PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Range: Business Plan

Lawrence
04-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Two angel investors from New York are very interested in my business model for an outdoor shooting range. I'm fine tuning the business plan so I don't screw up the presentation, plus, this is the blueprint for how I'll run the business.

I could use some help, affirmation, and confirmation as to the clarity and accuracy of the details I'm laying out. I'm at the section where I have to describe each product or service I'm selling. Right now my focus is on "shooting sports" and how it generates revenue for the range owner. I need to be fairly accurate with these numbers because in the end it relates directly to my projected revenues.

First, before addressing income, I'd like your opinions on the way I explained how competition shooting is structured in relation to shooting organizations, members, affiliated clubs, and ranges. Thank you.

Shooting Activities

In general there are four main shooting activities: recreational, hunting, target competition and self-defense.

Shooting Sports

A shooting sport is a competitive sport involving tests of proficiency (accuracy and speed) using various types of guns. Shooting sports are categorized by the type of firearm, targets, and distances at which the targets are shot.

Shooting Sports Organizations and Associations

These are governing bodies of shooting sports that sanction international, national, regional, and local matches, competitions, and events. The intention of these organizations is to create administrative bodies to standardize rules and regulations for the shooting sport they represent. Shooters join these organizations and become members to shoot and compete at local clubs where they are classified based upon skill level, and scores are recorded and posted.

Gun Clubs

Also described as shooting clubs or leagues, these are a group of shooters organized to compete among themselves informally, and/or become affiliated with a shooting sport organization to hold officially sanctioned matches. Gun clubs must find a range to host their activities, may be members of a shooting range that allows them to conduct activities or, the shooting range owner may from its own gun club.

So far, am I representing correctly how this is structured...as it relates to how I will generate revenue? And that's where I'm stuck.

As the range owner that will form an affiliated club with a shooting sports organization, I know it's generally acceptable, to charge $15 for members and $20 for nonmembers to shoot in a sanctioned match, and that I keep all proceeds aside from fees I must pay to the sanctioning body. Correct?

Suppose I don't form a club, how does it generally work then...as a revenue stream? What if I'm approached by A's Gun Club, affiliated with IDPA but not members of my range, and I say yes when asked to host their matches? Is there a standard rule for what to charge? Do I supply all the targets, stands, pasters, etc... or do they?

Suppose I don't form a club but members from my range did: B's Gun Club. They want to hold an IDPA match (at the club they're a members of)...how does that work? Do I not charge B's Gun Club because they're in fact members of my range?:confused:

It's much appreciated for anyone who knows proper protocol for these different monetary arrangements...unless there are none...in which case I'm assuming I just gotta wing it till we come to an agreement, no?

Thanks again everyone.:)

Lawrence
04-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Another question. While researching and detailing my marketing approach I can't help but wonder why my competitors hold matches only once a month? Why don't they hold IDPA every saturday of the month and Steel Challenge every sunday of the month? Are there rules against it?

HopetonBrown
04-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Unpaid volunteers have lives outside of shooting.

Lawrence
04-02-2015, 04:21 AM
Unpaid volunteers have lives outside of shooting.

Heh-heh ;), beside that, if I got a great marketing plan and facility to pull shooters in, I could hold a sanctioned match everyday if I wanted... or am I missing something in the regulations?

cclaxton
04-02-2015, 06:41 AM
There is no standard rule on what to charge. The NRA Range charges $25 for a 5 stage IDPA Match that is normally shot in one hour.

But the issue is paid staff versus volunteer staff. Getting volunteers to be at a match more than twice a month will be asking a lot.

Paid staff is best, but then you have that overhead cost.

There are already a lot of ranges offering IDPA/USPSA in the Orlando area....have you looked at whether the market can handle the additional competitor?
Cody

BaiHu
04-02-2015, 07:27 AM
I would mention the organizations and have official material available for them to peruse. Your investor may not know all that much about the gun sports even if they own a gun. Besides a business plan has to minimize its assumptions given that revenue stream is already the mother of all assumptions.

That and what Cody and others said about matches. Besides, if you're running a range that you can never shoot at because there's a competition everyday, you'll quit that range in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

okie john
04-02-2015, 11:34 AM
My father had a major hand in running a large members-only range when I was a kid, and I worked in the range business for years after I got out of the Army. What you’re shared here is OK as far as it goes, but I’d be careful about relying on action matches to drive much—if any—revenue.

