PDA

View Full Version : Another Example of Why Marking Mags is a Good Idea

JFK
08-26-2011, 10:40 PM
So about a month ago I purchased a few magazines for my M&P. Numbered them as usual and took them to the range. One of the new ones would have strange FTF and would jam the round into the top of the barrel or flip it straight up and stove pipe. I thought it was suspect and so I decided to switch the spring and follower to another mag body to see if it was the body or the spring. Same result. So I took the spring out and a buddy of mine picked it up and looked at it.

"This follower looks different." He says.

Sure enough the follower was not the correct one. From the factory brand new. 9mm body, but what looks like a .40 follower. It had enough play to move front to back. I suspect it was moving enough for the round above to catch the rim of the round below causing the problems.

To Smith's credit after being on hold for 1/2 hour they sent me a new follower no questions asked.

I guess they guy putting them together ran out of 9mm followers at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday and said... This one should fit.

SecondsCount
08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
So about a month ago I purchased a few magazines for my M&P. Numbered them as usual and took them to the range. One of the new ones would have strange FTF and would jam the round into the top of the barrel or flip it straight up and stove pipe. I thought it was suspect and so I decided to switch the spring and follower to another mag body to see if it was the body or the spring. Same result. So I took the spring out and a buddy of mine picked it up and looked at it.

"This follower looks different." He says.

Sure enough the follower was not the correct one. From the factory brand new. 9mm body, but what looks like a .40 follower. It had enough play to move front to back. I suspect it was moving enough for the round above to catch the rim of the round below causing the problems.

To Smith's credit after being on hold for 1/2 hour they sent me a new follower no questions asked.

I guess they guy putting them together ran out of 9mm followers at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday and said... This one should fit.

All kinds of crazy things can happen on a factory floor. During a molding press setup from 40 to 9 followers, someone may have missed a couple followers that were left in the exit chute. A fellow worker may have found a follower that fell on floor later in the day while cleaning and tossed it back into the incorrect bin. Even worse, someone assembled a whole bunch of 9mm mags with the wrong followers in which case S&W is going to be receiving a lot of phone calls. :eek: