May 26
June 23
July 14
Aug 11
Sept 8
Oct 13
Nov 10
Dec 8

Good News! The NRA Range has confirmed that we have one Tuesday evening per month time slot for the foreseeable future. We have also added the NRA IDPA Club to the IDPA Website as an affiliated club. I have also created a dedicated email address: NRAIDPA@verizon.net. Please use this email for all correspondence. For now I will use the pistol-forum website for announcements, but I want to build a google groups list for notifications as well. Registrations will be done using clubs.practiscore.com and scoring will be done on practiscore as well.

I am always seeking assistance for setup. Please let me know if you can help.

New target stands are being built and available April sometime.

You must have a NRA Range card to shoot the match. You must also attend the safety and stage briefing 45min prior to the match and one hour before the match if you need the range card.

New Shooter Information:
If you have never shot IDPA at the NRA Range, please email NRAIDPA@verizon.net to get qualified to shoot. Send your shooting resume for pistol, classes taken, class and division, previous matches, etc. If you have qualified to shoot at AAFG or Thumont, MD or Peacemaker National Training Center, or Fredericksburg USPSA or Quantico USPSA then you are automatically qualified to shoot at the NRA IDPA. If you are Sharpshooter or higher in IDPA or C-Class or better in USPSA you are prequalified to shoot at the NRA IDPA. But please email NRAIDPA@verizon.net to let me know you have those qualifiers.

To attend IDPA at the NRA Range make sure you have these critical skills through dry fire practice:

1) You must be able to do a reload without your finger going into the trigger area. It must be indexed on the frame. (I have seen many expert shooters who think they never violate this rule, but as a Safety Officer running a timer I observe it happening all the time. It is a good idea to videotape yourself and watch what happens or have someone else observe. It amazes me how many people violate this safety rule.)
2) You must be able to move from one point of cover to another point of cover with the gun in your hand and your finger indexed on the frame. The only time your finger should ever be in the trigger area is when you are actually engaging a target. Practice this in dry-fire by moving at least three steps between standing positions, pull the trigger at targets, then move to the other point, pull the trigger at targets, then back and forth, focusing on moving your finger to index as soon as you finish pulling the trigger on targets.
3) You must be able to do a reload with the muzzle pointed at the berm downrange. Skyward reloads are prohibited at our range (except for revolver shooters).
4) You must be able to draw and holster one-handed. If you use a regular shirt as concealment, you may use your weak hand to pull the shirt up, BUT your weak hand may not go anywhere near the gun until the gun is out of the holster and the muzzle pointed downrange. Same thing for re-holstering. It is important to have a good holster so your weak hand is never needed. Practice holstering slowly...you are not on the clock.

DRY FIRE PRACTICE: Please clear your gun, check it twice, and put all ammo away, empty two mags. You can use snapcaps if you like. Then dry-fire practice these skills at least 20 times until you can do them proficiently and without reverting to old habits.

There is a new rulebook. Please make sure you know the rules: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/x2gukat1.wyt.pdf

Some new rules:
- Each hit on a non-threat is worth 5 seconds;
- Dropping a magazine with bullets when not doing a reload is a penalty;
- You may do a reload while moving behind cover, but you may never do a reload or cross an opening with an empty gun;
- In some cases you may do a reload while moving with a visible target that has been engaged. In other cases you may not. Read the rulebook.
- More non-threats may be used;
- A standards stage may use foot fault lines or boards;
- There is only one revolver division, a new Compact Concealed Pistol division, and BUG division in addition to SSP, ESP and CDP;
- Intentionally failing to take a final shot on a final target to avoid the reload time is an automatic FTDR;
- I am sorry, but no AIWB holsters are allowed for IDPA, even NFS.

NOTE: This is not the forum to debate these rules. Rules debates belong in the IDPA subforum.

Thanks,
Cody Claxton
NRA IDPA Match Director

cclaxton
03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
April 14 NRA IDPA Match Announcement
This will be a 3 stage IDPA Classifier Match, set for 90 rounds, but please bring about 120 rounds. Price is $25. Match Director is Cody Claxton. All shooters must arrive at least 30 minutes prior for a safety and COF briefing by Charlie Moore in the lounge, and shooters without a NRA Range card must arrive 60 minutes early. Shooters are expected to be familiar with the Classifier course of fire. Please read pages 53 - 55 of the current rulebook. This section covers the Classifier Match. It's online at: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules. Note that if you classify with a gun that is legal in more than one division, your classifier times will apply in the other divisions. So, if you shoot a ESP legal gun in CCP, you may have those times applied to both divisions. If you shoot BUG division and it is legal in SSP and ESP and CCP, you can get four classifications at one time! (Example: Glock 26, S&W M&P9C, Khar PM9, XDS-9, etc.)

