PDA

View Full Version : P30 sight options?

ExMachina
08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Does the P30 use a proprietary sight cut?

If so, how many after market options are out there?

Thanks for any tips

ExMachina
08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
ok, looks like they are proprietary and i can find replacement sights from dawsons, hi-vz and Heinie.

however, i'm looking specifically for a "ledge" type rear sight but don't see any.

does anybody know the dimensions of the HK dovetails?--i'm wondering if it would be possible to have the slot recut?

JohnN
08-22-2011, 09:16 AM
I just got a newsletter from 10-8 Performance which included the following:

Question of the Week

Q: Will you be making sights for the Sig 226/228, Springfield XD, and HK45/P30?

A: Many projects are under consideration for 2012. We are in the midst of slating development projects for 2012, and once we have anything to report on what may be in the works, it will be announced here and on our Facebook page. It is still too early to announce much at this point, however we can say that the above 3 platforms are in the forefront for development ahead of some other platforms (like Kahr, BHP, CZ, HK USP, Beretta).

May give us another choice of sights for the platform.

Newsletter: Troubleshooting 1911 Ejection (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=8mdo79bab&v=0015BXpFNMtZm1S7zVQB4QMHjiTDHYYOSKIBHVeNBNIOPpvF nG6LgMVRfVH552u-JR1ehxzZL-PuDDoPMmW7jLVGdenvXS4xuS8V4A4ns8PSsQ%3D)

Comedian
08-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Meprolight also has sights for the P30.

JV_
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Meprolight also has sights for the P30.Which has, IMO, a terrible sight picture.

JohnN
08-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Meprolight also has sights for the P30.

The Meprolights give you the same sight picture as the stock sights only with tritium.

Kyle Reese
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
The Meprolights give you the same sight picture as the stock sights only with tritium.

The stock sights on the p30 leave much to be desired.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

LOKNLOD
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
There was a previous thread on here where someone had received some sort of word from Ameriglo that they were working on a P30 sight, but I can't remember which thread it was :o

JV_
08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?788-P30-and-HK45-Sight-Options...Ameriglo

JohnN
08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
There was a previous thread on here where someone had received some sort of word from Ameriglo that they were working on a P30 sight, but I can't remember which thread it was :o

Recently sent an email to Rick at Ameriglo asking about any updates on the proposed P30 sights and he replied there weren't any. Also sent an email to Scott Warren inquiring about any plans to make sights for the HK platform and never received a reply.

So who knows. Perhaps the HK has lost its mojo:confused:.

Failure2Stop
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Meprolight, Heinie (Slant Pro Straight 8 and QWIK), XS, and Trijicon.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-P30-Parts-c205.htm

LOKNLOD
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Recently sent an email to Rick at Ameriglo asking about any updates on the proposed P30 sights and he replied there weren't any.

Weren't any updates, or weren't any sights proposed?

LOKNLOD
08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Meprolight, Heinie (Slant Pro Straight 8 and QWIK), XS, and Trijicon.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-P30-Parts-c205.htm

Regarding those Heinie sights, I think that they are all the QWIK version, and the difference is that the "tactical" are suppressor height. Heine's own website does a better job of explaining it. I may be mistaken or working with out-dated info, but for anyone interested in ordering it would be worth it to dig a little deeper. The regular heine's seem plenty tall enough without inadvertently getting the suppressor version.

JV_
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I think joshs got a non qwik rear sight for his p30

-Sent using Tapatalk.

JohnN
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Weren't any updates, or weren't any sights proposed?

I was assuming perhaps incorrectly that the sights were going to be made so I simply asked for an update. He stated, sorry no updates.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

GJM
08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I just got a newsletter from 10-8 Performance which included the following:

Question of the Week

Q: Will you be making sights for the Sig 226/228, Springfield XD, and HK45/P30?

