PDA

View Full Version : Dry Fire Routine

ToddG
08-25-2011, 09:33 AM
I've been getting a lot of requests lately for dry fire routine help, which is odd because I'm not exactly the most diligent dry-firer out there. But I did put a month long routine together for a buddy a while back and recently posted it to my site: pistol-training.com Dry Fire Routine (http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185).

The idea is pretty straightforward. People often burn out on dry fire because, let's face it, dry fire is boring. So we have a number of goals:

Keep it interesting.
Focus on the important skills.
Get in at least a few reps each month of the less common techniques to maintain proficiency.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
That beats my routine.

Using a J-frame in strong hand, with a coin on the front sight, press out to extension w/both hands and fire till the coin falls off, then reload with snap caps, and back to full extension for 10 reps;

Strong hand only, weapon at extension, coin on sight, dry fire till coin falls off, then replace & repeat. This I do for time (about 5 min), or till I get 5 shots in a row not dropping the coin. (Um...we're more doing it for time these days...) When the coin falls off, execute reload with snap caps and bring back to firing position.

Repeat the above for weak hand, except I'm happy with 2 shots without the coin falling WHO.

Recargador
08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Todd,

Thanks for this thread! I'm a Firearms Instructor for the U.S. Border Patrol and from time to time I've had agents come to me for advice concerning dry fire practice. At times we've faced fluctuations in the amount of ammo that we can issue to the agents so in order to keep the agents interested I've recommended this site.

RJ

GForceLizard
08-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Excuse my ignorance. What LRW stand for?

08-25-2011, 01:19 PM
LRW I am guessing means Lock Rip Work.

Lock the slide back, rip the mag out, work the slide.

ToddG
08-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Correct. Just a shorthand for "clear an out-of-battery stoppage," really.

Dropkick
08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Good stuff Todd! This is the perfect motivation to get back into a dry-fire routine.

I made up one a while back that had a mix of 2H, SHO, WHO, Mirror-Image, etc. that I was doing ever other day. Then real life came along and I got completely off my schedule. Ooops!

If all goes well, I'll be able to give this a go for September. :)

turbolag23
08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
thanks for the write up. ill admit ive been slacking on dry fire practice, mainly because its boring resetting the trigger. a SIRT pistol may be a good investment i think.

John Taylor
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Todd - I presume that any of the drills that don't specifically reference "Wall Drill" use a specific aim point/target. Am I correct and, if so, do you have a recommendation on what that specific target should look like? To scale IDPA target? Small black dot? Coke can sized circle drawn w/ magic marker? Or whatever?

Thanks!

dsa
08-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Todd - I presume that any of the drills that don't specifically reference "Wall Drill" use a specific aim point/target. Am I correct and, if so, do you have a recommendation on what that specific target should look like? To scale IDPA target? Small black dot? Coke can sized circle drawn w/ magic marker? Or whatever?

Thanks!

http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill

ToddG
08-25-2011, 04:36 PM
John -- I prefer to use a reasonably small target because I'm not going fast. If I'm not moving at maximum speed, I should be able to have a pretty good sight picture and trigger press. But the target isn't as big a deal as reading the sights.

JFK
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I keep it interesting by keeping it short.

- about 3 min of draw, press out, and trigger. Reset the gun and then do a follow up trigger press. (I do this a 1/2 speed concentrating on forum and correctness)
- about 3 min of reloads
- about 3 min of full speed draws

The most important thing is I give my self verbal reinforcement by saying... "Im a super secret ninja! You can't touch my ninja skills!"

Shellback
08-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the dry fire routine. Will definitely help break up the monotony involved and gets me thinking about other types of practice I need to incorporate.

ubervic
08-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I've been getting a lot of requests lately for dry fire routine help, which is odd because I'm not exactly the most diligent dry-firer out there. But I did put a month long routine together for a buddy a while back and recently posted it to my site: pistol-training.com Dry Fire Routine (http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185).

The idea is pretty straightforward. People often burn out on dry fire because, let's face it, dry fire is boring. So we have a number of goals:

Keep it interesting.
Focus on the important skills.
Get in at least a few reps each month of the less common techniques to maintain proficiency.

Holy smoke! It's just dawned on me that I haven't done any dry-fire practice for at least 3 months!

I've got some work to do.....and will be the better for it.

Thanks

zml342
08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
The most important thing is I give my self verbal reinforcement by saying... "Im a super secret ninja! You can't touch my ninja skills!"

Awesome line! My fiance gave me that "what is wrong with you" look for randomly laughing so much.

HeadHunter
08-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't view dry fire as boring. I get to go to the range every day.

This session will take 10-15 minutes. Avoid becoming fatigued and ingraining bad habits.

