PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving away from Glock, and trying something different…

Chris17404
03-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Hi guys,

I’m considering moving away from Glock pistols for a few reasons and wanted to get your thoughts. I’s like to try a compact 9mm pistol of some other type and dedicate myself to it for the coming year to see if I can find a pistol I really connect with. A pistol I can carry AIWB easily, has a hammer for reholstering safety, has a longer smoother trigger pull for “real life” situations, has ergonomics that fit me, one that I am able to get a consistent solid grip on the draw, and a pistol I can feel confident I can hit what I need to on demand. Right now, I don’t have all of that in the Glock.

A bit of background. I’m basically a self-taught shooter. I have learned quite a bit from this forum and others on how to shoot a pistol. My first pistol was a S&W 5946 I purchased from CDNN back in 2005 I think. I loved that pistol, very ergonomic, reliable, and I actually really liked the DAO trigger. It helped me learn trigger control and I like the long, firm resistance through the entire trigger pull. It feels “right” to me. I kept it and shot it for a few years.

Then when I started to carry a gun on me, I decided to experiment with a Glock 19 because “everyone else had one for carry” (I know that’s not true, but it seemed like it at the time). I like the Glock 19. It’s been 100% reliable, shoots softly, carries easily (AIWB), and maintenance is a breeze. But… shooting the Glock has always been “work” for lack of a better term. Always having to push that front sight down a bit, the grip never feeling great, and forcing myself to unnaturally extend my arms to get the bullets where they need to go. My bullet impacts on target from 7 yards are typically 2-3 inches high and 1-2 inches right of where I want them to go when shooting quickly, but if I really focus and shoot slowly I can make them hit right. It just takes a lot of effort. I very much like and respect the Glock for everything it is. I’ve been shooting the G19 for about 7 years, perhaps 100-200 rounds per month of average, and it’s not a pistol I would give up easily. I do note that I tend to shoot my G17 much more accurately and easily than my G19. Not sure why that is. I did perform a grip stipple, backstrap heated roll/reduction and undercut the trigger guard, similar to what member Surf does, to my G19. It helps quite a bit with the ergonomics. I also installed a set of Trijicon HD sights, which I love.

But lately I’ve been wondering if there’s another gun I might really connect with, bring the fun back into pistol shooting, and simply be a natural fit for me. So I went on a bit of a quest going to a few gun stores and picked up lots of different pistols from Sigs (P229, P228, P320), HKs (P2000, P30, VP9), CZs (P-07), Walthers (PPQ), etc. I rented a few at the range (which got a bit expensive) and I even purchased a used HK P2000 v2 LEM to try out at one point. I honestly didn’t give the LEM a fair shake. I shot 100 rounds though it and gave up due to the ungodly long and light trigger pull. I admit I should have spent more time with it, but I sold it. Here’s wishing the V4.1 CDA LEM parts become available soon. I think I’d like that trigger if the reported 1/3 less travel is at the end of the trigger pull, i.e. the sear trips further forward.

I did find that the one type of pistol I feel shoots the most naturally for me is the Sig. There’s just something about the ergonomics and trigger that feels right. The sights line up naturally and the bullets go where I want them to without feeling like I’m working too hard to accomplish it. It’s just natural. I like all of the attributes and benefits that a DA/SA trigger provides, as discussed extensively over the years here on the forum. Oh, it’s my belief that bore axis is but one factor in how a gun shoots for you, and the P229 I rented shot very well.