The problem is that matches limit the number of people who can use your range, like a theater where only one person can watch a movie at a time. Match stages take time to set up and tear down, and your range is offline/not making money when people are downrange for any reason. Matches are good for helping shooters socialize, bringing new people to your range, and creating awareness of your range as a place to shoot, but if your firing lines aren’t full of people all shooting at the same time, then you’re probably not making money. Unfortunately, this goes for hosting classes to some extent as well.

I’d also be wary of relying on shooting clubs or discipline-related organizations if money is involved. Most of their members are all but broke, and the organizations they join tend to be run by people who have a passing interest in shooting and a far larger interest in telling other people how to behave. (Yes, some of these people are pure as the driven snow and have only our best interests at heart, but they tend to get sick of the BS and get away from the running of clubs very quickly.) In my experience, these folks are easily offended, they expect special privileges and discounts, and they will take their money elsewhere at the slightest provocation.

Instead of focusing on matches, I’d look for other ways to drive revenue (sales of ammo, accessories, memberships, etc.) and for safeguarding your investment (having a robust safety program to include environmental hazards, sufficient insurance, a range fan/baffle system that truly keeps rounds from leaving your property, etc.)

If you run a range, it makes a lot of sense to think of yourself as being in the entertainment business. You’ll be busy when theaters and malls are busy—evenings, weekends, and holidays—and the customers who generate the most profit will not be shooters, but the ones who buy high-margin goods like ammo, accessories, and other stuff.

PM me if you have other questions.

Okie John

Lawrence
04-02-2015, 12:20 PM
There is no standard rule on what to charge. The NRA Range charges $25 for a 5 stage IDPA Match that is normally shot in one hour.

But the issue is paid staff versus volunteer staff. Getting volunteers to be at a match more than twice a month will be asking a lot.

Paid staff is best, but then you have that overhead cost.

There are already a lot of ranges offering IDPA/USPSA in the Orlando area....have you looked at whether the market can handle the additional competitor?
Cody

Thanks for your input Cody. Yes, employees will be running matches (with or without volunteer support). To officiate, my RSOs will be certified to crossover as ROs, my cashier will collect fees, my Event/Membership Coordinator will crossover to act as Match Directer, I’ll do most of the stage design, and range maintenance personnel will setup/tear down/store equipment. I don’t think I’ll have trouble finding scorekeepers.

Yes, I took a year off to conduct primary and secondary research. I spoke to competitors, customers, suppliers, range owners, section coordinators, etc., individually, in groups, and through phone surveys, and dug as deeply as possible (industry reports, government data, etc.) for information about the industry and my targeted market. I definitely will be calling on Orlando but they are not my target customers, at least not now.

I would mention the organizations and have official material available for them to peruse. Your investor may not know all that much about the gun sports even if they own a gun. Besides a business plan has to minimize its assumptions given that revenue stream is already the mother of all assumptions.

That and what Cody and others said about matches. Besides, if you're running a range that you can never shoot at because there's a competition everyday, you'll quit that range in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

Thanks Bai. You’re absolutely correct, and I already included all shooting associations, how they reach shooters ( websites, social media outlets: twitter, facebook, blogs, magazines, etc.), how large they are (number of active members), and how they connect members to matches are being held (match calendars). I’ll update my post for review that includes all this..if you don't mind.

Running matches every day was said in jest to make sure it wasn’t prohibited. ;) However, as a marketing strategy, I’ll be incorporating IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, SASS, ICORE, 3 Gun, and 2 Gun clinics into my daily training and events that I will hold daily, i.e., organizational fundraisers, charity events, corporate outings, parties, team building events, firearms training, youth shooting programs, First Shots, etc. This will be a fun and friendly introduction (I think) to competitive shooting that will hopefully entice new shooters to come out and participate in official matches…and also buy a membership at my range.

The range is designed with enough bays and firing points where wait times for everyday recreational shooters will not be an issue when other events are taking place…ideally.:rolleyes:

Good luck.

This has been such daunting journey that you have no idea how much those two words of encouragement mean to me. Thanks for your kindness Bai.:)

ford.304
04-02-2015, 01:14 PM
The range is designed with enough bays and firing points where wait times for everyday recreational shooters will not be an issue when other events are taking place…ideally.:rolleyes:

Heh, you're more optimistic than I am. Even on non-match days you can't get into any of the local indoor ranges on weekends, or Thursday-Friday nights without an hour wait.

