PDA

View Full Version : New Feature - Ignore Threads and/or Forums

JV_
04-06-2015, 01:37 PM
I'd like the ability to ignore a thread. If ignored, I want it omitted from the "What's New" page.

JV_
04-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Yes..

JV_
04-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Great, thanks!

Byron
04-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Fantastic. I'll be very glad to see this feature implemented!
[Placeholder post since the like button isn't yet live] ;)

JackRock
04-06-2015, 03:07 PM
OK. I'll download the code and audit it to the best of my abilities. Assuming there isn't anything too terribly wrong with it, I'll install it.

It might be a few weeks before it goes live, most likely with the new themes and branding (which will also include the much desired like/dislike buttons :)).

Dammit, I want to "like" this post! :)

taadski
04-06-2015, 03:18 PM

I taken steps to remedy this myself…

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps7c8d0a69.png

:D

JackRock
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Now I want to "like" that post, too! Dammit!

johnnyyukon
04-06-2015, 04:16 PM

I'm torn on a "like" option. It's nice to get a shiny red notification that your post was liked and enjoyed by all (and really, feedback that it was read), but my guess is that could be a distraction in a big boy forum like this.

On the other hand, being a bit of a lurker myself, there's so many knowledgeable posts that I'd like to give a quick tip of my hat to, some funny 'uns too. Instead of making a post "hey, what you just said, I really found it useful" and/or....

http://i.imgur.com/DKXgVf0m.jpg

orionz06
04-06-2015, 04:38 PM
What aboot the vest rating system?

http://i.imgur.com/H3XP7xE.png
http://i.imgur.com/jVqMiXO.png

johnnyyukon
04-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Enough people have asked for it (a like button) that it's worth trying. I can't promise it's will always and forever be here. If it ends up being a distraction/nuisance we'll nuke it. At any rate it will give people something to complain (or compliment) about at this year's PFestivus.

http://i.imgur.com/cJfInvQ.gif

Yeah, it's easy to blow it off as a popularity contest feature, but I think it can be a good indicator that you're "doing it right" or not. I've helped implement it in other, more for funsies, forums and there's usually a mixed response to the idea (resistance to change and whatnot) but once done, few people really complain or care. Number of "likes" display can also be hidden until clicked on.

Buuuut, I couldn't really say on this site as I'm on the fringe. Just follow your heart!!

taadski
04-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Lol.

johnnyyukon
04-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Lol.

See, I'd "like" that if I could.

And then you could "like" my "liking" of your lol. Sky's the limit.

JV_
04-07-2015, 07:30 PM

Great. Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Malamute
04-07-2015, 08:09 PM
OK. I'll download the code and audit it to the best of my abilities. Assuming there isn't anything too terribly wrong with it, I'll install it.

It might be a few weeks before it goes live, most likely with the new themes and branding (which will also include the much desired like/dislike buttons :)).

LittleLebowski
04-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Just saying, I'm seeing feature requests from non supporting members :D

Tamara
04-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Just saying, I'm seeing feature requests from non supporting members :D

...he said, subtly. :D

LittleLebowski
04-07-2015, 08:41 PM
...he said, subtly. :D

They don't have to contribute. But you.....I expect an review of the P320 and AIWB carry and soon.

SeriousStudent
04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
This is very cool. Thank you for your time and efforts on this, Tom.

Sincerely,

A site supporter. :cool:

SeriousStudent
04-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Ye gods and little fishes, I must have missed that. I thought the Paypal doodad did that automagically these days.

I shall attend to it. Thanks for the catch.

SeriousStudent
04-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Fixed it - what a narrow escape.

cclaxton
04-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Ignore threads feature: Let's pretend people aren't talking about other things that bother me. I don't get it. I use the link to see New Postings and Threads where I posted something. If I read a thread I don't want to continue reading....I just don't continue reading it. Maybe people need a way to protect themselves from being tempted to continue to read threads they don't like...but I don't get it. Doesn't bother me and I won't use the feature.
Cody

LittleLebowski
04-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Since I'm out of control and derailing threads all over the place today, I'll mention that I picked up a P320 today. I'd heard that it was similar to a Glock in that the striker wasn't fully tensioned. This got me sort of excited for gadgety reasons. Unfortunately, that's not the case. It's a lot more like an M&P or VP9 than a Glock. :(

:(

JV_
04-08-2015, 07:59 AM
Let's pretend people aren't talking about other things that bother me.Sometimes the RR takes up the vast majority of the "What's New" section. I really don't care about 99% of what's in that section, and now I can substantially clean up my "What's New" feed with one click. That's a win in my book.

