PDA

View Full Version : Shot in my 1st uspca pistol match last weekend

mainiac1
05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Alls I can say is I'm hooked. What a blast to shoot in these. The other thing I'll say is I got allotta work to do to start being remotely competitive. Glad I didn't ask about my times or scores at the range...I need to cut my time in 1/2, and stop missing the steel. Last couple stages I started missing left...like I was pushing the gun left? I also need to get a few pointers from some of you guys/gals that shoot this well. I shot my EAA SARK2 .45....I really like the meatiness of this pistol plus it has a 14 rd mag, and adj sights, recoil is better than most uncomped .45's, close to a 9mm in fact. Price of ammo SUX though. Slow fire this gun is the best shooting .45 I have shot! 2x tap I can keep it on paper much better than my CZ75. Still looking for a good 9mm for $500-600 range...really like the EAA Witness Elite Match, but its running $700 for the 9mm models. Questions....do you guys/gals actually use the sights on both the paper silloetes and steel, or do you sight on steel and just point and shoot paper? Or do you sight everything, just a lot faster than I did this weekend :) What things can I practice on to get my sights on target quicker without breaking the bank? I got a Ruger .22 w bull barrel that would be cheaper to practice with at least target acquisition. I'm used to slow fire bull's-eye shooting...squeezing trigger till the gun goes off as you hold a small wobble area. This shooting seems like I need to adapt a different approach. I appreciate any suggestions. Also gonna start practicing for a 2 gun match coming up in a month or 2 so feel free to comment on the rifle aspect too. Thanks

BCGlocker
05-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the competition world. Just be safe and shoot slow and don't worry about the time element until you get use to this. I use sights on every shot. BTW, do you mean USPSA not USPCA?

Leroy
05-19-2015, 06:51 PM
I use some form of sighted fire for every shot. When I first shot USPSA I used sight focus for all but the 3 yards and in shots. If you work on your draw that will build a form of index that will allow you to present the gun between your eye and the target at speed consistently. This will allow you to begin trying different visual focuses for differing shots. I would recommend getting a consistent index built before jumping into the different visual focus.
Finding a decent 9 mm for competition for $500-600 is doable. But to get the most out of the gun (replacement of sights, trigger work, etc.) and enough mags, holster, pouches, belt, you will need more like $1,000 unless you buy a used package (which I would recommend). Go over to brianenos.com/forum and look in the classifieds for a Glock, XDM, CZ, or Tanfo used competition rig that will fit the bill. Any of those guns (at least 4.5" barrel versions) will not hold you back until have reached a high skill level.

45dotACP
05-19-2015, 08:02 PM
If you want to get on target quick, I'd work on developing an Index. Heres a hint, draw the gun so the muzzle is parallel with the ground right about when it reaches the sternum. Then just press it forward, keeping it parallel. I sometimes still use a penny on the slide of my G34 to practice presentations from a so called 'high ready' and focus on keeping it parallel throughout. The process of developing an index is something the guys at Enos know a lot about. I'd get an account there as well. Enos and PF are pretty much the only forums I read anymore.

I use the sights in some way for every shot I fire. Sometimes they're blurry and not aligned very well, sometimes, I take a hard front sight focus and get a refined sight picture. You'll develop a feel for what you personally need, and those needs change as you refine your skills.

Chuck Haggard
05-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Most guys I know are using some version of the four count draw stroke. Paul always does a great job of explaining what he does, and why. You might find this video valuable as an example;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZfgutNufU

When you run the draw stroke like Paul does on the video, you can pick up the front sight in your peripheral vision at the 3 position, that combined with the thumbs forward grip gets the gun onto target very quickly, with minimal time needed to refine the sight picture.

wtturn
05-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Most guys I know are using some version of the four count draw stroke. Paul always does a great job of explaining what he does, and why. You might find this video valuable as an example;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZfgutNufU

When you run the draw stroke like Paul does on the video, you can pick up the front sight in your peripheral vision at the 3 position, that combined with the thumbs forward grip gets the gun onto target very quickly, with minimal time needed to refine the sight picture.

I see literally zero persons using a four-count or so-called "press out" draw at USPSA pistol competitions.

Certainly no one who is B-class or better.

OP: Watch super squad guys like Vogel, Stoeger, Sevigny, etc. Emulate them.

Chuck Haggard
05-20-2015, 04:01 PM
I see literally zero persons using a four-count or so-called "press out" draw at USPSA pistol competitions.

Certainly no one who is B-class or better.

OP: Watch super squad guys like Vogel, Stoeger, Sevigny, etc. Emulate them.

I am well aware of that train of thought.

Note that the OP appears to still be learning some of this stuff, and is failing to pick up his sights in a timely manner. I've found that one can modify the four count draw into more of the straight to the line of sight if they so choose to do so once they have learned to pick up the front sight at speed.

I'll also note that some fairly squared away dudes who teach high speed pistol shooting also teach that four count draw stroke;
https://youtu.be/MZkDNSbLkxY?t=117

It takes awhile for a guy to get this level of kinesthetic awareness and just pick up the front sight on the rise;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45sCW1oI84

wtturn
05-20-2015, 04:52 PM
It takes awhile for a guy to get this level of kinesthetic awareness and just pick up the front sight on the rise;

Agreed. It is my contention that you might as well put in the practice toward that end from the beginning, instead of taking half-measures.

The quicker I can get the pistol up in my plane of sight, the quicker I can SEE my sights. The whole pick-up-the-front-sight-with-peripheral-vision-on-the-press-out thing doesn't work for me, and it's slower to boot. YMMV

mainiac1
05-20-2015, 09:26 PM
I use some form of sighted fire for every shot. When I first shot USPSA I used sight focus for all but the 3 yards and in shots. If you work on your draw that will build a form of index that will allow you to present the gun between your eye and the target at speed consistently. This will allow you to begin trying different visual focuses for differing shots. I would recommend getting a consistent index built before jumping into the different visual focus.
Finding a decent 9 mm for competition for $500-600 is doable. But to get the most out of the gun (replacement of sights, trigger work, etc.) and enough mags, holster, pouches, belt, you will need more like $1,000 unless you buy a used package (which I would recommend). Go over to brianenos.com/forum and look in the classifieds for a Glock, XDM, CZ, or Tanfo used competition rig that will fit the bill. Any of those guns (at least 4.5" barrel versions) will not hold you back until have reached a high skill level.
Leroy, Thank you very much for the great info and leads on where to get a used package. The rest of you guys I also really appreciate the hints and video links...this is like when I started shooting high power as a teenager...lot of stuff to learn and try to get better at. I thought I was a decent pistol shot till I shot in this match :) whole new ballgame.