PDA

View Full Version : Picking a revolver

UNK
05-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I have always wanted a .357 revolver.
I have looked at the K L and N frames Older models pre lock.
The K was absolutely gorgeous no box 1000-1100. Pinned. Plum barrel.
The Highway Patrolman was a little used it had a scratch on the cylinder but didn't look like it had ever been carried. 650.00

The L frame was stainless I think and looked rougher than both of the above for 650.00
Then there was a N frame which I think was also 650.00.
They were all 4" barrels and I really don't think I would go any longer.

So I don't know anything about revolvers. It's really an irrational desire. I'm probably going to mostly shoot .38's. Occasionally .357's maybe. Mostly bulls eye or I think steel target would be fun. I'm pretty sure it will be for range use only however I have always wanted to try deer hunting with a revolver.

The clerk was really helpful and very knowledgable. Would anybody here care to weigh in on this matter? +'s or -'s. to consider. Are the Prices in line?

Al T.
05-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Tough to tell as prices are so local. Around here, those prices are very high. Perhaps looking on Gunbroker will give you a better yardstick.

UNK
05-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Yes I think I got my models mixed up. I'll check at gunbroker.

Tough to tell as prices are so local. Around here, those prices are very high. Perhaps looking on Gunbroker will give you a better yardstick.

Dagga Boy
05-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Prices are a little high, but I would go with the Highway Patrolman. Super easy to shoot and generally shoot really well. If you are not going to daily carry it, then they also make a great home gun and outdoors gun.

Jeep
05-02-2015, 05:57 PM
The Highway Patrolman was a little used it had a scratch on the cylinder but didn't look like it had ever been carried. 650.00

The L frame was stainless I think and looked rougher than both of the above for 650.00

So I don't know anything about revolvers. It's really an irrational desire. I'm probably going to mostly shoot .38's. Occasionally .357's maybe. Mostly bulls eye or I think steel target would be fun. I'm pretty sure it will be for range use only however I have always wanted to try deer hunting with a revolver.

The clerk was really helpful and very knowledgable. Would anybody here care to weigh in on this matter? +'s or -'s. to consider. Are the Prices in line?

At those prices (which seem quite high) I would look at a new 686+ or go with the Model 28--depending on how big that scratch is.

JHC
05-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Prices are a little high, but I would go with the Highway Patrolman. Super easy to shoot and generally shoot really well. If you are not going to daily carry it, then they also make a great home gun and outdoors gun.

+1 That's the only .357 wheelie I have now. A joy to shoot with full loads; something I never said about the 3 K frame magnums I've owned before.

Chuck Haggard
05-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I really like my L frame 681, and it works for deer hunting as well

UNK
05-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Yes The one I said was really gorgeous was an L frame. It had checkering on top the orange front sight a target trigger and hammer. It was 1000-1100. The patrolman was 650. Both were nice.

I really like my L frame 681, and it works for deer hunting as well

Lester Polfus
05-02-2015, 08:16 PM
For pure shooting joy you can't beat the Highway Patrolman. The first time I fired a .38 in an N frame, I really thought it was a squib because the recoil was so low.

Chuck Haggard
05-02-2015, 08:48 PM
My 681 is a beater on the outside, but the trigger is butter smooth and she shoots damn near everything I load up into very small groups.

Dagga Boy
05-02-2015, 08:49 PM
There was a time in life I loved feeling the sharp recoil of all my big bore magnums. I have numerous snub nose magnums. They are really cool. With that said I am paying a price now for those years of abusing my hands. I recently got a nice Highway patrolman shooter. With .38's it is simply pleasant and fun to shoot. No flinching, no drama, just roll that big cylinder around and getting easy hits. It is one of my "shooters" now. I have some stag grips on it, and it takes you back in time. For a fun gun, this is it. While the smaller guns are much more practical for carry, the highway patrolman is just a great belt gun and range shooter.

UNK
05-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Those L revolvers were heavy. I would hate to carry one around all day. I agree. It seems like a heck of a round. Too bad sig didn't get it right with the 357Sig.

There was a time in life I loved feeling the sharp recoil of all my big bore magnums. I have numerous snub nose magnums. They are really cool. With that said I am paying a price now for those years of abusing my hands. I recently got a nice Highway patrolman shooter. With .38's it is simply pleasant and fun to shoot. No flinching, no drama, just roll that big cylinder around and getting easy hits. It is one of my "shooters" now. I have some stag grips on it, and it takes you back in time. For a fun gun, this is it. While the smaller guns are much more practical for carry, the highway patrolman is just a great belt gun and range shooter.

hks95134
05-03-2015, 06:05 AM

I started with a S&W Model 39 9x19, then graduated to a BHP for more ammo capacity, then jumped to a S&W Model 19 357, then moved up to a S&W Model 29 44, and then finally came back to the 45ACP which I had carried during my tour of duty working for Uncle Sam.