A: Many projects are under consideration for 2012. We are in the midst of slating development projects for 2012, and once we have anything to report on what may be in the works, it will be announced here and on our Facebook page. It is still too early to announce much at this point, however we can say that the above 3 platforms are in the forefront for development ahead of some other platforms (like Kahr, BHP, CZ, HK USP, Beretta).

May give us another choice of sights for the platform.

Newsletter: Troubleshooting 1911 Ejection (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=8mdo79bab&v=0015BXpFNMtZm1S7zVQB4QMHjiTDHYYOSKIBHVeNBNIOPpvF nG6LgMVRfVH552u-JR1ehxzZL-PuDDoPMmW7jLVGdenvXS4xuS8V4A4ns8PSsQ%3D)

DB and I have been pestering Hilton about the P30/HK45 sights, and may be wearing him down. I just received a package from Dawson Precison, with two sets of sights -- a fiber optic front in a custom (taller) height for a P30, and tritium front for an HK 45C, both paired with a plain black rear.

ExMachina
08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Wow. Poor Hilton! Guess I have been pestering him too :p

FYI, the last email I got from him was much more definite than that newsletter post. Namely, 30 rear sights within the next 6-12 months :cool:

John Ralston
08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
DB and I have been pestering Hilton about the P30/HK45 sights, and may be wearing him down. I just received a package from Dawson Precison, with two sets of sights -- a fiber optic front in a custom (taller) height for a P30, and tritium front for an HK 45C, both paired with a plain black rear.

Does the rear have a ledge for one handed manipulations?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JohnN
08-27-2011, 06:49 AM
It looks like all the pestering is paying off. This is an email response from Donna at 10-8 Performance and posted on another forum.

It will be nice to have another choice.

I am happy to report that we have started the research/development phase of the HK project! Keep watching the website and FB for updates. Thank you for your support!
Donna

YVK
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Not really an aftermarket option, but opening the rear sight notch on factory tri-dot tritium sights has made the setup interesting enough that I am currently not looking for alternatives.
G. and Ex., have you used 10-8 sights on other guns? Don't really want to change the topic to discussion of 10-8 sights merits, but I have them and I am not particularly digging them. Of course, sights being a very personal choice, that could be just me.

GJM
08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Regarding the factory sights, I have sent Tooltech a slide and had them black the two rear white dots and add a tritium dot to the front sight.

I like 10-8 rear sights, and have used them on the 1911, M&P and Glock. 10-8 offers front sights for the Glock in plain, a brass bead, tritium and fiber optic in several heights which allows you to choose what you want and regulate your pistol better.

ExMachina
09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Not really an aftermarket option, but opening the rear sight notch on factory tri-dot tritium sights has made the setup interesting enough that I am currently not looking for alternatives.
G. and Ex., have you used 10-8 sights on other guns? Don't really want to change the topic to discussion of 10-8 sights merits, but I have them and I am not particularly digging them. Of course, sights being a very personal choice, that could be just me.

I've got 10-8 rears (plain black) on two 1911's. They have surpassed my Heinie rear sights as my favorite --clean sight picture, functional ledge, what looks to be a better finish and the 10-8's are nearly 50% less expensive. Not sure that the "U" helps, but it certainly doesn't distract.

But I agree that sight preference is a personal thing and for me, for whatever reason, the factory-supplied, three-dot sights work horribly.

GJM
09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Received today in 10-8 blast email:

Some exciting projects that have just started to work their way to the drawing board include a rear sight replacement for the HK45/HK45c/P30/P30L series of pistols, as well as a replacement rear sight for the BoMar adjustable rear sight. That's right, you heard it here first! Stay tuned here and on our Facebook page for updates as the projects move along. Please note that it usually takes 6-8 months on average to get a project moved along through design, prototyping, and production, so it'll be ok to log off your computer while you wait for the designs to come to fruition. :)

Special thanks to the numerous customers who emailed us last week to show their support for the HK sight project as well as feedback on outlines for tritium insert front sights. We wouldn't be here without you great folks, and always appreciate the feedback and kind words.