There will be two 6 member squads at 5PM and 7:30PM. The Classifier will take about 2-2.5 hours per squad. New shooters emailNRAIDPA@verizon.net. New shooters must be pre-qualified. If you have shot KSTG or IPSC at NRA, have taken the AAFG or Thurmont, MD IDPA classes or are experienced IDPA shooter of Sharpshooter or better, you are already qualified to shoot this match. If you are C-class USPSA shooter with competition experience, you are also pre-qualified.
IDPA Level I match, with the following divisions:
BUG, CCP, CDP, ESP, REV, SSP
Price: $25

Registration is required and will open on Monday, April 6 at 9AM and close April 13 at 5PM. You may waitlist, as we normally have 2-3 people drop out prior to the match. Register at: https://clubs.practiscore.com/nra-idpa-april-14-classifier-match/register

I need 2-4 SO's and two people to help set up. You will shoot for free.
Thanks,
Cody

Cody Claxton
Match Dir.

zeroflux
04-02-2015, 09:59 AM
This really sucks. After hounding you for an IDPA Classifier I am going to miss this match completely; I'm going to be on travel for work actually starting on that Tuesday morning... :(

cclaxton
04-02-2015, 10:01 AM
This really sucks. After hounding you for an IDPA Classifier I am going to miss this match completely; I'm going to be on travel for work actually starting on that Tuesday morning... :(
Steve,
We are also running classifier April 11 at Peacemaker.
There are others around if you need me to dig them up.
Cody

cclaxton
04-06-2015, 08:02 AM
REgistration is now open for NRA IDPA Classifier April 14
https://clubs.practiscore.com/nra-idpa-april-14-classifier-match/register
Cody

zeroflux
04-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Steve,
We are also running classifier April 11 at Peacemaker.
There are others around if you need me to dig them up.
Cody

Hi Cody,

Do you know when they open registration for this Saturday? It says "Registration Coming Soon"

http://peacemakernational.com/events/?l=viewEvent&eventID=545

cclaxton
04-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I just contacted Peacemaker and asked them to activate the link.
Cody

cclaxton
04-09-2015, 11:19 PM
We have 11 slots left to run the classifier at the NRA Range Tuesday, April 14.
I am opening this up to run this twice if you need two classifications: BUG Gun, Revolver, etc.
Cody

cclaxton
04-10-2015, 06:50 PM
So registrations have come to a stop. I have enough room to run a pair of scenario stages next to the classifier stage. Final call for classifier spots. I am closing out classifier slots Saturday at 5PM. If I still have room, I will set up two short scenario stages. You will be able to sign up just for the scenario stages.
Cody

jayh
04-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Just registered :) See where I squad up...

cclaxton
04-13-2015, 09:10 AM
There are still slots for the Tuesday match, and I will have at least one scenario stage, if we have time after doing classifiers.
I still need one SO for the evening slot as my regular SO is out of town. Please let me know if you want to volunteer and shoot for free.
I also need setup help at 3:30PM. PM me or email NRAIDPA@verizon.net if you have the time to help.
Thanks,
Cody

cclaxton
04-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Online Registration is closed. We have 21 shooters registered including our Safety Officers.
I will set up the scenario stage but there may not be time. Maybe I can make it short enough.

Setup crew arrive by 3:30PM and shoot for free.

5PM Squad
If you do not have a NRA Range card, please arrive at 4PM to get the range test and card. If you do have one, arrive at 4:30.

7:30 Squad
If you do not have a NRA Range card, please arrive at 6:30PM to get the range test and card. If you do have one, arrive at 7PM.

I will allow for two more walk-ons. Please call the NRA Range if you are cancelling or wish to walk on.
See you tomorrow.
Cody Claxton
Match Director.

cclaxton
04-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Results are posted here: https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=bf533192-31aa-479c-8b38-c242c68c19f9

Special thanks to Brian T and Jacqueline S and Ben Streifel for being Safety Officers, and for those who ran practiscore.

I apologize that the match ran late and I appreciate the feedback that we should not break up strings. My goal was to save time while shooters manage mags, but we lost too much time going back and forth. But we got 19 people classified so we did accomplish something .

Congrats to Josh, Jordan and Duane for taking the top three spots running the Bill Drill.

Also, thanks to the NRA Range Staff for running practiscore and staying late to get it finished. And, thanks to John, Brian, and NRA Staff for assisting with setup and teardown.

Please PM me if you have any suggestions and feedback. We want your experience to be positive, and it takes feedback and work to make that happen.

Cody Claxton
Match Director.

JRM83
04-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Results are posted here: https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=bf533192-31aa-479c-8b38-c242c68c19f9

Special thanks to Brian T and Jacqueline S and Ben Streifel for being Safety Officers, and for those who ran practiscore.

I apologize that the match ran late and I appreciate the feedback that we should not break up strings. My goal was to save time while shooters manage mags, but we lost too much time going back and forth. But we got 19 people classified so we did accomplish something .

Congrats to Josh, Jordan and Duane for taking the top three spots running the Bill Drill.

Also, thanks to the NRA Range Staff for running practiscore and staying late to get it finished. And, thanks to John, Brian, and NRA Staff for assisting with setup and teardown.

Please PM me if you have any suggestions and feedback. We want your experience to be positive, and it takes feedback and work to make that happen.

Cody Claxton
Match Director.

