PDA

View Full Version : Mr_White...

YVK
05-15-2015, 07:47 AM
...just made a Master in USPSA.

I bet 100 bucks he is the only dude to get M from the appendix using daily carry gear.
I wonder how many have gotten M in Limited shooting minor.

Well done, dude, truly proud of your achievements.

LittleLebowski
05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
Agreed. Congrats!

Mitch
05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
That is awesome! Congrats.

Chuck Haggard
05-15-2015, 07:50 AM
That is bad ass

GJM
05-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Agreed. Congrats!

We were joking, only dude dumb enough to have tried. :)

I was like a kid on XMAS morning today. Woke up, checked USPSA, saw he made M and started whooping. Then waking people like YVK, Taadski and White up.

Mr_White
05-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I sure appreciate it. I believe I heard about someone making GM shooting limited minor, which is awesome even without carry gear. Not sure anyone else is crazy enough to shoot uspsa seriously this way. Frankly I have found every advancement in uspsa classification to be very difficult.

Chuck Haggard
05-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Having shot USPSA extensively using cop duty gear and a S&W 5906, I totally get the obstacles involved in such an accomplishment. I'm very impressed.

BaiHu
05-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Awesome news! Congratulations on achieving Master after all that hard work. Now back to work, huh?

SouthNarc
05-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Well done Gabe!

Jared
05-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Awesome job dude, major congrats!

KeeFus
05-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Job well done!

rwa
05-15-2015, 09:53 AM
I know a guy who made GM in Limited shooting a minor single stack out of a BladeTech carry hoster. Still not like making it concealed with appendix carry.

uechibear
05-15-2015, 10:10 AM
You're an inspiration... truly impressive!

Mr_White
05-15-2015, 11:02 AM
We were joking, only dude dumb enough to have tried. :)

I'd say that's about right!

I was like a kid on XMAS morning today.

Me too, except I was up at 0030, figured they ran the update, and went and peeked.

Now back to work, huh?

Yep, up at 0530 for dry practice...First major match of the year is coming up next weekend. Back to work is right. ;)

I know a guy who made GM in Limited shooting a minor single stack out of a BladeTech carry hoster. Still not like making it concealed with appendix carry.

I bet that's the guy I remember hearing about. Super awesome, my hat is off to him. Concealment doesn't help at all, especially losing .25 or .5 on reloads, but I think minor scoring is the worst aggravating factor. That's fantastic he made GM shooting minor. All that math adds up very cruelly. :) Was he using a 1911 in 9mm?

--------

Seriously, thanks everyone. This is real a monkey off my back and now it will be easier to concentrate on the matches themselves since I won't have nagging thoughts about my classification percentage for a while...until I get close to GM anyway.

I can't say enough good things about USPSA competition as a venue to tax shooting and gunhandling to the max. Constant pressure and having to efficiently navigate all the space and time, making small adjustments on the fly, and dragging good shooting through all of it is incredibly challenging.

Once I became more aware of the technical skill levels associated with M/GM performance as measured in USPSA, my fundamental goal has been to produce legitimate, properly equipped, M/GM-level technical performance with my carry gear from concealment. That is what I am all about, and that goal has been getting met in slow motion over time. Different venue in GSSF, but I've been matching or exceeding GMs there for a while. FAST Challenge Coin is a pretty short list with some tall names. I am positively humbled to be in the company I am, in cleaning it at Rogers. Last year at the USPSA Area 1 Championship, I beat 9 out of 14 Limited Ms, so that was a form of reaching my goal. Actually making Limited M is another step. My goal is being realized and I am stoked. And I have a long way to go yet from here.

olstyn
05-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Congrats from a lowly D-class production shooter. I'll be super stoked the day I make it to half of your skill level. :)

rsa-otc
05-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Congratulations Dude. Great achievement.

imp1295
05-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Congrats! I always look forward to your progress and truly enjoy the quick vids of your matches that you post on YouTube!

Artemas
05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Well done!

HopetonBrown
05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
This warms my Timmy/Competitor heart.

LittleLebowski
05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Extremely relevant blog post about Mr White's journey.

http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2014/03/uspsa-as-competitive-environment-for.html

AtomicToaster
05-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Congrats Mr_White! Looks like we're in the same squad at Area 1 this year; I look forward to seeing you shoot.

EricM
05-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Awesome, congratulations!

