PDA

View Full Version : Using a CORE pistol without an optic?

john c
05-19-2015, 02:48 AM
I'm in the market for a new M&P Pro. I plan on using it now with iron sights, but creeping middle age means that iron sights are only going to work for the next few years. I'm thinking about getting a CORE M&P, basically for the future capability to mount an optic.

Am I loosing anything by buying and shooting a CORE pistol with the high sights not using an optic? Would I be better off just getting a standard pistol now, and trading up or having the slide milled when it's "time"?

Thanks.

JTQ
05-19-2015, 06:00 AM
I'd buy what you're going to use now. No matter how long, or short, into the future you're planning ahead, I'd expect whatever the optic technology is today to have improved by the time you get around to needing/using it.

JodyH
05-19-2015, 07:17 AM
I bought a CORE for my boy and just installed Ameriglo fiber optic standard height sights. If we mount a dot later I'll buy and install tall sights.

TDA
05-20-2015, 09:57 PM
I bought a CORE and it was probably a year and a half before I dropped the cash on an optic. It shoots fine with the irons, just a regular M&P pretty much.

Warren Wilson
05-20-2015, 10:07 PM
I just used a CORE without an optic for a three day school. I like the tall sights and it works well in all of my holsters including the Galco Combat Master I used in training. Heck, why not?

john c
05-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks, gentlemen, I appreciate the input. I think I'll go for it. Hopefully new adapter plates will come out for any new optics.

Warren, I'm especially grateful for the info that the tall sights work well in all your holsters.