PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you have to practice in Federal Law enforcement?

Glenn E. Meyer
04-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Strange question. Talking to a mom whose child (obviously a grown up) is in Federal law enforcement. Mom says the child has to practice shooting twice a week. We were talking firearms and choices.

That seemed excessive to me. Is this true? I know the child and that person is extremely competent and might do it on their own. But Mom said the child had to. Hun? :confused: The child lives far away so I didn't ask said child.

Just curious

Jackdog
04-11-2015, 09:02 PM
What agency? My field office we shoot monthly as part of required training. The "had to" may be personal choice and he just tells mom that as justification for the cost.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-11-2015, 09:11 PM
I don't want to be mysterious but it's one of the major ones. Not my place to say too many details. So am I paranoid? I thought it might be voluntary.

BehindBlueI's
04-11-2015, 11:41 PM
I don't want to be mysterious but it's one of the major ones. Not my place to say too many details. So am I paranoid? I thought it might be voluntary.

The fact the agency exists isn't a secret and the fact is has employees is also not a secret. No need to be secret squirrel. I can't answer your question regardless, but if you really want it answered you'll need to name the agency.

In my little non-fed world I *can* shoot once a week at our facilities with them providing the ammo. I *have* to shoot 3 times a year, sometimes 4, either way adding up to 24 hours (some years we do two half days and two full days, most years we do three full days). People who are not rifle qualified go one less time per year.

SLG
04-12-2015, 07:17 AM
What agency?

I HAVE to practice everyday, but my agency doesn't agree:-)

Glenn E. Meyer
04-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Oh, ok - FBI. I guess I was been silly.

SLG
04-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Oh, ok - FBI. I guess I was been silly.

Unless he's assigned to HRT, no. Even then, scheduling might be more sporadic than that.

Hambo
04-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I hope HRT shoots at least twice per week. I'm not sure about the field office SWAT teams, but I'd guess not.

El Cid
04-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Sounds like Fams. Definitely not FBI - they shoot once a quarter for quals. They can have extra courses if their division runs them, not few agents take advantage.

Jackdog
04-12-2015, 03:43 PM
FAMs don't shoot weekly. Monthly maybe. Depending on the field office.

Surf
04-12-2015, 06:26 PM
General agents and monthly would be more than the normal.

Regional SWAT teams lucky if they actually stuck to once a month. HRT and once a week maybe more maybe less could be the norm but schedule could affect it.

If they are a part of a joint task group then once a month might hold true. Just depends on the group.

SLG
04-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Since the OP said its the FBI, I'm not sure where the speculation comes from.

El Cid
04-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Since the OP said its the FBI, I'm not sure where the speculation comes from.

Is he still at the academy? That would be the only way he's shooting twice a week as part of his job. Even the instructors at Quantico don't shoot that much. Seems like the mom misunderstood or the son misspoke.

SLG
04-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Is he still at the academy? That would be the only way he's shooting twice a week as part of his job. Even the instructors at Quantico don't shoot that much. Seems like the mom misunderstood or the son misspoke.

Funny, that's what I was thinking. I assume the OP knows if he's at the academy or not though, and I took it to mean he's in the field somewhere.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-13-2015, 10:33 AM
OP here - the agent has been an agent for quite a few years and has moved up in rank. I think Mom just misinterpreted or the agent is enthusiastic (which I can understand - knowing the person). I was just curious. I should actually talk to said agent but we were talking to Mom and got around to talking about TX guns and my carry / practice routines. Mom opined on the child's carry and practice.

BTW - why assume child is a son? That's funny.

Gadfly
04-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I am with HSI. We are mandated to shoot once per quarter. Our SRT gets two training days per month, sometimes it is on the range, sometimes it is doing entries, sims, DT, etc... As an FI, I end up on the range about once a month at least, but when you are running the line, you are typically not shooting. We also offer at least 2 "practice days" per quarter where any shooter who wants extra ammo and range time can come out. We encourage shooters who are struggling to attend.

In the academy, we would shoot a couple of days per week.

It is my understanding CPB has gone to qual twice per year from 4 times per year.

I know the OP said FBI, just giving my info for comparison.

psalms144.1
04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
My agency is quarterly training, with semi-annual qualifications. Each range session is supposed to be four hours, minimum. I can tell you that after about 30 minutes, most folks are looking at their cars, whining about how far behind on paperwork they are.

Luckily, we changed our policy on the qualification having to be shot "cold," so I don't run the qualification until the very end of the training session. It's pretty sad that we have to play games like that, but, it is what it is...

I would LOVE to be in an agency that MADE me go to the range twice per week. In my last billet, assigned to USSOCOM, we shot every week, when we weren't on the road, which worked out to about two sessions per month, I'd guess.

El Cid
04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
BTW - why assume child is a son? That's funny.
Well for starters the male pronoun is the one to use grammatically in the English language. All that "he/she" stuff is hippie garbage. Secondly, it's a statistics thing. Most LEO's are male. Most gun enthusiasts in LE are male. And to shoot twice a week implies being a member of a tactical team - statistically mostly male.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Well, she's an outlier. No offense, I just thought it was funny. Not making any gender statements. :o

LtDave
04-13-2015, 09:50 PM
My time in the FBI was almost 30 years ago now. If I remember correctly, we qualified 8 times annually at my field office. The SWAT guys shot more, but certainly not weekly.