I'm just getting started with USPSA and shooting Limited Minor with a Glock, though not from concealment (yet). Just checked and made B for my initial classification. Having shot a few matches now, I can definitely see why most people prefer to shoot Major. It's also reinforced why I don't want to; I want to develop the skill and control to get A's at speed and not settle for less. Thanks for planting that idea in my head and showing where it can take you.

Byron
05-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Congratulations, Gabe! I know you've worked very hard every step of the way. I'm sure this accomplishment is very satisfying, just as the many others you've had along the way. Keep on keepin' on!

mike.burgess.353
05-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Way to go Master White

Failure2Stop
05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Awesome job dude, minor congrats!
FTFY
lol

Trooper224
05-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Outstanding, congrats to Mr_White.

bigslim
05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
BZ! Great job.

Mike

BJJ
05-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Congrats, Gabe. You are an inspiration.

If you don't mind me asking what is your ratio of live fire to dry fire and how many rounds do you shoot a year?

Talionis
05-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Major congratulations Gabe. I know what a difficult hump it is to go from A to M, and that is when shooting a production gun and gear in production. I'm pretty confident in saying you have been shooting at least at the M level for a while now, so it's good to see your classification finally catching up. We are both shooting Oregon state and A1, so I'll keep my eye out.

Matt O
05-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Impressive, sir!

Clusterfrack
05-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Congrats Gabe! It must feel good.

Chance B.
05-15-2015, 08:03 PM
That's awesome. Congratulations!

WobblyPossum
05-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Congrats! That's a hell of an achievement!

Chance
05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
That's remarkable. Congratulations!

MVS
05-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Congratulations! Not trying to be corny or gay or anything, but you are an inspiration.

MD7305
05-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Congratulations! It's very clear you've worked hard to get there. You need business cards with the title "Grand Master Junk Carrier Extroidanaire!"

Clobbersaurus
05-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Keep on kicking ass all the way to GM Mr. White!

I'm taking the practical portion of my IPSC course tomorrow and you give a huge boost to all us Timmies who want to try competition.

Mr_White
05-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Congrats Mr_White! Looks like we're in the same squad at Area 1 this year; I look forward to seeing you shoot.

Thank you, and that is awesome, will be great to meet you!

Major congratulations Gabe. I know what a difficult hump it is to go from A to M, and that is when shooting a production gun and gear in production. I'm pretty confident in saying you have been shooting at least at the M level for a while now, so it's good to see your classification finally catching up. We are both shooting Oregon state and A1, so I'll keep my eye out.

Thanks dude! Looks like we are two squads apart at Oregon State - I will be sure to look for you.

------

Big thanks to everybody - I really appreciate all the kind words. It makes me very happy that other people dig shooting their carry guns in competition too. I know I have an awful lot of fun doing that.

BN
05-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Congratulations. :)

98z28
05-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Way to go, Mr_White!

MDS
05-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Very cool, that represents a lot of hard work over a long period of time.

Kyle Reese
05-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Congrats, dude!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SecondsCount
05-16-2015, 05:51 PM
That is really cool. Congratulations!

sqeeler
05-16-2015, 09:50 PM
I made Master in limited using a G-19 9mm with my everyday carry gear several years ago. It was a pain in the BUTT, not recommended for everyone, unless your up for a real challenge.

I loved using my same setup against the limited and especially the GM open shooters at Rio Salado at Tuesday night steel and beating them, ultimate gratification.

Mr_White
05-17-2015, 12:11 AM
I made Master in limited using a G-19 9mm with my everyday carry gear several years ago. It was a pain in the BUTT, not recommended for everyone, unless your up for a real challenge.

I loved using my same setup against the limited and especially the GM open shooters at Rio Salado at Tuesday night steel and beating them, ultimate gratification.

That is completely awesome!

And I agree, pain in the butt real challenge for sure.

Little Creek
05-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Bravo, Mr. White and sqeeler.

sqeeler
05-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Thank You, and What was harder was when I made Grand Master in production then making Master in open with my rmr'd G-17, but not as fun or hard as the limited minor with the 19 and carry gear, still used carry gear in open division though.

Mr_White
05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Thank You, and What was harder was when I made Grand Master in production then making Master in open with my rmr'd G-17, but not as fun or hard as the limited minor with the 19 and carry gear, still used carry gear in open division though.

Master in Open with RMR G17 sounds pretty burly too. Very nice! What's your USPSA number?

Mr_White
05-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Congrats, Gabe. You are an inspiration.

