PDA

View Full Version : New Browning Hi-Power...new problems

JSGlock34
04-19-2015, 12:57 PM
I recently picked up a NOS Browning Hi-Power Practical. Pretty pistol. Had limited time to put the first rounds through it today - loaded up four Mec-Gar 13 round magazines and headed to the range.

On each magazine, the slide would lock back after firing the first 1-2 rounds (with 11-12 rounds remaining in the magazine). This occurred with every magazine. The magazines would correctly lock the slide back to the rear when empty. I checked my grip to ensure I was not accidentally activating the slide release on a full magazine; not a grip issue. It always occurred with the first few rounds out of the magazine - never half loaded.

Any ideas? Could rounds in the fully loaded magazines somehow be contacting the slide release and activating it?

WilsonCombatRep
04-19-2015, 05:43 PM
I recently picked up a NOS Browning Hi-Power Practical. Pretty pistol. Had limited time to put the first rounds through it today - loaded up four Mec-Gar 13 round magazines and headed to the range.

On each magazine, the slide would lock back after firing the first 1-2 rounds (with 11-12 rounds remaining in the magazine). This occurred with every magazine. The magazines would correctly lock the slide back to the rear when empty. I checked my grip to ensure I was not accidentally activating the slide release on a full magazine; not a grip issue. It always occurred with the first few rounds out of the magazine - never half loaded.

Any ideas? Could rounds in the fully loaded magazines somehow be contacting the slide release and activating it?

The slide stop detent is on the recoil spring guide-make sure it is working.

Trooper224
04-20-2015, 02:43 AM
The slide stop detent is on the recoil spring guide-make sure it is working.

Also, make sure you don't have the guide rod installed upside down, thereby negating the detent..

JSGlock34
04-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. I checked the detent on the recoil spring guide - it appears to be functioning properly. Good to know that you can assemble the BHP improperly - I field stripped it to look to see if ammunition could contact the slide stop, but checking the orientation of the guide rod did not occur to me at the time, so I have no idea if that was a possibility when I fired it over the weekend.

KevinB
04-21-2015, 10:51 AM
I had to file two Megar mags I have for the BHP - I got them in 2000'ish - old 10rd mags - they had the same issue.

The front of the mag was slightly too high - and the notch they cut for the slide stop was also out of spec. Took some time, to fit correctly not sure if they still have those issues.

Easy enough to check for though -- take the slide off the gun, but the slide stop back in and fit a mag with a few rounds -- see if the mag body presses on the slide stop when it should not.

JSGlock34
04-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Doesn't appear to be the mag body. I'm starting to focus on the slide stop though. When the rounds are at the back of the magazine, I see no problems, but if I edge the top round towards the front of the magazine body I can create a situation where the round just contacts the slide stop lever. I'm wondering if this is happening under recoil forces. I'm tempted to file back the slide stop a touch, but I'm going to head back to the range and try to replicate the issue before I start grinding on anything.

KevinB
04-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Do you have any non Megar mags? I have some old Canadian Forces Inglis mags - if you want I can mail you one or two to check if its a mag dimension issue

LSP972
04-22-2015, 03:45 PM
... Inglis mags ...

The ones with the spring-clip floorplate and aluminum followers, that hold 14 rounds? I had some of those; and had fun with them. WAY back in the day, I shot with a group whose unofficial "leader" hated 9mm pistols in general, and P-35s in particular. We took turns putting together little tactical courses; he would always make his exactly fifteen rounds, to thwart the few of us using P-35s and force a reload.

Boy, did he get a surprise the first time I used one of those Inglis magazines…:D

JSGlock34
04-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Kevin - thanks for the offer. Let me get the BHP out to the range one more time to take a closer look at the problem before I put you through the trouble.

KevinB
04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
The ones with the spring-clip floorplate and aluminum followers, that hold 14 rounds?

Yup those -- according to the Canadian Forces they are a 13rd mag -- but all mine held 14 if you wanted them too.

I suspect with some work to the follower one could make it a true 15rd mag.

rathos
04-25-2015, 02:07 AM
do you shoot high thumb or thumbs forward? I have always shot like this and had the same issues you are describing with my hi power which eventually lead me to sell it.

CSW
04-26-2015, 03:14 PM
do you shoot high thumb or thumbs forward? I have always shot like this and had the same issues you are describing with my hi power which eventually lead me to sell it.

This was going to be my question. Is there any way that you may be engaging the stop with the way your hands are riding past the slide stop?
Being lefty, I don't have those worries, but a bud shot my FEG clone, and experienced the very same thing you describe, because of his support hand and recoil.

JSGlock34
04-26-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm confident it isn't a grip issue. I tried shooting strong hand only and the problem persisted.