PDA

View Full Version : Okay..let's talk about S&W Bodyguards

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 12:03 AM
First..not the crappy new ones, but the "unique looking" (code word for some people that think they are ugly) ones. I have always loved the things, and I don't know why. Realistically, the "42" guns make more sense in terms of functioning in the deep concealment role. The Bodyguards always got tons of lint and pocket crap in them, where the Internal hammer guns don't. I tend to use the internal hammer guns for most of my BUG revolver needs, but I still really like the Bodyguards. I have several and the first J frame I ever owned was a 649.

I have gotten the bodyguard bug again and recently grabbed a couple. So now I am on a little quest. I have been thinking about a good J frame for primary carry in a couple scenarios. While the 640 Pro makes the most sense, I have been thinking about trying to track down a 649-3. I really like this variant with a 2" barrel to better anchor it in appendix, the newer style cylinder release and no lock or MIM stuff ( although my guns with MIM parts have been really pretty good). So, does anyone have any experience with the 649-3 and likes, dislikes, or thoughts.

Of course.....a picture of my newest one. Model 38 Nickel with Cocobolo Spegel's.

LSP972
04-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Not sure what exact commentary you're looking for?

I bought a post-'95 638 for daughter #2. Its unremarkable; a bit bigger and heavier than the beauty pictured above, has .357 capability... and anything of fairly recent production is going to have MIM parts. But like you said, those are fine, if not aesthetically pleasing.

That said... if I was looking at it from a primary/belt gun standpoint, I would definitely go with the all-steel example and probably load it with medium-weight-bullet magnums; because blast & flash = disorientation on the muzzle side.

Working in occupied territory again, are you?

Lyonsgrid
04-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Det. Tubbs always approved of the model 38

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Not sure what exact commentary you're looking for?

I bought a post-'95 638 for daughter #2. Its unremarkable; a bit bigger and heavier than the beauty pictured above, has .357 capability... and anything of fairly recent production is going to have MIM parts. But like you said, those are fine, if not aesthetically pleasing.

That said... if I was looking at it from a primary/belt gun standpoint, I would definitely go with the all-steel example and probably load it with medium-weight-bullet magnums; because blast & flash = disorientation on the muzzle side.

Working in occupied territory again, are you?

Yep. I have been looking at lots of revolver options. Was going to go full Hizzie with the Rugers, but I was only able to get my creds set up for S&W in .38/.357.

Also, part of the portion of the Revolver Round Up will be use of the snub as a primary. Something I really don't do, so I have had to really put some thought to what the best route would be. On paper...640 Pro, but like I said I have a weird love for the humpbacks, so the 649-3 seems to be the hot ticket.

Lyonsgrid, I think this guy has been the one who got me on the Bodyguard thing.

LSP972
04-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Yeah, well, you managed to schedule the Round-Up on the same week-end my youngest daughter is getting married. I are severely pissed...;)

Primary/belt carry opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities; mainly, the use of a GOOD set of stocks. With some Pachmyar Compacs on that puppy, and the SA capability, an across-the-parking-lot shot suddenly doesn't seem so daunting...

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Yeah, well, you managed to schedule the Round-Up on the same week-end my youngest daughter is getting married. I are severely pissed...;)

Primary/belt carry opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities; mainly, the use of a GOOD set of stocks. With some Pachmyar Compacs on that puppy, and the SA capability, an across-the-parking-lot shot suddenly doesn't seem so daunting...

Nope.....Smooth Cocobolo Spegel boot grips, because of standards;). I am actually looking at a good micro fanny pack, deep front AIWB or IWB as far as carry. If it's going on a belt, I would likely go to a K frame.

MGW
04-16-2015, 12:01 PM
I didn't know about 649's so made a trip to Google. I understand the appeal now. Following this to see where it goes.

LSP972
04-16-2015, 01:51 PM
If it's going on a belt, I would likely go to a K frame.

That would be my choice; I assumed incorrectly.

Dunno if I would go the fag bag route, though; because... well, you know.:p

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 03:14 PM
I might be a FAG (former action guy), but at least I was an action guy at one point in life. I still love the fanny pack:cool:.

LSP972
04-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Cool.

Although if I ever see you in a Shoot-Me-First vest, I be worried…;)

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Cool.

