PDA

View Full Version : When to drift your sights.

breakingtime91
04-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Long story short, I recently installed Defoor sights on my glock 19. The last two range sessions with them were spent at relatively close range (working on speed and cadence) but today I moved out to work on distance. While I could slightly see my impacts were favoring left (7 yards I noticed it), it did not become apparent until I moved past that. from 10,15,20,25,35 yds all of my hits are to the left. Discounting called flyers, at each distance I would have tight group to the left of my point of aim. At first I did not want to adjust the sights but honestly I think I am at the stage that I think the sights are actually off not my fundamentals. When do you guys decide to drift your sights? I had my shooting buddy shoot it to and it hit noticeably left for him also...

Jakemd98
04-08-2015, 06:36 PM
are the sights centered on the gun?

breakingtime91
04-08-2015, 06:38 PM
I eye balled it. They look pretty on but I am under the impression that even if they are it doesn't mean it will hit center for ME. Am I incorrect in this thinking?

GJM
04-08-2015, 06:39 PM
I confirm sights on every pistol I have, regardless of whether the sights came OEM or are after market, by shooting groups at 25 yards. My eyes almost always require a slight right rear deflection, regardless of platform. After adjusting the rear sight, I shoot again and at a subsequent session or two to confirm POI, making sure wind, light, ammo, or some technique imperfection didn't cause an error. After that process is complete, I place a small dot with a paint stick on the right side of the pistol signifying the pistol is zeroed.

JV_
04-08-2015, 06:41 PM
When do you guys decide to drift your sights?When I install the sights, I bench the gun. If it shoots left, I adjust the sights.

I test my guns at 15Y because because it's easier for my eyes.

breakingtime91
04-08-2015, 06:42 PM
the rounds are striking left of my POA, I adjust the rear to the right to move the point of impact right correct?

JV_
04-08-2015, 06:43 PM
I place a small dot with a paint stick on the right side of the pistol signifying the pistol is zeroed.I do something similar.

I put a dot on each side of the sight, at the dovetail/sight intersection. This lets me see if the sight has shifted over time.

orionz06
04-08-2015, 06:47 PM
If I ever have any doubts I will shoot once and then aim at that hole, repeat until I consistently walk off paper. Then I switch firing hands and shoot two hand supported doing the same. If the shots still go to one side or the other I shift. If the shots don't walk with the other hand pulling the trigger you have your answer.

JBP55
04-08-2015, 08:10 PM
the rounds are striking left of my POA, I adjust the rear to the right to move the point of impact right correct?

Yes, for a G19 move the rear sight approximately .007 right for each inch you are shooting left at 25 yards. The rear sight always goes the way you want the bullet to go.
FORS Front Opposite Rear Same.