Dry fire practice can be extremely dangerous if proper safety procedures are not followed.
Always observe the Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling

Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling
• All guns are always loaded
• Never point a gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy
• Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire
• Know your target and what is beyond it

Dry Fire Safety Procedures
• Dry fire ONLY when you are alert and focused
• Unload your pistol in an area other than the practice area - do not take any ammunition with you to the practice area
• Go to your practice area where there is NO LIVE AMMUNITION
• Check your pistol again to ensure that there is no ammunition in the pistol or any magazines you will use for practice
• Dry fire practice only on a specific dry fire target which is used only for dry fire practice. Do NOT dry fire at TVs, light switches, or other such general targets; doing so is a dangerous practice that can lead to damage, injury, or death of someone else.
• Place your dry fire target against a bullet resistant wall, e.g., brick or concrete block
• If a bullet resistant wall is not available the target should be backed by a body armor panel capable of containing a bullet from your pistol
• Do not allow yourself to be disturbed during dry fire practice
• Wear eye protection when dry firing in case of a Negligent Discharge
• If you use dummy ammunition during dry fire, use ONLY commercially manufactured, easily identifiable dummies. Homemade dummies are unsafe and can result in death or serious injury.
• When you are finished practicing, put your target and pistol away immediately and do some other action that will remove dry fire from your thoughts. Do NOT immediately reload your pistol.
• Failure to follow these procedures EXACTLY can result in legal liability, property damage, serious injury, or DEATH.

Basic Dry Fire Practice Session -
• Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
• Presentation from Low Ready - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
• Draw from Open Holster - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
• Draw from Concealed Holster - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
• Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Strong Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
• Draw from Open Holster - Strong Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
• Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Weak Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
• Presentation from Low Ready - Weak Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
• Draw from Concealed Holster - Strong Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
• Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtR80Knmug

fixer
08-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Todd,

Thanks for the drill. This will be very helpful.

Dropkick
09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I gave the basic routine a go today. My plan is to do Friday's routine, then start week 1 over again, and then continue through the rest.

Anyhow, here are some of my observations from today:
- My weak hand only has gone downhill from what it was. My weak arm and hand were shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, instead of shaking like leaf in a thunderstorm.
- When doing the weak (left) hand parts, I would sling shot the slide with my right hand. Where as with 2H and SHO, I would rack the slide from over the top with my left hand. I'm not sure if doing it two different ways is really all that a "bad thing" or not since I'm consistent.
- For the press-out part, I tried to keep the pistol closer to my chin than I have in the past. I can really "see" why this is a better way for acquiring the sights faster on a press-out.

Ga Shooter
09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't view dry fire as boring. I get to go to the range every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtR80Knmug

I must ask this and I hope this is not offensive, but after watching your video you look very siilar to the guy that has the dry fire cd and videos sold in conjunction with Rogers Shooting School are you the same person?

Disclaimer:

I have those videos on my main computer but the video card died and I cannot go back and watch them for reference.

Shellback
09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I must ask this and I hope this is not offensive, but after watching your video you look very siilar to the guy that has the dry fire cd and videos sold in conjunction with Rogers Shooting School are you the same person?

I have a question relating to the Youtube video that was posted. Is there a reason when practicing reloads from slide lock that the gentleman in the video is only using the blue training mag for insertion and then swapping it back to his carrier? Is it due to weight of the blue mag being similar to a fully loaded magazine? I don't have any blue mags and just use empties for practice.

ToddG
09-01-2011, 03:03 PM

I laughed. Out loud. "You look like the guy in those videos... I hope that's not offensive to you." :cool:

HH is in fact that same guy. He's got a very good set of dry-fire CDs and spent many years as the head instructor at Rogers Shooting School. In fact, the last time I was down there for a class ('08), HH was our lead instructor. For those who haven't been to the school before, every night there is a planned dry fire session with the instructors to help build on the skills being taught on the range.

Ga Shooter
09-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I laughed. Out loud. "You look like the guy in those videos... I hope that's not offensive to you." :cool:

HH is in fact that same guy. He's got a very good set of dry-fire CDs and spent many years as the head instructor at Rogers Shooting School. In fact, the last time I was down there for a class ('08), HH was our lead instructor. For those who haven't been to the school before, every night there is a planned dry fire session with the instructors to help build on the skills being taught on the range.

Well......When you start telling people that they look like someone else sometimes it just gets ugly.:o

But for what it is worth, I put those dry fire cds on my ipod and have been using them for close to a year. I love them and they have helped a lot. I think they are great.

HeadHunter
09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I must ask this and I hope this is not offensive, but after watching your video you look very siilar [sic] to the guy that has the dry fire cd and videos sold in conjunction with Rogers Shooting School are you the same person?