Great match last night - thanks to everyone for the tremendous effort they put in to make this run. Cody I appreciated how organized you were with the materials and safety briefing. Had a great time shooting with everyone, and looking forward to another round next month!

cclaxton
04-15-2015, 09:21 PM
After discussion and consultation with Safety Officers and the NRA Range, I am going to place a restriction on Serpa-style holsters with the button on the side of the holster for IDPA Matches held there.

Safariland is making a new holster that claims to support 175 different firearms; http://www.safariland.com/paddle/model-578-gls-pro-fit-holster-with-paddle-57800.html#gclid=Cj0KEQjwmLipBRC59O_EqJ_E0asBEiQAT YdNh8zVvoEA6OcTp8sBQmY9o3KtlgOgdchuVgbcCJdaXfEaAt9 V8P8HAQ&start=1

Serpa styles include these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=serpa+holsters+images&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=879&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YRwvVbv3JsGBsQSf2oEg&ved=0CB0QsAQ

I will allow an exception for active duty Law Enforcement and active duty military (if you have a combat rold).

Thanks,
Cody Claxton
NRA IDPA Match Director.

JediDachshund
04-16-2015, 11:04 PM
So that was my introduction to IDPA - I definitely enjoyed the match and I'll try to show up for future matches.

I did take some video of the bill drill and classifier - definitely lets me see some things that need improvement and what I spent the most time doing. Eye-opener in a lot of ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqq_fQk2Gg

kle
04-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Cody-

I enjoyed myself at the match. We did discuss things that could use improvement after the match with Debbie et. al., and I look forward to attending the next one!

-Kent

joshs
04-17-2015, 11:00 AM
Cody, thanks for putting on an excellent match. I thought the way you came up with running the classifier was probably the most efficient way to use the available range space.

Just a thought, but if you are prohibiting the SERPA because you believe it presents a safety issue (I obviously agree), then why would you create an exemption? Think about how that would appear if someone did have an accident with a SERPA in the future. It doesn't look good that you allowed someone to use a holster that you believed was unsafe.

cclaxton
04-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Cody, thanks for putting on an excellent match. I thought the way you came up with running the classifier was probably the most efficient way to use the available range space.

Just a thought, but if you are prohibiting the SERPA because you believe it presents a safety issue (I obviously agree), then why would you create an exemption? Think about how that would appear if someone did have an accident with a SERPA in the future. It doesn't look good that you allowed someone to use a holster that you believed was unsafe.
Josh,
Good point. As with anything, it comes down to training and operation and I figured that LEO's would be sufficiently trained. But to set a good example and to retain consistency, it would be best to have a single policy without exception. From this point forward SERPA's are prohibited at IDPA matches at the NRA club.

Thanks for speaking up.
Cody

cclaxton
04-21-2015, 03:46 PM
I still have slots open for this Sunday, April 26 for the Thurmont IDPA Match from 10AM-2:30PM.
6-8 stages, 110 rounds. Register at: https://clubs.practiscore.com/thurmont-idpa-sun-april-26-match/register

Maryland has a sporting exception for pistol competitions. You may bring any mags and IDPA legal pistols into Maryland for the purposes of competing. They must be carried per Title 18, USC (unloaded, bagged/cased, ammo separate).

TCSC has nine action bays, up to 50 yards deep, and many bays have 3 sided berms. We operate a cold range, and you should always arrive with your guns unloaded. If you are an LEO or other person authorized to carry in Maryland, you may arrive hot but we will unload your gun in preparation for the event. Do not unload or load your gun except under the supervision of a safety officer. Maryland law has a sporting exception for handgun competitions, so any handgun that is legal for you to shoot in IDPA, you may transport into Maryland for sporting purposes. See Maryland State Police Firearm Transportation and Maryland Criminal Statutes (http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gcr/4-203.html). And on Magazines (http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2013/article-gcr/section-4-305) you may not purchase or transfer high capacity, but you may bring them in and use them Transport your firearms per USC Title 18 (Ammo separate from gun and gun in separate case or bag.) This is not legal advice, laws can change abruptly, so we take no responsibility for your actions. TCSC is located at: 11617 Hunt Club Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
Google Maps Coordinates

kle
04-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Somehow, I didn't get video of the barricade/barrel stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkxQzGjHrc

cclaxton
05-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Registration for the NRA IDPA May 26 Match will open Monday, May 18 at 9AM. Please register at: https://clubs.practiscore.com/may-26-nra-idpa-match/register
Once approved, you will get an email letting you know to squad. Squad 5 is at 5PM, Squad 6 is at 6PM, etc. You must arrive 30 min early for the safety briefing, and 1 hour early if you are a new shooter. Match will consist of 5 medium to short stages, under 100 rounds, $25 cost, and be an IDPA legal match. If you are a new shooter and wish to be authorized to shoot, please email NRAIDPA@verizon.net for more information.

In Practiscore you can select if you are volunteering to be a Safety Officer or to assist with setup. We will need two SO's and two stage setup assistants.

