PDA

View Full Version : AIWB; How do You Know...

GardoneVT
04-30-2015, 11:21 AM
....its a good carry method ,before spending money on a holster?

The dilemma I have;any attempt to carry IWB for me using either my current holster (blade-tech IWB) or even just the pistol (Beretta 92 Brigadier) in my jeans Martin Riggs-style results in two things.

One, the pistol jutting into my legs while seated, and my belly looking like its hosting a Xenomorph either seated or standing.

Are those effects a function of -

Handgun's too big?
Body type isnt compatible (32" waist, 5'10 height 160lb)?
GardoneVT just sucks at life??

JV_
04-30-2015, 11:24 AM
....its a good carry method ,before spending money on a holster?Borrow one.

Handgun's too big?
Body type isnt compatible (32" waist, 5'10 height 160lb)?

We have similar stats, except I'm 2" shorter. I can easily carry a 17 or 34.

GardoneVT
04-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Borrow one.

We have similar stats, except I'm 2" shorter. I can easily carry a 17 or 34.
Thanks.Ill ask only one more thing-does the length of the handgun play a part in comfort?

orionz06
04-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks.Ill ask only one more thing-does the length of the handgun play a part in comfort?

Length of the holster does, with ride height being a factor there too.

GardoneVT
04-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Length of the holster does, with ride height being a factor there too.

Gotcha. No way to put this without sounding like a 'tard, so here goes....how does one keep the weapon/holster combo from uncomfortably rubbing your "gun"?

JV_
04-30-2015, 11:35 AM
does the length of the handgun play a part in comfort?Yes, usually when it comes to sitting and bending.

how does one keep the weapon/holster combo from uncomfortably rubbing your "gun"?Wear underwear. You have to move it laterally to find your own sweet spot.

GardoneVT
04-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the responses all. Since the fellow shooters I know think 25 yards is impossible to shoot with a handgun, whats a good holster to pick up for an AIWB first timer?

YVK
04-30-2015, 11:54 AM
92 Brig is not only 5 inch long bbl, but also 36 Oz unloaded. I aiwb'd an Elite. These are not the guns to figure out if aiwb is for you.
Best of my knowledge, only Tony had a brig-wide holsters, but you should also ask Tom above if he has any.

GardoneVT
04-30-2015, 12:00 PM
92 Brig is not only 5 inch long bbl, but also 36 Oz unloaded. I aiwb'd an Elite. These are not the guns to figure out if aiwb is for you.
Best of my knowledge, only Tony had a brig-wide holsters, but you should also ask Tom above if he has any.

Fair enough.That being said, I'm not changing guns again unless its for a VERY good reason. Gotta make it work with the 92.

Haraise
04-30-2015, 12:00 PM
The 92 is a bit wide, but check Dark Star Gear for a holster. Very good AIWB rig... and I've never found a way to check any carry method, but buy a holster. Maybe you could find a friend to borrow one from?

ssb
04-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the responses all. Since the fellow shooters I know think 25 yards is impossible to shoot with a handgun, whats a good holster to pick up for an AIWB first timer?

I can't recommend the JM Custom Kydex enough for a full-sized gun.

I used it for a P226, which is similar enough to what you've got. It worked quite well with a P30 as well. Extra tuck is necessary for me for me. Split loops for belt attachment.

I'm 5"8, 165lbs, 34" waist, minor gut.

Matt O
04-30-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm definitely a bit bigger than you (6'3", 225lbs), but I have no problem concealing a 92A1 in one of Tony's AIWB holsters. Like sboers, I too would recommend the extra tuck option.

ubervic
04-30-2015, 12:48 PM
JM Custom Kydex is your friend. Even if, in the worst-case scenario, you find that you cannot make it work, you can resell it easily.

JMS
04-30-2015, 12:48 PM
... and I've never found a way to check any carry method, but buy a holster. Maybe you could find a friend to borrow one from?

Seriously.

If you've elected to go with that Beretta, you may have to reconcile to yourself the fact that what you buy may not work out.

And...that if what you buy doesn't work out, you'll have slim chances of selling it on the 2nd-hand market IOT defray your costs. It's a risk you'll have to accept, prior to purchase, since there's little to no way to mitigate or avoid it.

Dunno how likely it'll be that you can borrow-for-tryout another person's 92 AIWB holster, so you may simply be stuck with buying and spinning the Wheel of Destiny

I considered my first AIWB holster to be sacrificial. Turned out I was freakin Karnak on that score...so I modded the hell out of it (cut, padded, drilled, reshaped) and experimented/practiced using those mods. Allowed me to figure out which AIWB holster had features that mimicked (or closely-enough) my mods. Didn't carry AIWB until I had the right holster.

Lon
04-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Ok me your address. I've got a JMCK AIWB I'll send you to try. It should work. I've had my Elite II in it before. Right handed, 1.5" hard loops. Extra tuck.

