PDA

View Full Version : An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

MikeO
08-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Numbers and stats and charts, oh my!

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

"Over a 10-year period, I kept track of stopping power results from every shooting I could find. I talked to the participants of gunfights, read police reports, attended autopsies, and scoured the newspapers, magazines, and Internet for any reliable accounts of what happened to the human body when it was shot.

I documented all of the data I could; tracking caliber, type of bullet (if known), where the bullet hit and whether or not the person was incapacitated. I also tracked fatalities, noting which bullets were more likely to kill and which were not. It was an exhaustive project, but I'm glad I did it and I'm happy to report the results of my study here.
---
"What I believe that my numbers show is that in the majority of shootings, the person shot merely gives up without being truly incapacitated by the bullet. In such an event, almost any bullet will perform admirably. If you want to be prepared to deal with someone who won't give up so easily, or you want to be able to have good performance even after shooting through an intermediate barrier, I would skip carrying the "mouse gun" .22s, .25s and .32s.

Now compare the numbers of the handgun calibers with the numbers generated by the rifles and shotguns. For me there really isn't a stopping power debate. All handguns suck! If you want to stop someone, use a rifle or shotgun!"

Discuss, don't cuss!

Frank B
08-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Very nice report!Itīs a great overall comparision and I really appreciate the time and effort to get this together.

seabiscuit
08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Great article.

rsa-otc
08-18-2011, 05:42 PM
I agree a good article. It's results seem to fall in line with studies I've reviewed in the past. Based on those and this study I don't care about IDPA's tactical order "EVERYONE" gets 2 rounds on the first pass. Much quicker to deliver 2 to each on the first pass than shooting once knowing that in all probability it will not stop the antagonist and coming back to deliver the 2nd round.

Abraxas
08-18-2011, 07:34 PM
All handguns suck! If you want to stop someone, use a rifle or shotgun!"

Well a rifle anyway. Thanks for the article

jlw
08-18-2011, 08:27 PM
"Over a 10-year period, I kept track of stopping power results from every shooting I could find. I talked to the participants of gunfights, read police reports, attended autopsies, and scoured the newspapers, magazines, and Internet for any reliable accounts of what happened to the human body when it was shot.

Discuss, don't cuss!

Newspapers, magazines, and the internet are reliable sources???

seabiscuit
08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Newspapers, magazines, and the internet are reliable sources???

I think he found the stories there, then did additional investigation.