PDA

View Full Version : holster cant?

JRas
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I've decided what holster I want, now I'm confused on this whole holster cant.

it seems people really prefer holster cant, mainly the "FBI Tilt" ( which isn't even consistent among retailers )

I know Appendix holsters tend to come with neutral cant

holsters ment to ride at 3 people seem to prefer little to neutral cant

it seems after 3/after the hip people prefer forward cant

I'm planning on carrying as close to 3-3:30 as I can due to I hate sitting with anything further back. It won't allow me to sit with my back flat against the chair/seat and ends up hurting my right side.

I've took my unloaded gun inbetween my pants at 3:30 at neutral and with foward cant. I find cant pushes the grip closer to my body but I don't see a big difference in concealment ( They seem to both print at the same level as I bend down ). As far as drawing I don't see a big difference, it doesn't feel more comfortable to do so with cant, In fact I feel like when I clear the imaginary holster it's harder for me to turn the muzzle towards the target.

The only difference I see is sitting it feels more comfortable to draw and feels like the butt goes in a more comfortable place.

what cant or if no cant do you guys recommend at 3-4?

seabiscuit
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
I have 15 degree cant at 4. Comfortable, and it helps tuck the grip in.

Seraph
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
I like to carry at about 4:00 to 4:30, with a lot of cant (my K-25 holster is made for this, with 25 degrees of cant). I can conceal this M&P 45 Full Size comfortably, and discreetly, all day long, whether I'm sitting in my car, pushing my mower, or going on my two mile run. This holster positions the pistol on the body so that it doesn't poke into you at uncomfortable "pressure points." It keeps the grip tucked into the torso, so that it can't flag out over top of your belt, printing through your shirt. In fact, I can conceal the M&P 45 FS under a t-shirt. It's not the type of holster for someone who has trained a preference for carry at 3:00. For those who prefer to carry further forward, say at 3:00 to 3:30, I make a Y-12 holster, with 12 degrees of cant. You can't estimate what a holster will do for your carry experience by putting a naked gun in your waistband.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K25MP45/K-25_MP45_web_02.jpg

JRCHolsters
08-19-2011, 11:54 AM
I typically put a 25 degree cant on holsters from 3-4 o'clockish. This all depends on the size of the gun and design of the holster. So far this has been a pretty good angle, most of my customers like.

JAD
08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
I carry at 3:30. While I would, from a shooting perspective, love to use a neutral cant, I find that 15 degrees is necessary to wear the pistol under a t shirt. Sucks, because at least for me I have to break my wrist badly in count one. [obviously: AH AH AH! Grip, one! Pull, two! AH AH AH!]

One of the things that makes cross draw aiwb interesting to me is that the wrist angle would be pretty ideal.

ubervic
08-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I carry at 3:30. While I would, from a shooting perspective, love to use a neutral cant, I find that 15 degrees is necessary to wear the pistol under a t shirt. Sucks, because at least for me I have to break my wrist badly in count one. [obviously: AH AH AH! Grip, one! Pull, two! AH AH AH!]

One of the things that makes cross draw aiwb interesting to me is that the wrist angle would be pretty ideal.

Your experience matches mine. In terms of concealment and overall practical comfort, this position seems to work best for me. Yes, I have to break my wrist somewhat, but that portion of the movement is brief and I focus on ripping the pistol right up to my sight-line as quickly yet smoothly and controllably as possible.

I appreciate the notion of carrying AIWB, but until I lose a few more pounds (around the midsection) and also get over the psychological obstacle of wearing the gun right up front rather than tucked behind the hip, it just doesn't work for me.

Isaac
06-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Does anyone own both a Sparks Summer Special 2 and Kramer #3? If so could you post them laid out and on a belt? Annnnd John Ralston's IBS too?

TGS
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
When I used to carry my P2000 behind-the-hip (so 4 O'Clock or slightly later), I greatly preferred 23-25 degree cant to 15 degree cant. At that far behind the hip, I found 15 degree didn't conceal as well and it also didn't present as good an angle to grip the gun.

At 3 O'Clock though I greatly prefer neutral cant (if my concealment garment allows it) due to the quick draw-stroke and easy grip establishment (no breaking wrists!), but realistically I've found 15 degrees required in order to conceal under most garments.

rudy99
06-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Is everyone, who is carrying at 4 o'clock with >15 deg of cant, able to drive in their car with any level of comfort (other than Seraph)? My Comp-tac has about 15 degrees or so, however I carry around the 3 o'clock to 2:30 mark. Probably not idea.

Seems like as you move from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, the amount of recommended cant increases.

Isaac
06-19-2012, 10:23 AM
No discomfort with my SS2 while driving, which I think is 15 degrees.

TGS
06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Is everyone, who is carrying at 4 o'clock with >15 deg of cant, able to drive in their car with any level of comfort (other than Seraph)? My Comp-tac has about 15 degrees or so, however I carry around the 3 o'clock to 2:30 mark. Probably not idea.

Seems like as you move from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, the amount of recommended cant increases.

I didn't have any discomfort driving. It was a bitch to access though, and getting out of the car in the public eye required careful maneuvering and quick hands to fix the garment so it didn't hang up on the gun. I'm starting to remember why AIWB is so awesome compared to behind the hip.....

BaiHu
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Personally, I want a holster-can, not a holster-cant :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

DocGKR
06-19-2012, 01:34 PM
I carry concealed between 1-3 o'clock--I prefer a vertical holster with NO forward cant.

ToddG
06-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Personally, I want a holster-can, not a holster-cant :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Neural linguistic holstering, I like it!

I carry concealed between 1-3 o'clock--I prefer a vertical holster with NO forward cant.

Ditto. I've played with some canted aiwb holsters and did not care for them.

BaiHu
06-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Neural linguistic holstering, I like it!

Sounds like you have the title of your next class offering :p

The companion class of "My other strong side" has garnered rave reviews from Richard Bandler, John Grinder and Tony Robbins-LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

JAD
06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I carry IWB at 3:30 with a 15 degree cant, though I'd prefer 10-12. This creates a bad wrist angle but prints least. It is invisibly comfortable with a lightweight commander on a 1.25" belt.

Happypuppy
06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
15 percent works for me very well. It is one of those play with it until it is right for your body , arm length etc. some holsters are very adjustable for can't as well to make it easy

Sent from my 300 baud modem

F-Trooper05
06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Whatever degree cant RCS uses with their Phantom is what I like.