PDA

View Full Version : Good article by Dr. David Klinger on police shooting and aftermaths.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-08-2015, 01:00 PM
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/what-i-learned-after-i-killed-a-criminal-117751_Page3.html#.VUz4a5P3Rqw

Klinger's book is a good read. He's been on quite a few programs trying to be rational about recent incidents. I've seen him at conventions - good speaker.

As a civilian - there isn't a good literature on shooting aftermaths for the CCW type. Nor can I find systematic research on such. There is quite a bit of police effects (I did a study on PTSD and therapy with a Trinity colleague, Dave Armstrong and SAPD psychologists) - so I think the informed civilian should read some of the police aftermath literature as it is information on the effects of a shooting - esp. psychologically.

DEADLY FORCE ENCOUNTERS
Alexis Artwohl, Ph.D., and Loren W. Christensen

That's a good one for civilian FOGs and beefalos to read.

voodoo_man
05-08-2015, 05:35 PM
He said he was a LEO working for the LAPD, as such I figure he has had his share of experiences.

I read the book you posted, most information is true, some (like extreme depression and other extreme PTS/D symptoms) I disagree with being so widespread.

I will say, from personal experience, we normally do everything in our power to not shoot someone. Nearly every officer I work with, including those that have pulled the trigger on occasion(s) have been in situations where they had their finger on the trigger and waited until the last possible moment, sometimes firing, sometimes not.

The one thing that threw me off, even though it may statistics, where I work, race does not matter. It does not matter what the gender, race, creed or belief of a suspect are, that person is going to be shot, if they need to be, based on their actions.

Education and educating the general public are a huge step towards quelling this whole thing. But the general public needs to want to be educated.