Coming from the Glock, I’ve been very excited about the Sig P320. I’ve not fired one yet, only handled them and dry-fired one at the LGS. It’s hard to compare any pistol to the Glock's ease of cleaning and maintenance. I can detail strip it when needed and easily inspect each individual part. I really like the fact that the P320 is sort of similar in that you can easily break it down and gain access to the serialized frame control unit and the slide is easy to strip as well. It appears to have the same great ergonomics as the classic Sig line, and is positioned for a long future. But…

Now I’ve never been hesitant to carry a Glock in the appendix position due to the trigger, like some people are. I know the risks, always exercise discipline and re-holster slowly and reluctantly. But now I can’t help but think about the proliferation of pistols these days with very short, light triggers with fully-cocked strikers. These include the Sig P320, Walther PPQ, and HK VP9. When I dry-fired the P320 for the first time at the LGS, I was actually taken aback at how short and light it was. It felt like 4 pounds tops. This one sample was like a 1911 trigger without the manual safety. I was quite surprised that my initial reaction was: “Wow, I’d never carry this every day. Competition/range, sure… not carry.” These newer striker-fired guns make the Glock trigger pull seem like an eternity by comparison (to me). Again, this is coming from someone who has no problem carrying a G19 AIWB, so I’m not saying they are unsafe at all. Just that I question the wisdom of carrying one for self-defense, especially AIWB. I was (and am) seriously considering the P320, but the light trigger and the fact that it’s just so early after its release with newer improvements already in development (new trigger options, new low profile take down lever, reversed slide stop) make me question it at this point. But it’s not totally out of the running. Are my P320 (and other striker-fired pistols) trigger concerns warranted?
So, let’s say I wanted to invest in a new compact 9mm pistol. Which would you recommend? This would be an all-around gun that I’d also use for AIWB carry. I’d want a factory new gun, and if it’s from the classic Sig line I’d want the latest generation, preferably manufactured as recently as possible to take advantage of the improved quality control I’ve read about.

My preferences in the classic line would be:

9mm
E2 grip
SRT
Standard reach trigger
15-round mags
Long extractor
Light rail (preferable, but not sure if I really need/want one)

Does Sig make a classic factory pistol that has all of these features? I’ve heard of the model E29R-9-BSS-SRT which I think has everything I want, but I’m not sure if that’s made any longer. Models I’m considering include the standard P229, Sig P229 SAS Gen2, and an M11-A1. None of those meet everything I’m looking for, but they could easily be sent to Sig Custom Shop for that (except for the rail).

For those of you who may carry a Sig P229 in the appendix position, how much different is it really than a G19? I know it’s 6 ounces heavier and a bit wider/taller. What holster do you recommend? I have been very happy with the Dale Fricke Archangel I’ve used for my G19 for many years, but was also considering one of JM Custom Kydex’s AIWB holsters.

I’m not 100% sold on a classic Sig, though. What others would you suggest I seriously consider? What am I missing? Where am I going wrong?

Like I said originally, I’d really like to find “the one” pistol that offers me reliability, accuracy, natural personal ergonomics, and the fun factor that I currently don’t have in the G19. I’m not one that bounces around from gun to gun. Once I make a decision, I stick with it for a while. And if I don’t find anything, I guess I’ll just stick with my Glock and keep training to get better. I could do a lot worse. I just think it’s time to try something different.

I know some may simply recommend I get some professional training, stick with the Glock, ergonomics aren’t everything, just shoot it more, and the new guns I rented caused me to try harder which is why I shot them better. Totally valid position.

Thanks for any help and insights you can provide. I appreciate it.

Chris

Kyle Reese
03-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Buy yourself a CZ P-07 from David at CGW (http://www.cajungunworks.com/guns_for_sale.html) & be prepared to fall in love. The only real gripe that I have against my P-09 is the size. That's it.

BWT
03-25-2015, 03:35 PM
If you absolutely can't stop yourself.

I think the HK P2000 has good reviews and meets a lot of your criteria.

I have zero experience with CZ, but Fred's a smart and credible dude.

Don't sell the Glock; it's nice to have different guns. It can be fun but have you considered maybe getting another gun for range use?

I know this is heretical hear. But, IIRC, when asked how he doesn't get burned out; Jerry Miculek said he'd use a different gun for a while. Pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, etc.

I don't think we have to be married to our single pistol.