If you don't mind me asking what is your ratio of live fire to dry fire and how many rounds do you shoot a year?

BJJ,

Thanks so much! Sorry your question got away from me for a while there.

Unfortunately I don't really keep track of those figures. Sometimes I wish I had been. I used to shoot a lot more than I do now. I probably got up to maybe 18k or so per year a while back, but now I feel like it is under 10k - no hard numbers though, sorry. I have been continuing to dry fire a lot, but even that is less. There was a time when I got in one to two hours on most days, spread across a few sessions. Now it is more like half an hour to an hour on most days, spread across two sessions.

cheshire_cat
05-25-2015, 07:23 PM
What's your USPSA number?
Cricket cricket

taadski
05-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Cricket cricket

[cough, cough] A49204 [cough, cough]

:)

LSP552
05-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Outstanding!

cheshire_cat
05-26-2015, 08:55 AM

:cool: cool!

nwhpfan
05-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Looks like you guys are in the same neck of the woods so you probably know each other.....

taadski
05-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Looks like you guys are in the same neck of the woods so you probably know each other.....

Nah. Don't know em. Just some inter-web sleuthing.

t

SLG
05-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Just saw this, congratulations on a tough accomplishment!

rwa
05-27-2015, 09:26 AM
I bet that's the guy I remember hearing about. Super awesome, my hat is off to him. Concealment doesn't help at all, especially losing .25 or .5 on reloads, but I think minor scoring is the worst aggravating factor. That's fantastic he made GM shooting minor. All that math adds up very cruelly. Was he using a 1911 in 9mm? Nah, the shooter is no one of interest. It was just me back in my prime messing around with a Les Baer PII .45 shooting minor during a little bout of arthritis. I slopped into a couple of 98% and 100% clasifiers and that pushed me over the top. It was back in 2004.

Tooln
05-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Congrats Mr_White

9mmBrad
05-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Awesome job Mr_White! Congrats!

MVS
05-29-2015, 04:47 PM
BJJ,

Thanks so much! Sorry your question got away from me for a while there.

Unfortunately I don't really keep track of those figures. Sometimes I wish I had been. I used to shoot a lot more than I do now. I probably got up to maybe 18k or so per year a while back, but now I feel like it is under 10k - no hard numbers though, sorry. I have been continuing to dry fire a lot, but even that is less. There was a time when I got in one to two hours on most days, spread across a few sessions. Now it is more like half an hour to an hour on most days, spread across two sessions.

That is really impressive to me that you have been able to accomplish what you have with what I would consider a moderate round count. To what do you attribute your success? Dry fire and a good plan? Those are both things that in the past though I may have shot a lot of rounds, I didn't have.

sqeeler
05-29-2015, 11:00 PM
I did not post my USPSA number because as MOST people on here, don't use my real name for certain reasons. I have talked to some in PM's if they have questions and don't really appreciate my private info being posted without my permission as I have no idea who is lurking here. If we are going to post people's private data for all to see then why not require actual names for user names???

sqeeler
05-30-2015, 12:03 AM
I Do have a GM rating in USPSA in production and at Rio Salado where I competed every Tuesday for several years is where I honed alot of my competition skills and participated in a few of the Area 2 matches in different divisions, where one year took 2nd overall in Limited 10 as well as making top 10 in Production overall a little later.

So there is no misunderstanding by some here I automatically make Master in all other divisions once completing the required 4 classifier minimum. I have been unable to make ANY classifiers in Quite some time due to some severe complications of health in the last few years.

The Open master ranking was at Rio Salado where you get classified separately on a club level with the likes of Robbie Leatham and some other great shooters who hold world and national title's. I wanted to get this clear as maybe it didn't get specified in my previous post.

taadski
05-30-2015, 11:07 AM
I did not post my USPSA number because as MOST people on here, don't use my real name for certain reasons. I have talked to some in PM's if they have questions and don't really appreciate my private info being posted without my permission as I have no idea who is lurking here. If we are going to post people's private data for all to see then why not require actual names for user names???

I'll admit that I took the liberty of posting your public USPSA number here on Pistol Forum. You've chosen to use that number as a public reference on several other different open source forums (Enos, 1911 forum, M4Carbine.net, etc…) with the same screen name as you use here. So for the record, *I* didn't make anything public that wasn't already.

I Do have a GM rating in USPSA in production and at Rio Salado where I competed every Tuesday for several years is where I honed alot of my competition skills and participated in a few of the Area 2 matches in different divisions, where one year took 2nd overall in Limited 10 as well as making top 10 in Production overall a little later.