Thanks,
Cody Claxton
IDPA Area Coordinator for VA/MD
NRA IDPA Match Director.

zeroflux
05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Hi Cody,
There wasn't anywhere on the registration form to enter notes: Can you please put me on a later squad? I'm not able to get to the range until 8PM. Thanks.

cclaxton
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Hi Cody,
There wasn't anywhere on the registration form to enter notes: Can you please put me on a later squad? I'm not able to get to the range until 8PM. Thanks.
Everyone should receive a link from Practiscore once I approve you for squadding.
There may be a delay of a few hours as I am not always able to work on the approvals.
I approved yours, Steve, so you should now see the link.
Thanks,
Cody

cclaxton
05-20-2015, 11:19 AM
We have a full match with three people currently on the waitlist.
Please use your management link to select a shooting time: 5=5PM, 6=6PM, etc. Look in your SPAM folder if you don't see the squadding link.
Please notify me ASAP if you are going to cancel your slot so we can move a waitlister into your slot.
Setup Crew:
- Craig P;
- John W;
- Charlie M;

Safety/IDPA Briefings: Charlie Moore in Lounge

Safety Officers:
Bill E
Cody C
Charlie M

I still have slots available for Sat, May 23 at Thurmont, MD for IDPA Match: https://clubs.practiscore.com/thurmont-idpa-sat-may-23/register
If you need a classifier in order to compete in WV IDPA Championship, please email me at NRAIDPA@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Cody

cclaxton
05-26-2015, 08:46 AM
UPDATE, May 26 NRA IDPA Match:
IF YOU ARE NOT RECEIVING UPDATES FROM PRACTISCORE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDERS AND SEARCH YOUR INBOXES. I have been sending out updates from clubs.practiscore.com.

Your squad assignment is listed in those updates, or you can check your registration management link.

Please arrive 1 hour early if you don't have a range card, 45min if you do. Go to lounge and get safety briefing and COF briefings. We have 30 shooters for 5 stages, and that means less than 2min per shooter per stage. We need to have everyone arrive on time, gear up on time, and be ready to paste and shoot so we don't run behind schedule.

Setup Crew:
Craig P,
John W,
Bill S,
NRA Staff.

Safety and COF Briefings: Bill E,

SO's:
Skip M,
Cody C,
Bill E.

Cody Claxton
NRA IDPA Match Director
IDPA Area Coordinator, Va/Md

cclaxton
05-26-2015, 10:33 PM
May 26Results
https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=0716f852-41be-4f6e-bb2f-7e55edae3353
Thanks to the setup crew and Bill E and Skip M for excellent SO support.
Cody

zeroflux
05-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks, Cody et al. for a fun match. I had a great time shooting it (both firearms and photography). Here's the first of the pics and video I took tonight:

https://flic.kr/p/tDM7f8

JRM83
05-27-2015, 12:19 PM
May 26Results
https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=0716f852-41be-4f6e-bb2f-7e55edae3353
Thanks to the setup crew and Bill E and Skip M for excellent SO support.
Cody

Cody, thanks for putting on a great match as always. Many thanks to the setup crew, SO, and NRA staff who put in long hours to make the match run.
You do a phenomenal job at packing so much into a tight space and tight time slot. The stages were great with a lot of subtle decisions (like Josh leaning back on the chair - wish I thought to do that). Thanks for the advice on managing eye dominance with those long shots. Eager to give that a try. Looking forward to next month's match, see you then!

PS - There is a support group for people who keep getting beat by Josh S. We have t-shirts. Meetings are Wednesday nights from 8-9 at varying bars in the NoVA area. Contact current members for upcoming locations.

zeroflux
05-27-2015, 10:22 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8849/17561526963_ee3ed1e6b6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sKRq8D)Competition Shooting Beretta 92G (https://flic.kr/p/sKRq8D) by zeroflux (https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeroflux/), on Flickr

zeroflux
05-28-2015, 11:07 PM
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7735/18218593635_4e3f15a502_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tKV4an)Competition Shooting Beretta 92G (https://flic.kr/p/tKV4an) by zeroflux (https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeroflux/), on Flickr

zeroflux
05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7754/18245256881_ed307b2322_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tNgHdv)Uprange View: Competitor Shooting Beretta 92G (https://flic.kr/p/tNgHdv) by zeroflux (https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeroflux/), on Flickr

zeroflux
06-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Finally, video from the match, Stages 1 & 3. Really loved Stage 1 and shooting while dragging the dummy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCwzyvnLQA

cclaxton
06-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Thanks for sharing the videos. Great editing work too.
Cody

cclaxton
06-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Registration for the June 23 NRA IDPA Match is OPEN and is required.
This will be about 8 very short self-defense focused stages.
I need three setup crew and two SO's and a Safety/COF Briefing Safety Officer.
https://clubs.practiscore.com/nra-idpa-june-23/register
Email nraidpa@verizon.net if you are new to IDPA.
Thanks,
Cody Claxton
IDPA Area Coordinator, VA/MD
NRA IDPA Match Dir.
Thurmont IDPA Committee Chair

ianmcall
06-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Cody,

Maybe I missed it. Can you clarify which squad is starting at what time?

