View Full Version : SilencerCo's brilliant Salvo marketing campaign

LittleLebowski
04-01-2015, 05:42 PM
I love the call he used to lure in the prey :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXwQVFt8Ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5QrVmWU-I

TR675
04-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Guy I know in the industry says Silencerco may not be the gold standard for suppressors but they're the absolute gold standard for marketing.

Eta: neither he nor I were/are knocking Silencerco.

LittleLebowski
04-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Guy I know in the industry says Silencerco may not be the gold standard for suppressors but they're the absolute gold standard for marketing.

I'll get back with you when I get my four SilencerCo suppressors in :D

TR675
04-01-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm expecting my first in about a week :D

LittleLebowski
04-01-2015, 08:59 PM
I think I hate you.

Says the guy with more toys than I :D

ReverendMeat
04-01-2015, 09:58 PM

Not to derail the thread, but what is the gold standard for suppressors these days? My only experience is with Silencerco/SWR products.

TR675
04-01-2015, 10:51 PM
He said Surefire and AAC.

I couldn't tell you if he's right or not, or even if he is really qualified to make that call. I will say that Surefire and AAC have mil contracts which I think says something, although I'm in no position to tell you exactly what. I got the feeling he meant it similarly to someone saying that Colt is the gold standard for AR's, where Colt is the standard because its rifles have been tested in the crucible and found acceptable.

I really was throwing that statement out there as a kudos to Silencerco's marketing dept, which really is great, and not a slam on their design, materials, etc. which as far as I know are all just gravy. I appreciate their innovative streak too.

LittleLebowski
04-01-2015, 11:03 PM
An SME here is not a fan of Surefire suppressors. I would listen to him.

RoyGBiv
04-02-2015, 09:07 AM
I love the call he used to lure in the prey :D
Quite baudy

Peally
04-02-2015, 09:09 AM

I always thought of Surefire suppressors as the more cadillac models. Who's got what issues with them? Simply curious is all

LittleLebowski
04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
I always thought of Surefire suppressors as the more cadillac models. Who's got what issues with them? Simply curious is all

Here's what information you can get.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13412-Surefire-suppressor-discussion/page2

Super77
04-03-2015, 04:58 PM
I'll get back with you when I get my four SilencerCo suppressors in :D

Which ones did you get? I was so impressed with my Octane that I'm getting ready to order two more.

LittleLebowski
04-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Which ones did you get? I was so impressed with my Octane that I'm getting ready to order two more.

Saker 762 (762 and 556 end caps), Saker 556, Warlock II, and Spectre II.

punkey71
04-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Saker 762 (762 and 556 end caps), Saker 556, Warlock II, and Spectre II.

I was flip flopping between the Spectre & Warlock and ended up ordering the Spectre.

I'm curious what the weight difference will actually feel like on the end of a pistol.

Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Odin Bravo One
04-04-2015, 12:05 AM

I am not against SF suppressors........... the point I was trying to make is that just because it has name recognition, is used by the CKC, or costs more doesn't make it a better suppressor than others. In the case of recent SF suppressors, given the small sample of a few hundred, I was not overly impressed with them.

There are a lot of things that go into adoption of weapons and gear by the military, and there are plenty of quality brands of suppressors (and other accessories) that are not in use by whiz bang units.............

LittleLebowski
04-04-2015, 07:55 AM
I am not against SF suppressors........... the point I was trying to make is that just because it has name recognition, is used by the CKC, or costs more doesn't make it a better suppressor than others. In the case of recent SF suppressors, given the small sample of a few hundred, I was not overly impressed with them.

There are a lot of things that go into adoption of weapons and gear by the military, and there are plenty of quality brands of suppressors (and other accessories) that are not in use by whiz bang units.............

Copy and thanks for the clarification.

Josh Runkle
04-04-2015, 08:51 AM
He said Surefire and AAC.

I couldn't tell you if he's right or not, or even if he is really qualified to make that call. I will say that Surefire and AAC have mil contracts which I think says something, although I'm in no position to tell you exactly what. I got the feeling he meant it similarly to someone saying that Colt is the gold standard for AR's, where Colt is the standard because its rifles have been tested in the crucible and found acceptable.

