PDA

View Full Version : First Pistol Beretta px4 vs Glock 17

Bbell83
05-24-2015, 10:44 PM
I will be purchasing my first handgun in the next week or so. I believe I have narrowed my choices to Beretta px4 or glock 17. I'm wondering what the opinions are of those that have shot both? What should I look for as a new gun owner? Thanks for the help!

GJM
05-24-2015, 10:56 PM
I will be purchasing my first handgun in the next week or so. I believe I have narrowed my choices to Beretta px4 or glock 17. I'm wondering what the opinions are of those that have shot both? What should I look for as a new gun owner? Thanks for the help!

I have both -- not even close, get the Glock.

GardoneVT
05-24-2015, 11:07 PM
What should I look for as a new gun owner?

Affordable training opprotunities.

GJM is correct.

Get the Glock, find a reputable handgun training course, and dont set foot into a gun store again for another 5 years. Without quality training you are just a crime victim with a gun.
I wish I found this place when I undertook owning my first pistol.....sigh.

ReverendMeat
05-25-2015, 02:36 AM
I'm wondering what the opinions are of those that have shot both? What should I look for as a new gun owner?

Buy a gun chambered in 9mm that doesn't suck (either of your options are fine. The Beretta is more interesting to me but I wouldn't pick it over a G17). Then buy ammo and find some reputable local training. Doesn't need to be a 3 day pistol/carbine HSLD course taught by bearded dudes who hold their guns funny, just someone who knows what to watch for and can help set you up with proper technique. Then go practice those techniques regularly, dry fire and live fire as often as is realistic given time and budget constraints.

Also it's okay to buy other guns, though preferably not at the expense of affording ammo for them or the ones you already have.

fixer
05-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Although both pistols are polymer, each could not be more different. One is striker fired, other hammer fired & DA/SA.

PX4: good gun. shoots accurately and is reliable. I had a few PX4s over the years and they were always great shooters through thousands of rounds and multiple calibers. DA/SA can be both a help and a hindrance to a new pistol shooter. Remembering what the safety decocker does and how to instinctively operate it takes a while. Negative side of this pistol: Magazines are expensive, holster selection is minimal.

G 17: Superlative pistol. You get a pistol that is a modern legend. It has been tested and used by so many agencies worldwide it is almost ridiculous. It is also easy to repair yourself. for a new pistol shooter the G17 can be easier to learn. There really is no negative about this pistol.

No matter what get some snap caps for practice.

I'd get the G17. I traded my PX4s for a G17 and a G19.

LittleLebowski
05-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Glock 17.

TCinVA
05-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Glock 17 is the safe bet...but be aware that it has a very low margin for handling errors.

Cookie Monster
05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Glock 17 but if you got smaller hands think Gen4 or Glock 19.

Order quality holsters now.

Cookie Monster

45dotACP
05-25-2015, 12:41 PM
All the above...Glock 17, a few cases of ammo, a good instructor, an open mind and a few books to read before going to bed. I recommend Ben Stoeger's and Brian Enos' and Tom Given's books.

will_1400
05-25-2015, 03:28 PM
I'll echo the choir on the Glock 17. It's one of the best pistols available and won't break the bank. Plus it's so common that it's easy to find holsters, magazines, and spare parts.

Kyle Reese
05-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Glock 17 & quality handgun training from a reputable instructor.

Welcome to PF.

HCM
05-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Of the options you listed Glock 17 and training / ammo as recommended above.

If you really want a a Beretta, get a 92 variant. The PX series is a love it or hate it proposition and most I know hate them.

If you want a polymer framed DA/SA 9mm I would recommend the SIG SP2022 or the CZ P-07/09 over the PX.

Hambo
05-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Of the options you listed Glock 17 and training / ammo as recommended above.

If you really want a a Beretta, get a 92 variant. The PX series is a love it or hate it proposition and most I know hate them.

I'll second this. I bought my first 92F in 1988 and several more since, with more planned for the future. The single PX4 wasn't here for long.