Disclaimer:

I have those videos on my main computer but the video card died and I cannot go back and watch them for reference.

I am the same person.

HeadHunter
09-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I have a question relating to the Youtube video that was posted. Is there a reason when practicing reloads from slide lock that the gentleman in the video is only using the blue training mag for insertion and then swapping it back to his carrier? Is it due to weight of the blue mag being similar to a fully loaded magazine? I don't have any blue mags and just use empties for practice.
I like Bennie's blue safety mags. They have more weight, no feed lips to hamper the insertion, and they don't function the slide stop.

Shellback
09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I like Bennie's blue safety mags. They have more weight, no feed lips to hamper the insertion, and they don't function the slide stop.

Cool, thanks!

yarco
09-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Excuse my English understanding - what does the term "Retention" mean in Wednesday of Week 3?
Draw&Fire from retention, draw back to retention, ...

It's some gun position like High or Low ready?
Or it's connected to retention holster or reload?
Or ...?

Better ask than die stupid ;)
Thank you.

Ga Shooter
09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I am the same person.

Well I would like to personally thank you for making the Dry Fire CDs and routines; they have challenged me and help me to discover some of my weak points. I use them almost daily to strengthen my shooting skills since I have limited live fire sessions.

JeffJ
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Where would one find these dryfire CDs?

ToddG
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Excuse my English understanding - what does the term "Retention" mean in Wednesday of Week 3?

There are a variety of different ways people teach shooting from retention. But essentially, they are shooting positions for contact and near-contact distance shooting.

Ga Shooter
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Where would one find these dryfire CDs?

http://www.dryfire-practice.com/page14.php?view=productListPage&category=1

Dropkick
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Another thing I noticed... Going slow, without "doing the robot" through the draw count is not easy.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

bdcheung
01-08-2012, 10:38 AM
There are a variety of different ways people teach shooting from retention. But essentially, they are shooting positions for contact and near-contact distance shooting.

Todd,

Sorry for digging up an old thread but this n00b needs further clarification.

Could you give an example of firing "from retention"? Is that just a way of saying "shooting from a holster with an active retention mechanism like a thumb break or, for example, Safariland's ALS"? I'm still not clear on the concept, in spite of your quoted explanation. Like I said, totall n00b so forgive my ignorance.

agent-smith
01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Another thing I noticed... Going slow, without "doing the robot" through the draw count is not easy.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo....DOMO!!!!

Domo....DOMO!!!!

(This is going to be looping in my head all f'ing day)

ToddG
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Could you give an example of firing "from retention"? Is that just a way of saying "shooting from a holster with an active retention mechanism like a thumb break or, for example, Safariland's ALS"? I'm still not clear on the concept, in spite of your quoted explanation. Like I said, totall n00b so forgive my ignorance.

No worries. The confusion is understandable because "retention" is a double use term in this industry.

"Shooting from retention" in this context means shooting from a body position that anticipates a nearby threat having the ability to grab your gun and take it from you if you stand in a normal extended stance. As mentioned previously there are a variety of different techniques taught by different instructors, but the gist is that you keep the gun closer to your body while making sure you don't accidentally shoot yourself. :cool:

bdcheung
01-08-2012, 11:56 AM
"Shooting from retention" in this context means shooting from a body position that anticipates a nearby threat having the ability to grab your gun and take it from you if you stand in a normal extended stance.

Thanks Todd :) So essentially you're shooting from a position where you aren't using your sights. How do you practice accuracy with this? Is shooting from retention permitted at NRA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddG
01-09-2012, 12:13 AM
So essentially you're shooting from a position where you aren't using your sights.

Correct.

How do you practice accuracy with this?

By habit, muscle memory, body index, etc. depending on who's teaching.

Is shooting from retention permitted at NRA?

No.

bdcheung
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
No.

Figgered'.

So where's a good outdoor range in this neck of the woods?

Bevenue
01-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Todd, on the "5 reps of Wall Drill from the holster, WHO." How do you grip the gun coming out of the holster? Are you gripping it upside down and flipping it after its out of the holster or what? I'm using a IWB at 4:00. It about kills my weak hand shoulder to get a correct grip on the gun.

EDIT: Just noticed I can swing my arm behind me and draw from the rear.

Ben1976
05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Sorry for the ignorant, but what does the acronym stand for?

2H, SHO ,WHO, TRB, LRW

Thanks

bdcheung
05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Sorry for the ignorant, but what does the acronym stand for?