I would rather pickup a S&W Revolver that I shot once a quarter just "because" than ditch a gun I was very proficient, happy with, and had a good system sorted out for because it was "same old same old" and it's the only gun I'd let myself shoot.

ETA: Added a missing word

Just food for thought.

Len McM
03-25-2015, 03:43 PM
One of us...

I too am thinking about straying away from the Austrian Adonis. Maybe. If I can find something better. My only serious concern is how much I have invested in the Glock platform. A few dozen magazines that interchange across a number of pistols, holsters, Crimson Trace grips, etc. I like my Glocks. I just don't "love" them. I haven't taken the time that you have to play the field with other brands, but I'm not opposed. I really do not love the 4th Gen . pistols compared to the 2nd or 3rd.

What I'm going to do first is get some more time and lessons with Jay Cunningham (local to me) and maybe another instructor just to see if the arrow isn't right for this Indian, or if the Indian is just not doing it right.

I'm looking forward to following this thread.

HopetonBrown
03-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Take some classes and shoot some matches. That will get you out of your rut.

koj11
03-25-2015, 05:01 PM
I carry a P229 Extreme 9mm AIWB every day. That particular model doesn't fit with all your preferences, but it hits most of them. I've been very happy with the G10 grips on it and actually prefer those myself instead of the E2. I removed the factory sights in favor of Trijicon HD sights. As far as reliability goes, I have yet to have a single malfunction over approximately 2500 rounds. I find with a good belt and holster, you really don't notice the extra weight as compared to a polymer framed pistol. I have an archangel as well, and it was comfortable, but I honestly haven't strapped it back on since the day I got my JMCK. For me it just conceals better and is more comfortable.

okie john
03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
I’m considering moving away from Glock pistols for a few reasons and wanted to get your thoughts.

I think that no pistol will ever meet all of your requirements to your complete satisfaction.

If you carry any pistol long enough, you'll find something about it that you don't like. You'll switch to a pistol that doesn't have those issues, only to find that it has its own set of problems, at which time you'll repeat this with another pistol, then another, and another. There's a lot to learn on the journey, but you have to understand that learning is the destination and that learning has value in and of itself.

Last summer, I started looking for something to replace my EDC, a Gen3 G17 cut to take G19 magazines. After spending several thousand dollars on pistols from SIG, HK, FN, and others, plus a boatload of ammo and range time, I'm carrying the same pistol as when I started. True, I'm doing extended T&E on a Gen4 G17, but until that's done, I'm still carrying my same old pistol. I could have spent that several thousand dollars on ammo for my cut-down G17, but I wouldn't know what a great pistol it actually is despite it's flaws and my perception of them.

Okie John

EPF
03-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Buy yourself a CZ P-07 from David at CGW (http://www.cajungunworks.com/guns_for_sale.html) & be prepared to fall in love. The only real gripe that I have against my P-09 is the size. That's it.

This is dead on. I like to shoot "other than glocks" for periods. Always sold off the guns after but I just can't seem to let the CGW P07 go.

psalms144.1
03-25-2015, 06:23 PM
I've been down this trail DOZENS of times myself, and have always ended up back with a G19 in my holster. Having said that, if you really want to try something different, I'd look at the following, in order:

CZ P07 - stock it's workable, lightly customized it can be pretty impressive, trigger wise. Should be on par, accuracy wise, with your Glock, might show a little more inherent accuracy. Size is pretty close to the Glock. Cons - VERY limited options on sights, still kind of a "one off" choice, so you're unlikely to walk into the local gun shop and find holsters, magazines, etc.

HK P2000 LEM - very likely to show better accuracy than the Glock, with a consistent trigger (no need for DA/SA transition training). Slightly smaller than the G19, but you'll give up capacity. Trigger will require some dedication to master, and, for me, I find that the combination of trigger and bore axis makes me need to slow down quite a bit compared to the G19 in multiple shot-strings. Limited options for NS.

