PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 experts question

Dagga Boy
03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
I have decided I need to break down and get on of these things. I know we have some SME's on them here. What is the difference between the regular one and the WC II's? Just want to make sure I am getting the best thing I can.

Also.....I hate the grip inserts. Any solutions yet? I love Caleb's modified version from his blog and want to get something similar.

Hizzie
03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Wiley Clapp GP100

Latest generation of trigger - no need for shims.
Black powder cut to leading edge of cylinder.
Novak plain rear sight.
Novak gold bead front sight.

There are plenty of aftermarket makers of grip inserts for the Lett grips. Altamonts and Chiggs immediately come to mind. If you want to toss the rubber altogether then Hogue, Badger, Eagle and Jurwan (ebay) can help you out.

Dagga Boy
03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Sorry Hizzie, I meant between the Wiley Clapp variants. I know I want the WC ok stead of a regular GP100, and I want the black one. I just saw some ads for a "II" version and did not know the difference......if any.

Robinson
03-30-2015, 12:49 PM
What do you hate about the grip inserts? They are probably Altamonts -- they also make their panels in silver black finish I think.

If you like wood but just hate the Altamonts, this guy has some nice ones for sale:

http://timsworkshop.blogspot.com/p/full-size-gp100super-redhawk-grip.html

Jeep
03-30-2015, 12:53 PM
I have decided I need to break down and get on of these things. I know we have some SME's on them here. What is the difference between the regular one and the WC II's? Just want to make sure I am getting the best thing I can.

Also.....I hate the grip inserts. Any solutions yet? I love Caleb's modified version from his blog and want to get something similar.

Not to get too personal or anything, but now that you are buying a measurable quantity of high quality revolvers in the US every month, how are you going to store them all? With all the safes you must also be buying isn't the floor going to collapse soon?

In other words, aren't you going to leave any for the rest of us?

Hizzie
03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Sorry Hizzie, I meant between the Wiley Clapp variants. I know I want the WC ok stead of a regular GP100, and I want the black one. I just saw some ads for a "II" version and did not know the difference......if any.

Both are special editions for Talo. They waaay surpassed the limited edition production numbers.

WCI - bead blasted SS, Novak green FO front sight
WCII- Hawkeye matte blue, Novak gold bead front sight

Otherwise they are the same best I can tell.

jetfire
03-30-2015, 01:28 PM
The matte blue/black one is the heat. I did two different things with the grips; the first time I used CTC grips, but those weren't relieved quite right for Comp-IIIs, so I switched back to the standard Ruger rubber insert grips. But because I'm a smarty every day, I used the black inserts that had come with my Crimson Trace grips instead of the wood Ruger inserts, so I had a nice uniform flat-black people-popper.

Dagga Boy
03-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Not to get too personal or anything, but now that you are buying a measurable quantity of high quality revolvers in the US every month, how are you going to store them all? With all the safes you must also be buying isn't the floor going to collapse soon?

In other words, aren't you going to leave any for the rest of us?

I just turned 50 and am having a crisis. I already have the red head, don't fit in a Corvette, so I figure cornering the cool revolver market is a pretty harmless mid life crisis remedy. Some have seen my safe. It's my retirement account. I don't understand the stock market, but do understand the gun market. I have all the good modern polymer guns I could ever really "need", so now it am buying stuff I really like. I like revolvers. I like working with them and they give me joy. I shot my 27-2 this weekend before class....it made me happy.

Realistically, I have been buying and trading into a ton of really neat Smith's because I like them and like neat guns. Practically, I generally like having a boomer in the car that is grab accessible and that is a very viable revolver role. I also have to find a NY gun for this summer. As a daily carry gun for out of state, that needs to be replaceable and not some weird one off custom Smith. This is why I am looking hard at the Ruger, because a similarly configured 686 isn't really out there that isn't a weird small run for Lou Horton, or Camfour or similar.

Dagga Boy
03-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Both are special editions for Talo. They waaay surpassed the limited edition production numbers.

WCI - bead blasted SS, Novak green FO front sight
WCII- Hawkeye matte blue, Novak gold bead front sight

Otherwise they are the same best I can tell.

Caleb and Hizzie, that is exactly what I needed. WC II is what I want then.

Jeep
03-30-2015, 02:47 PM
I just turned 50 and am having a crisis. I already have the red head, don't fit in a Corvette, so I figure cornering the cool revolver market is a pretty harmless mid life crisis remedy. Some have seen my safe. It's my retirement account. I don't understand the stock market, but do understand the gun market. I have all the good modern polymer guns I could ever really "need", so now it am buying stuff I really like. I like revolvers. I like working with them and they give me joy. I shot my 27-2 this weekend before class....it made me happy.

Realistically, I have been buying and trading into a ton of really neat Smith's because I like them and like neat guns. Practically, I generally like having a boomer in the car that is grab accessible and that is a very viable revolver role. I also have to find a NY gun for this summer. As a daily carry gun for out of state, that needs to be replaceable and not some weird one off custom Smith. This is why I am looking hard at the Ruger, because a similarly configured 686 isn't really out there that isn't a weird small run for Lou Horton, or Camfour or similar.

Probably not bad theories. My guess is that 15 years from now your N-frames will have appreciated a lot more that Apple stock, and you will have enjoyed them a whole lot more than the folks who bought Apple.

HCM
03-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Do the WC II's come with gold bead or brass bead fronts? Novaks offers both and the gold bead is noticeably more visible.