Although if I ever see you in a Shoot-Me-First vest, I be worried…;)

I spent a year on a detail in both a shoot me vest to conceal my 1911 in a Sparks 1AT and wore a fanny pack with a Glock 17 and a 30 round spare. My partner had a vest too....:cool:

SAWBONES
04-16-2015, 07:37 PM
My 649-2 Bodyguard is definitely my favorite J-frame, of the eleven I own.

Solid stainless steel, dedicated .38 Special (does anybody really want to shoot .357 Magnum in a J-frame, or can anybody shoot .357 Magnum accurately and quickly from a J-frame?), easy to carry, pretty easy to shoot, points naturally, never malfunctions.

Long distance accuracy and precision? Not in my hands.
Speedy reloads? Not in my hands.

Still, a great little CCW revolver under certain conditions and in some circumstances. Love the humpbacks!

LSP972
04-16-2015, 08:21 PM
I spent a year on a detail in both a shoot me vest to conceal my 1911 in a Sparks 1AT and wore a fanny pack with a Glock 17 and a 30 round spare.

Another icon falls… sigh.:eek:

LSP552
04-16-2015, 09:13 PM
I owned and carried real Bodyguards for MANY years. I've had 38s, 49s, 649s and carried them working undercover where being caught with a real gun would have been unwise.

It pains me to say they are all gone, liquidated in various moments of stupidity. My 642s & 442s are better pocket guns but they just lack the Bodyguard's style. I'd be all over a new production no-lock 638.

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 10:04 PM
Another icon falls… sigh.:eek:

I have some pretty good stories from that detail. In regards to what we wore. We pull into a 24 hour CVS in our issue black SUV to get some medicine in a shitty part of San Bernardino (led the nation at some point in per capita homicides). A couple black paroles are hanging out in front of the store. When we got out the just sighed and walked over and grabbed the wall and spread eagle to get patted down. Funny stuff. We were not trying to be discrete, and it was obvious that the two white guys in the ghetto at 2 AM with vests and fanny packs (black Eagle packs no less) were armed and not to be trifled with or to beg change off of.

Dagga Boy
04-16-2015, 11:15 PM
My favorite "Bodyguard" wear was actually my Duluth chore coat. Had a custom made pocket holster for a P7 made for it. I was always the guy who looked like I was a maintenance guy who talked to people with his hands in his pocket.......the "bodyguards" wore 5.11's and looked nervous and fidgety:cool:.

Here is my 49-2 I just inherited. The Ahrends grips are really neat. They look kind of weird, but when you extend the gun with one hand, that Model 49 feels like an extension of the hand. This gun is getting paired up with a model 13-2 3" that I have matching grips on order for. This is a duplicate of my first off-duty guns when I first started as a cop.

Normally, j frames are not my "thing". Since deciding to get back into my love of fighting revolvers as my mid-life crisis and a means to really enjoy guns again, I have also been acquiring some more J frames again. Back in the "revolver days" when we worked heavy details and were actively hunting bad guys, we tended to carry a good primary revolver and "speedloaders" were actually a couple of snubs. It is always fun having "Retro Mike" around as he still lives this.

The 49-2:

ACP230
04-16-2015, 11:26 PM
My first one was an M49. My older son has it now and doesn't use it at all, as far as I can tell.

Then bought a 649-2 and a 649. And, later, an M38. That's an interesting one. It's got an alloy frame and a
stainless cylinder. Smith made up an order like that in the 1970s for the Michigan State Police. The cops were
pocket carrying them and rusting the regular steel cylinders. They are using something different now and the
M38s were surplused out in the early 1990s, if I recall correctly.

Never found a 649-3. I'd probably own it if I had. They are my favorite snubnoses.
Shot the 649s all the way out to 50 yards and, occasionally, 100. I can make a paper silhouette
nervous at 100, and do better than that at 50. All the "two car lengths" talk on various sites
amuses me when it isn't making me cranky.

My 649-2 shoots best with factory and reloads. The 649 is next. The M38 isn't as accurate but carries most easily.

LSP972
04-17-2015, 07:26 AM
That's an interesting one. It's got an alloy frame and a
stainless cylinder. Smith made up an order like that in the 1970s for the Michigan State Police. The cops were
pocket carrying them and rusting the regular steel cylinders.

Those were called "pinto"; never heard why, exactly, but the blued/anodized frame and barrel with white stainless cylinder was made in several different combinations back then.

