PDA

View Full Version : Week 111: Senior Airman Andy Brown Challenge

Mr_White
05-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Week 111: Senior Airman Andy Brown Challenge

Results may be posted until June 8th, 2015.

Designed by: Gabe White, based on Senior Airman Andy Brown's outstanding resolution of the 1994 active shooter event at Fairchild Air Force Base, where he successfully neutralized a rifle-armed assailant at 70 yards with four shots from his Beretta M9 pistol.
Range: 25 yards
Target: Tennis ball, or other ~2.6" circle
Rounds Fired: 1 minimum, no maximum
Procedure: Start with pistol loaded and holstered, facing downrange at the 25 yard line. Keep pistol holstered and run from the 25 to the 0 yard line, then back to the 25 yard line. Face downrange and upon the start signal, draw and engage the target. You have completed the challenge when you hit the target one time.

Variations:

Concealment is optional.

Positional shooting (kneeling, prone, etc.) is optional.

A tennis ball will be useful as a reactive target (you will easily know when you have hit it) and at 25 yards is the approximate equivalent of a ~7.3" circle at the 70 yard engagement distance of the actual event. Either put the tennis ball on a safe surface to shoot at, or hang it from a cord. Alternatively, make a ~2.6" circle on a piece of paper and use that, or use some other equivalently-sized target.

Shoot until you hit the the target. Of course we want to hit on the first shot, but the point is to accomplish the fundamental task of hitting the target, whatever that takes.

In doing whatever it takes to hit the target, you have two options in this challenge: shoot from the 25 yard line until you hit, or, after unsuccessfully trying to hit the target at 25 yards for some number of shots (your choice of how many, but you must fire at least one shot from the 25 yard line), move to a position at the 10 yard line and shoot from there until you hit. If you want to use this option, set up a simulated point of cover at the 10 yard line and offset laterally by 5 yards from the lane/position where the target is located. See accompanying diagram. If you don't have anything to use as simulated cover, you can just mark the spot on the ground you are going to move to.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
Target used: tennis ball or alternative target
Number of shots fired from 25 yard line (note any positional shooting), number of shots fired from 10 yard line (note any positional shooting)
Total number of shots fired to make one hit
Total time to make one hit
Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7668/17426938562_58632e0271_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sxXBFY)Senior Airman Andy Brown Challenge (https://flic.kr/p/sxXBFY) by OrigamiAK (https://www.flickr.com/people/52790396@N08/), on Flickr

Mr_White
05-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Shot this one cold as the first activity yesterday afternoon.

Equipment: Gen3 G34 concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt
Target: hanging tennis ball
Number of shots from each distance: 2 at the 25 yard line standing freestyle, 0 at the 10 yard line secondary position
Total number of shots to make one hit: 2
Total time to make one hit: 3.43 seconds

Here's to you Andy Brown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EABV8IDvKt4

2alpha-down0
05-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Equipment: M&P9, JMCK AIWB, untucked polo
Target: Tennis ball on a string, stapled in a sophomoric fashion to a USPSA Metric
# shots each distance: 1 from 25 yards prone
Total # shots to make one hit: 1
Total time to make one hit: 4.86

Please don't ask me to repeat this performance.:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYgwQCSkaBw

Mr_White
05-16-2015, 11:59 PM
That is awesome!

JHC
05-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Aw shoot. From memory used the timer to start and include the running. ;)

First try took 6 shots in 56.54 sec.

Next try took 23.74 sec to hit in the 2nd shot. 6.44 sec split to the 2nd shot/hit.

I used 1/2 of a 3x5 card. Very close to a tennis ball size.

Gen 4 G17 from OWB

DocGKR
05-18-2015, 05:16 PM
G19 w/RMR06 carried AIWB in a JM Custom holster from under an un-tucked long sleeve Carhart shirt firing Fed AE9FP 147 gr FMJ on 1/2 if a 3x5 card. Ran the test twice:

First attempt: Total time = 19.59s; time from draw to first hit 4.76s (hit on second shot)
Second attempt: Total time = 17.57s; time from draw to first hit 4.57s (hit on first shot)

JHC
05-18-2015, 06:34 PM
G19 w/RMR06 carried AIWB in a JM Custom holster from under an un-tucked long sleeve Carhart shirt firing Fed AE9FP 147 gr FMJ on 1/2 if a 3x5 card. Ran the test twice:

First attempt: Total time = 19.59s; time from draw to first hit 4.76s (hit on second shot)
Second attempt: Total time = 17.57s; time from draw to first hit 4.57s (hit on first shot)

You were haulin' ass. I was afraid of tweaking a hammy and . . . I did. LOL

Range1
05-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Equipment used: Glock 34 with FO front sight, CompTac OWB holster and vest

Target used: half of a 3x5 card

Number of shots fired from 25 yard line: 3 Standing unsupported

Total number of shots fired to make one hit: 3

Total time to make one hit: 3.42 seconds

Also used a Glock 22 slide on the 34 frame with LWD 9mm conversion barrel and RDS. First try was 7 shots in 26.5 seconds standing unsupported. That dot was going all over the place.
Tried again with the RDS kneeling supported. Got 1 hit in 1 shot. Checked timer and it said 0.00, WTF!? Of course my best run the timer would screw up. Oh well no worries try again. After several shots and not even close I gave up and went with my first run.

Totem Polar
05-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Hmmm. Andy Brown is a member at the range I go to. Wonder how he'd do on the drill? :D

Looks like another fun one to shoot, thanks GW.

EricM
05-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Equipment: G34, Blade-Tech OWB, no concealment
Target used: tennis ball
Shots fired: 10 standing from 25 yard line
Total time: 16.99

Not one of my finer moments...didn't think this one would be that big of a deal but I blew it. Was it the physical activity, or maybe I was thinking so much about watching for the hit that I didn't hold focus on my front sight? Thought I knew my POI pretty well on this gun, but just to be sure I marked a + on some cardboard with a sharpie, walked back to 25 yards, and fired one shot:

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/052515/111.jpg

So yeah, I'd say the sights are fine, I know the gun, and I'm capable of the shot, but failed to perform. Good drill I'll be running again, I want to explore the impact of the elevated heart rate and should also try some different positions.

Btw, those mini V-shaped clay holders you stick in the ground work pretty well for tennis balls. I see a fuzzy yellow plate rack in my future.

rsa-otc
05-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Bad day in bedrock:

First attempt:
M&P 40
OWB Open top holster
Tactical Vest
Target - Tennis Ball

From the beep: 20.56 sec 14 shots
Had to move to the 10 yard line to make the hit.

On my second attempt after 12 rounds and not being able to hit a 8 inch plate from prone at the 25 I benched the gun and found it hitting Low Right approx. the 7 ring on a b-8 target. Possible explanations in my training journal.

Clobbersaurus
05-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Start position: Concealed
Time: 21.92 sec (from the beep) - I hit the tennis ball on the 9th shot. My time was actually a little faster than that but I couldn't tell for sure if I had hit the ball due to the way I attached it to the target. Time was at the end of my 10 round mag. You can hear me lumbering my carcass down range at the start of the video.
Girsan Regard 9mm, AIWB holster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhKwyoaLVE0

raks
06-05-2015, 08:51 AM
GP X-Trim, Safariland OWB holster, concealed.
Target ~3"x3" block of wood

First attempt, timer error & no time recorded. 4 shots.
2nd run: 5.26 first hit (21.43 total, 5 shots all from the 25)

This was a fun one, the first shot was the most challenging. It felt like forever just lining up the sights while catching breath and I still threw it a little high.