StraitR
04-30-2015, 01:50 PM
If you have a SIRT to play with, or if you have a Glock to wear dry and around the house, I've got a Keeper for a G17 I'll loan you. I've recently switched to a VP9, so I only use it when playing with my SIRT, but I carried a 19 in it for the last several years. To me, the best part about the Keeper is the versatility in adjusting height and cant. Little tweaks go a long way, and it took me a few months of small adjustments to really find the perfect spot, but you can get the general idea in a few weeks.

I can make a cheap Uncle Mikes clip holster work for SIRT reps, so I have no issue loaning it out for a month or two.

45dotACP
04-30-2015, 08:55 PM
My CCC shaggy works quite well with my 92FS compact. Not the most comfortable when I sit down, because occasionally I get the ol "gun muzzle in the testicle" thing if I sit down wrong. That sucks and is basically the reason I prefer 3:30 to 4:00 carry. (with a G34 no less)

I'm in your boat, if not a little shorter and thinner. 5'9" 145lbs with a 30" waist. The Beretta 92 compact conceals well...though not as well as some of the thinner options perhaps, but with a decent belt and a good AIWB holster, you'd be surprised. You might need to up a shirt size and wear a louder or more complex pattern (dark colors, checked patterns) but it's not too bad. Throw in the fact that nobody is ever looking at your junk to see if you are carrying and you'll likely be just fine.

CCC, JMCK, or Dark Star would have what you're looking for. Buy once, cry once. There is seriously no comparison between an AIWB holster that was purpose built compared to a straight drop IWB holster from Bianchi (I tried this before. absymal failure)

Sigfan26
04-30-2015, 09:24 PM
I'd try a Dale Fricke Archangel , lowered, with a Butt Tuck adapter, if I were you. I use a standard Archangel with my everyday 92G... But, I'm 6' 265lbs with a 42x30 jeans size. If Dale doesn't list the Brigadier, call him and see. He can do amazing stuff.

Jared
05-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Dark star made a universal 92 holster for me that I've put every Beretta I own in and they've all fit, rail or no rail, Brigadier slide or standard, and my railed compact. Ride height is adjustable. It's a LOT of AIWB holster for the money.

JV_
05-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Dark star made a universal 92 holster for me that I've put every Beretta I own in and they've all fit, rail or no rail, Brigadier slide or standard, and my railed compact. Ride height is adjustable. It's a LOT of AIWB holster for the money.

I've never used one of his larger holsters, but his J-Frame holsters are awesome. I've tried many other holsters, his are (by a wide margin) the best.

Robinson
05-01-2015, 08:14 AM
OP, I am somewhat in the same boat only with larger build -- but I went ahead and ordered a holster from JM Custom Kydex. It should arrive in a day or two -- I will post my experience here in a week or so.

Guinnessman
05-01-2015, 09:03 AM
VT,

I am 6'0" and 170 lbs, and carry a P30 in a JM Custom "George" with extra tuck. I cannot wear tight shirts and get away with carrying a P30, but loose fitting shirts are not a problem.

With a properly made holster, you will be surprised at how easily you can carry AIWB. Give it a try with a holster tailored to your needs.

JHC
05-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Ok me your address. I've got a JMCK AIWB I'll send you to try. It should work. I've had my Elite II in it before. Right handed, 1.5" hard loops. Extra tuck.

Take advantage of this Gardone.

Edwin
05-01-2015, 03:28 PM
I was wondering the same thing for my WC 92G Brig Tac when it comes in, but I'm a bit bigger at 6'7", 290lbs with a small gut. I fear it'll be worse than doing AIWB with my Hi Power.

Jared
05-01-2015, 03:48 PM
I've never used one of his larger holsters, but his J-Frame holsters are awesome. I've tried many other holsters, his are (by a wide margin) the best.

He worked his ass off on the three Beretta holsters he made for me. I genuinely got a LOT more than I asked for. My order was initially for two of his OWB holsters, one AIWB and one of his IWB kits, holsters sized to fit the Beretta 92A1 (which is a bit difficult to find holsters for). He e-mailed me back after short while mentioning that he was going to try to make it universal if I didn't mind the wait, so I agreed to let wait. Honestly, I was a little skeptical, but when I got the stuff I was blown away. I've converted one of the OWB holsters to IWB and carried with it. The other OWB I've used as a range holster at times. I haven't been able to use the AIWB as much as I'd hoped. I'm a bit......rounder than GardoneVT's dimensions, and I just can't stay comfortable with AIWB for really long periods of time.

Robinson
05-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Update -- I received my holsters today one of which is for my M9A1. The holster fits perfectly and is very well made. Based on a very short experiment I believe this will work just fine for me. It is actually quite comfortable while standing and walking, and is not bad at all when sitting. Mine has the split kydex loop attachment which allows me to place it so the two sides of the loop surround a belt loop.