If I really wanted a 357 I would get the Desert Eagle pistol.

However I am over it.

Wheeler
05-03-2015, 10:48 AM
The M28 is a horse pistol. After carrying mine a few times while hunting with a good holster and good belt I could see the positives of using a Sam Browne belt. That being said, it is immensely pleasant to shoot, even with very hot .357 defensive loads and/or Keith and Skelton loads.
The price is a bit high but, if you plan to get it and keep it you're not really paying too much, you're just buying it a bit early. :). I have a really hard time with dropping a grand on any mass production K frame. There are a few collectible s out there that I could see paying that kind of money for if I had the scratch and the itch.

Malamute
05-03-2015, 11:53 AM

Yes I think I got my models mixed up. I'll check at gunbroker.

Yes The one I said was really gorgeous was an L frame. It had checkering on top the orange front sight a target trigger and hammer. It was 1000-1100.

Those L revolvers were heavy. I would hate to carry one around all day.

Is it possible you confused models? It sounds like the $1000-$1100, checkered top, heavy gun was a model 27, which is an N frame (heaviest frame) and the finest finished gun Smith & Wesson made. That price may not be too out of line for a model 27, but I'm not up to speed on their current prices.

Nyeti would have a better idea on current model 27 prices.

Dagga Boy
05-03-2015, 12:40 PM
That would be right on a 27.

UNK
05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Yes I said that in my second post. I think I got my models confused. I had a lot of previously unknown info thrown at me in a short period of time. Or that and old timers. I should have taken notes. :p I am pretty sure that is right an N frame. Right next to it was a highway patrolman that looked to be about the same size.

Is it possible you confused models? It sounds like the $1000-$1100, checkered top, heavy gun was a model 27, which is an N frame (heaviest frame) and the finest finished gun Smith & Wesson made. That price may not be too out of line for a model 27, but I'm not up to speed on their current prices.

Nyeti would have a better idea on current model 27 prices.

Malamute
05-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Yes, the Highway Patrolman and the 27 share the same frame.

Its easy to get confused at all the models and frame sizes if its new to you. Just hoping to help clarify a bit. And, as nyeti said, that price isnt too far off for a model 27.

I regret selling the 27's I've had. The Highway Patrolman's are the plain, dull polish blue, which tended to leave me thinking of a 27 and their fine checkering all across the top and deep polished blue. Probably not any difference in how well each shoot.

Dagga Boy
05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
The Model 28 Highway Patrolman is a utility version of the Model 27. They were much less expensive and more utilitarian and made for law enforcement duty guns. The model 27's were much better finished and came in some different barrel lengths. The highway patrolman were generally found in 4 and 6 inch. I love them in both model lengths. It is no secret that I think the Model 27 in its 3.5" model is the best looking and most purposeful revolver ever made. You pick one up and want to hunt bad guys-period. While the 3.5 is the most purposeful, the 5" 27 may be the classiest. I will not own a 27 in 4 or 6 inch. Those are how I like my 28's. Personal thing with not real logical meaning. My 4" Highway Patrolman is one of my favorites to just take out and shoot. Accurate, low recoils, and a serious revolver. When it comes to watching TV and having a revolver in hand to just enjoy...my 3.5" 27. Even better with a fine cigar.

will_1400
05-03-2015, 05:04 PM
This thread made me look up some older N-frames to see what's out there and the prices people are asking.

I think I found Nyeti's old friend on Gunbroker (though I doubt the cylinder is stock): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481040568

Chuck Whitlock
05-04-2015, 09:58 AM
BrianB,

Are you stuck on getting a S&W? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if not Ruger revolvers are pretty much built like tanks. Just throwing that out there.

UNK
05-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Yes pretty much a S&W.

BrianB,

Are you stuck on getting a S&W? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if not Ruger revolvers are pretty much built like tanks. Just throwing that out there.

Drifting Fate
05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Yes pretty much a S&W.

I LOVE my Smiths, but I have to say the Wiley Clapp GP100's are a worthy consideration.

1986s4
05-05-2015, 08:36 AM
The L frame will take a diet of .357 without to much trouble but they are heavier than the K frame. The K is a good packing revolver, I have a nice 3" K in .357. The N frame will soak up recoil better than the other two. Kind of depends on your intended use.