I really was throwing that statement out there as a kudos to Silencerco's marketing dept, which really is great, and not a slam on their design, materials, etc. which as far as I know are all just gravy. I appreciate their innovative streak too.

My subjective, personal opinion is quite the opposite about AAC. They constantly focus on explaining why they are testing this or that to make the quietest suppressor in a certain category. The NFA civilian market largely focuses on sound, specifically db reduction, which is pretty low on my radar as to what I am personally looking for out of a suppressor. I have always thought that AAC was the gold standard of marketing, but not the gold standard in products.

TR675
04-04-2015, 12:36 PM
As noted - just relaying someone else's unattributed opinion - take it for what it's worth. When I was in the market for a suppressor, I went with Silencerco because of their combination of a good rep, multiple mounting options, price and availability.

Honestly I find it hard to believe the average civvy user would be served measurably better by one quality brand over another, all things considered.

LOKNLOD
04-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Quite baudy

:slowclap:

Odin Bravo One
04-05-2015, 11:09 AM
The NFA civilian market largely focuses on sound, specifically db reduction,

And here is the first obstacle a purchaser must overcome........... what db reduction does a given suppressor provide? For which caliber? Using what ammo?

Answer: There is no standard. Companies use different measurements and data points to make their db reduction claims. The amount they claim means two things to me, and Jack left town.

Tom, I'll jot something down regarding your questions in the next couple of days.

dookie1481
04-06-2015, 12:45 AM
And here is the first obstacle a purchaser must overcome........... what db reduction does a given suppressor provide? For which caliber? Using what ammo?

Answer: There is no standard. Companies use different measurements and data points to make their db reduction claims. The amount they claim means two things to me, and Jack left town.

Tom, I'll jot something down regarding your questions in the next couple of days.

So true. Even using industry standard testing, there are massive variances due to ammo, altitude, etc.

I generally tell customers to disregard reduction numbers as a criteria for suppressor selection. As long as they are reasonably close, there are more important things.

dookie1481
04-06-2015, 12:52 AM
My opinion, as a guy that sells them and has no stake in what you choose: Silencerco Saker, Surefire SOCOM, AAC M4-2000 (maybe SR5 if it is like the M4-2000). I don't think you will be unhappy with any one of these. Our range has an old M4-2000 with at least 200K rounds through it. Lost a few dB, and weighs a pound more due to carbon build up, but still works well.

Dead Air Sandman-L has my reluctant approval based on very limited round exposure. Mounting solution seemed top-notch and of course having Mike Pappas behind it doesn't hurt.

BWT
04-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks!

Maybe we should create a sticky?

I know a lot of stuff was covered back in 2013 in this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9134-Silencer-Questions

Now given Sean's experience and some info is dated a lot of things were universal truths. My posts were way too long in that thread but it's not a bad read.

I'm not trying to boss you around but since we have a dedicated NFA forum now. It might make things easier because these questions I think will become more common place.

TR675
04-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Slight thread drift, but I've got this to say about the SilencerShop: great customer service, great at making these things easy to buy, and damn if they don't ship suppressors right to your door with "SilencerShop" written all over the packaging.

Retards. And I'm a retard for choosing that option.

dookie1481
04-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Slight thread drift, but I've got this to say about the SilencerShop: great customer service, great at making these things easy to buy, and damn if they don't ship suppressors right to your door with "SilencerShop" written all over the packaging.

Retards. And I'm a retard for choosing that option.

They don't send them to an FFL?

LHS
04-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Speaking of brilliant marketing...

http://frontpage.thewindhameagle.com/2015/04/boy-scout-camp-to-adopt-sound.html?m=1

Now Boy Scouts in Maine will get to play with Salvo-equipped shotguns at summer camp.

LittleLebowski
04-15-2015, 06:11 AM
Speaking of brilliant marketing...

http://frontpage.thewindhameagle.com/2015/04/boy-scout-camp-to-adopt-sound.html?m=1

Now Boy Scouts in Maine will get to play with Salvo-equipped shotguns at summer camp.

Wow. Well done, very well done.

BWT
04-15-2015, 02:58 PM
That's a reason to buy Gemtech or Silencerco. Kel (then part time owner of GemTech) really helped/encouraged me during the ATF 41P commenting period.

I've never met the guy, but I'm proud to say I knew him (haven't talked much since).