Additionally, back then MSP had a neat innovation that I would implement for our guys if I was king. Their uniform trousers had leather-lined front pockets, the purpose being so that a trooper could keep his issue J frame in one of his front pockets for quick access. When I first heard of this, back when I was running our FTU in the 90's, I floated the subject with the Deputy Superintendent; he told me to look into it and get some prices. At that time, the vendor for our Class A uniform was the Fecheimer (sp?) company, and the price they quoted for a quantity of our wool blend trousers with black leather lining on both front pockets was positively frightful. I didn't bother to bring it back to the #2 guy; he was quite the practical fellow when it came to spending the department's money, and would have had me committed, as LSP552 would verify.

Its a fabulous concept. But I called the MSP FTU and spoke with an old-timer who remembered that practice; he said they quit doing it because of the cost of the trousers.

Frigging bean counters will be the death of us all...

LSP972
04-17-2015, 07:31 AM
The Ahrends grips are really neat.

Indeed they are; the way they narrow towards the bottom in both dimensions makes for added comfort and concealability when pocket carried. IMO, only the Spegels "shoot" better when we're talking about proper concealed stocks.

I have three pair; one on my EDC 360PD, one on the spare EDC 342, and one on the practice 640.

Dagga Boy
04-17-2015, 08:13 AM
I am with you on the Spegels. I am at the point of really liking Nill's, Ahrends and the VZ's on my shooting guns, and the Spegels for concealment small guns. Took a gigantic box of grips to figure this out over twenty years. I still like rubber on some of my big bore magnums, but my hands have told my brain to stop shooting them.

Mike Pipes
04-17-2015, 09:36 AM
http://s16.postimg.org/kz885cw4l/photo_1.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/f9bek1ne3/photo_2.jpg

36 NO DASH,BIANCHI CLIP HOLSTER CARRIED AT 1:30 WHEN PRIMARY. 125 GR NYCLAD HP.RELOADS ARE OTHER J'S AND SPEED STRIPS. YES IT IS HARD TO REHOLSTER BUT I FIGER WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE I WILL DROP IT AND GET ANOTHER................CYA RETRO

Sorry about caps and fat fingered numbers...it is a Mdl 38 not 36

Malamute
04-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Additionally, back then MSP had a neat innovation that I would implement for our guys if I was king. Their uniform trousers had leather-lined front pockets, the purpose being so that a trooper could keep his issue J frame in one of his front pockets for quick access.

Its a fabulous concept. But I called the MSP FTU and spoke with an old-timer who remembered that practice; he said they quit doing it because of the cost of the trousers.

I recalled reading long ago about frontier days guys having canvas linings put in their pockets for carrying. I bought some heavy canvas from a local tent maker and am looking into how to line the pocket with it. I've repaired the pockets in my carhartts several times from the front sight wearing through.

LSP972
04-17-2015, 09:58 AM
I recalled reading long ago about frontier days guys having canvas linings put in their pockets for carrying. I bought some heavy canvas from a local tent maker and am looking into how to line the pocket with it. I've repaired the pockets in my carhartts several times from the front sight wearing through.

Yes, there really is not much "new under the sun" in this game; just refinements to already-tried ideas.

SamAdams
04-20-2015, 03:00 PM
I'd be all over a new production no-lock 638.

+1

I'm a big fan of the Bodyguard. - O.K. being able to shoot single action when distances are longer has its appeal to me.
I even considered getting a new 638, removing the lock, and putting The PLUG in. But, last I heard, the fellow making the plug has medical problems and isnt selling them now. I didnt look further into
the reliability of the part after hearing this.

LSP972
04-20-2015, 08:27 PM
+1

I'm a big fan of the Bodyguard. - O.K. being able to shoot single action when distances are longer has its appeal to me.
I even considered getting a new 638, removing the lock, and putting The PLUG in. But, last I heard, the fellow making the plug has medical problems and isnt selling them now. I didnt look further into
the reliability of the part after hearing this.

Sorry to hear that… The Plug works like a champ.

But there is another way to deactivate that Satan's spawn lock without any potential for down-the-road disaster… IF you are comfortable detail-stripping a J frame.

SamAdams
04-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear that… The Plug works like a champ.

But there is another way to deactivate that Satan's spawn lock without any potential for down-the-road disaster… IF you are comfortable detail-stripping a J frame.