Dagga Boy
05-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Post I did on another forum in regards to my thoughts for use of .357 magnum.

My opinion....take it for what its worth:

K frames-.38 special guns great to carry with high performance +p .38
L frames-38 special guns great to carry with .357. They do not do well with a solid diet of .357 mag, especially the older ones.
N frames-You want to shoot what you carry....this is what you need for both physical reasons of the shooter and the gun.

I was going to buy a 5" Model 27 recently. Nice gun. When I inspected it I saw the deepest flame cutting on the top of the frame I have ever seen. Yet, the gun was tight and in great shape otherwise. You would have destroyed a k or l to get to this. It was a former Texas lawman gun who obviously shot exclusively a lot of full house .357 magnum. I passed as the price was way above the wear level,but it gave me confidence in my opinion and love of model 27 and 28's for really getting the most of .357 Magnum.

You guys ever see me open carrying on a ranch someday, it will likely be with a 27 or 28. I have a ton of great K and L frames,but I generally carry good .38's in them. By the way,there is nothing wrong with modern high performance .38 loads.

Oh yea.....357 J frames. Only to have in case I can only find .357 magnum ammo In some kind of crisis. I would not shoot it in them at all.

Rugers.....shoot whatever you can handle.

45dotACP
05-05-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm not gonna lie....the match champion is just a dead sexy gun. Something I have never said about a ruger handgun ever.

Robinson
05-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Post I did on another forum in regards to my thoughts for use of .357 magnum.

I like the post. K and L frame guns are just about the perfect launchers for .38Spl+P ammunition. The K frames are a little lighter and easier to carry and they balance nicely, the L frames have a little more weight up front (generally) and are real nice for shooting.

1986s4
05-06-2015, 11:58 AM
I sometimes pack a 3" K frame loaded with .38+p. I used to compete with it too, until I got my 686. The 686 is a good shootin' iron.

Jeep
05-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Oh yea.....357 J frames. Only to have in case I can only find .357 magnum ammo In some kind of crisis. I would not shoot it in them at all.

I thought the purpose of J frames in .357 magnum was to convince shooters than G 23's with hot 155 grain loads weren't so bad after all.

LSP972
05-06-2015, 05:33 PM
L frames-38 special guns great to carry with .357. They do not do well with a solid diet of .357 mag, especially the older ones.

This is gospel… as we discovered in 1990-91. The ones with the floating hand are particularly susceptible to "magnumitis"; you will start seeing throw-by (the cylinder not indexing properly between trigger pulls) fairly soon with nothing but .357s.

LSP972
05-06-2015, 05:39 PM
I thought the purpose of J frames in .357 magnum was to convince shooters than G 23's with hot 155 grain loads weren't so bad after all.

LOL. Much truth there. Shooting those little AirLite bastards with a real .357 cartridge is a physical blow to the hand. My partner, who was VERY much a man (and still is, at age 62), insisted on running through our 50 round BUG qual course with issue 158gr Hydra-Shoks, when we first got the beasties in 2002. He was bloody and beaten-literally- when the deed was done.

Jeep
05-06-2015, 09:31 PM
50 rounds of .357 through an airlite? On a qualification course? Does he chew glass for breakfast?

1986s4
05-07-2015, 07:49 AM
This is gospel… as we discovered in 1990-91. The ones with the floating hand are particularly susceptible to "magnumitis"; you will start seeing throw-by (the cylinder not indexing properly between trigger pulls) fairly soon with nothing but .357s.

Do you know which "-dashes" this affects? S&W would fix this no?

LSP972
05-07-2015, 08:37 AM
50 rounds of .357 through an airlite? On a qualification course? Does he chew glass for breakfast?

Pretty close. Back then, he benched well over 400# easily; just a bull of a man.

But the point was, The Beast with "magnums" thoroughly subdued him. When it was over, he told me "The next time I even THINK about trying something like that, shoot me in the head, okay?":D

LSP972
05-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Do you know which "-dashes" this affects? S&W would fix this no?

It began with the 686-1. No idea when they stopped, but police armorers across the country were ready to converge on Springfield with pitchforks and torches. They received a ton of complaints, and eventually went back to the old system. We got two batches of them, in 90 and 91, then didn't buy any more state-issue handguns until moving to Sig in 1996.

As for the factory "fixing" it... doubtful. In the first place, it does work- after a fashion. They'll just say its "in spec". OTOH, if you send one in with throw-by or other related maladies, they will certainly fix that... the question is, what parts will they use? All my contacts at the factory are long gone (dead or retired), so my days of getting insider skinny are done, I'm afraid.