-Ian

cclaxton
06-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Sorry, Squad 1 will start at 5PM, 2 at 6PM, etc.
Please arrive 45min early for the Safety and COF Briefings, or 1 hour early if you don't have a range card. 5PM Squad must be there by 4:15PM.
It is important to arrive on-time since we will not repeat the COF briefings out on the range although they will be posted.
Thanks,
Cody

jayh
06-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Just signed up. :)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

cclaxton
06-17-2015, 04:12 PM
The June 23 Match is full with a waitlist of four.
We have sufficient SO's and Setup Staff.
This will be a BUG and Revolver friendly match as all stages will be 6 rounds or less. These are short self-defense stages.
Reminder to arrive at least 45min early to get the Safety and COF briefings. You will need to be ready to shoot when your time arrives, so have your equipment and ammo loaded and ready.

There is some chance I will see 1-2 dropouts and waitlisted people will get in.

For those who have Sunday available, I am hosting a very similar, if not mostly the same, match at Thurmont, MD Sunday, Jun 21.
Registration is here: https://clubs.practiscore.com/thurmont-sun-june-21/register
Show-up time is 10AM, 9AM for new shooters.
Thanks,
Cody Claxton

JediDachshund
06-18-2015, 09:00 AM
Squadded! For some reason an approval email never arrived, glad I checked.

JediDachshund
06-23-2015, 11:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBSbiMy5otA&feature=youtu.be

Forgot to turn on the cube for a few stages. I do something twice which is quite embarrassing.

cclaxton
06-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks for posting the video. It's always good to see a fellow CZ shooter.

Results Posted here: https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=bedc2461-c32e-4350-9d69-8c5cd391ddbe

Cody

cclaxton
07-06-2015, 07:53 AM
The Tuesday. July 14 NRA IDPA Match will be open for registration at 9AM, Monday, July 6. https://clubs.practiscore.com/nra-idpa-july-14/register
Please register soon as the match fills up quick.
This will be a 4-6 stage use-of-cover focused IDPA Match, set for about 75 rounds, and up to 100 rounds. Price is $25. Match Director is Cody Claxton. New shooters email NRAIDPA@verizon.net. New shooters must be pre-qualified and take a orientation 1 hour prior to their shooting slot. Squads will be at 5PM, 6PM, 7PM, 8PM and 9PM, but you must arrive 45min early for the briefing. If you have shot KSTG or IPSC at NRA, or are Thurmont, AAFG, or Peacemaker qualified, or are an experienced IDPA shooter of Sharpshooter or better, you are already qualified to shoot this match. If you do not have a NRA Range Card you will be required to take a test and purchase a card for $10. Arrive early to take the test.
Thanks for supporting IDPA in the Mid-Atlantic. Match Listings region-wide here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4235-Regional-Shooting-Match-Announcements
Cody Claxton
IDPA Area Coordinator, VA/MD
NRA IDPA Match Director
Thurmont, MD Match Director

zeroflux
07-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Hi Cody,

There is some kind of glitch with the registration form. No matter what I put in in the e-mail address field, it states that it is an Invalid e-mail address and won't let me submit the form.

cclaxton
07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi Cody,

There is some kind of glitch with the registration form. No matter what I put in in the e-mail address field, it states that it is an Invalid e-mail address and won't let me submit the form.
Check for any blanks. Also, try all lowercase or all uppercase.
You may need to restart your browser. No one else has had a problem
Cody

cclaxton
07-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Results are up for July 14 Match. https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=fd1449a7-dcfc-4b05-9b2e-852728e5216a
Thanks to Craig, Greg, John, Skip and Conrad for assisting with setup.
Thanks to Charlie for painting and running the briefings.
Thanks to the folks at the NRA Range for scorekeeping and helping with cleanup.
Thanks to those who stayed late to assist with setup: Rich, Ebony, Steve, Ian, and Conrad.
Thanks to Malcolm and Scott for helping SO.

I will work harder to get these to run on time. Sorry for the late night.

See you next month.
Cody Claxton
Match Dir.
See you next month.

jdub
07-17-2015, 09:23 PM
I really wish I would have watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EMJfVC7bDk) before the match. It was a great match with complex stages that required thought and planning. Thanks Cody et all.

zeroflux
07-18-2015, 08:49 PM
Video of the match on Tuesday. I was able to use the Green Screen in some of the footage taken with the Canon but found it too hard to do with the Tachyon footage due to the motion and shadows. I have to say that the effort put into building a virtual shoot house out of trash bags paid off and made for a really fun match. Thank you to Cody and all who helped with the set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybLk7RtyOg

cclaxton
07-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I really wish I would have watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EMJfVC7bDk) before the match. It was a great match with complex stages that required thought and planning. Thanks Cody et all.
Excellent find on the video.
Cody

cclaxton
07-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Video of the match on Tuesday. I was able to use the Green Screen in some of the footage taken with the Canon but found it too hard to do with the Tachyon footage due to the motion and shadows. I have to say that the effort put into building a virtual shoot house out of trash bags paid off and made for a really fun match. Thank you to Cody and all who helped with the set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybLk7RtyOg
Steve,
As usual, great job on the video.
Cody

cclaxton
08-03-2015, 01:19 PM
NRA IDPA for August 11 Registration is now open. https://clubs.practiscore.com/august-11-nra-range-idpa/register
Sorry for the delay.
Thanks,
Cody Claxton
IDPA Area Coordinator, VA/MD/DC and Match Dir.

