PDA

View Full Version : 22 practice question

JConn
08-27-2011, 12:50 PM
I have previously read Todd's article on 22 training and decided that the cost of a 22 conversion was worth it to get the extra practice on the pressout and on pure marksmanship. I received my conversion the other day and went to the range. I proceeded to first familiarize myself with the conversion, then put 100 rounds down range on marksmanship practice and roughly 60 on the press out. I then transitioned to 9mm and the problems started. I was flinching terribly and my marksmanship and press out were noticeably worse than normal. Note: practice at rapid fire and sight tracking still went well. So I guess my question would be, before I waste anymore ammo, how do those of you who train with 22 divide you're training time in order to avoid degradation of the grip and trigger control. Next time I go I'm going to do more switching between the two, and that may be all that is required, but I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Note: weapon is a gen 3 Glock 19 ny1/- with an advantage arms conversion.

TAZ
08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I use an AA conversion kit for my G21 as well to save money and be able to get higher round counts down rage during training. The trigger on my kit is not that different from my 21 so I haven't run across trigger management issues as a result of the kit. Usually it's the loose nut behind the trigger that is causing the issues. I begin my training session with the 21 and get a few mags down range just to make sure I'm still good to go with my caliber. Won't get a chance to warm up with the 22 should I have to use the gun in defense of my family. It also validates my lesson plan for the day. Then I run my training session and end with the 45. I guess you could allow your grip to get sloppy seeing as the 22 is so light and has little to no recoil, but you should be able to compensate for that by focusing a bit more on what you are doing till it becomes second nature. Not sure why your press put is breaking down aside from you just rushing through it.