BaiHu
04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
*SNIP*
This has been such daunting journey that you have no idea how much those two words of encouragement mean to me. Thanks for your kindness Bai.:)

I'm knee deep in my own journey, so I know the difficulties now are worth the pain and agony you'll save yourself from later. Besides, my business is a hell of a lot less complicated than yours. Your business is in death rays after all [emoji13]

One thing I think might be worth you pursuing is something I'll pm you in case no one else has thought of it.

Lawrence
04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
My father had a major hand in running a large members-only range when I was a kid, and I worked in the range business for years after I got out of the Army. What you’re shared here is OK as far as it goes, but I’d be careful about relying on action matches to drive much—if any—revenue.

The problem is that matches limit the number of people who can use your range, like a theater where only one person can watch a movie at a time. Match stages take time to set up and tear down, and your range is offline/not making money when people are downrange for any reason. Matches are good for helping shooters socialize, bringing new people to your range, and creating awareness of your range as a place to shoot, but if your firing lines aren’t full of people all shooting at the same time, then you’re probably not making money. Unfortunately, this goes for hosting classes to some extent as well.

I’d also be wary of relying on shooting clubs or discipline-related organizations if money is involved. Most of their members are all but broke, and the organizations they join tend to be run by people who have a passing interest in shooting and a far larger interest in telling other people how to behave. (Yes, some of these people are pure as the driven snow and have only our best interests at heart, but they tend to get sick of the BS and get away from the running of clubs very quickly.) In my experience, these folks are easily offended, they expect special privileges and discounts, and they will take their money elsewhere at the slightest provocation.

Instead of focusing on matches, I’d look for other ways to drive revenue (sales of ammo, accessories, memberships, etc.) and for safeguarding your investment (having a robust safety program to include environmental hazards, sufficient insurance, a range fan/baffle system that truly keeps rounds from leaving your property, etc.)

If you run a range, it makes a lot of sense to think of yourself as being in the entertainment business. You’ll be busy when theaters and malls are busy—evenings, weekends, and holidays—and the customers who generate the most profit will not be shooters, but the ones who buy high-margin goods like ammo, accessories, and other stuff.

PM me if you have other questions.

Okie John

Your experience is obvious. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you've said is right on point:

2. Organized shooting sports help with operating costs but they are part of your marketing strategy - they are not profit centers (many ranges fail to realize that).

3. The range must be large enough to accommodate all shooters, regardless what events are taking place.

4. A Pro Shop that will offer a full line of firearms, ammunition, shooting accessories, and rentals (guns, ears, eyes, etc.) is mandatory.

The most critical point though - in my opinion:

1. Master customer service skills and implement that training with everyone on your team. This must be the the most vital part (your number one priority) of how your business operates.

Like I said, I started this about a year ago. I rented a range and set off with targets and guns to instruct a group of students. As usual, during my lunch break, I scanned the disheveled appearance of the empty facility and watched two cars drive in and then leave after being greeted by the stoic range owner. By the end of the day, disheartened and condemnatory, I realized I could no longer witness poor service, loss of customers, and loss of reputation to the shooting industry. Then and there, in a moment I now call “the oracle spoke,” the inspiration for my own range was born.

Ranges, and the alpha males that run them, are driving away shooters. Customers will not stand to be dressed down in front of their children anymore for minor safety violations. Last week, at an IDPA match, I watched a couple drive-up. You could tell they were new shooters (eye’s wide with intimidation, meek body language, etc.). The minute they stepped out of the car an RSO ran to them screaming, “EYES AND EARS, EYES AND EARS!!!” Scared the bejesus out of ‘em. Well, guess what this couple did next?

As a CRSO I instruct all my RSOs to be firm, be observant, but be magnanimous. I’m not saying justifiable outrage is not warranted for repeat offenders, but the days of chest thumping all in the name of “safety” is over. Just look at the new breed of “Guntry Clubs” that are opening. Except for a few, these owners have no experience in the shooting industry. These were business men that went to a range with friends and were appalled by how they were treated. After doing it a few more times, to confirm their suspicions, they realized a gold mine. To date, they are very lucrative (I don't believe that will continue) solely based on the experience they are selling: impeccable, unchained, customer satisfaction delivered with a genuine sense of kindness, warmth, and enjoyment.

