PDA

View Full Version : S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman

TxShooter
04-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Looking through some of the threads here made me dig out a photo of a "project" gun that's never quite gotten off the ground. A few years ago I found this Model of 1950 .38/44 Outdoorsman at a small shop in Tyler, Texas. I was looking for a 4" M19 at the time...and I'm still looking. Someone cut the 6.5" barrel down to an even 4" for holster use. The Patridge front sight was reshaped into a ramp and pinned back into place. Unfortunately there's a slight gap between the barrel rib and sight base...if I had to guess the grooved rib wasn't milled flat prior to the sight being attached. I've since located a replacement Baughman ramp, but for various reasons never got around to getting it installed.

I've replaced the missing thumbpiece nut. The action needs a checkup...the cylinder stops just shy of full lockup when cocked slowly and the it starts to bind badly after approximately 100 rounds have been fired. When I do finally get it looked at I'll have the serrated trigger replaced with a smooth one.

I've always been curious why someone would cut down an Outdoorsman from that time frame instead of just buying a 4" Combat Masterpiece or Highway Patrolman.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/TxShooter225/Guns/DSCF0298.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/TxShooter225/Guns/DSCF0297.jpg

Jim Watson
04-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Skeeter Skelton wrote that .357 Magnums were scarce and expensive in those days. He searched for one and grudgingly paid for it, but used a Heavy Duty for spare and backup. With his extra heavy .38 loads, of course.

SamAdams
04-15-2015, 06:41 PM
A tear always comes to my eye when I see one of those. :( I closely followed an auction for one and bid just before it closed. Got up super early so I could do so. - I placed the highest bid but it was rejected. Someone else got it. I emailed the guy later and he said he didnt sell to buyers in CA. I replied that I wasnt in CA and told him how much more he would have gotten from me for his gun - several hundred dollars.
It would've been a heckuva bargain for a very nice 38/44. When I see them at their usual prices, I just can't justify the money since I have plenty of other guns that will do the same job, including N frame 357s. Oh well, one of the many that got away. And now I focus more on practical users rather than on collectors

Jason Burton
04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Cool gun...

okie john
04-20-2015, 01:08 PM
I've always been curious why someone would cut down an Outdoorsman from that time frame instead of just buying a 4" Combat Masterpiece or Highway Patrolman.

If you already own the Outdoorsman or you inherit it, then it makes financial sense.

Okie John