Ive watched this YouTube video quite a few times. Very good indtructions for lock removal. It would be nice if The Plug was still available. But I wouldnt have a problem with opening up the gun and taking out the lock. As long as I went at it slowly, - step by step.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Hambo
04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
http://s16.postimg.org/kz885cw4l/photo_1.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/f9bek1ne3/photo_2.jpg

Sweet. My first J frame was a stainless Bodyguard and I promptly ordered a T grip adapter for it. 1980's cool was an L frame and a J frame combo.

LSP972
04-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Ive watched this YouTube video quite a few times. Very good indtructions for lock removal. It would be nice if The Plug was still available. But I wouldnt have a problem with opening up the gun and taking out the lock. As long as I went at it slowly, - step by step.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Yes, but that dude makes THE classic mistake- he just removes the flag and re-assembles the action parts. What that does is set you up for disaster, because now you have created a 1.5mm gap (the width of the flag) between the hammer and the remaining lock mechansim.

I know, because I did the same thing. Five years and several thousand rounds later, that remaining cylindrical lock mechanism got jarred loose from recoil and fell in against the hammer; effectively locking the gun up as tight as if the lock was engaged.

What you need to do is grind that cylindrical nub on the flag (the part that engages the hammer) off and put the flag back in place.

JodyH
04-21-2015, 09:08 AM
On my 360 I removed all the lock parts and just have an open hole where the lock used to be. So far it hasn't been a problem other than I clean the guts twice a year instead of once with my 442/plug.

SamAdams
04-21-2015, 10:39 AM
@LSP962 & JodyH - thanks guys ! Good info to know - take care of the whole thing, not just part of it.

Dagga Boy
06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Picked up a grail....Pre Model 38 Bodyguard from 1957 with period correct aged Sanbar Stags. Gun was originally shipped to Jovino's in NY city. The thing is pristine and beautiful.

LSP972
06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I just had a sad… wondering how many PF'ers, upon reading the thread title prior to opening it, thought it referred to those two TOTAL abortions now bearing the BodyGuard label???:(

DB, you GOTS ta put a Pachmyar grip adapter on that puppy.

okie john
06-09-2015, 07:16 PM
I used to have a blued Model 49. With 125-grain Silvertips, it was one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever owned. Today I just have one. It has a dark alloy frame and a blued cylinder and barrel. Not sure which model it is, but knowing that I can shoot through a pocket or cock the hammer if I need to is a big plus.

Okie John

Dagga Boy
06-09-2015, 08:03 PM
I just had a sad… wondering how many PF'ers, upon reading the thread title prior to opening it, thought it referred to those two TOTAL abortions now bearing the BodyGuard label???:(

DB, you GOTS ta put a Pachmyar grip adapter on that puppy.

I don't even acknowledge the existence of those other things. Now as far as the grip adaptor...not a chance. This thing will likely never get shot. I don't want to take any chance with the grips or the gun.

Now, this one is going to be a lifetime shooter and carry gun. 649-3 with high horn Cocobolo Spegals. I figure it is going to make a great robe pocket gun when the twin Columbian nurses take me for my sponge bath at the retirement home....well that is the plan. It is a great gun for when I shouldn't need a gun. Stuff like this, and my newly acquired Detective Special and Cobra are good snubs for those times when the snub is carried as a primary.

StraitR
06-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Nyeti, that 38 is gorgeous. Congrats, and enjoy it in good health.

Here is my no-lock 638 that I've had for about 5 years. I'm quite fond of it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/501/17949231384_e3b3fcc8db_c.jpg

Malamute
06-09-2015, 11:15 PM

I'm one of the ones stuck way behind. I see Bodyguard and think "ooh, Bodyguard", then see what theyre talking about, and am going "wtf?"

DB, great 38. I like your idea about the nursing home. Colt DA's would be great robe guns. I had a nice nickle one I traded away,....

LSP972
06-10-2015, 05:19 AM
I figure it is going to make a great robe pocket gun when the twin Columbian nurses take me for my sponge bath at the retirement home....

