PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Rifles on Motorcycles

Cookie Monster
05-08-2015, 06:14 PM
I was in downtown Pasadena a few months ago and saw three different motorcycle cops with this in about 2 hours. Downtown Pasadena is not a play to start trouble in.

Hambo
05-08-2015, 07:02 PM
It just doesn't look as cool as a knucklehead with a Thompson in a leather scabbard on the fork.

Dagga Boy
05-08-2015, 07:16 PM
My old guys have been running long guns on the bikes for years. Currently Colt Commnado's. The motors are often able to get on scene fast in critical events, so it is a good capability.

TGS
05-08-2015, 07:43 PM
FWIW there's a California cop on HKPRO who has a 10.4" HK416 on his bike, too.

I'm guessing the whole North Hollywood shoot-out had a more profound effect out west than on East coast LE. Bikes aren't very common here to start with, and at least in NJ rifle caliber carbines aren't as prevalent as they should be. As a Hamilton PD officer explained to me, it's a cost thing: an officer has to qualify 4x as often with a rifle caliber carbine compared to a pistol-caliber carbine.

JDM
05-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Where is the photo of the female Motor Officer with the HK PDW?

JV_
05-08-2015, 07:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/rionhosaki/Untitled.jpg

GJM
05-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Wonder if her optic is turned on?

I took a photo in Marana, AZ a year or two back, of a police motorcycle with an AR in a rack, parked outside Starbucks.

S Jenks
05-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Ive been thinking of writing up a proposal for a long gun for my dept's lone bike (we're a very small dept), something small enough to fit in a lockable saddlebag. An MPX is on my radar as the controls are similar enough to our AR15 patrol rifles.

GJM
05-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Ive been thinking of writing up a proposal for a long gun for my dept's lone bike (we're a very small dept), something small enough to fit in a lockable saddlebag. An MPX is on my radar as the controls are similar enough to our AR15 patrol rifles.

By chance, I handled one today. Didn't shoot it, but it felt high quality and had a decent trigger. They had an Evo too, and it seemed junky by comparison.

S Jenks
05-08-2015, 08:58 PM
By chance, I handled one today. Didn't shoot it, but it felt high quality and had a decent trigger. They had an Evo too, and it seemed junky by comparison.

I live up the street from the Sig Academy, I need to try one out. I saw one video on youtube where the receiver pins were walking out, causing it to shoot bursts, but that should be an easy enough fix if it's a manufacturing issue.

ST911
05-08-2015, 10:07 PM

BCM ~11.5", police config Harley locking saddle bags. Not optimal, but worked well. Padding and go-bag removed for illustration.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/BCM%20BCM4%20SBR/BCMSBR34.jpg

Totem Polar
05-08-2015, 10:30 PM
It just doesn't look as cool as a knucklehead with a Thompson in a leather scabbard on the fork.

Yeah it does!

Don't get me wrong: I'd love the old .45 and Harley, but, rrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

JDM
05-08-2015, 10:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/rionhosaki/Untitled.jpg

Thanks, JV!

Malamute
05-08-2015, 11:08 PM

The Law Tactical sidefolder adapter for AR stocks makes them pretty compact.

orionz06
05-08-2015, 11:10 PM
http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/1224x1632/80-img_3714_8a0546a2c1c6dbbaca6fc8f568c639a7e6bac27f. jpg

http://www.enforcementmotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/gun-mount.jpg

Malamute
05-08-2015, 11:18 PM

That would be hard to beat, but I used to carry my 1886 Winchester on my knucklehead.

ReverendMeat
05-09-2015, 12:40 AM

Well it does cost about half as much, and will likely be more reliable.

Doug
05-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Some of the mounts shown holding the rifle looks like the optics could be removed or the bore obstructed if left unattended. Not sure how much vandalism/theft happens on marked units but have seen one LAPD unmarked car with a thick chain rigged inside the trunk to prevent theft from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambo
05-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Some of the mounts shown holding the rifle looks like the optics could be removed or the bore obstructed if left unattended. Not sure how much vandalism/theft happens on marked units but have seen one LAPD unmarked car with a thick chain rigged inside the trunk to prevent theft from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if no one touches the carbine, I'd prefer something that fully encased it to prevent road dirt/junk from getting where it shouldn't. More like an ATV rifle hardcase built to LE standards for toughness and accessibility.

Chance
05-09-2015, 03:08 PM
The last time I was out at CSAT, one of Paul's assistant instructors brought in an AR designed for motorcycle cops. It had a QD barrel and gas tube, a Law Tactical folder, and a SIG brace (the guy wanted to sell it to civilians, too). It could bundle into a package that was maybe 12" long, and could fit in a saddle bag. Neat setup. My understanding is that they were going to sell it in the CSAT pro shop, but I'm not seeing it there now.

Dagga Boy
05-09-2015, 03:22 PM
The last time I was out at CSAT, one of Paul's assistant instructors brought in an AR designed for motorcycle cops. It had a QD barrel and gas tube, a Law Tactical folder, and a SIG brace (the guy wanted to sell it to civilians, too). It could bundle into a package that was maybe 12" long, and could fit in a saddle bag. Neat setup. My understanding is that they were going to sell it in the CSAT pro shop, but I'm not seeing it there now.

That sounds like a good reliable LE platform......

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
05-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Chance it sounds like you met Dave as well as getting to coon finger his AR, saw that item last Nov.

SLG
05-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Why is there a pic rail on that dudes stock?

orionz06
05-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Why is there a pic rail on that dudes stock?

Pretty sure it's made by CAA. Not sure anything more needs said.

Buckshot
06-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Victory LE bikes are available with a rack inside the saddle bag that will accommodate up to a 14.5" barrel M4 style.

are3k
07-17-2015, 09:14 AM
I ride a Road King and with our right bags contain ticket writers, printers, paperwork, clip boards etc. The right bags are full with rain gear. I couldn't imagine fitting a carbine in there and still have what I need to function everyday.