Dagga Boy
05-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Sort of the dirty little secret for those of us around back then.......the L frames were not friendly to the use of factory .357 that they were claimed to be. A lot of folks found out the hard way that the hype was better than the product.

The Gp100 was the answer, but the semi auto was the better option for most places rather than messing around with how to get the revolvers to work with high performance magnum ammunition, especially with smaller officers coming into LE in that era.

Hizzie
05-07-2015, 04:54 PM
I LOVE my Smiths, but I have to say the Wiley Clapp GP100's are a worthy consideration.

Sort of the dirty little secret for those of us around back then.......the L frames were not friendly to the use of factory .357 that they were claimed to be. A lot of folks found out the hard way that the hype was better than the product.

The Gp100 was the answer, but the semi auto was the better option for most places rather than messing around with how to get the revolvers to work with high performance magnum ammunition, especially with smaller officers coming into LE in that era.

I was a big Smith fan. The Wiley Clapp changed that for me. My 1# WCII has 1000 magnum rounds down the pipe. The GP100 with Lett style rubber grips is a pleasure to shoot even with hot 125gr magnums. They are affordable and have easily located replacement parts. Novak's will soon be releasing their adjustable sight to replace the WC's fixed Novak rear.

Dagga Boy
05-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Most of my carry loads these days are Speer 135 short barrel Gold Dots, especially in the j's and medium frame Smith's. If I was carrying full house .357 Magnum in a small or mid size gun, it would be in my Bowen SP101 (that has ate a lot of .357 magnum) or a Wiley Clapp GP100. Once I am done with my list of stuff I want for various revolvers as example guns that I can't live without, a set of WC GP 100's is on my short list. They would be fulfilling the same role as my 2 5/8" PC 627, which is my car gun and communist state gun.

LSP972
05-08-2015, 05:32 AM
PC M-627 = 8 rounds.

Isn't that going to offend the peace and dignity of NY state???

Dagga Boy
05-08-2015, 07:29 AM
PC M-627 = 8 rounds.

Isn't that going to offend the peace and dignity of NY state???

Not a semi-auto and does not use a magazine......but it does have clips.

LSP972
05-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Not a semi-auto and does not use a magazine......but it does have clips.

So the law was written specifically targeting bottom-feeders?

Jeep
05-08-2015, 08:59 AM
So the law was written specifically targeting bottom-feeders?

Because 8 rounds from a semi-auto is far more likely to hurt "the children" than 8 rounds from a revolver. Makes sense.

Wondering Beard
05-08-2015, 10:43 AM
..but it does have clips.

What is better for reloading 8rds 627s, the moon clips or speedloaders (are there good 8rd speedloaders?)?

I ask because, while the moon clips seem much faster I'm not sure how one could carry them concealed and protect them from bending.

Dagga Boy
05-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Right now I am experimenting. I have had poor luck in the past with moon clips and reliability with an older 45 ACP. That was over 20 years ago. I have gotten some good input from guys running them in 627's so I am going to do some work. The guy I have been talking to ditches his every six months and seems to be the key. 5 star makes speed loaders, they just turn opposite to what I am used to.

Wondering Beard
05-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Thanks, keep us updated.

Lost River
05-12-2015, 06:59 AM
This thread made me look up some older N-frames to see what's out there and the prices people are asking.

I think I found Nyeti's old friend on Gunbroker (though I doubt the cylinder is stock): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481040568

While this has a steep price, a 5" N frame big bore is "perfection" to me. The 5" barrels seem to be the perfect blend of packability and shootability.

The one listed on GB is one purely badazz piece of hardware. While I am normally a .44 guy, I could rock this one with ease. If we were in a period of LE where revolvers were what were normally carried as a primary weapon, this would be right at the top of the list. I recall Nyeti commenting about astonishing perps with their N frame .45s, and I think this one would be well suited for the task.

jh9
05-12-2015, 07:05 AM
5 star makes speed loaders, they just turn opposite to what I am used to.

I don't know for a fact, but I've heard it mentioned that if you ask they'll make them in a "turn clockwise to release" configuration like HKS.

edit: welp, I was wrong. It's in the FAQ. It's almost like relying on hearsay is a bad idea or something... :p

http://www.5starfirearms.com/contactus.asp

Whiskey_Bravo
05-14-2015, 05:31 PM
What are your guys's thoughts on the Night Guard series of revolvers from S&W?

