PDA

View Full Version : Grabbing the Slide,

RoyGBiv
04-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Grabbing the Slide and Firing (https://www.full30.com/video/03364ce1b56f3510e77fda481d8a94f3) (Video)
(apologies for the short commercial... I couldn't figure a way to skip it)

Not an everyday thing to be practiced, but an interesting tactic when other options are unavailable.

Thoughts?

Chuck Haggard
04-09-2015, 04:53 AM
I've taught gripping the slide to rookies in basic training for many years. They need to understand what happens when the slide can't cycle, and we also teach this in conjunction with making contact shots.

Surf
04-09-2015, 02:07 PM
As Chuck mentions this is nothing new. 25+ years ago I was taught a grab on a revolver whereas you are not just controlling the weapon and the muzzle but you might be able to defeat the trigger pull by locking up the cylinder or possibly driving the web of the hand between the hammer and revolver. At least that is what was trained then. Also pistol control techniques are things that are taught in defensive or hands on combatives or in possible contact shot situations as Chuck stated. This is very common in certain circles of training. Most average people are not exposed to these things.

I am not necessary singling out the guys in that video or saying they didn't understand this, but in general, many in the younger generation, especially on youtube, don't understand that many techniques have been around for a long time. It may just be that they have limited exposure or experience and when they see something new to them, they think it is new to everyone. Another prime example has been the argument over the outstretched grip on say a carbine. Just like any other trend, what is old is new.

Chuck Haggard
04-09-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm noting a LOT of people with zero context in "tactical history" that, as noted by Surf, think they have discovered something new when, like bell bottoms a few years ago, that stuff has been around awhile.

Hambo
04-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Thoughts?

Sure. People usually try to hang onto their guns, and if you get somebody with their shit together they will fight with both hands to gain position and put that one shot into you, after which you will leak precious bodily fluids and they can hand cycle the next round before lighting you up seven or eight more times. Or you grab too close to the muzzle and get to lose digits to the bullet, flame cutting, or take the round in the hands/arms, any of which put a crimp on your disarm technique. I'm not saying not to try in certain circumstances, just that it won't always go like it did for Jackie Chan.

richiecotite
04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks for posting this, I've always wondered what would happen if you grabbed the slide when firing. I always figured the force the the gun produced would overcome hand strength, but clearly that's not so.