend and got my initial classification: C.
This week's dry fire session was actually three of the classifiers I shot over the weekend. Disaster Factor, More Diaster Factor, and El Pres. My focus was on partials and WHO. I've quickly discovered that WHO is my biggest glaring flaw at this point.