PDA

View Full Version : CED 7000 Shot Timer

BCGlocker
05-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Looking for a compact shot timer for training sessions. Please tell me about CED 7000 Shot Timer.

Jared
05-10-2015, 05:19 PM
I have one. I've never really had any problems with it, but I eventually bought a Pocket Pro II, which I greatly prefer.

The Pocket Pro II has a wider range of volume adjustment, which my dog REALLY appreciates. It also takes 9V batteries, so I keep them in my range bag. With the 7000, I had to make sure I had adequate charge on it before heading out. The Pocket Pro II's PAR time will go down to 0.4 Sec, which is very helpful with some dry fire drills, lowest you can go on the CED 7000 is 0.6 Sec.

Some people dislike the "tone" the CED makes, but it never really bothered me.

All that said, I do prefer the Pocket Pro II, but if I was forced to use the CED for the rest of my life exclusively, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

LittleLebowski
05-10-2015, 05:22 PM
The way I was told, the CED is more compact and far less reliable than the Pocket Pro II. However, the cool kids are using this (http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx-shot-timer) nowadays.

BCGlocker
05-10-2015, 05:24 PM
I have one. I've never really had any problems with it, but I eventually bought a Pocket Pro II, which I greatly prefer.

The Pocket Pro II has a wider range of volume adjustment, which my dog REALLY appreciates. It also takes 9V batteries, so I keep them in my range bag. With the 7000, I had to make sure I had adequate charge on it before heading out. The Pocket Pro II's PAR time will go down to 0.4 Sec, which is very helpful with some dry fire drills, lowest you can go on the CED 7000 is 0.6 Sec.

Some people dislike the "tone" the CED makes, but it never really bothered me.

All that said, I do prefer the Pocket Pro II, but if I was forced to use the CED for the rest of my life exclusively, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

It looks CED is much smaller and with larger digital display where Pocket Pro II. Is this true?

Haraise
05-10-2015, 05:25 PM
The way I was told, the CED is more compact and far less reliable than the Pocket Pro II. However, the cool kids are using this (http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx-shot-timer) nowadays.

I really like the features there, but don't want to wear a watch. Is there anything that beats it in a box format?

Jared
05-10-2015, 05:28 PM
The CED is definitely smaller, which isn't a big deal to me, your mileage certainly may vary. I dunno if either is more durable. No problems either way for me, but I haven't abused either one.

The numbers are larger and easier to read on the pocket pro ii.

I did forget to mention one sweet part of the CED, the multi PAR function. It's good for making yourself draw fast, and "shoot" with discipline in dry fire.

Wheeler
05-10-2015, 06:02 PM
I have a CED 7000. It works well for me, fits in my shirt pocket and I like how easy it is to review all the shots in a string. As far as recharging goes, the battery seems to last for quite some time.

I don't have any experience with the Pocket Pro so I can't make a comparison.

taadski
05-10-2015, 10:21 PM
I've broken 2 CED 7000s. The buttons stopped working on both. First the reset and start buttons on the top of the unit, then the same buttons on the front side of the unit. Same thing in the same sequence with both of them. I was never particularly abusive to either of them, FWIW. I can't speak to their warrantee because I never sent them back. Other than that I really like the handy size and functionality. I have had the battery die in the middle of drill sessions on a few occasions, but I bought a vehicle adapter to remedy that issue. I'd prefer they had a replaceable battery.

I'm about 6 months into a Pocket Pro. So far so good with no drama. It's bigger and a bit less handy but it has worked as advertised so far.

t

HopetonBrown
05-10-2015, 11:29 PM
I really like the features there, but don't want to wear a watch. Is there anything that beats it in a box format?

It's the smallest timer out there, and you don't have to wear it like a watch.

Haraise
05-10-2015, 11:45 PM
It's the smallest timer out there, and you don't have to wear it like a watch.

Smallness isn't really a big point for me, but how would people use it as not a watch? A lot of it's functionality comes from the shock sensor in it.

HopetonBrown
05-11-2015, 02:39 AM
It picks up shots with a microphone too, Haraise. But I just use a Pocket Pro II like everyone else.

Wheeler
05-11-2015, 05:46 AM
It picks up shots with a microphone too, Haraise. But I just use a Pocket Pro II like everyone else.

Well, not everyone else...
;)

GJM
05-11-2015, 07:23 AM
I have a broken CED 7000 in my dead timer collection. PACT Club timer, too.

