PDA

View Full Version : need advice regarding a locked up (broken?) Steyr GB

pangloss
05-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Last weekend I took my Steyr GB to the range. I don't think I'd shot it since 2008, so it was past due for some range time. I shot a full mag (18 rounds) through it, reloaded the one mag I have, and let a friend shoot it. Everything seemed fine until his fifth trigger pull, upon which the gun when click. Long story made short is that the the slide won't come out of battery and a live round is still in the chamber. I've tried tried field stripping it, but the third step in that process involves pulling the slide back and the slide won't budge. It makes not difference if I hold the pistol right side up, upside down, or on it's side.

I figure the odds of my finding a gunsmith that knows anything about GB's is pretty low. Since the gun still has a live round in the chamber, I can't ship it anywhere. I posted a thread on the Steyr Forum, but it seems to have gone offline shortly after my post. I also e-mailed Steyr Arms' US distributor, but I doubt they'll be able to help me since the GB has been out of production for so long. If anyone has any suggestions on what to try next, I'd appreciate the advice.

SAWBONES
05-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Assuming the mag is out, will the demounting lever rotate down, and have you been able to remove the lock cap at the muzzle and take out the spring guide tube?

If so, I'd try clamping the slide in padded vise jaws (gun upside down) and whacking the frame forward with a rubber dead blow hammer.

Muzzle pointed in safe direction, etc.

Sigfan26
05-23-2015, 10:20 PM
My method for this (seen it many many times on many many guns): grip slide firmly in left hand. Slam web of right hand (between thumb and forefinger) into frame.

I'm no gunsmith, and assume no liability for anything that may result from doing this.

JM Campbell
05-24-2015, 07:22 AM
It is most likely a out of spec round, follow the advice above while following safety rules with pistol fully assembled and no magazine.

pangloss
05-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks, all for the good advice. I held the slide firmly in my left hand and gave the frame a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet. That did the trick. Turns out that the pistol had an empty brass stuck in the chamber and not a loaded round. Based on the empty brass, I presume that the gun fired but didn't cycle because of an out of spec round. I'll give the pistol a close inspection and cleaning later today or tomorrow, but on first glance, everything appears to be okay now.

SAWBONES
05-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Good to hear.

JM Campbell
05-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Great news.

CCT125US
05-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Glad you got it worked out. I had a similar situation with a G26, twice. I carry a retractable dental mirror (and light) to check the bore.