So there is no misunderstanding by some here I automatically make Master in all other divisions once completing the required 4 classifier minimum. I have been unable to make ANY classifiers in Quite some time due to some severe complications of health in the last few years.

The Open master ranking was at Rio Salado where you get classified separately on a club level with the likes of Robbie Leatham and some other great shooters who hold world and national title's. I wanted to get this clear as maybe it didn't get specified in my previous post.

I respect the hell out of the dedication, effort and skill set that goes into making GM in any division. Kudos to you. I think the part that some of us took note of were your comments below (regarding making master in limited and making master in Open) when your actual percentages in those two divisions are both significantly below the master threshold. I'll be frank, it seemed a touch disingenuous, especially within the context of Gabe doing it the way he did. Petty of me to bring it up? Perhaps…

I find the 'publicly tooting one's own horn thing' a bit irritating, especially when the info is put forth as something it's not, that's all.

Gabe, sorry for cluttering up your thread.

t

sqeeler
05-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Which is exactly why I wanted it VERY clear about my ranking's as such. If the moderator's have a problem with how it was worded or interpreted then please have them contact me via PM. I respect what Gabe has done as well as one who also is a GM in ANY division should.

As far as my number being posted on some of the other forum's yes they have been put there by ME not someone trolling around looking for any little tid bit of info on someone, you must have alot of time on your hands.

Moderators I apologize for the rant and AGAIN good job Gabe and keep up the GREAT work, would love to see you as GM in every division you put your mind to.

GJM
05-30-2015, 11:57 AM

When I first read your above two statements, I had mixed feelings. On one hand, I thought it was a bit of raining on Gabe's parade, by suggesting you already made Master, shooting limited minor with arguably a more difficult to shoot pistol. Leaving aside the parade business, though, I was genuinely impressed that you made Master with a G19, and especially that you made Master with a G17 and a RMR, considering we just have had a lengthy thread on the Glock and the RDS and KKM.

Which is exactly why I wanted it VERY clear about my ranking's as such. If the moderator's have a problem with how it was worded or interpreted then please have them contact me via PM. I respect what Gabe has done as well as one who also is a GM in ANY division should.

As far as my number being posted on some of the other forum's yes they have been put there by ME not someone trolling around looking for any little tid bit of info on someone, you must have alot of time on your hands.

Moderators I apologize for the rant and AGAIN good job Gabe and keep up the GREAT work, would love to see you as GM in every division you put your mind to.

I also think it was pretty natural, to want to know who did those two amazing accomplishments -- M in Limited with the G19 from concealment, and M with the G17 and RMR in Open. The way USPSA works, the data base system is open, meaning every member's classifier records are open to review. You can also imagine it was puzzling, when this is what your USPSA classifier record said:

OPEN Class: M Pct: 67.53 High Pct: 69.79
LIMITED Class: M Pct: 77.96 High Pct: 77.96

Since neither were M by virtue of the shooting, and only M because USPSA rules award you a M because of your GM in Production, it seemed you were either remembering wrong or something else, since your original statements seemed to indicate you shot your way into M?

sqeeler
05-30-2015, 01:01 PM
When I first read your above two statements, I had mixed feelings. On one hand, I thought it was a bit of raining on Gabe's parade, by suggesting you already made Master, shooting limited minor with arguably a more difficult to shoot pistol. Leaving aside the parade business, though, I was genuinely impressed that you made Master with a G19, and especially that you made Master with a G17 and a RMR, considering we just have had a lengthy thread on the Glock and the RDS and KKM.

I also think it was pretty natural, to want to know who did those two amazing accomplishments -- M in Limited with the G19 from concealment, and M with the G17 and RMR in Open. The way USPSA works, the data base system is open, meaning every member's classifier records are open to review. You can also imagine it was puzzling, when this is what your USPSA classifier record said:

OPEN Class: M Pct: 67.53 High Pct: 69.79
LIMITED Class: M Pct: 77.96 High Pct: 77.96

Since neither were M by virtue of the shooting, and only M because USPSA rules award you a M because of your GM in Production, it seemed you were either remembering wrong or something else, since your original statements seemed to indicate you shot your way into M?