2H, SHO ,WHO, TRB, LRW

Thanks

In order:

2-handed

Strong Hand only

Week Hand Only

Tap Rack Bang (a malfunction clearing technique. TAP the magazine. RACK the slide. BANG/pull the trigger)

Lock Rip Work (a malfunction clearing technique for more stubborn malfunctions. LOCK the slide back. RIP the magazine out. WORK the action)

Ben1976
05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Thank you :)

Corlissimo
05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Removed.

roller
05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Todd;

I've been using your Dry Fire Routine for about two month now. The improvement in my skills is outstanding! Thanks for the help.:)

A couple of questions of clarification.

How do you practice the draw from the holster WHO in the Tuesday practice session?

Anytime a speed is not specified, I run the drill slow. Correct?

I have added another two drills to each day.

First, I added the "case on the front sight drill" as follows. 5 reps two hands strong side; 5 reps one hand strong side; 5 reps two hands weak side; 5 reps one had weak side. Each five "click" drill must be completed without the case falling off. If it does, that fiev string drill must be repeated. Time limit 10 minutes and I stop until the next day to keep from getting tired.

Second, I add 10 draws from the concealed holster, at speed, with a par time of 1.5 sec. Aim point is a 1/2" x 1" post-it.

Thanks again

Roller
check 360

ToddG
05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
How do you practice the draw from the holster WHO in the Tuesday practice session?

There are a variety of ways to accomplish it, all of which involve some degree of risk. As such, it's something I only teach in person. I'm sure you could Google/YouTube a number of methods.

Anytime a speed is not specified, I run the drill slow. Correct?

I never dry fire at full speed. From the routine description:

When a speed is indicated as “slow” it means no faster than you can guarantee that every movement and every moment is perfectly in proper form. When a speed is indicated as “3/4 speed” it means go at a pace you are doing things right and not fumbling. If you start fumbling, slow down as much as necessary and get in good reps. Good reps are much better than fast reps.

roller
05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Todd; thanks for the help.

Roller
Check 360

scw2
06-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Will I damage my gun if I want to dryfire practice stuff like reloads and clearing malfunctions? My friend said to not let the slide slam shut if the magazine is empty, so I'm wondering if I need to buy snapcaps load into my magazines to practice reloads, TRB, etc.

bdcheung
06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Will I damage my gun if I want to dryfire practice stuff like reloads and clearing malfunctions? My friend said to not let the slide slam shut if the magazine is empty, so I'm wondering if I need to buy snapcaps load into my magazines to practice reloads, TRB, etc.

Get yourself some snap caps and you'll be fine.

52Hubcap
07-03-2015, 07:05 PM
As a newbie, I'm not sure what TRB and ID designate either. Also. I'm assuming Tuesday of Week 4 (WHO) refers back to Tues., Week 3???

nycnoob
07-03-2015, 08:10 PM
As a newbie, I'm not sure what TRB and ID designate either. Also. I'm assuming Tuesday of Week 4 (WHO) refers back to Tues., Week 3???

WHO -> Weak Hand Only
SHO -> Strong Hand Only
2H -> Two hands

TRB -> Tap Rack Bang
LRW -> Lock Rip Work

ID -> Identify as in "shine the light on a potential bad guy"

Hope this helps

52Hubcap
07-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanx, nycnoob.

FireHouse1911
08-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Dragging up an old thread, but I have really been seeing improvement by implementing this routine. Was curious if Headhunters dry fire CDs were still available for purchase anywhere? All the links seem to be broken.

Whirlwind06
09-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Dragging up an old thread, but I have really been seeing improvement by implementing this routine. Was curious if Headhunters dry fire CDs were still available for purchase anywhere? All the links seem to be broken.

I can’t speak for HeadHunter but this might be it:

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2019/07/02/advanced-pistol-practice-book-and-mp3s/

feudist
09-25-2020, 02:54 AM
I can’t speak for HeadHunter but this might be it:

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2019/07/02/advanced-pistol-practice-book-and-mp3s/

Same-same.

Guerrero
11-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Was just about to post a newbie ignorant dry-fire question thread, then I found this. Questions answered.

Guerrero
11-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Was just about to post a newbie ignorant dry-fire question thread, then I found this. Questions answered.

Ok, maybe I do have one question: what does a "perfect trigger press" look like? Front sight doesn't move?

Whirlwind06
11-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Ok, maybe I do have one question: what does a "perfect trigger press" look like? Front sight doesn't move?

IMO bullseye practice with a slow deliberate press yes.
USPSA/IDPA practice no, find the balance between fast trigger press and acceptable target.
At least that is what I take from Ben Stoeger's books.

feudist
11-19-2020, 12:04 AM

If you got a dot sighted pistol, stick a MantisX on it.

The combination of the optic giving you so much info about the gun's movement and MantisX recording your shot process is amazing. You can learn(quickly) to

call your shots with great precision and then check your call against the shot trace.You can really drill down into each shot and keep a running average of your results.