I have three Pocket Pro II's, so I can have one working, one spare and one back for repair. You know, just like the CZ Shadow.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2015, 11:09 AM

That's what I use and I'm very happy with it. The downside is it won't keep strings without the app so you need to write each string down if you want to save it.

Peally
05-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Smallness isn't really a big point for me, but how would people use it as not a watch? A lot of it's functionality comes from the shock sensor in it.

Like someone said, with the microphone it works just like a normal timer. Personally I stick it in my belt where I'd stick any other timer (just push the wristband into the belt, simple).

I think of it like a pocket pro, just smaller with more functionality and the bonus of the accelerometer if I want it. Only thing that it's a little goofy for is timing other people, but I time myself a billion times more than RO.

Drang
05-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Most of my shooting these days is at indoor ranges, how well do either of these work for that? (I.e., will the shots of the guy two lanes over register?)

HopetonBrown
05-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Most of my shooting these days is at indoor ranges, how well do either of these work for that? (I.e., will the shots of the guy two lanes over register?)

The Shotmaxx has an accelerometer that can tell when your arm is moving under recoil.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2015, 07:10 PM

I've shot nearly shoulder to shoulder and no issues. The accelerometer in the Shotmaxx works as intended.

BCGlocker
05-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Lots of good feedbacks. I am concern about the durability of CED 7000. I may have to return it for a Pact III timer.

2alpha-down0
05-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I'm happy with my CED 7000. I like the display and controls much better than the PACT or Pocket Pro.

The hinged belt clip is garbage. I imagine it grips the timer better if you've got one of the rubber cases, but without it, it's a matter of minutes before I hear the timer go skittering across the gravel.

Peally
05-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Lots of good feedbacks. I am concern about the durability of CED 7000. I may have to return it for a Pact III timer.

If it makes you feel better (it won't) I've had or read about reliability issues with every single timer available, and it makes for a great time trying to play the purchase lottery. I consider them all fragile objects to be babied ;)

raks
05-14-2015, 02:06 PM
The hinged belt clip is garbage. I imagine it grips the timer better if you've got one of the rubber cases,
The clip does work well if you have the rubber case. My 7000 has been in service for many years (since they were released). It is starting to get a bit flaky - I took the screws out of the back so I could pop it apart and 'reset' the system by disconnecting the back/battery. That seems to work well. I may replace the battery and see if that helps with the flakyness.

For personal use I really like the 7000, but I usually have a bay to myself. If I was in a noisier situation I'd definitely go for the watch one these days. For match use I definitely prefer the RUReady yellow boxes.

Drang
05-14-2015, 04:31 PM

The Shotmaxx has an accelerometer that can tell when your arm is moving under recoil.

I've shot nearly shoulder to shoulder and no issues. The accelerometer in the Shotmaxx works as intended.
I know about the Shotmaxx, what about the CED or Pocket Pro?

LittleLebowski
05-14-2015, 04:56 PM
I know about the Shotmaxx, what about the CED or Pocket Pro?

The Pocket Pro II (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KMOSAI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008KMOSAI&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) (what I use) and the CED do not have accelerometers, relying only upon sound detection to function. The Pocket Pro II can be adjusted to work well at an indoor range.

Drang
05-14-2015, 05:04 PM
The Pocket Pro II (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KMOSAI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008KMOSAI&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) (what I use) and the CED do not have accelerometers, relying only upon sound detection to function. The Pocket Pro II can be adjusted to work well at an indoor range.
Thanks
Perhaps I should have added that I have my FLGS & Indoor Range is less than a mile from my house, making a trip to the closest outdoor range less than ideal.

BCGlocker
05-14-2015, 05:33 PM
The clip does work well if you have the rubber case. My 7000 has been in service for many years (since they were released). It is starting to get a bit flaky - I took the screws out of the back so I could pop it apart and 'reset' the system by disconnecting the back/battery. That seems to work well. I may replace the battery and see if that helps with the flakyness.

For personal use I really like the 7000, but I usually have a bay to myself. If I was in a noisier situation I'd definitely go for the watch one these days. For match use I definitely prefer the RUReady yellow boxes.

Do I have to buy the rubber case or it comes with the package?

Wheeler
05-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Do I have to buy the rubber case or it comes with the package?

The case is extra.

LittleLebowski
05-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks
Perhaps I should have added that I have my FLGS & Indoor Range is less than a mile from my house, making a trip to the closest outdoor range less than ideal.

I'd get the ShotMaxx if I were you.