PDA

View Full Version : FN Releasing Semi-Auto M249

Chance
04-11-2015, 01:54 PM
The FN webpage (http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/collector-series/m249s/) and WeaponsMan comments (http://weaponsman.com/?p=22002).

So is this basically FN releasing an airsoft replica that fires real bullets, or can a 22-pound, semi-automatic, belt-fed rifle actually be used for something?

What's the price on an actual M249 or M240 (pre-1989) these days, anyways?

LSP972
04-11-2015, 04:38 PM
I dunno, man. I handled one of those semi-auto-only BARs once. Having had the opportunity to shoot a real BAR a few times, holding the repro was like holding a Racquel Welch blow-up doll… something was missing.

SamuelBLong
04-11-2015, 06:21 PM
What's the price on an actual M249 or M240 (pre-1989) these days, anyways?

The last one I saw, 6-7yrs ago, was going for 185K and change. I think that one was a pre-86 sample.

There were a few pre & post samples that mistakenly were transferred on form 4's, but ATF has cracked down on them. There is ONE fully transferable... And last I heard it was valued upwards of 550K

Artemas
04-11-2015, 08:56 PM
this is something you buy for the "cool factor". or if you REALLY suck at deer hunting!

Bigghoss
04-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Useful? No

Do I want one? Undecided.

If they came out with a PARA version and it was cheap enough (which I know it won't be) I would think about it. Ain't nothing wrong with range toys.

LHS
04-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Useful? No

Do I want one? Undecided.

If they came out with a PARA version and it was cheap enough (which I know it won't be) I would think about it. Ain't nothing wrong with range toys.

They need a pistol version with a SIG brace :)

OlongJohnson
04-12-2015, 10:58 AM
I dunno, man. I handled one of those semi-auto-only BARs once. Having had the opportunity to shoot a real BAR a few times, holding the repro was like holding a Racquel Welch blow-up doll… something was missing.

The BAR sporting rifle was never meant to be (and I'm pretty sure was never marketed as) a civilian version of the BAR combat rifle. It's a pretty formidable piece in its own right. Happens to be on my "want it but don't need it but will have it one day anyway" list. Chambered in powerful calibers useful for large animals, not just "social" ones for little, slow, two-legged animals. The balance and the way it carries and handles is a beautiful thing. As is how it looks. It's been in production with only minor revisions since the '60s, and the LGS keeps stock of them, moving at MSRP.

TR675
04-12-2015, 11:09 AM
I think he meant the Ohio ordnance works semi auto BAR.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles/semi-auto/oow-line/1918a3/1918a3-slr-walnut-stock

voodoo_man
04-12-2015, 01:10 PM
$8k?

uhhh....

Failure2Stop
04-12-2015, 08:51 PM
$8k?

uhhh....
I wouldn't pay more than $250 for that sorry abortion.

SLG
04-12-2015, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $250 for that sorry abortion.

:-)

I carried a parasaw for a year, and though I wouldn't want to repeat that experience, If you'll sell one for $300, I'll take it off your hands:-)

Tamara
04-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Every time I hear "parasaw", my mind goes for the obvious pun and I picture Mary Poppins with one. Which, you know, would be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious if Disney ever remakes the movie. "This nanny takes no guff from naughty kids!" :D

As to the pricing, while obviously some engineering work had to go into a closed-bolt variant with a unique receiver, the basic M249 tooling has got to be long amortized. I wonder what per unit cost on regular 249s is on the odd occasions they're purchased in onesie-twosies instead of hundreds at a whack?

SLG
04-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Every time I hear "parasaw", my mind goes for the obvious pun and I picture Mary Poppins with one. Which, you know, would be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious if Disney ever remakes the movie. "This nanny takes no guff from naughty kids!" :D

As to the pricing, while obviously some engineering work had to go into a closed-bolt variant with a unique receiver, the basic M249 tooling has got to be long amortized. I wonder what per unit cost on regular 249s is on the odd occasions they're purchased in onesie-twosies instead of hundreds at a whack?

Sorry, does Mary Poppins with a MK46 work better for you? :-)

Kyle Reese
04-13-2015, 07:13 AM
This should sell as well as the ubiquitous FS2000.

LSP972
04-13-2015, 08:04 AM
I think he meant the Ohio ordnance works semi auto BAR.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles/semi-auto/oow-line/1918a3/1918a3-slr-walnut-stock

Yes; thank you.

LSP972
04-13-2015, 08:07 AM
The BAR sporting rifle was never meant to be (and I'm pretty sure was never marketed as) a civilian version of the BAR combat rifle. It's a pretty formidable piece in its own right. Happens to be on my "want it but don't need it but will have it one day anyway" list. Chambered in powerful calibers useful for large animals, not just "social" ones for little, slow, two-legged animals. The balance and the way it carries and handles is a beautiful thing. As is how it looks..

Yeah, it looks good. Unfortunately, the two examples I owned (one in .270, the other in '06) were possessed of Mini-14 "accuracy".

Tamara
04-13-2015, 09:01 AM

ZING! :D

Sorry, does Mary Poppins with a MK46 work better for you? :-)

I'd buy that on Blu-Ray. :)

GardoneVT
04-13-2015, 10:10 AM

Ah!

But among the cleetii, semi auto "machine gun" > weird eurobullpup. I can picture a few folks buying it for sheer bragging rights.Besides it is the perfect home defense compliment to a Judge 'carry gun'-bumpfire stock not included.

"Check out mah home defense gun. Its bigger ten urs."

Tamara
04-13-2015, 10:54 AM
But among the cleetii, semi auto "machine gun" > weird eurobullpup. I can picture a few folks buying it for sheer bragging rights.Besides it is the perfect home defense compliment to a Judge 'carry gun'-bumpfire stock not included

The price tag will be highly effective Cletus repellant.

JackRock
04-13-2015, 01:30 PM
I was an M249 shooter for a year in the Army. A semi-auto-only version seems.....wrong. No way I'm paying $8k for one.

Cincinnatus
04-13-2015, 04:15 PM
I do not desire one for any practical purpose, but I do want one simply from the historical collectible standpoint of having an as close as possible replica of the U.S. Military SAW.
I carried, one, too, as a Marine and simply want a replica of it for historical and old times sake.
However, at that price point, it is definitely a someday someday acquisition.
Furthermore, despite its having no practical purpose, owning one would be like a giant middle finger to anti-gunners everywhere.:cool:

Talking Monkey
04-15-2015, 01:00 PM
...owning one would be like a giant middle finger to anti-gunners everywhere.:cool:

Good enough reason as any to own one.

jh9
04-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Good enough reason as any to own one.

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho agrees
https://i.imgur.com/M6MVEmh.png

LittleLebowski
04-15-2015, 08:39 PM
President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho agrees
https://i.imgur.com/M6MVEmh.png

/thread

JackRock
04-17-2015, 12:52 AM
Furthermore, despite its having no practical purpose, owning one would be like a giant middle finger to anti-gunners everywhere.:cool:

Okay. I will admit that's a very compelling reason.