Sorry for the rant.:(

PM me if you have other questions. Okie John

You're gonna regret saying that. ;) Thanks for your insight John.

okie john
04-02-2015, 04:16 PM
4. A Pro Shop that will offer a full line of firearms, ammunition, shooting accessories, and rentals (guns, ears, eyes, etc.) is mandatory.

Nope.

You need a Pro Shop, but go deep on stuff your clientele prefers instead of going broad on stuff they MIGHT want. Big difference. Also, with just one location, you'll never have the clout of Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Dicks. They can dictate terms to manufacturers, while you could end up getting stuck with a bunch of 325 WSMs that they didn't want and your rep can't move anywhere else.

You're gonna regret saying that.

Already there.

Okie John

JV_
04-02-2015, 04:19 PM

If one is going to offer gun rentals at a range, you should familiarize yourself with the rental gun suicide issues. In the past 10 years, there's been a handful at one particular range in my area.

ragnar_d
04-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Ranges, and the alpha males that run them, are driving away shooters. Customers will not stand to be dressed down in front of their children anymore for minor safety violations. Last week, at an IDPA match, I watched a couple drive-up. You could tell they were new shooters (eye’s wide with intimidation, meek body language, etc.). The minute they stepped out of the car an RSO ran to them screaming, “EYES AND EARS, EYES AND EARS!!!” Scared the bejesus out of ‘em. Well, guess what this couple did next?
I think you're on to something there. I've seen that happen on more than one occasion and have had it happen a couple times. At one indoor range it was a combination of a know-it-all CRO with all the people skills of Bullet-Tooth Tony and another RO that spent all his time telling people they were shooting wrong and should $ign up for his cla$$ to learn how to shoot more better-er. All I wanted to do was zero my G34 and not be bothered. I accomplished the task at hand and vowed to not go back to that range ever again. I ended up getting a membership at a range that was farther away and more expensive just so I could shoot without the hassle.

The other one I dealt with was an outlaw-style match (kind of IDPA crossed with 3-gun and then tactical'ed up a bit more). It was a match that very much catered to the tactical crowd and the MD showed a good bit of disdain for "gamers" and stuff that would get you "killed in da streets". I think my coworkers and I made it to 2-3 matches before we just got tired of it and focused on other matches.

I think you're definitely on the right track with how you're approaching the RO's behavior & training. I know the range I had a membership at had RO's that behaved much in much the same manner as you describe and my experience was that much better because of it.

GardoneVT
04-02-2015, 10:32 PM
I think you're on to something there. I've seen that happen on more than one occasion and have had it happen a couple times. At one indoor range it was a combination of a know-it-all CRO with all the people skills of Bullet-Tooth Tony and another RO that spent all his time telling people they were shooting wrong and should $ign up for his cla$$ to learn how to shoot more better-er. All I wanted to do was zero my G34 and not be bothered. I accomplished the task at hand and vowed to not go back to that range ever again. I ended up getting a membership at a range that was farther away and more expensive just so I could shoot without the hassle.

The other one I dealt with was an outlaw-style match (kind of IDPA crossed with 3-gun and then tactical'ed up a bit more). It was a match that very much catered to the tactical crowd and the MD showed a good bit of disdain for "gamers" and stuff that would get you "killed in da streets". I think my coworkers and I made it to 2-3 matches before we just got tired of it and focused on other matches.

I think you're definitely on the right track with how you're approaching the RO's behavior & training. I know the range I had a membership at had RO's that behaved much in much the same manner as you describe and my experience was that much better because of it.

As a new RSO at a very new gun range, I'll offer the following.

One-staff selection is critical. They need to be people with people /customer service skills first, then gun knowledge. Oftentimes range owners-including the ones who run mine- select people in the opposite order. Then you get the problem of RSOs with a power trip because they know about guns , and then proselyte their favorite brands to the lasting annoyance of everyone.

Two-stick to selling range related gear like targets, ammo, and for the love of Pete BUY QUALITY PRODUCT. I don't think I said that loud enough....BUY QUALITY PRODUCT TO SELL.

Right now my range is facing a logistical pickle,because the low-bidder ammo supplier we picked is having major QC issues with bad primers and and our customers have noticed. Now management has to decide what to do with all that substandard ammo.

Three-Have a multi-layered plan for safety which assumes 99% of your customers have never heard of the 4 Rules. Make sure that safety plan includes comprehensive checking of patrons' weapons by trained staff BEFORE they go to the firing line. One negligent discharge which causes injury or death can shut you down for good. I feel like a total hypocrite saying this given how much I mentally bellyache about not drawing from the holster here, but prohibiting holster draws for non-class participating or LE shooters should be stamped in stone outside the range door. Most shooters can't even transport their guns from the check in desk to the lane without violating two of four rules.

