PDA

View Full Version : HD SBS Benelli Setup?

ASH556
04-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, I recently got the stamp back on a Benelli M1 entry. This is the 14" SBS and this particular one is a pre-ban HK import that's been sitting in the NFA cage new in box for the last decade+. Now that I have it in my possession I want to get it ready to go for HD. I've installed a Surefire forend and one of the later Benelli large triangular paddle-style safety buttons. This one has the rifle sights on the barrel and I've painted the front with some hi-vis yellow/green.

My main question at this point is ammo carriage. The idea is that if the fight is going to be outside/away from my house, then I'll grab my AR15 SBR, but for in the house, I believe in the single shot wounding capabilities of the 12ga. I've got Doc's recommended buck (LE1321B) and slug (PB127DPRS) loads on-hand. Should I do a side-saddle? I've got some velcro and one of the SKD shotgun cards on my 3gun shotgun that I could pull off and use on this. I've also seen the Mesa stock saddle that attaches to the sling tab in the Benelli stock. For those that have run these guns hard, what are my best bets for setup? Currently I just have it loaded with 5 + 1 + 1 of the #1 Flite Control buck (LE1321B).

Thanks for input/feedback!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8114_1.jpg

Peally
04-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Try one as a temporary fixture at first (AKA don't drill one into the frame). The M1 is sometimes a finicky thing the more weight you add to it.

If you do make a decision let us know how it goes, I pretty much have the 18 inch version of what you have minus the surefire and I'm curious as well.

ASH556
04-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Probably worth noting that I have another 21" Benelli M1 that I use to shoot 3gun and had setup as an HD shotgun before getting too deep into 3gun and buying the SBS for HD. In other words, I'm readily familiar with what cycles and works in them and the manual of arms. My question is more centered around how many rounds is a good rule of thumb to keep with on the gun (maybe none), slugs vs buck, and where/how to keep them?

As a slight side note, I've thought for awhile now that mounting a 3gun type caddy on the side of the receiver would allow for a much faster reload than one at a time from a side saddle. Any thoughts about that?

This kind:
http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/shotgun_items_12ga_tactical_strippers_6_shell.jpg

SamuelBLong
04-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Since you're using it for HD, as long as your gun patterns FC Buckshot well, I'd load it up with that, and load a Velcro card with buckshot.

It just depends on how tight it's shooting, and the distances you would encounter in your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck Whitlock
05-03-2015, 07:48 PM
I have the 18" version as well. As someone with T-rex arms, I really dig the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock:

http://mesatactical.com/products/category/urbino-pistol-grip-stocks/

As far as gun mounted ammo carriers, I've pondered if the juice is worth the squeeze WRT balance and handling characteristics. I haven't been able to do a lot of work with them.

GJM
05-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I have a different take on a 14 inch set-up. My use is carrying in the field, loaded primarily with slugs, and isn't to suggest your approach is wrong for your use.

I like the Benelli Comfertech stock, in the shorter compact length, and the forearm drilled for a small piece of rail, for a Surefire Scout light. This gives me a lighter weight shotgun for carrying, since I only add the light when it gets dark. I also prefer the shorter length LOP straight stock, for fast handling, and not having the pistol grip bang on me when carrying it.

I use a Raven velcro side saddle, but only carry two extra shot shells there, a rubber bullet projectile and a 7.5 high base birdshot. That gives me the option of shooting a rubber bullet to deter a bear, and the shot to harvest a bird. I carry extra slugs on my belt in a Wilderness carrier.

Most often, I plan that my pistol is my reload, but I have different projectiles available on the side saddle and more slugs on my belt if circumstances allow, once the dust settles.

For your home defense role, I would have a quick fastening belt available with my pistol holster, extra shotgun ammo, an AR magazine and a Surefire. Probably amplified hearing pro, too, especially with the short barrel shotty.

Cookie Monster
05-04-2015, 01:18 AM
I could be doing it wrong but my home defense shotgun/vehicle gun is loaded with 6 and in condition 3 (no round in chamber). If I need more than 6 shells of buckshot to solve a problem or be able to run away, I am having a really bad day.

Seen sidesaddles be quick and effective for loading more rounds.

Cookie Monster

ASH556
05-04-2015, 07:30 AM
So I patterned the 14" barrel with the #1 FC load this weekend and wow, that 4.5" of barrel makes a huge difference! Here's the #1 FC load through my former 18.5" setup @ 25 yds:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20130824_201119.jpg

And then 2 rounds (I couldn't believe the spread, thought it was a fluke so I fired a second round) of the exact same #1 FC load through the 14" gun @ 25yds:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1564.jpg

By contrast, though, at 10 yards the FC load is pretty much a slug out of the 14" gun:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1565_1.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1566.jpg

Part of me thinks that in absence of a useful pattern, or rather, the sporadic nature of the patterns being produced by the 14" barrel, that I might be better served by loading all slugs. Inside 10 yds, the buckshot is acting like a slug anyway and beyond 20 yards, the slug would probably be a lower liability vs that massive pattern and the possibility of an errant pellet with the buck load.

Additional thoughts? I live in a subdivision in a rural area. 1 acre lots, but houses are still probably only 15-25 yds apart. The obvious concern with the slug is overpenetration. I suppose that even if the buck load acts like a slug up close, it still has reduced mass and therefore lower (over)penetration capabilities.