cclaxton
08-11-2015, 09:25 AM
We have had a few drop out, and still have a slot at 7PM and 8PM. Registration open until 2PM.
Cody

cclaxton
08-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Scores are here. For future reference they will always be posted at Practiscore.com under Match Results.
Congrats to Turd for winning the match. I was happy to get 1st place on the Ground Gunfight stage.
Congrats to Tom Fairleigh in his first IDPA match for 4th place.

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=efbb0ab5-63d4-46cf-8014-1e3f64084aa4
Cody

zeroflux
08-16-2015, 10:06 AM
cclaxton shooting around the Boxing Bag on Stage 1 of the IDPA Match last week. I got good footage this last match but its going to take me a few days to finish editing...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5806/20437849430_975402a7f0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/x92jAj)Boxing Bag (https://flic.kr/p/x92jAj) by zeroflux (https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeroflux/), on Flickr

zeroflux
08-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Video from the match last Tuesday, Stages 1, 2, 3 & 5. I love the buffet style matches with lots of small stages...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqrwsP4wU0

cclaxton
08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Great Videos!!!
Thanks, again, for putting this together.
Cody

JRM83
08-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Good shooting and great editing! Did I detect a hint of gamer on stage 5...?

zeroflux
08-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Good shooting and great editing! Did I detect a hint of gamer on stage 5...?

LOL! You had me watching my own video to figure out what you are referring to as far as "hint of gamer". Are you referring to me taking the extra shots in order not to have to do a reload with retention before engaging the second array? If yes, then I would call it my loathing of "reloads with retention" rather than being a gamer; I'm not sure I save any time with the multiple extra shots (I think I took 4 extra?) over what it would have taken to reload with retention ;)

JRM83
08-21-2015, 05:15 PM
LOL! You had me watching my own video to figure out what you are referring to as far as "hint of gamer". Are you referring to me taking the extra shots in order not to have to do a reload with retention before engaging the second array? If yes, then I would call it my loathing of "reloads with retention" rather than being a gamer; I'm not sure I save any time with the multiple extra shots (I think I took 4 extra?) over what it would have taken to reload with retention ;)

Bingo!

cclaxton
08-28-2015, 12:35 PM
I will be teaching a IDPA Safety Officer Class at Blue Ridge Arsenal Thur-Fri Sept 17-18.
Thur 5-9PM Lecture
Fri 5-9PM Range Practice
Cost $30
We need to fill at least 8 slots.
Hope you can make it. Call Blue Ridge to reserve a slot.
Cody Claxton
IDPA Area Coordinator, VA/MD/DC

cclaxton
08-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Registration for Tuesday, Sept 8 IDPA Match at the NRA Range will open at 12PM, Aug 31: https://clubs.practiscore.com/nra-idpa-sept-8/register

This will be a 6-8 stage IDPA Match, set for about 80-100 rounds, and focusing on shooting while moving. Price is $25. Match Director is Cody Claxton. New shooters email NRAIDPA@verizon.net. New shooters must be pre-qualified and take a orientation 1 hour prior to their shooting slot. Squads will be at 5PM, 6PM, 7PM, 8PM and 9PM, but you must arrive 45min early for the briefing. If you have shot KSTG or IPSC at NRA, or are Thurmont, AAFG, or Peacemaker qualified, or are an experienced IDPA shooter of Sharpshooter or better, you are already qualified to shoot this match. If you do not have a NRA Range Card you will be required to take a test and purchase a card for $10. Arrive early to take the test.
Cody

cclaxton
09-01-2015, 11:10 PM
We still have 10 slots left for the NRA IDPA Match Tuesday evening Sept 8.
https://practiscore.com/nra-idpa-sept-8/register

We also have space for the IDPA Certified Safety Officer class at Blue Ridge Arsenal, Thur/Fri Sept 17/18 (5-9PM each night).
Call Blue Ridge Arsenal to reserve a spot.

Thanks,
Cody Claxton

cclaxton
09-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Sept 8 NRA IDPA Match Results Posted.
Practiscore is having an issue with the COMBINED list, but the other lists are working fine. Check by Division. For some reason it won't delete stage 6 when I upload a file without Stage 6.
https://practiscore.com/results/11550
Cody

kle
09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Sept 8 NRA IDPA Match Results Posted.
Practiscore is having an issue with the COMBINED list, but the other lists are working fine. Check by Division. For some reason it won't delete stage 6 when I upload a file without Stage 6.
https://practiscore.com/results/11550
Cody

I took First in the Revolver division?! BOOYAH! WHO DA MAN!!!

