PDA

View Full Version : downloadable version of the DotW

s0nspark
05-11-2015, 07:56 AM
I have a small suggestion regarding the Drill of the Week posts.

I end up copying and pasting and reformatting the drills each time they are posted so that I have an offline copy and perhaps others do this too. It would be really nice if the drills were posted with a downloadable copy of the instructions... and maybe even have a sticky thread with a zip file that contains all of the posted drills to date for those new to the process who want to catch up.

Just a thought :)

NerdAlert
05-11-2015, 07:59 AM
That would be really helpful. I'm not a fan of using my phone at the range.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

JackRock
05-11-2015, 09:27 PM
This is a good idea. I'd like to hear more thoughts from people about what exactly they are looking for and how they'd use it, before jumping to a solution.

I would think a printer-friendly version is what we're seeking. For example, in my case, I did the 30-round dot torture drill the other day, and a simple list of something like this would work:
"#3 and #4: Draw and fire 1 round to 3 and 4 (3 times)" - simple text to explain what the action is. The other alternative would be to print out a 2nd copy of the dot page to reference (unnecessary use of printer ink/toner), or to pull the target back to the line each time (unnecessary time use).

LOKNLOD
05-11-2015, 09:37 PM
.pdfs set up for single page printing with room to 3-hole punch would be good for putting into a drills binder.

You could also thumb through them easily on an iPad or something.

orionz06
05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
.pdfs set up for single page printing with room to 3-hole punch would be good for putting into a drills binder.

This.

s0nspark
05-11-2015, 10:05 PM

That is what I had in mind. It would also be nice if a template was used for consistency.
Maybe even something with a larger font size for the actual drill procedures for easy reading at a glance?

If a standard format is decided upon I would be happy to compile all of the old drills for an initial omnibus zip file.

s0nspark
05-12-2015, 05:44 AM
As to format, Word or rich text might be preferable to PDF to allow people to tweak the download to suit their usage (this in place of the 'larger font' suggestion I made...)

bigslim
05-13-2015, 03:47 AM
This would be a huge time saver for me also. I copy and past each drill into Notes and then print it out to put in my binder. I was trying to figure out how to make it an iBook with a table of contents so I could quickly access the drills without having to scroll through page after page of drills.

Mike