Hizzie
03-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Do the WC II's come with gold bead or brass bead fronts? Novaks offers both and the gold bead is noticeably more visible.

Ruger lists it as a gold bead on the website.

Wondering Beard
03-30-2015, 03:42 PM
But Talo lists them as brass bead: http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/ruger-gp-100-wiley-clapp-series357-special-editions

The one I saw at my LGS definitely had a brass bead.

HCM
03-30-2015, 03:47 PM
But Talo lists them as brass bead: http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/ruger-gp-100-wiley-clapp-series357-special-editions

The one I saw at my LGS definitely had a brass bead.

I asked because the colt WC 1911's also have a brass bead. The WC models are all very nice guns but the real gold bead front sights really pop comparedc to the brass. Like an old school HD sight.

Wondering Beard
03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Exactly, which is why I could tell the WC GP100 had a brass bead

I have three 1911s with a gold bead installed (2 Colts, 1 Springfield) and frankly, outside of situations that require tritium, the gold bead definitely beats the FO, as far as I'm concerned, even when the light available gets really low

imp1295
03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
If I had known, I would have brought my WC II to wet your whistle.

But, this looks like a good deal - but I don't really know what a good deal is.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474626361

Chuck

Hizzie
03-30-2015, 05:34 PM
I'll be bringing my pair of WCII's and WC SP101 to the Revolver Round Up.

Totem Polar
03-30-2015, 06:07 PM
WC II is what I want then.

This is true.

Me too, and I would have bought the last one through my LGS if I hadn't gone down a NY-1 rabbit hole with a chain of ex NY wheelies in a row. Nice guns, great sights; though brass the bead might be.

imp1295
03-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I'd need about 5 years and a bunch of support gear to get to where you were when you ran your WC Hizzie. Who am I kidding, that sounds like a fun excuse to go buy stuff.

Hizzie
03-30-2015, 06:42 PM
I'd need about 5 years and a bunch of support gear to get to where you were when you ran your WC Hizzie. Who am I kidding, that sounds like a fun excuse to go buy stuff.

It's actually pretty easy. The trigger is simple, no reset or silliness to remember. Reloads get easy with just a little consistent practice. Soooo many grip options to find the right fit for the hand.

I reallllly wish I had gotten my run at "Turn and Burn" with the WC SP101 on video. Ran it clean stoked with Federal 357B.

BehindBlueI's
03-30-2015, 09:42 PM
If you plan to carry it much, I'd go with the stainless. I had to send my "hawkeye blued" back to Ruger after a few months of carry because the finish was wearing through and it was already showing speckling over the roll mark. They refinished it for free and paid for the shipping both ways, but I've not carried it much since then.

Palisut
08-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Just got mine and want to have the hammer bobbed. Found Caleb's pic on Gunnuts and this looks about perfect. Anyone know where I can have something like this done? Thanks!

jetfire
08-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Just got mine and want to have the hammer bobbed. Found Caleb's pic on Gunnuts and this looks about perfect. Anyone know where I can have something like this done? Thanks!

I was super confused when I opened this post because I was like “man that looks exactly like my old 3 inch murdergun.” Turns out it was.

I had the hammer bobbed and beadblasted by a local dude in Sioux Falls.

jtcarm
08-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Probably not bad theories. My guess is that 15 years from now your N-frames will have appreciated a lot more that Apple stock, and you will have enjoyed them a whole lot more than the folks who bought Apple.

15 years from now, a $1,000 IPhone X won’t be good as a paperweight.

Of course, how many people under the age of 50 know what a paperweight is now?

MGW
08-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Seeing these 3 year old threads pop up is messing with my head.

Cool revolvers though. I had a chance to buy a (barely) used black 3” WC GP100 really cheap a couple months ago and didn’t. The timing was bad for me but I’m kinda regretting it now.

OlongJohnson
08-28-2018, 10:37 PM
I was super confused when I opened this post because I was like “man that looks exactly like my old 3 inch murdergun.” Turns out it was.

I had the hammer bobbed and beadblasted by a local dude in Sioux Falls.

That's just some time in the garage with a cut-off wheel, chalk and file, and sandpaper. Easy.

Willard
08-28-2018, 10:49 PM
That's just some time in the garage with a cut-off wheel, chalk and file, and sandpaper. Easy.

Talk like that is how businesses get started...if you want to start cutting the spurs off hammers and polishing things up nice afterwards, I have a MC hammer that needs a chop.

Willard
08-28-2018, 10:51 PM
“man that looks exactly like my old 3 inch murdergun.”

Sounds like you got rid of it. Having had both the WC and MC, which did you prefer?

OlongJohnson
08-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Talk like that is how businesses get started...if you want to start cutting the spurs off hammers and polishing things up nice afterwards, I have a MC hammer that needs a chop.

Ah, hell no. Nobody will pay my hourly rate for that kind of work, and I don't want to go broke.

jetfire
08-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you got rid of it. Having had both the WC and MC, which did you prefer?

The Match Champion with the adjustable rear sight by far. I’ve discovered in my old age the hard part of concealing the gun isn’t the barrel, it’s the butt. I put the compact stocks on my 10mm MC and it’s DOOOOPE. The Wiley Clapp was a good idea, but honestly if I’m going to carry a 3 inch all steel belt gun, I’ll get an SP101 in .327 Federal.