PDA

View Full Version : Practical Shotgun test

GJM
05-22-2015, 01:55 PM
I would like to have a 50 or so round test, that would help me benchmark my ability, and the capability of various sighting systems and action types. I am thinking 35 rounds of shot and 15 slugs, but that is just an initial wag.

It should primarily cover use of the shotgun for personal defense, but to the extent it was also relevant for animal defense and police work, I think that would be a plus. Anyone have such a test, or ideas of what should be on the test?

JodyH
05-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Moving targets that move in a consistent manner would be good to use, especially a rapidly advancing 4"-6" target that's 2'-3' from the ground (dog/bear target).

Consistent because that's the only way to accurately compare things. Not because dogs or bears move consistently.

LHS
05-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Doing an emergency/ejection port reload sounds like a good idea. Not only do you get to work ammo management with various operating systems, but you'll also have to reacquire a sight picture afterwards.

GJM
05-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Moving targets that move in a consistent manner would be good to use, especially a rapidly advancing 4"-6" target that's 2'-3' from the ground (dog/bear target).

Consistent because that's the only way to accurately compare things. Not because dogs or bears move consistently.

Jody, I am struggling with how to do this. How about a series of 3 or 4 steel plates, set-up from 5-15 yards. You could do far to near, simulating a charge? Have to be shot, if using steel, as that is too close for slugs.

Doing an emergency/ejection port reload sounds like a good idea. Not only do you get to work ammo management with various operating systems, but you'll also have to reacquire a sight picture afterwards.

Matt, I think maybe a little of this, say 1-3 in the overall test, but not too much, as absent a weird situation, my shotgun reload is drawing my pistol.

OK, who has some more ideas for the shooting part?

JodyH
05-22-2015, 03:34 PM
I have a cable system (think angled clothesline with a target suspended from a pully) at our range that I can suspend a steel plate on a rubber strap from and do a moving target at multiple angles (including charging or retreating).
It's gravity powered so it's usually fairly consistent.
With the steel suspended from a rubber strap I've shot it as close as 5Y with #00. (this bay has a 360 degree berm).

jlw
05-22-2015, 04:24 PM
A bunch of LE shotgun quals were posted in this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10756-Shotgun-Standards), but I suspect there are more truly practical tests that don't involve trying make sure the least common denominator is "qualified".

JodyH
05-22-2015, 04:40 PM
I think I'd do some Pass/Fail par time standards on steel plates at varying distances.

example:
10Y, low ready, #00, 6" plate in under 1.5 seconds. Miss or over time is "fail", repeat 5 times.
10Y, low ready, #00, three 6" plates spaced 3' between centers in under 2.5 seconds. Miss or over time is Fail.

With my mover I might have another person activate it and I have to hit it within "x" distance to Pass depending on how fast I have it set to travel.
If I start it at 15Y and it's moving at a fast jog speed then I might say that I have to hit it from low ready before it crosses the 10Y line.
If I have the mover travelling cross range then I might make it so I have a 5Y "window" that I have to come up from low ready and shoot it inside of.

SLG
05-22-2015, 07:06 PM
I've never heard of a 50 rd shotgun test. Sounds like fun:-)

Malamute
05-22-2015, 11:36 PM
I would like to have a 50 or so round test, that would help me benchmark my ability, and the capability of various sighting systems and action types. I am thinking 35 rounds of shot and 15 slugs, but that is just an initial wag.

It should primarily cover use of the shotgun for personal defense, but to the extent it was also relevant for animal defense and police work, I think that would be a plus. Anyone have such a test, or ideas of what should be on the test?

Not exactly what you are asking for, but have you shot Sporting Clays much? Very different game than average shotgun sports. The rabbits were often particularly difficult from uneven ground. Many otherwise good skeet and trap shooters had pretty low scores when they first shot Sporting Clays. Good practice with a lot of variation in directions, angles and all.

LHS
05-23-2015, 01:36 AM
Try quick snap shots from oblique angles. 90 degree turn, fire. 180 degree turn, fire. I like Jody's time constraints as well. Anything that stresses you while you have to get the gun up and on target quickly, from various positions/angles, should be a good inclusion for the test.