PDA

View Full Version : Good starter pistol for 2 gun/practical matches

mainiac1
05-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Hey Everyone, 1st time here. Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but its a start. I'm going to start shooting 2 gun matches in the near future. I have an AR15 for the rifle part and am looking for a decent 9mm. A little about myself and my experience. I haven't shot any practical/tactical competitions as of yet, however., I have been shooting since I was a teenager both rifle and pistol. I can shoot both pretty decent, but love shooting pistol the most. I competed as a member of the AF Highpower rifle team back in the 80's. I thought I was going to use my CZ75 for this stuff, but I recently bought an SARK2 .45 and shoot better with it than the CZ! There are no extra points for larger caliber in these shoots, and the cost of .45 ammo is making me look for another 9mm. I really like the feel and accuracy of the K2 (only downside is trigger needs a little work and $$ of .45's) and they make one in 9mm, but it has a shorter barrel, and the grips aren't as beefy as the 45. Has anyone shot one of these SARK2P's and if so, how do you like it? These are some other pistols I'm considering: Berretta M9A1 Berretta 92FS (shot a berretta 92...long time ago and really liked the feel and especially the accuracy), Baby Eagle-II, AR-24 Tactical, Taurus OSS, CZ-75SP01, EA Witness Elite Match. My price range is nmt $600, hopefully $500 or less. I welcome your suggestions. I'm headed to the range to shoot a buddy's cz75-SP01 today. I would really like to shoot the pistol before I buy it, but chances are that aint gonna happen, so relying on feedback from other gun owners. Looking for something: Accurate, comes back on target good, and trigger that's decent out of the box, reliable, parts not hard to get. Thank you in advance for your help

45dotACP
05-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Well...have you tried CGW for your CZ75. Might help you squeeze out some extra performance...

NerdAlert
05-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Looking for something: Accurate, comes back on target good, and trigger that's decent out of the box, reliable, parts not hard to get. Thank you in advance for your help

Based on the rest of your post it looks like you want an alloy or steel framed da/sa 9mm. The best bet for those conditions will be a beretta 92 of some type, cz75 of some type, or a used sig 226 of some type might be an option. Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

mainiac1
05-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Well...have you tried CGW for your CZ75. Might help you squeeze out some extra performance...

I gave my CZ75 to my Son, so gotta find something else. A buddy of mine also suggested CGW.

Kyle Reese
05-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I gave my CZ75 to my Son, so gotta find something else. A buddy of mine also suggested CGW.

You definitely can't go wrong there. David at CGW does top shelf work.

mainiac1
05-11-2015, 01:59 PM
What about a Glock-22? local tactical gun shop said they are good tactical guns

Kyle Reese
05-11-2015, 05:49 PM
What about a Glock-22? local tactical gun shop said they are good tactical guns

Get a 17 in lieu of the 22.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRM83
05-11-2015, 05:53 PM
The SP-01 is a good gun, but right at the top of your price range. I would look VERY hard at the P-09. I had the opportunity to shoot one and expected it to be another meh polymer pistol. The ergos are top notch, the gun is extremely accurate, and the trigger was good enough. I couldn't run it as fast as my Mink SP-01 (difference in splits was about .08), but the price is well under your limit and they are a LOT of gun for the money.

ReverendMeat
05-11-2015, 07:53 PM
I'd do a 75B with a decent pair of sights and VZ grips (the stock ones are pretty slippery) to start, though a G17 has a lot going for it if you don't have an aversion to Glocks.

mainiac1
05-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the tip on the P-09...wrie-ups on it look good and sounds like its got a nice trigger outta the box.

mainiac1
05-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Whats what on the G17 vs the G22?

Jesting Devil
05-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the tip on the P-09...wrie-ups on it look good and sounds like its got a nice trigger outta the box.

The trigger is Ok out of the box, but with a few parts from cajun gun works, it becomes excellent!

Whats what on the G17 vs the G22?

Just 9mm vs 40 cal. From a gaming standpoint, unless your shooting limited or another division that requires major power factor (I.e. .40 cal or larger) theres no reason for it over 9mm and its both more punishing to shoot (on you and the gun) and more expensive. "Tactically" speaking, I think most agree that modern loadings negate any advantage of the harder to shoot .40 especially factoring in the added capacity of a 9mm.

I love my glock 34 but a tricked out CZ is amazingly easy to shoot well.