PDA

View Full Version : G26 sized DA/SA pistols. What are the options?

Lon
05-23-2015, 11:52 AM
I know about the 224, the 2000sk and the upcoming P30sk. What am I missing?

I want something smaller than my 229 and M9A1 compact to carry during the summer. Being able to cut in an RMR is a plus because I'm thinking about going back that route.

CCT125US
05-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe the CZ75 Rami.

Chuck Haggard
05-23-2015, 03:05 PM
The only one popping to my mind is the 3913, and the more compact "Chief's Special" version of the same platform.

WDW
05-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Walther P99....it'll change your life

Default.mp3
05-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Beretta P4X Storm SubCompact.

Mark Housel has done RMRs on P2000s, so I would imagine P2000SKs are doable.

hallnh727
05-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Sphinx sdp subcompact

Mike pannone wrote a piece on the cz rami
http://www.defensereview.com/cz-2075-rami-big-gun-performance-in-a-sub-compact-dasa-9mm-40-sw-pistol/

GJM
05-23-2015, 04:21 PM
G26 with a Gadget, since it is 75% of a DA/SA. :)

Tabasco
05-23-2015, 08:37 PM
SIG 239? Fits my 229 holsters, works just the same. Got it as a replacement for my 908 (budget 3913) if it ever goes TU. 700 rounds so far without any issues.

gtmtnbiker98
05-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Disregard, missed DA/SA

LostDuke
05-23-2015, 09:34 PM
I have an old but great Sig 225 that is very similar in size, but heavier. Shoots beautifully though. The 239 is also great.

Hizzie
05-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Beretta Mini Cougar.
Bersa Thunder Nine?

I can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned without dipping into 380/32/25/22 range.

JDM
05-24-2015, 02:07 AM
I agree.
With an NY1 spring, a Glock has a very DA like trigger pull, and if the gun has to be a tiny but usable, a G26 is hard to beat.

TheNewbie
05-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Walther P99....it'll change your life

Also can't you keep the decocker depressed while holster, which in turn prevents the striker from moving? Acting like a gadget or external hammer...

WDW
05-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Also can't you keep the decocker depressed while holster, which in turn prevents the striker from moving? Acting like a gadget or external hammer...

Actually no, that doesn't work, but if you unintentionally pull the trigger on a P99 in DA mode while reholstering, you probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm. You can however thumb the back plate for a tactile indicator of rearward striker movement.

TheNewbie
05-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Actually no, that doesn't work, but if you unintentionally pull the trigger on a P99 in DA mode while reholstering, you probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm. You can however thumb the back plate for a tactile indicator of rearward striker movement.

Ok thank you for the correction. Not sure why I had that misunderstanding.

Again thank you.

Lon
05-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The CZ and the Walther are interesting. Didn't know the CZ line had decockers available. The ohm problem with the Walther is that a MRDS is not an option down the road. I've always liked the Walther P99 series when I've been able to shoot them.

I've had the 239/225 before. I want something smaller.

As far as the Gadget goes, is it commercially available now? If it is, I missed the announcement. Last I saw it was still in testing.

David S.
05-24-2015, 09:22 AM
As far as the Gadget goes, is it commercially available now? If it is, I missed the announcement. Last I saw it was still in testing.

I got this one for you Tom.....

Soon.

;)

olstyn
05-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Actually, it's an article of faith over on the Walther forum that it does work, just not quite in that way. It doesn't prevent movement, but apparently the decocker button does extend far enough down when depressed to catch the tab on the top of the striker before it would move forward far enough to hit the primer of a chambered round.

Also, as far as being G26 sized, that would be the P99c. The P99 is roughly equivalent to a G19 in size.

olstyn
05-24-2015, 09:35 AM
The ohm problem with the Walther is that a MRDS is not an option down the road.

Yeah, the top of the slide really doesn't have anywhere you could cut into in order to mount one because of the position of the decocker button.

WDW
05-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Actually, it's an article of faith over on the Walther forum that it does work, just not quite in that way. It doesn't prevent movement, but apparently the decocker button does extend far enough down when depressed to catch the tab on the top of the striker before it would move forward far enough to hit the primer of a chambered round.

Also, as far as being G26 sized, that would be the P99c. The P99 is roughly equivalent to a G19 in size.
Yes, I thought it was understood I meant the P99c. All I know is I have tried to pull the trigger with the decocker depressed & it still went "click". Will it fire?? IDK & I'm not gonna find out.

TGS
05-24-2015, 10:03 AM

That'd be cool, if it ever came to market.

The rest of us mere mortals will have to live with realistic choices.

Sean O
05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
I had a chance to shoot Pannone's RAMI a couple of times during classes. Out of the box the RAMI has a decent trigger, but the CZ custom trigger is just awesome. GREAT little gun.

olstyn
05-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Yes, I thought it was understood I meant the P99c. All I know is I have tried to pull the trigger with the decocker depressed & it still went "click". Will it fire?? IDK & I'm not gonna find out.

I figured you meant the P99c, but I also thought that people not familiar with the weapon could use the clarification. No offense intended, of course.

Re: the decocker button issue, I just realized that I can safely test it, as I have a couple of pieces of brass of a headstamp I prefer not to use that I accidentally primed but didn't load. A primer with no powder and no bullet won't have enough oomph move the slide at all, so I'll take one along next time I go to the range, see if it works, and report back.

WDW
05-24-2015, 10:42 PM
I figured you meant the P99c, but I also thought that people not familiar with the weapon could use the clarification. No offense intended, of course.