Dark Horse Candidate - Sig P250 Compact. Roughly size/weight equivalent with the G19 with same capacity. Grip "modules" allow you to pick which of three "sizes" fits your hand best. Very accurate. True DAO trigger - very smooth and light, but with long reset - think of it as a true "flat revolver." Cons - rear sight is integral to what would be a striker cover plate on the Glock, so you can't replace the rear sight with any kind of ease. Because of this, very limited options on sights (NS or otherwise). With the growing popularity of the P320, holsters and magazines will likely be fairly common moving forward.

There are lots of other options, but those are the three I'd look at if I wanted to try a hammer-fired alternative to the G19.

Regards,

Kevin

Paladin
03-25-2015, 08:43 PM
I am currently shooting a sig p226 combat in 9mm. I added the E2 grips and the short reset trigger for about 95 bucks and love the gun and now want the 229 combat and plan on making the same mods for a carry gun. All of the 9mm p229's i've shot have been super reliable, accurate, and very soft shooting so i say go for the Sig.
Rick

incogneato
03-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Have you considered the Sig SP2022? That would knock 3 oz (and ~$400) off the P229, although it would add .3" to the length.

The P320 is a wonderful piece, but obviously doesn't have a hammer. If DAO doesn't bother you, the P250 is certainly worthy of consideration. Current versions of both would have the takedown & slide catch lever "issues" you mentioned, if you are among those of us that are hoping for a change. For me, I decided that I liked the P320 too much to not stick with that platform, so I'll give them a few months to release the new parts, but am planning my own modifications, just in case.

If the 5946 still resonates in your heart, you could always find another on. Then again, it might be an indication that the P250 could be "just the ticket" (similar action to the 5946, with the feel & weight of the P320.

ReverendMeat
03-26-2015, 12:08 AM
I'd be looking at either a CZ-P01, P07, HK P2000 v3, SIG P229/M11A1, or SIG SP2022. Out of the preferences you listed for the SIG, off the top of my head I don't believe SIG currently makes anything like that. The E2 grips, SRT, and standard reach trigger can all be installed later (ease of installation varies. I'd go E2, standard trigger, then SRT with E2 being easiest). Or get the SP2022, with night sights, for under $500 instead and put the savings toward ammo and/or training.

H&KFanNC
03-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Try a Browning High-Power. It may be a tad longer in the grip and def longer in the barrel but just give one a try if you never have. The ergo's are there, the pointability and hammer (single action) and trigger pull is ok.

Just give one a try if you have never shot one. It may surprise you...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

1986s4
03-26-2015, 07:36 AM
A little while back I found a ANIB SIG P-225 for a decent price with NS. It is slim yet large enough to shoot well. A spare 8 round mag is easy to carry too. I also carry AWIB and I like a hammer for this carry method.
The CZ P-07 is a viable option. Didn't S&W make a compact version of their 59 series?

David S.
03-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Grips and Standard reach trigger are very easy to swap. I believe a short reset trigger swap is also very doable.

The downside of the SIG is also it's benefit. Size and weight. Great shooters- big and heavy for carry.

rob_s
03-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Agree with this.

Most of what anyone is going to get for replies in threads like these is people saying "buy what I did". Often that's of little value.

What I would suggest is getting out and using the firearms, in scenarios that hold you accountable, and allow you to track your performance. Shoot dot torture, shoot the FAST, go take a class and re-shoot the tests when you come back. Or, better yet, go shoot an IDPA classifier, take a class, and re-shoot it after you get back.

I admit to not reading the entire treatise on why you're special so I may have missed it, but are you doing anything now that's measuring performance and gains/losses therein?

45dotACP
03-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Yup. I have nothing to add to this. This advice is gold.

HopetonBrown
03-26-2015, 02:49 PM
I've been where you're at, OP. Before I ever took a class or shot a match I was very hung up on hardware. I actually read the 1911 forums! I didn't own a 9mm Glock because everyone has those, right? I'm a special snowflake and demand special snowflake hardware. I took my first few classes with a Wilson 1911 and even a P7M8. And yes, of course my P7M8 had Nill grips.