Last point, and it ties into the subject of safety-decide how you'll deal with legally concealed weapons.My range permits permit holders to carry into the lanes without prior check-in, but whatever pistol they wear into the firing area has to be carried out while holstered. This is a very good policy from the "Murrica" perspective , but I can see us ending up at "no loaded handguns allowed" the moment someone screws the pooch safety wise. Which sadly could be any day now, given Point 3. You might save yourself future trouble by prohibiting armed CCW on the shooting line, or you might trigger a derptasm riot. Up to you.

Hopefully these points help out.

Lawrence
04-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Nope.

You need a Pro Shop, but go deep on stuff your clientele prefers instead of going broad on stuff they MIGHT want. Big difference.

I apologize. I came here for honest critique but wasted your time because of my sloppy writing.:( What you quoted was what I wrote, but it’s not written in my business plan. Sorry John, from now on I will be clear and concise so that you folks can give me the proper assessment and advice - for which I am grateful.

Allow me the redo:

4. A Pro Shop that will offer a full line of firearms, ammunition, shooting accessories, and rentals (guns, ears, eyes, etc.), aimed at its target market , is mandatory.

Trust me, this past year I’ve spent more than enough time studying the “marketing mix” and I should have known better. Again, thanks.:)

Lawrence
04-03-2015, 03:08 AM
If one is going to offer gun rentals at a range, you should familiarize yourself with the rental gun suicide issues. In the past 10 years, there's been a handful at one particular range in my area.

I rejected your suggestion and went back to my profit, margin, and markup calculations in trying to figure out where the distortion was. But even with the distraction it kept gnawing at me. Then suddenly at 3:50 this morning my mind whispers, “The fate of the fool will overtake you." "Enough!” I thought. So looking for nothing I google:

“gun rental suicides” (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gun+rental+suicides)

What came next hit me like a ton of bricks - I was stunned. The second link brought me to my own backyard:

Gun rentals stopped at Shoot Straight. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-01-10/news/os-gun-rentals-stopped-shoot-straight-20140108_1_oak-ridge-gun-range-gun-range-suicides-shoot-straight)

Here I’m blathering about market research, how I dug as deeply as possible for information about the industry, yada yada yada…but what's readily apparently is that I don't know jack.

I keep shooting parables for when my students get saucy. I can’t explain the cause and effect on why, but this one sums up the lesson I learned this morning:

After winning several shooting contests, the young and rather boastful champion challenged a Grand Master who was renowned for his skill as a shooter. The young man demonstrated remarkable technical proficiency when he hit a distant bull's eye on his first try, and then hit a perfect double with his second shot. "There," he said to the old man, "see if you can match that!" Undisturbed, the master did not draw his pistol , but rather motioned for the young shooter to follow him up the mountain. Curious about the old fellow's intentions, the champion followed him high into the mountain until they reached a deep chasm spanned by a rather flimsy and shaky log. Calmly stepping out onto the middle of the unsteady and certainly perilous bridge, the old master picked a far away tree as a target, drew his gun, and fired a clean, direct hit. "Now it is your turn," he said as he gracefully stepped back onto the safe ground. Staring with terror into the seemingly bottomless and beckoning abyss, the young man could not force himself to step out onto the log, no less shoot at a target. "You have much skill with your gun," the master said, sensing his challenger's predicament, "but you have little skill with the mind that lets loose the shot."

I definitely need to take a second look at rentals.Thanks JV.:)

Tamara
04-03-2015, 08:06 AM
I believe after a dude shot himself with a rental 629 (that I took in on trade and put in the rental counter with my own two hands) a former employer of mine started a policy like that mentioned by OAK here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10962-Suicide-By-Gun-Epidemic-in-Florida&p=191742&viewfull=1#post191742) of only renting guns to people who had come in with one of their own.

JV_
04-03-2015, 08:12 AM
only renting guns to people who had come in with one of their own.I like that idea.

I think a soak time might help too, where new range members (that don't have a gun) can't rent a firearm for X number of days.

Tamara
04-03-2015, 08:28 AM
I think a soak time might help too, where new range members (that don't have a gun) can't rent a firearm for X number of days.