JRM83
09-10-2015, 05:38 AM
I took First in the Revolver division?! BOOYAH! WHO DA MAN!!!

Hate to burst your bubble, but you were actually last in revolver.

kle
09-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but you were actually last in revolver.

Unpossible!

cclaxton
09-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Possible theme's for the next NRA Match:
- BUG Match
- Physiology Match: The on-deck shooter runs in place while waiting to shoot, ice bucket for hands, Wearing Goggles, wearing work gloves, strobe lights in your face, etc.
- Prone and low cover only
- Couches and Chairs and Bean Bags
- Other ideas?
Cody

ianmcall
09-10-2015, 08:12 PM
I like the idea of a BUG/Physiology match.

cmoore
09-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Strong hand only entire match.

JRM83
09-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Low light / no light

I think it would be cool to see a stage that is a single mini popper shot the full length of the range.

cclaxton
10-04-2015, 01:03 PM
NRA IDPA Match Announcement: Tue, Oct 13, 5-10PM, hourly squads. Register here: https://practiscore.com/nra-idpa-tue-oct-13/register
I am looking to give experience to the new SO's from Blue Ridge SOI Class.
Registration Open tomorrow 9AM.
Cody

JRM83
10-04-2015, 04:30 PM
NRA IDPA Match Announcement: Tue, Oct 13, 5-10PM, hourly squads. Register here: https://practiscore.com/nra-idpa-tue-oct-13/register
I am looking to give experience to the new SO's from Blue Ridge SOI Class.
Registration Open tomorrow 9AM.
Cody

I bought a vest so I could look the part.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

cclaxton
10-04-2015, 07:17 PM
I bought a vest so I could look the part.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.
Some people just use a cover shirt.
Cody

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zeroflux
10-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Sorry Cody, can't help with set up or SO. Had to use my dwindling PTO this month for the IDPA Skills course on Monday.
Do you plan on having a lot of rolling around on the ground, shooting from low cover this upcoming match? I was planning on running the match in a full suit, but want to choose one that is "cleaner" for this purpose :-)

cclaxton
10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Sorry Cody, can't help with set up or SO. Had to use my dwindling PTO this month for the IDPA Skills course on Monday.
Do you plan on having a lot of rolling around on the ground, shooting from low cover this upcoming match? I was planning on running the match in a full suit, but want to choose one that is "cleaner" for this purpose :-)
I haven't designed all the stages, yet. Are you saying you would rather not have a prone stage?
Cody

zeroflux
10-05-2015, 02:28 PM
I haven't designed all the stages, yet. Are you saying you would rather not have a prone stage?
Cody

I don't expect you to plan the match around my needs ;) but if you're not going to have a prone stage or anything along those lines, I can wear my suit for this upcoming match. Just let me know. I'll be fine either way.

jdub
10-05-2015, 07:02 PM
...IDPA Skills course on Monday.

Got any info on this?

zeroflux
10-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Got any info on this?

Sure. Green Ops course. I also took their Basic Carbine class which was excellent.

http://www.green-ops.com/practical-pistol-idpa-skills-clinic.html

zeroflux
10-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Finally finished the video from the September Match which is one of my favorites of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzdrw460wA

cclaxton
10-12-2015, 11:03 PM
There is one stage lying on side stradling a bicycle. May wanna change out of suit.
Thanks for great videos.
Cody

cclaxton
10-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Finally finished the video from the September Match which is one of my favorites of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzdrw460wA
Great video, and great job shooting.
Cody

cclaxton
11-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Registration is now open for Classifier Match for IDPA plus one side stage. We are starting at 3PM, small squads. 120 rounds.
https://practiscore.com/nra-idpa-tue-nov-10/register
Cody

zeroflux
11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Hi Cody,

I signed up to Set up and SO. Can you please let me know the details via e-mail since this is my first time helping out on the IDPA side?

MD_foxtrot
11-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Registration is now open for Classifier Match for IDPA plus one side stage. We are starting at 3PM, small squads. 120 rounds.
Cody

Cody- I'd like to get to the classifier but need to be qualified first. Email sent.

Thanks!

zeroflux
11-09-2015, 03:15 AM
Stages 1 & 4 from the October IDPA Match at the NRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXzMhGJSYQ

cclaxton
11-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks to Zeroflux for the great videos.
I have reorganized the Classifier to get the people on the waitlist. We still have a few slots available at 5PM and 8PM.

Please read over the classifier procedure and have all your equipment ready to start.
Thanks,
Cody

cclaxton
11-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Magazine loading for today's classifier. Please bring enough mags and be prepared with loaded mags:
Stage 1: SSP/ESP:
Mag 1- 9 rounds,
Mag 2- 12 rounds
Mag 3- 9 rounds

Stage 2: SSP/ESP:
Mag 1- 12 rounds,
Mag 2- 6 rounds
Mag 3- 12 rounds

Stage 3: SSP/ESP:
Mag 1- 13 rounds,
Mag 2- 13 rounds
Mag 3- 13 rounds

Stage 1: CDP
Mag 1- 8 rounds
Mag 2- 8 rounds
Mag 3- 5 rounds
Mag 4- 6 rounds

Stage 2: CDP
Mag 1- 8 rounds+1 from barney mag,
Mag 2- 8 rounds+1 from barney mag,
Mag 3- 3 round mag, 8 round reload, Top off 1 round for last string.