I really want to get into wheelguns and start doing some competition shooting with them. I want to "enjoy" guns again. Similar to what some others here have said... I thought that the 325NG would make an excellent carry complement to a 625JM for competition/range work. I initially was leaning towards this combo because I do not currently stock any .38/.357 ammo. My other thought process was a Ruger Wiley Clap GP100 for carry and a GP100 match champion for competition/range work. Nyeti's comments on the durability and Brandon H's article "Revolver Relevance" over on Modern Service Weapons has really got me leaning towards that direction. Interested in hearing the thoughts of the members here.

Plus of course I will need a S&W 929, S&W M&P 340, S&W 640 Pro, Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp, etc... to round out the stable. Caleb if you are reading this, your 90 second reviews and revolver vids are killing my financial plans...

Hizzie
05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Whiskey_Bravo - I'm glad you enjoyed my article. One thing to keep in mind with the whole "Smith vs Ruger" decision is frame design. Ruger uses a grip peg and no exposed grip frame. GP100's wearing Lett style grips are very pleasant to shoot. I also find the trigger reach to be shorter with the GP100 than standard S&W N frames. The Rugers just aren't lightweight.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Whiskey_Bravo - I'm glad you enjoyed my article. One thing to keep in mind with the whole "Smith vs Ruger" decision is frame design. Ruger uses a grip peg and no exposed grip frame. GP100's wearing Lett style grips are very pleasant to shoot. I also find the trigger reach to be shorter with the GP100 than standard S&W N frames. The Rugers just aren't lightweight.

Thank you for the feedback and yes I really enjoyed your article. No worries on the weight side. I like 'em nice and thick in all the right places... Plus I bet they are a joy for use as an impact weapon should 6 round of .357 not get the job done (a = Fnet / m) and such. I would like to see VZ offer some nice G10 grips for Rugers like they do the S&W guns. Do you think they would tame recoil in the same way?

Hizzie
05-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Thank you for the feedback and yes I really enjoyed your article. No worries on the weight side. I like 'em nice and thick in all the right places... Plus I bet they are a joy for use as an impact weapon should 6 round of .357 not get the job done (a = Fnet / m) and such. I would like to see VZ offer some nice G10 grips for Rugers like they do the S&W guns. Do you think they would tame recoil in the same way?

Nope. That rubber soaks up the recoil. Very first range session was 200rds of Federal 357B 125gr jhp in just 45 minutes. Went with another ex cop buddy that learned on a wheelgun. Our discussion afterwards was about how much fun we had, not about how punishing the gun was. I had none of the usual hand soreness the next day. That HiTS class was 500 rounds over two days. My hands and elbows were not complaining and I shot 158gr magnum loads all weekend.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Nope. That rubber soaks up the recoil. Very first range session was 200rds of Federal 357B 125gr jhp in just 45 minutes. Went with another ex cop buddy that learned on a wheelgun. Our discussion afterwards was about how much fun we had, not about how punishing the gun was. I had none of the usual hand soreness the next day. That HiTS class was 500 rounds over two days. My hands and elbows were not complaining and I shot 158gr magnum loads all weekend.

That is great to hear. I understand the appeal of the Ruger grips completely now. In your article you mentioned that Tony Mayer from JM made that custom AIWB holster for you. How did the holster work in that position? Did the cylinder bulge create hot sots for you during use? I ask in reference to this article: http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/10/08/holster-showdown-leather-vs-kydex-for-iwb-revolver-carry/

I carry my autos in the AIWB position and would plan on doing so with whichever revolver I selected. I apologize if I am getting off topic here.

Dagga Boy
05-14-2015, 06:41 PM
This is really easy....you want to shoot magnums in whatever caliber you like,you shoot rubber grips of some type. I love the VZ's to carry and for shooting specials, BUT they are painful with full house magnum loads. One thing I love about newer Rugers is their rubber grips work. My .454 Alaskan is better with recoil than my 7.5" Magna ported Freedom Arms .454.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-14-2015, 06:47 PM
This is really easy....you want to shoot magnums in whatever caliber you like,you shoot rubber grips of some type. I love the VZ's to carry and for shooting specials, BUT they are painful with full house magnum loads. One thing I love about newer Rugers is their rubber grips work. My .454 Alaskan is better with recoil than my 7.5" Magna ported Freedom Arms .454.

Well that settles that. Plus you just completely and totally justified a Redhawk for me as well. Much obliged sir ;)

Hizzie
05-14-2015, 06:48 PM
No issues with the JM. If I could go back I would NOT get the extra tuck and get the soft loops instead of split loops.