I think I already cleared this up in post #62 if anyone wants to bother to read it. I'm pretty sure that says it all, Also if everyone is doggin on ME and feels appropriate to do so then why not share your accomplishments and ranking percentages and numbers to dick measure to.

sqeeler
05-30-2015, 01:08 PM
So as for Gabe's post not to get locked over childish stupidity, Sorry and have a nice nice day good luck with the USPSA Gabe as for some others you might want to spend more time pullin the trigger and less pullin on the keyboard. Later

Mr_White
05-30-2015, 01:45 PM
I'm in class all day today but I'll get back and answer the questions that have been asked of me as soon as I can. Just wanted to say again that I really appreciate everyone's encouragement and congratulations! And my butt does not hurt from any of the goings on in this thread and I hope no one else's hurts either.

Mr_White
06-02-2015, 01:35 PM
That is really impressive to me that you have been able to accomplish what you have with what I would consider a moderate round count. To what do you attribute your success? Dry fire and a good plan? Those are both things that in the past though I may have shot a lot of rounds, I didn't have.

I attribute any accomplishment to throwing a lot of work at it, which really is underpinned by motivation. Motivation enables the actual work needed to advance. I was very fortunate to get out-worked in another endeavor when I was about fourteen years old, and that lesson has stuck with me big time ever since.

So yes, a lot of dry fire. But that came several years into the larger volume live fire shooting I was doing. When I started dry firing a lot too, that's when I think my improvement accelerated more. That adoption of dry fire was also when I was becoming aware of higher levels of technical skill so I drove hard toward those instead of attacking some intermediary level of performance.

In dry fire, I have always leaned hard on the very core skills of trigger control, draws, reloads, and transitions, freestyle, SHO, and WHO. I now try to incorporate more random practice (as opposed to block), and include more movement and complexity and set up what could be considered fragments of USPSA stages with a couple of positions and mixed target arrays. And live fire whenever I can.

My progression started with a specific focus on defensive training - awareness, decisionmaking, gunhandling, marksmanship, tactics, etc. Then later it shifted to a focus on improving technical skills. I joined the internet as an active participant after that point.

Maybe as much as the motivation to work, I would also attribute any accomplishment to throwing off the yoke of expectation, and abhorring thoughts of it being impossible to duplicate high level competitive performance with carry gear from concealment. For me, it's a starting point to ignore any notion of impossibility.

nycnoob
06-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Can you give some examples of how you incorporate random practice into what would normally be a block drill (reloads, draws etc seem amenable to more block practice than random practice)

Mr_White
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM
It's really not terribly innovative, I just try to not practice the exact same thing over and over so much anymore. I set up some dry fire targets of different scaled sizes, some open, some with hardcover, some with no-shoots in different orientations. I put a couple behind a barrier, I put a couple right in front of me. I start with my hands in one position or another, draw and engage the targets. Then I do it again, from a different start position, and engage the targets in a different order. I put a reload in there somewhere. Or movement, varying the direction. Or a tough lean. Or do it strong or support hand only. Basically just take a modest target array or two and try to mix up what I do with it, instead of practicing the same pattern of draw, engage, reload, etc., a bunch of times in a row.

nycnoob
06-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks thats very helpful. It is the kind of things I thought of but assumed you had some "secret sauce", nope on secret sauce, you just work at it.

MVS
06-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I attribute any accomplishment to throwing a lot of work at it, which really is underpinned by motivation. Motivation enables the actual work needed to advance. I was very fortunate to get out-worked in another endeavor when I was about fourteen years old, and that lesson has stuck with me big time ever since.

So yes, a lot of dry fire. But that came several years into the larger volume live fire shooting I was doing. When I started dry firing a lot too, that's when I think my improvement accelerated more. That adoption of dry fire was also when I was becoming aware of higher levels of technical skill so I drove hard toward those instead of attacking some intermediary level of performance.

In dry fire, I have always leaned hard on the very core skills of trigger control, draws, reloads, and transitions, freestyle, SHO, and WHO. I now try to incorporate more random practice (as opposed to block), and include more movement and complexity and set up what could be considered fragments of USPSA stages with a couple of positions and mixed target arrays. And live fire whenever I can.

My progression started with a specific focus on defensive training - awareness, decisionmaking, gunhandling, marksmanship, tactics, etc. Then later it shifted to a focus on improving technical skills. I joined the internet as an active participant after that point.

Maybe as much as the motivation to work, I would also attribute any accomplishment to throwing off the yoke of expectation, and abhorring thoughts of it being impossible to duplicate high level competitive performance with carry gear from concealment. For me, it's a starting point to ignore any notion of impossibility.

Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate it.