We did something similar for SMG rentals, in that someone needed to have used the range three times before renting full auto. This ensured that the buzzguns were only rented by people who had demonstrated at least a small track record of range visits with no egregious safety violations.

Trav
04-03-2015, 11:23 AM
As a CRSO I instruct all my RSOs to be firm, be observant, but be magnanimous.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, but there is a whole 'nuther thread here about not using big words around shooters. :D

Best of luck!

okie john
04-03-2015, 02:03 PM
I apologize. I came here for honest critique but wasted your time because of my sloppy writing.:( What you quoted was what I wrote, but it’s not written in my business plan. Sorry John, from now on I will be clear and concise so that you folks can give me the proper assessment and advice - for which I am grateful.

Allow me the redo:

Trust me, this past year I’ve spent more than enough time studying the “marketing mix” and I should have known better. Again, thanks.:)

I called that out because I tried to make a similar mistake on my first start-up range in 1995. At the time I understood that shooting gear was a regional thing--more people in Montana buy 338 WM Model 70s than people in Pennsylvania do--but I didn't realize the extent to which shops in the same area would differ in what sells.

I was the Range Manager, having been hired away from the only public range in the county, which had a small pro shop that did a steady though not spectacular business. Our Retail Manager had been poached from a local retail shop that did at least 10x the business that my place had done. We were deciding what merchandise to have on hand the day we opened, and I started to run down a list of S&W revolvers in all four frame sizes, which had been huge sellers for us. The Retail guy basically laughed at me. He ordered a couple of hundred high-end semi autos, and a couple of J-frames to shut me up. Of course, the semis sold like proverbial hotcakes and the revolvers sat on the shelf for months until a retiree bought one almost by accident.

For ten years, our shops had operated no more than 15 miles apart, and I thought that our demographics would be almost identical. They were not. My range drew older, more conservative shooters, while the Retail guy's people were younger, more affluent, and utterly uninterested in revolvers.

Go figure...

Okie John

DamonL
04-03-2015, 02:30 PM
The NRA has a whole department on Range Development and Operations.

They are having a conference in May,

http://range.nra.org/range-development-conference.aspx

They also have online training and a Range Services Department.

http://range.nra.org/range-technical-team.aspx

Lawrence
04-25-2015, 10:18 PM
RE: Business Plan

Can someone explain what the FBI means when it says, "... a one-to-one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale."?

I understand slight variances exist for those denied, but doesn't a NICS check basically imply a gun sale took place? Or do they mean the numbers reflected can be higher because multiple gun sales can be made with one call? Just double checking - thanks.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/armed/BUSINESS%20PLAN/c2c2cc18-cbf7-461e-b57b-4f4356b18e5b_zps1wnkugla.png (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/armed/media/BUSINESS%20PLAN/c2c2cc18-cbf7-461e-b57b-4f4356b18e5b_zps1wnkugla.png.html)

HCM
04-25-2015, 10:49 PM
A NICS check is required for pawn redemptions of firearms and for transfers conducted via an FFL which are not necessarily sales such as a family gift or a person moving into a state with gun licensing requirements who can't possess the gun until license / residence requirements are met.

BaiHu
04-25-2015, 10:52 PM
From my understanding, it's what you said here:

Or do they mean the numbers reflected can be higher because multiple gun sales can be made with one call? Just double checking - thanks.

And what the smarter guys said while I was typing.

Lawrence
04-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Alright, so there is a lot of variables, and these numbers can't be trusted to gauge the health of the firearms retail market . Thank you.

BaiHu
04-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Alright, so there is a lot of variables, and these numbers can't be trusted to gauge the health of the firearms retail market . Thank you.
I wouldn't say that. If you dig deeper into some states like UT, IIRC, you'll find that there will be a "spike" of NICS that denote a yearly "check" on CCW holders.

Again, IIRC, you might want to make two lists: one with states like that and another with states like mine, NJ.

Once you see what months are "spiked" with CCW checks, you can begin to smooth out the data trend.

I'll post an article I know someone wrote on this type of trend for stock market research when I find it again.

Lawrence
04-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Thank Bai.:)

LostDuke
04-26-2015, 12:54 AM
On the topic of suicides at the range: one rule that is being enforced by a friend of mine owner of a range is that if you want to rent a gun you must be with a buddy. The logic is that people will not blow their head off with a friend standing next to them. I can't say it works, just submitting it for discussion and possible consideration.