Fast forward 2+ years and I had my best finish in IDPA with a boring Glock 17. I took a Shivworks class with a Glock 19. I'm still very close to the beginning of my journey than I am towards the end. But what I have learned so far is that too much pontification and contemplation on gear can get in the way of progress with personal performance. Not to get too abstract or meditative but I think there is a level of clarity one reaches where they realize that the hardware doesn't really matter a whole lot. The OP is focused on the hardware because he hasn't yet really invested in the software. I wish I would've figured this out 10 years ago. I guess now being in my 40s has at least one benefit.

Chris17404
03-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Thank you for the well thought out responses. I appreciate it.

Texaspoff
03-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Hi guys,

I’m considering moving away from Glock pistols for a few reasons and wanted to get your thoughts. I’s like to try a compact 9mm pistol of some other type and dedicate myself to it for the coming year to see if I can find a pistol I really connect with. A pistol I can carry AIWB easily, has a hammer for reholstering safety, has a longer smoother trigger pull for “real life” situations, has ergonomics that fit me, one that I am able to get a consistent solid grip on the draw, and a pistol I can feel confident I can hit what I need to on demand. Right now, I don’t have all of that in the Glock.

A bit of background. I’m basically a self-taught shooter. I have learned quite a bit from this forum and others on how to shoot a pistol. My first pistol was a S&W 5946 I purchased from CDNN back in 2005 I think. I loved that pistol, very ergonomic, reliable, and I actually really liked the DAO trigger. It helped me learn trigger control and I like the long, firm resistance through the entire trigger pull. It feels “right” to me. I kept it and shot it for a few years.

Then when I started to carry a gun on me, I decided to experiment with a Glock 19 because “everyone else had one for carry” (I know that’s not true, but it seemed like it at the time). I like the Glock 19. It’s been 100% reliable, shoots softly, carries easily (AIWB), and maintenance is a breeze. But… shooting the Glock has always been “work” for lack of a better term. Always having to push that front sight down a bit, the grip never feeling great, and forcing myself to unnaturally extend my arms to get the bullets where they need to go. My bullet impacts on target from 7 yards are typically 2-3 inches high and 1-2 inches right of where I want them to go when shooting quickly, but if I really focus and shoot slowly I can make them hit right. It just takes a lot of effort. I very much like and respect the Glock for everything it is. I’ve been shooting the G19 for about 7 years, perhaps 100-200 rounds per month of average, and it’s not a pistol I would give up easily. I do note that I tend to shoot my G17 much more accurately and easily than my G19. Not sure why that is. I did perform a grip stipple, backstrap heated roll/reduction and undercut the trigger guard, similar to what member Surf does, to my G19. It helps quite a bit with the ergonomics. I also installed a set of Trijicon HD sights, which I love.

But lately I’ve been wondering if there’s another gun I might really connect with, bring the fun back into pistol shooting, and simply be a natural fit for me. So I went on a bit of a quest going to a few gun stores and picked up lots of different pistols from Sigs (P229, P228, P320), HKs (P2000, P30, VP9), CZs (P-07), Walthers (PPQ), etc. I rented a few at the range (which got a bit expensive) and I even purchased a used HK P2000 v2 LEM to try out at one point. I honestly didn’t give the LEM a fair shake. I shot 100 rounds though it and gave up due to the ungodly long and light trigger pull. I admit I should have spent more time with it, but I sold it. Here’s wishing the V4.1 CDA LEM parts become available soon. I think I’d like that trigger if the reported 1/3 less travel is at the end of the trigger pull, i.e. the sear trips further forward.