Haraise
05-01-2015, 06:52 PM
I was wondering the same thing for my WC 92G Brig Tac when it comes in, but I'm a bit bigger at 6'7", 290lbs with a small gut. I fear it'll be worse than doing AIWB with my Hi Power.

Let us know if it's not worse... the 92 is a super fat gun and the Hi Power is about the slimmest thing out there. Don't see how it couldn't be worse.

YVK
05-01-2015, 11:49 PM

The 92 Beretta has a number of things going for it in regards to AIWB. If you can handle the weight and size, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Robinson
05-03-2015, 03:35 PM
After spending some more time with the M9A1 carried AIWB I will chime it with this: The gun carries nicely and conceals very well while standing and walking. Sitting up to a table, reaching to tie a shoe, things like that are a challenge. The weight is no problem, the grip is no problem, it's just the length that makes this option not so great while seated. Success probably depends on what activities you spend most of your time doing while carrying -- I really like it for concealment and ease of access. Whether that is enough to overcome the discomfort while sitting is an open question for me.

Edwin
05-04-2015, 12:22 PM
The 92 Beretta has a number of things going for it in regards to AIWB. If you can handle the weight and size, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'd love to know what they are. For now, I've got my compact Hi Power that's doing the job with eventual plans to get an alloy frame for it.

joshs
05-04-2015, 02:46 PM
I'd love to know what they are. For now, I've got my compact Hi Power that's doing the job with eventual plans to get an alloy frame for it.

1. External hammer for extra safety while holstering;
2. Longer, heavier first pull that decreases the chance of an ND while drawing;
3. Shorter grip relative to gun size, which many find to be the biggest impact on AIWB concealability;
4. Externally visible firing pin safety that allows verification that the FPS is in the down position; and
5. If you use an FS model, having the safety on while holstering adds an additional layer to what is already a very safe pistol because the safety completely deactivates the trigger and rolls the firing pin striker out of alignment with the firing pin and hammer.

ER_STL
05-04-2015, 03:12 PM
My $.02 - buy a cheap nylon holster and spend a few weeks carrying AIWB in a variety of circumstances (dinner, driving, etc). If it works for you then you can spend more money on a better holster.

When it comes to AIWB, the overall length of the gun does make a difference IMO. I can hide a G17 up front but I find a G19 more comfortable (and a G26 even more so).

Kyle Reese
05-04-2015, 03:21 PM
My $.02 - buy a cheap nylon holster and spend a few weeks carrying AIWB in a variety of circumstances (dinner, driving, etc). If it works for you then you can spend more money on a better holster.

I'd recommend against a sausage sack nylon holster for AIWB, especially with a SFA.

RevolverRob
05-04-2015, 04:05 PM
At minimum - minimum a straight drop kydex or leather holster can give you an idea on placement and if the carry method will work for you. Barring that, I think JMS' ideas on cutting up a straight drop kydex holster to play around with different ideas. Then find or have made a kydex holster that is more specifically designed (JM or DSG).

But I strongly suggest you take Lon up on his offer! I would.

-Rob

YVK
05-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Josh mentioned a couple. ## 1 and 2 on his lists are the reasons I only use TDA and LEM guns. As astutely noted in his #3, 92 has one of the shortest grips out of full sized guns out there. Combined with readily available flush fit metal mag base plates, it makes for a nice short full sized grip :).
Hammer and sights are worth additional mentioning. A D hammer fits flush with the back of a slide, reducing printing. The rear sight, which is one of most print-prone areas with AIWB, is relatively small and is offset forward relative to the back of the slide.

For me the full sized 92 prints less and conceals better than G19 or P30.

GardoneVT
05-04-2015, 08:15 PM
But I strongly suggest you take Lon up on his offer! I would.

-Rob

I've done just that. To be continued....

Lon
05-05-2015, 07:15 PM
The holster is on its way to Gardone. I'll throw the same offer to borrow it out to anyone who's thinking about AIWB with a Beretta. Just let me know and I'll have Gardone ship it to you when he's done with it instead of back to me. Kind of a pay it forward thing to the PF community. I'd rather it get used this way than just gather dust in my drawer.

GardoneVT
05-05-2015, 07:22 PM
The holster is on its way to Gardone. I'll throw the same offer to borrow it out to anyone who's thinking about AIWB with a Beretta. Just let me know and I'll have Gardone ship it to you when he's done with it instead of back to me. Kind of a pay it forward thing to the PF community. I'd rather it get used this way than just gather dust in my drawer.

Agreed .

breakingtime91
05-05-2015, 08:14 PM

class act Lon

Dave J
05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Just as a note for GardoneVT (and anyone else trying out the full size 92's in AIWB mode), I found that small changes to ride height and cant made for very large changes in comfort, much more so than what I've experienced with with the G17 or M&P FS. This was on a JMCK, so my point is not to give up immediately if it doesn't quite work the first time you try it on.

As with all things AIWB, your mileage may vary.