Nah… too heavy for that. You need a 342 for those duties. I have actually used mine for a "robe pocket carry"; hardly any pocket sag at all. That heavy-ass, all-steel "magnum frame" example, OTOH… unless, of course, your robe has leather-lined pockets...:cool:

Dagga Boy
06-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Nah… too heavy for that. You need a 342 for those duties. I have actually used mine for a "robe pocket carry"; hardly any pocket sag at all. That heavy-ass, all-steel "magnum frame" example, OTOH… unless, of course, your robe has leather-lined pockets...:cool:

Yea, thought about that last night. The Cobra would be a better robe gun...:cool:

Lost River
06-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Yea, thought about that last night. The Cobra would be a better robe gun...:cool:

There is a great joke hidden somewhere in there....

Dagga Boy
06-11-2015, 08:16 AM
There is a great joke hidden somewhere in there....

I plan on being the dirty old man at the retirement home. Trust me, asking the Columbian twin nurses if they want to see my Cobra will likely get used.

camsdaddy
06-11-2015, 08:38 AM
The only firearm my grandfather ever owned for defense was a S&W model 49. The first J frame I owned was a model 38. I sometimes regret selling it but I prefer the wider front blade on the newer models. The other benefit to the bodyguard over the centennial versions is leverage of the hump during a gun grab.

Dagga Boy
06-11-2015, 10:24 AM
My first snub was a 649. I have weird emotional attachment to them. They are ugly in a cool way, but I also find that they tend to sit properly in a pocket better than anything else. The Centennials are better at not being pocket lint collectors, but they still don't sit as good as the bodyguard.

deputyG23
06-27-2015, 07:25 PM
A blue Model 38 was my first S&W J-frame. Carried it off duty for a few years until all revolvers were disallowed by my work in the early '90s. Sold it to my nephew who is the Sheriff in a SW VA county who carries it as a BUG/off duty gun. My work still disallows revolvers so I got a state CWP so I can carry them on my own time. Bought a new 442 a couple of years ago and started missing the old Bodyguard. My next J-frame will definitely be one.

LSP972
06-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Carried it off duty for a few years until all revolvers were disallowed by my work in the early '90s.

Curious as to what agency and the given reason why.

Unless you are an FBI agent; in which case, I know why.

Then again, it was much later than the early 90s when the Bureau banned all revolvers, so…

SLG
06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Nyeti,

As usual, those are some beautiful guns. I was taught to shoot revolvers on a 49, and have always loved them. That said, I'm one of those weird guys who likes DA triggers, revolver or auto, and can't find a downside to the Centennial's. I've won money shooting them at 50 yards, and would have no problem using them at distance if reality required it. Like someone posted above, I really prefer the better sights that come on them now, but for looks, nothing beats those older guns. Blue steel and stag is very classy.

abu fitna
06-28-2015, 08:03 PM
First..not the crappy new ones,

While they lack all grace, refinement, or pride of ownership, I actually have had acceptable results with one of the new polymer BG 38's. Surprisingly, despite a terrible feel to the trigger the thing actually runs better than a new no lock M&P 340 that it served as back up to at a recent multi day snub class. The worthless laser got pulled off right away, but didn't even mess with the stocks and found them usable. Weapon has probably almost 1200 rounds on it now (with cleaning, did not try it for the 2K endurance test). Less abusive to the hand while almost the same weight - perhaps that rumoured polymer flex characteristic, though I don't know if that is actually the dynamic at work here or not.

It defies everything I would have expected, and everything that I wanted to think about the abomination against tradition. The cheap looking and feeling plastic is still nothing like the pretty BBQ J frames that everyone so loves - but mine are always working guns, and I generally don't care how they look at the end of the day as long as they run hard and without hesitation. (Though was slightly annoyed by the start of corrosion on the edge of the M&P 340 frame in less than a week from where I had bled on it constantly after it opened up my knuckles after the first high round count class day.)

Dagga Boy
06-28-2015, 09:24 PM
I just wished they had given it some numerical name and not something that has such a storied history from the days before model numbers existed.

abu fitna
06-28-2015, 09:43 PM
I just wished they had given it some numerical name and not something that has such a storied history from the days before model numbers existed.

I don't disagree at all. Cannibalizing one's core brand equities for a low end new product launch is always a bad idea. And it is brand loyalty built by those who can tell the difference that makes for future chapters in that history. But marketing majors are never the brightest bulbs, and executives that live in place where gun rights have almost been extinguished likely know or care little about the meaning such history has for the rest of us.

LSP972
06-29-2015, 07:07 AM
While they lack all grace, refinement, or pride of ownership, I actually have had acceptable results with one of the new polymer BG 38's.

That's... disturbing...;)