PDA

View Full Version : fast and easy 3 gun scoring spitballing

JodyH
04-05-2015, 08:29 PM
We run a charity 3 gun match every year which draws a lot of casual shooters who aren't familiar with scoring targets and since we have so many shooters a fast and easy scoring method makes things go much faster and is easier on the RO's and scorers. I also want it to be fast and fun for the casual, nervous first timer so I want generous scoring zones.
I want the RO to be able to score a target at a fast walk without doing much math and just call out whether it's neutralized or not.
I'm looking for some fast and easy scoring ideas for USPSA targets that differentiate between major/minor calibers on both handgun and rifle.

We're doing "Time Plus (points)" scoring with Practiscore this year.

Right now we're thinking to neutralize paper:
Major pistol: 2 hits anywhere on paper.
Minor pistol: 2 hits anywhere in the A/B/C.
Major rifle: 1 A/B/C hit or two anywhere.
Minor rifle: 1 A/B hit or two anywhere.

I'm thinking about limiting magazine capacities to:
20 for minor pistol, 15 for major pistol
30 for minor rifle, 20 for major rifle

I think the pistol scoring is pretty fair.
Is this too much advantage for major rifle vs. minor considering the capacity limits?
What if I keep the rifle stages to 21-25 rounds or 41-50 rounds?

Failure to neutralize is +10 seconds per target.
No shoots are +15 seconds per (maybe +20, but that seems to kill peoples scores too easily in a casual match)
Procedurals are +5 seconds per.

Ideas, thoughts?
Is it even worth differentiating between major/minor in a casual match?

rob_s
04-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I'd bag the major/minor, it doesn't matter.

Ps should be 10 seconds.

Only count Cs or better, two rounds is fine.

Make FTN and NT the same, we do 30 seconds each but 15 is probably fine.

Start all stages with ten rounds, forces reloads, makes things more fun.

JodyH
04-05-2015, 08:57 PM
I can probably kill any rifle capacity advantages (We limit all rifles to 30 rounds but most .308's top out at 20 rounds, the oddball would be AK's at 30 rounds) by stage design and/or round counts.

There will probably only be three or four of us manly enough to shoot real rifles anyway.
Me and my FAL, two friends of mine shooting M14's and maybe an AR10 or two... maybe.

rob_s
04-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I shot a FAL and a 1911 for some time in matches, neither proved to be a handicap sufficient to warrant separate scoring when I started running my own matches ten+ years ago.

BillP
05-07-2015, 09:31 AM
My suggestions:

Eliminate major/minor. If you want a 7.62-centric group, do a heavy metal division instead so they can compete against other 7.62 shooters.

Easy/fast-moving scoring: 1 A zone or 2 anywhere neutralize the target. Time-plus-penalties scoring.

Failure2Stop
05-07-2015, 10:05 AM
My suggestions:

Eliminate major/minor. If you want a 7.62-centric group, do a heavy metal division instead so they can compete against other 7.62 shooters.

Easy/fast-moving scoring: 1 A zone or 2 anywhere neutralize the target. Time-plus-penalties scoring.

This.
A/B= No time added (making the B +0.5 seconds is ok, but adds complexity)
C= +1 second
D= +2 seconds
M= +5 Seconds
FTN= +5 Seconds

The real key is to assign each stage with 100 possible points. Top (lowest) time gets 100 points. % of each shooter is their awarded point value for each stage.
This prevents a stage with a longer or shorter overall/par time from being the single determining stage in the competition.

Most pistols hold at least 15 rounds, and it's an easy number to count out of a box. I'd recommend that as your mag cap. Easy counting, relevant to number of rounds commonly carried, doesn't make everything dependant on reloading, a skill at which most new to competition shooters are not good at and raises the probability of those same shooters blowing the 180 if they aren't focused on it for every reload.

You can always limit the individual stage load-out if you want the stage to reinforce something specific (reloading, accuracy, fore-thought, etc.)

Minor/Standard Rifle (5.45-6.8SPC): 30 round cap. 7.62x39 would be minor/standard.
Heavy Rifle (.308-.30-06): 25 round cap. 20 will be the most common, but gun-guys that make the leap up will generally get at least a few higher cap mags.