I did find that the one type of pistol I feel shoots the most naturally for me is the Sig. There’s just something about the ergonomics and trigger that feels right. The sights line up naturally and the bullets go where I want them to without feeling like I’m working too hard to accomplish it. It’s just natural. I like all of the attributes and benefits that a DA/SA trigger provides, as discussed extensively over the years here on the forum. Oh, it’s my belief that bore axis is but one factor in how a gun shoots for you, and the P229 I rented shot very well.

Coming from the Glock, I’ve been very excited about the Sig P320. I’ve not fired one yet, only handled them and dry-fired one at the LGS. It’s hard to compare any pistol to the Glock's ease of cleaning and maintenance. I can detail strip it when needed and easily inspect each individual part. I really like the fact that the P320 is sort of similar in that you can easily break it down and gain access to the serialized frame control unit and the slide is easy to strip as well. It appears to have the same great ergonomics as the classic Sig line, and is positioned for a long future. But…

Now I’ve never been hesitant to carry a Glock in the appendix position due to the trigger, like some people are. I know the risks, always exercise discipline and re-holster slowly and reluctantly. But now I can’t help but think about the proliferation of pistols these days with very short, light triggers with fully-cocked strikers. These include the Sig P320, Walther PPQ, and HK VP9. When I dry-fired the P320 for the first time at the LGS, I was actually taken aback at how short and light it was. It felt like 4 pounds tops. This one sample was like a 1911 trigger without the manual safety. I was quite surprised that my initial reaction was: “Wow, I’d never carry this every day. Competition/range, sure… not carry.” These newer striker-fired guns make the Glock trigger pull seem like an eternity by comparison (to me). Again, this is coming from someone who has no problem carrying a G19 AIWB, so I’m not saying they are unsafe at all. Just that I question the wisdom of carrying one for self-defense, especially AIWB. I was (and am) seriously considering the P320, but the light trigger and the fact that it’s just so early after its release with newer improvements already in development (new trigger options, new low profile take down lever, reversed slide stop) make me question it at this point. But it’s not totally out of the running. Are my P320 (and other striker-fired pistols) trigger concerns warranted?
So, let’s say I wanted to invest in a new compact 9mm pistol. Which would you recommend? This would be an all-around gun that I’d also use for AIWB carry. I’d want a factory new gun, and if it’s from the classic Sig line I’d want the latest generation, preferably manufactured as recently as possible to take advantage of the improved quality control I’ve read about.

My preferences in the classic line would be:

9mm
E2 grip
SRT
Standard reach trigger
15-round mags
Long extractor
Light rail (preferable, but not sure if I really need/want one)

Does Sig make a classic factory pistol that has all of these features? I’ve heard of the model E29R-9-BSS-SRT which I think has everything I want, but I’m not sure if that’s made any longer. Models I’m considering include the standard P229, Sig P229 SAS Gen2, and an M11-A1. None of those meet everything I’m looking for, but they could easily be sent to Sig Custom Shop for that (except for the rail).

For those of you who may carry a Sig P229 in the appendix position, how much different is it really than a G19? I know it’s 6 ounces heavier and a bit wider/taller. What holster do you recommend? I have been very happy with the Dale Fricke Archangel I’ve used for my G19 for many years, but was also considering one of JM Custom Kydex’s AIWB holsters.

I’m not 100% sold on a classic Sig, though. What others would you suggest I seriously consider? What am I missing? Where am I going wrong?

Like I said originally, I’d really like to find “the one” pistol that offers me reliability, accuracy, natural personal ergonomics, and the fun factor that I currently don’t have in the G19. I’m not one that bounces around from gun to gun. Once I make a decision, I stick with it for a while. And if I don’t find anything, I guess I’ll just stick with my Glock and keep training to get better. I could do a lot worse. I just think it’s time to try something different.

I know some may simply recommend I get some professional training, stick with the Glock, ergonomics aren’t everything, just shoot it more, and the new guns I rented caused me to try harder which is why I shot them better. Totally valid position.

Thanks for any help and insights you can provide. I appreciate it.