GJM
05-04-2015, 07:53 AM
I primarily run Brenneke slugs, but I have a different use.

I don't think slugs are a great primary load for you, because of where you live. And, if you use slugs anyway, you end up with a low capacity firearm, that recoils a lot, and is less desirable than your AR. Since the reason you have a shotgun is pattern, I would try a variety of different loads, and see how they work in your barrel. I have had good luck with Remington LE 8 pellet buck in a number of my 14 inch 870 shotguns. If none work, I would consider another barrel, either 14 or longer. With the inertia system, I believe you can cut down barrels without worrying about function the same as with a system like the 11-87.

Chuck Whitlock
05-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Before giving up on BS, I would try some different loads. While #1B is the hotness, if it doesn't pattern in your shotty, then it doesn't. There are a plethora of 00B to try out. I would try a few of the Federal Flite-Control and the Hornady offerings, among others.

ASH556
05-04-2015, 10:10 AM
I do have some of the 00 FC on hand that I could try. What should the goal be for BC patterning at what distance? Is there a standard?

Chuck Whitlock
05-04-2015, 10:22 AM
I do have some of the 00 FC on hand that I could try. What should the goal be for BC patterning at what distance? Is there a standard?

I'm certainly no expert, but generally tighter is better. Having said that, this is your HD setup for your locale, so whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. The 1B from your longer barrel did, the 1B from the 14" did not.

ASH556
05-04-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm certainly no expert, but generally tighter is better. Having said that, this is your HD setup for your locale, so whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. The 1B from your longer barrel did, the 1B from the 14" did not.

See, that's what I'm wondering. Maybe my fuzzy or lack thereof was wrong. For my house, the longest shot possible is probably 10-15 yards. The #1 load is probably working pretty well for that distance. Do I need a setup that will pattern buck inside 3" @ 25yds? I'm thinking not. If the fight is known to be outside the house then grab a rifle. If the fight moves from inside to outside (BG fleeing with child/wife or something) then a slug selected from the side saddle should address that, right? Am I thinking about this all wrong? The problem here is I don't know what I don't know and with patrol carbines being more common/popular, there's not a lot of good shotgun info out there that I can find.

JodyH
05-04-2015, 12:10 PM
I treat my shotgun like a two handed pistol that shoots 8 projectiles per trigger press instead of 1.
If my 20 yard pistol "Bill Drill" group size is 8" (IDPA -0), then I expect the same or better from my shotgun pattern at that range.

I wouldn't get too wound up over a few #1B pellets missing and going downrange, out of a 14" barrel those pellets are going to shed velocity and energy really quickly.

In for the usual "lawyer attached to every missed shot" banter...

Super J
05-14-2015, 02:43 PM
So I patterned the 14" barrel with the #1 FC load this weekend and wow, that 4.5" of barrel makes a huge difference! Here's the #1 FC load through my former 18.5" setup @ 25 yds:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20130824_201119.jpg

And then 2 rounds (I couldn't believe the spread, thought it was a fluke so I fired a second round) of the exact same #1 FC load through the 14" gun @ 25yds:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1564.jpg

By contrast, though, at 10 yards the FC load is pretty much a slug out of the 14" gun:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1565_1.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1566.jpg

Part of me thinks that in absence of a useful pattern, or rather, the sporadic nature of the patterns being produced by the 14" barrel, that I might be better served by loading all slugs. Inside 10 yds, the buckshot is acting like a slug anyway and beyond 20 yards, the slug would probably be a lower liability vs that massive pattern and the possibility of an errant pellet with the buck load.

Additional thoughts? I live in a subdivision in a rural area. 1 acre lots, but houses are still probably only 15-25 yds apart. The obvious concern with the slug is overpenetration. I suppose that even if the buck load acts like a slug up close, it still has reduced mass and therefore lower (over)penetration capabilities.

What choke are you using?

JodyH
05-14-2015, 04:18 PM
I was patterning some FC #00 (LE13300) through my 18.5" M4 at 20 and 30 yards yesterday.
At 20Y all pellets were in the upper 1/2 of an IPSC A zone (6" x 6").
At 30Y I was getting 5-6 pellets in the upper A and 2-3 pellets 1" or so into the C and lower A (probably around an 8"-10" group).
One surprise was the Winchester Military #00, it's usually horrible but even at 30Y all pellets were inside the C zone on a IPSC target.

JJN
03-23-2021, 05:20 PM
If anyone in the SW Ohio area is interested, they had two SBS Benelli's at the AIM Surplus showroom in Monroe as of 3:30 this afternoon. $649 with rifle sights, one with PG stock one with standard stock, both with old-style Surefire forends. Not sure if they were M1s or M2s.

Lester Polfus
03-23-2021, 06:42 PM
I treat my shotgun like a two handed pistol that shoots 8 projectiles per trigger press instead of 1.
If my 20 yard pistol "Bill Drill" group size is 8" (IDPA -0), then I expect the same or better from my shotgun pattern at that range.

I wouldn't get too wound up over a few #1B (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1B) pellets missing and going downrange, out of a 14" barrel those pellets are going to shed velocity and energy really quickly.

In for the usual "lawyer attached to every missed shot" banter...

In an urban/suburban environment, I'd rather have a piece of #1 buck go astray than a 1oz slug that goes through All The Things.