Stage 3: CDP
Mag 1- 8 rounds
Mag 2- 8 rounds
Mag 3- 8 rounds
Mag 4- 8 rounds
Mag 5- 8 rounds

BUG GUNS: At least 5 mags
Stage 1: All loaded to max capacity up to 6, except one with two rounds.
Stage 2: All loaded to max capacity up to 6
Stage 3: All loaded to max capacity up to 6

MD_foxtrot
11-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Looks like scores are already posted to PractiScore!

Thanks for running the classifier, Cody.

cclaxton
11-11-2015, 04:05 PM
https://practiscore.com/results/13744
Scores above. I will be sending them in Friday.
If you want me to submit for multiple divisions, please email me at va.md.idpa@gmail.com

Special thanks to: Bill E, Roy L, Charlie M, Scott M, Conrad, and those who stayed to help with teardown and cleanup.
We definitely owe Bill, Roy and Charlie for their volunteer hours.

Thanks,
Cody

JRM83
11-12-2015, 07:48 AM
https://practiscore.com/results/13744
Scores above. I will be sending them in Friday.
If you want me to submit for multiple divisions, please email me at va.md.idpa@gmail.com

Special thanks to: Bill E, Roy L, Charlie M, Scott M, Conrad, and those who stayed to help with teardown and cleanup.
We definitely owe Bill, Roy and Charlie for their volunteer hours.

Thanks,
Cody

Many thanks those folks who went above and beyond last night to keep the match rolling. There were definitely some long hours put in by a few of you and I am grateful for that.

beamanmc
11-18-2015, 04:02 PM
New rule question... not debating, just clarifying. Please let me know if this was explained already!

- You may do a reload while moving behind cover, but you may never do a reload or cross an opening with an empty gun;

I read this as follows:

-I may reload while moving behind cover
-I may not reload with an empty gun
-I may not cross an opening with an empty gun

the middle bullet point is what is throwing me off...

Is this written incorrectly or am I reading it like an idiot...

Thanks!

cclaxton
11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
New rule question... not debating, just clarifying. Please let me know if this was explained already!
I read this as follows:
-I may reload while moving behind cover
-I may not reload with an empty gun
-I may not cross an opening with an empty gun
the middle bullet point is what is throwing me off...
Is this written incorrectly or am I reading it like an idiot...
Thanks!
I like to think of it this way:
- You may reload while moving behind cover or while moving through a hallway or a room with targets that have been engaged;
- You may NOT reload or have an empty gun while moving across any opening, window, or in the open between points of cover;
- An empty gun is defined as a gun that doesn't have a loaded magazine fully inserted and the slide in battery (Note you are not required to have a round in the chamber);
- IF you run dry in the open and you are moving to a new point of cover (or want to retreat to the previous point of cover) you may initiate a reload while going to cover, but you may not fire until the reload is completed.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Thanks,
Cody

TactiKahuna
11-30-2015, 06:32 AM
The middle bullet is throwing you off because it is wrong.

What the heck else are you gonna do with an empty gun besides reload it? ;-)

beamanmc
12-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks haha

zeroflux
12-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Video from the IDPA Classifier last month. Came in 5th for Stage 1, 8th for Stage 2 and 19th for Stage 3 with two complete misses for each of the three targets; so its clear that I need to work more on distance marksmanship and also my general fitness (squatting, crouching...etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ljfC_y0rCU

beamanmc
12-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Had fun last night, glad to be getting back into this!

Anyone know if there will be a January (as well as the rest of 2016) match?

ianmcall
12-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Had fun last night, glad to be getting back into this!

Anyone know if there will be a January (as well as the rest of 2016) match?

From Cody's last email, "January 19 will be the next match. After that it will be the 2nd Tuesday of each month plus a few bonus ones."

cclaxton
12-11-2015, 04:59 PM
It's hard to believe but the IDPA Club at the NRA Range just got started February of 2015 and we already have attendance of 120 unique shooters. I estimate we have a group of about 60 regular shooters. Now that the NRA IDPA club is established, we have outgrown our Pistol Forum thread. I have created a new facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NRAIDPA/

This will allow me to post match announcements there, newsletters, and other information without managing a cumbersome email list or fragmented pistol forum postings. It will also allow you shooters to post pictures, videos and your own experiences in one place for all shooters to experience. NRA IDPA shooters are still free to post here, but I will no longer be monitoring this location as frequently nor posting updates here.

Much thanks to the folks at Pistol Forum for helping us get this new club launched, use their forum, and support for action pistol competition. I will continue to participate in other forums on Pistol-Forum related to Tactics, Hardware, Law Enforcement, and The Romper Room.

See you on Facebook.
Thanks,
Cody
NRA IDPA Match Director