Mjolnir
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM
This is great news!

JRas
09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
For a defensive handgun whats wrong with the Heinie's?

YVK
09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
For a defensive handgun whats wrong with the Heinie's?

Nothing, they are my overall favorite production sights, all pistol brands/models. I think that most common issues cited in regards to HK P30 Heinie sights are backlog, limited notch width options, lack of Ledge option for one-handed work, and relatively high price.

EVP
03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Received today in 10-8 blast email:

Some exciting projects that have just started to work their way to the drawing board include a rear sight replacement for the HK45/HK45c/P30/P30L series of pistols, as well as a replacement rear sight for the BoMar adjustable rear sight. That's right, you heard it here first! Stay tuned here and on our Facebook page for updates as the projects move along. Please note that it usually takes 6-8 months on average to get a project moved along through design, prototyping, and production, so it'll be ok to log off your computer while you wait for the designs to come to fruition. :)

Special thanks to the numerous customers who emailed us last week to show their support for the HK sight project as well as feedback on outlines for tritium insert front sights. We wouldn't be here without you great folks, and always appreciate the feedback and kind words.

I am resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has heard any news from 10-8 regarding sights?

JohnN
03-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like this project keeps being put on the back burner.

jmjames
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
But I agree that sight preference is a personal thing and for me, for whatever reason, the factory-supplied, three-dot sights work horribly.

I've been pondering this for a while, and I think that the reason is that the stock sights require the target to be completely obscured by the sights. If the rear had a wider notch, you'd at least be able to get *some* frame of reference in the site picture, but as-is, if you can see anything other than the top portion of what you are aiming at, you are doing it wrong. That may be fine in a slow 'n steady session at the range (and even then, I struggled to see what I was aiming at), but for anything else, it's tough.

I switched to the Heinie's a bit more than a month ago, painted the front sight orange, and even though I still need to cover the target with the dot, the wider notch lets me get a good idea of where I am aiming and I've found it a lot easier to acquire and maintain my target.

J.Ja

apollo11
03-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Here is a pic of the Dawsons, they work fantastic.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll155/apollo11_us/hk-3-1.jpg

_JD_
03-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately, it looks like this project keeps being put on the back burner.

Yep, I went a ahead and orderd the Dawson sights. Was really wanting the 10-8 rear, but those 3 dots gotta go

SamuelBLong
03-31-2012, 11:59 AM
As of early Feb, I was told by Ameriglo that they will have some options for us by this fall.

I asked specifically about the Hacks, the operators / pro operators and the I-dots.

JohnN
03-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Kinda like the BarSto barrels for the M&P, I will believe when I see it.

EVP
03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Good thing Heinie makes a great sight. I only wish Heinie put out a three dot variation for the Hk's.

Wolvee
03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
These are Heinies on my P30L that I had Doug from ATEiguns cut for me to give me that ledge I needed. It's cheap and it's easy.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC00451.jpg

This is it prior to the cut.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC00446-1.jpg

JohnN
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
These are Heinies on my P30L that I had Doug from ATEiguns cut for me to give me that ledge I needed. It's cheap and it's easy.

Maybe he is not interested in doing small jobs, I emailed twice for a quote to modify and install Heinie's with no reply.

Wolvee
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Maybe he is not interested in doing small jobs, I emailed twice for a quote to modify and install Heinie's with no reply.

I'm sure that's not it, maybe it's the because of the weekend. Here is the number to his shop, he usually gets to the shop around 2pm and is there till midnight. 313-388-8228

JodyH
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
That's a 10 minute job for any local machine shop or 30 minutes with a good bastard file and a vice.

Wolvee
04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
That's a 10 minute job for any local machine shop or 30 minutes with a good bastard file and a vice.

Yeah, it just took him a few minutes to install my sights.