Chris

How about going back to that G19 you had....:eek: Oh you haven't gotten away from it yet. In all seriousness, the Glock platform does well for what it was intended to do. It isn't perfect at any one thing, but it does do a lot pretty well. That being said, if you are looking at trying something else to enjoy, then I would highly recommend either a 1911,Browning HP, or the CZ platform. All three are extremely enjoyable to shoot, and there are tons of aftermarket support for them should you decide to play around and customize them. They also have a personality that poly guns just don't have. I know it's sounds strange, but if your an avid shooter you'll understand. I have a few 1911's and Browning HP's that I take for a ride from time to time, but my work horses are still my Glocks.

PS. my dirty little secret is I still carry my custom BHP off duty quite a bit. I started my LE career carrying it, so it holds a little spot in my heart. :)

TXPO

ScotchMan
03-30-2015, 03:02 PM
I've enjoyed reading this thread so far, and agree with a lot of whats been said. HopetonBrown's post struck close to home for me; "I'm a special snowflake and I deserve special snowflake hardware." I think for me, this came from the wide selection of handguns available today, and the thought that there must be a right one for each person. Surely 90% of people can't all be served with the same design right? So I went through a series of purchases trying to find which gun was "the most better" than the Glock.

Any time I take whatever gun I am carrying at the moment to a competition or a class, I find that for several weeks/months after, I stop doing the "next gun" search, and start really enjoying whatever I'm shooting at the moment. Time since last class is directly proportional to desire to buy a gun, for me. So I agree with those saying stop looking at guns and go take a class.

If you've identified real issues with the Glock that you think would be solved with a different gun, then go for it. But things like front slide serrations, "grip zones," one more round of capacity or half inch of barrel length, etc, is probably all noise compared to the time and energy you have invested in the current platform. If you want a different gun for fun, that's a different story, and should be looked at differently. Buy what makes you happy, just don't call it something it isn't.

Just my thoughts. If nothing else, don't sell the Glock, then if you decide the new gun wasn't all it was cracked up to be, you can go back to it without additional expense.

BWT
03-30-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm going to echo Scotchman's advice. Hold onto the Glock.

I think I've had a bit of a "aha!" moment on why we as shooters end up in the "this works well for me but I'm not in love with it" trend.

What are you shooting for? Literally, sit down and ask yourself; why do I shoot?

What I think we're looking for is to fulfill something with that gun. Whether that be developing a skill, competing, enjoying the learning process, going to class, etc.

I think we begin to lose interest when we've plateaud in one of those things we start looking elsewhere.

DocGKR for example shoots professionally, and is a part of an organization that shoots. He knows that his skills will be compared to others, and searches to find the best solution for him. If he simply was a shooter, and went to a range in his free-time; I get the feeling there would be less compulsion to be the best. Not saying it wouldn't be there but it's different when you know you've got a qualification coming up, or a life may depend on your skills.

Me? My shooting is an outlet currently, and staying sharp for CC. I don't practice reload after reload after reload (when I did) because of going to the mall on Friday night. But I darn sure did before a two-gun match.

I think once the "new" wears off a gun, and you've gained proficiency. It's wise to find ways to setup goals to achieve with said firearm; timed drills, competition in a league (or profession), or other things.

Just my $.02.

Keep the mid-sized, reliable, proven gun but find an outlet to help you fill that "need". Training, competition, drills, or heck sometimes a different gun (for periodic range use). Just don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

ETA: I don't compete these days because of time but I'd encourage that as it's the best motivator as far as frequency, availability, accountability (if you stay with a solid squad), and you can pickup skills/input from other shooters.

ScotchMan
04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
And to add to that, sometimes shooting with a different gun can help you improve with the primary. For example, shooting a double action revolver is enjoyable, and should help with the trigger press for many people. It's also very easy to set up flinch tests with empty chambers; just spin before closing. Work the new gun into the training plan and you kill two birds with one stone.