Byron
04-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Ignore threads feature: Let's pretend people aren't talking about other things that bother me. I don't get it.
...but I don't get it. Doesn't bother me and I won't use the feature.
Cody
OK cool: no need to use it.

You don't get some of the things I like. I don't get some of the things you like. The world is great that way :D

BaiHu
04-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Every thread is sacred
Every thread is great
If a thread gets ignored
5 stars I'll rate...

MichaelD
04-08-2015, 09:21 AM
I've found that one of the "secrets" to happiness is simply avoiding the little things that you know are going to piss you off. So if thread/forum ignore lists can help someone be happier, that's great. If they don't, that's also great. :cool:

Yep. It's why I generally avoid war movies and most news sites these days, and have started avoiding my local forum. It's also why I quit spending time on Facebook. I don't think I'll make much use of the ignore feature, but it's nice to have.

pooty
08-27-2018, 07:49 PM
"Ignore" is the most useful, time saving feature of this forum. On other forums (like m4carbine), after 2 - 3 days when I click 'new posts' 10 pages of threads pop up, nine and a half of them are clutter I don't care about.

Thanks for enabling this Tom_Jones

Cory
04-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Tom_Jones

Now that I've ignored the romper room, will it's posts still show under the "What's New" tab?

-Cory

blues
06-15-2019, 05:51 PM
I’ve never used this feature (beyond testing it to learn how it works — and to make sure it works), but I’ve recently started and it is ABSO-FUCKING-LUTEY FANTASTIC!

It doesn’t appear to have been ported to vBulletin 5, so I hope the bossman sticks with 4.x. :cool:

I use it a ton. I wonder if it runs out of space.

CWM11B
06-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Just discovered this as well. It may salvage my desire to keep visiting as well as maintain my site supporter status. Time will tell...

Drang
06-18-2019, 01:05 AM
I use it a ton. I wonder if it runs out of space.

I seem to be adding threads to my ignore list at an accelerating rate...

JHC
06-18-2019, 05:26 AM
I’ve never used this feature (beyond testing it to learn how it works — and to make sure it works), but I’ve recently started and it is ABSO-FUCKING-LUTEY FANTASTIC!

It doesn’t appear to have been ported to vBulletin 5, so I hope the bossman sticks with 4.x. :cool:

Yep, I'm a regular user and fan of it.

awp_101
06-18-2019, 11:34 AM

RJ
12-15-2022, 11:42 AM
Got a related question on this front; perhaps I am missing a feature of the "ignore" system, so thought I'd ask.

Say you have a user on ignore, their posts don't show up, in threads, at all.

But is there a way to ignore threads they start, as a part of that setting, as well? Maybe there is a "also ignore threads started by" check box I missed?

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, just occurred to me this morning when I manually ignored yet another thread started by yet another user on my (albeit, pretty small; actually single digit. Ok, to be honest really, only one) ignore list.

Thanks!

blues
12-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Got a related question on this front; perhaps I am missing a feature of the "ignore" system, so thought I'd ask.

Say you have a user on ignore, their posts don't show up, in threads, at all.

But is there a way to ignore threads they start, as a part of that setting, as well? Maybe there is a "also ignore threads started by" check box I missed?

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, just occurred to me this morning when I manually ignored yet another thread started by yet another user on my (albeit, pretty small; actually single digit. Ok, to be honest really, only one) ignore list.

Thanks!

I don't know about here...but on bladeforums, if you put a person on ignore, you won't see threads they've started...even ones that are not new and you may have participated in.

I agree, it would be a nice feature...though you have to be careful not to block a thread that you otherwise might want to stay abreast of.

JCN
12-15-2022, 06:09 PM

Can anyone tell me if this prompt goes away with prolonged ignoring?

I was thinking these prompts stay rather than eventually ghosting a user… but if no trace of users is what it turns into (like Glock Talk) that would be delicious and I would certainly make better use of the feature!