Re: the decocker button issue, I just realized that I can safely test it, as I have a couple of pieces of brass of a headstamp I prefer not to use that I accidentally primed but didn't load. A primer with no powder and no bullet won't have enough oomph move the slide at all, so I'll take one along next time I go to the range, see if it works, and report back.
Sounds good!!

archangel
06-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Another option you can use is to drop a pencil, eraser first, down the barrel, then test. A normal firing pin strike to the eraser is enough to launch the pencil out of the barrel.

olstyn
06-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Sounds good!!

I finally got around to testing this today, and it works just as advertised. I held down the decocker button, pulled the trigger, and nothing happened. I then released the decocker, pulled the trigger, and the primer popped.

WOLFIE
06-29-2015, 12:40 PM
It has been a little while since i read this thread. Does anyone have experience with the Sig P224?

David S.
06-29-2015, 01:11 PM
I don't have a lot of rounds through mine, but the couple hundred rounds I do have through have been very reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot. So far it has a very good complement to my P226. Only downside is that it's a bit heavy for a sub-compact.

I don't know about the other P224 models, but the Extreme has a very low profile slide catch lever that is fits in my P226. So far it has solved the issue with my thumb riding the slide catch preventing it from locking back.

WOLFIE
07-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I don't have a lot of rounds through mine, but the couple hundred rounds I do have through have been very reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot. So far it has a very good complement to my P226. Only downside is that it's a bit heavy for a sub-compact.

I don't know about the other P224 models, but the Extreme has a very low profile slide catch lever that is fits in my P226. So far it has solved the issue with my thumb riding the slide catch preventing it from locking back.

Thank you for the reply. If i start using a P226 for police work, i will use a P224 for concealed carry (i currently use a Glock 34).

Lon
07-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Still looking around. I got to shoot a Sig 224 today. I was pleasantly surprised. Decent trigger and little recoil. A little heavy though.

Decisions, decisions.

Lon
07-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Decision made. Found a used SW99 Compact with 4 mags and night sights for $375. Figured I can't pass that deal up.

olstyn
07-13-2015, 12:18 PM
That is definitely a good deal. It's essentially a P99c for way less money. IIRC I paid $600+ for my P99c before tax. They've come down a bit since, but you're still probably about $200 under the online retailers once you figure in shipping, transfer, etc, and that's before you buy 2 extra mags. The only thing you might have a hard time with is holsters, as the contours of your slide are a bit different than the Walther version. If you want/need some flat baseplates for your mags, PM me; I've got at least 2 that are even the correct for your gun S&W marked ones, as I bought some SW99c mags for my P99c and then threw some pinky rest baseplates on them. If you want them, they're yours for free.

HCM
07-13-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm curious to hear how it works out. I've always liked the Walther P99 but the S&W versions didn't have the greatest reputation for reliability or durability. Upside is a fair number of Walthef parts should interchange if necessary.

Lon
07-13-2015, 12:38 PM
That is definitely a good deal. It's essentially a P99c for way less money. IIRC I paid $600+ for my P99c before tax. They've come down a bit since, but you're still probably about $200 under the online retailers once you figure in shipping, transfer, etc, and that's before you buy 2 extra mags. The only thing you might have a hard time with is holsters, as the contours of your slide are a bit different than the Walther version. If you want/need some flat baseplates for your mags, PM me; I've got at least 2 that are even the correct for your gun S&W marked ones, as I bought some SW99c mags for my P99c and then threw some pinky rest baseplates on them. If you want them, they're yours for free.

Thanks for the offer. He's got the original base plates along with the pinky extensions. Figured I'd take a chance. I can probably get my money back out of it if I don't like it.

olstyn
07-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the offer. He's got the original base plates along with the pinky extensions. Figured I'd take a chance. I can probably get my money back out of it if I don't like it.

Sounds good - I just figured that since I had them and don't use them, I'd offer. Good luck with the pistol; I think that if it proves reliable, you'll end up liking it.

TheNewbie
07-14-2015, 03:09 AM
How natural is it to reach the decocker on P99 or P99c? Being on the slide it seems like it would take a dramatic grip shift.

olstyn
07-14-2015, 09:32 AM
How natural is it to reach the decocker on P99 or P99c? Being on the slide it seems like it would take a dramatic grip shift.

Using the P99/P99c's decocker with my strong hand thumb is a bit of an awkward reach. I typically use my weak hand to decock, but given that decocking is a post-shooting/pre-holstering activity for me, I'm not bothered by breaking my grip to do it. Obviously your usage may vary from mine, and if you prefer to decock in situations where you want to maintain your firing grip, you would certainly benefit from having extra long thumbs.

Lon
09-25-2015, 06:55 PM
UPDATE:

The last couple months I've been carrying the SW99c in a pocket holster (desantis) or in this Insane Kydex Creations IWB holster:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/xpd54/BAF56E4C-855A-441F-876A-A22D892A10C6_zpsdejtxwds.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/xpd54/B9077A53-0569-4D2A-B959-EEAB76C04FA8_zpstjwdj7cv.jpg

There aren't a lot of holster out there for this pistol so I thought I'd give IKC a try. It's a good holster, just not really designed for AIWB. The AIWB life hack helps, it's just not as comfy as my JMCK AIWB holsters are.

I like the way the pistol shoots. Easy to shoot and very accurate.

Yesterday I was at my brother in laws gun shop looking for good deals on used guns like I always do and lo and behold, what do I see in the HK case? A used/test fired only light LEM P30sk 9mm for $479. Took me about 5 seconds to tell them to put it in layaway. For that price, I'll give the light LEM a chance. I was in a hurry to get outta there so I just dry fired it a few times but that light LEM is pretty nice. Just too good of a deal to pass up.

Alpha Sierra
09-25-2015, 08:11 PM
NM...

Crews
09-25-2015, 09:29 PM
I just put the purchase on a P30SK a few months ago. It was only natural since my regular carry is a P30.... But man, I really like it! Nice for those summer days.