PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Drills

ChuckSS
02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Background: I've owned a pistol for 2 years and have had no professional training with it. I go to the range about once a month, I intent to increase this frequency. I'd say my proficiency is very novice or basic.

Goal: Being able to CCW my handgun and be an asset to society and not a liability.

I'm extremely guilty of going to the range with no goal or game plan in mind. I'd like to get out of this bad habit and put some of the things I've learned from reading pistol-training.com to use (performance tracking etc.).

I've read through the drills section on pistol-training.com, I just get overwhelmed by all of the different drills and do not know what to start with. I do dry fire press outs at my house to get better proficiency with my draw, but that's about it.

I'm just looking for a place to start.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

ChuckSS

ToddG
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Background: I've owned a pistol for 2 years and have had no professional training with it.

Then getting formal instruction is where you need to start. Find a certified NRA instructor. Or get recommendations from more accomplished shooters as to who the decent local instructors are.

All the self-practice in the world can't help if you develop bad habits.

Dropkick
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Todd's right. Being able to get some personal instruction is the best foundation to getting started. If you want to get good, it's going to be a real time and money commitment.

After that...

Here's a write-up about a "How to Practice" session I got to do with Todd.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?148-AAR-How-To-Practice-Dec.-19-2010

I dry-fire regular basis now. Lots of wall drills. From time to time, malfunction drills.

I'd suggest setting a more definable short term goals. Being "an asset to society" is a very subjective and long term goal. Not to mention it's not tied to your marksmanship at all. (ie: There are a number of people who are assets to society, but who have never picked up a gun a day in their lives.)