PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about wheel guns

PPGMD
03-21-2015, 09:16 PM
I bought a S&W 929, and I am pretty clueless about them. I know I probably need a few packs of moon clips from Hearthco/TK Custom.

Are are the best grip options available? I am not a fan of Hogue rubber grips.

What holsters are best for competition?

What needs to be lubricated or cleaned, and how often?

Wheeler
03-21-2015, 09:38 PM
I bought a S&W 929, and I am pretty clueless about them. I know I probably need a few packs of moon clips from Hearthco/TK Custom.

4wheelguns.com is another good source.

Grips are subjective and a never ending quest for many revolver owners and shooters. Hogue also makes good wood grips.

What type of competition? ICORE? USPSA? Steel Challenge?

Cleaning, clean the cylinders, cylinder face, under the extractor star, recoil shield, and around the forcing cone. Light lube at the ejector rod.

PPGMD
03-21-2015, 09:49 PM
USPSA, maybe some ICORE I suppose, if I can do it with the same equipment as USPSA.

Wheeler
03-21-2015, 11:28 PM
USPSA, maybe some ICORE I suppose, if I can do it with the same equipment as USPSA.

Yep. The website I linked has some decent gear for those types of shooting sports. The ones you were looking at are pretty good too. I can't recommend a specific holster though as there's no ICORE close to me and I run IDPAesque gear for SCSA and USPSA when I shoot it.

jetfire
03-22-2015, 11:25 AM

You can get the Hogues without he finger grooves, but otherwise you should probably go with Hogue wood stocks or the Miculek grips. For holsters your best bet is going to be something from Safariland, either the 14 set up for a wheel or the Cup Competition model. I also have a Blade-Tech DOH race holster for my 986, but it's not as good.

On the TI guns, you'll want to keep the center spoke that the cylinder revolves on pretty well lubed. Also, the tolerances on my 929 are pretty tight, so I find myself scrubbing carbon fouling off because it can bind up the cylinder.

jason.jardine72
03-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Is there a specific reason every one loves the 686 that's the only thing I hear in 6 inch 357 magnum ...........i love my 586 I like ti clean it make it shine it is accurate as far as I can shoot 75 yards is it a stainless thing because I do hind them attractive too

thanks Jason!

El Cid
03-22-2015, 06:31 PM
My 625 came with the rubber Hogue grip. It was okay but left me wanting. I replaced it with a S&W wood grip that I liked better but still didn't feel like a home run. I plan to try some VZ grips next.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/smith-wesson/

PPGMD
03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
El Cid,
The VZ grips looks to be about what I am looking for. I like high traction grips.

Caleb,
Hmm what should I put in to find a holster for it on Safariland's website? There is no option for the 929.

Also where do I lube the center spoke. Is it via the ejection rod, or is it around it?

jetfire
03-24-2015, 09:29 AM
El Cid,
The VZ grips looks to be about what I am looking for. I like high traction grips.

Caleb,
Hmm what should I put in to find a holster for it on Safariland's website? There is no option for the 929.

Also where do I lube the center spoke. Is it via the ejection rod, or is it around it?

Holsters for a six inch N-frame should work with the 929. I use this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1338262771/safariland-002-holster-s-and-w-k-l-n-frame-6-barrel-with-underlug-composite-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

As far as lube goes, when I clean the gun (yes) I'll hold the star in the up position and drop a couple of drops on that, then run it up and down a few times. Not a lot, like literally one or two drops.

PPGMD
03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Perfect, thanks. Too bad they don't offer a 014 for the 929. I really like it for my STI.

I think I am going to get a Speed-e-rack. I played with it at the Steel Nationals, and it seems nice and Jerry (who I think knows a little about wheel guns) uses them.

Did you change any of the springs?

jetfire
03-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Perfect, thanks. Too bad they don't offer a 014 for the 929. I really like it for my STI.

I think I am going to get a Speed-e-rack. I played with it at the Steel Nationals, and it seems nice and Jerry (who I think knows a little about wheel guns) uses them.

Did you change any of the springs?

Springs in the gun? Yeah, I put in a Brownells action kit with a 13 pound recoil spring, and then dry fire a lot. GROW STRONGER SHOOT MORE BETTER

PPGMD
03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Springs in the gun? Yeah, I put in a Brownells action kit with a 13 pound recoil spring, and then dry fire a lot. GROW STRONGER SHOOT MORE BETTER

This one?
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/spring-kits/swk-l-n-201-pro-spring-kit-for-s-w-k-l-n-frame-revolver-prod740.aspx

Any particular tools beyond the normal gun hand tools you would used, or wish you had?

Jeep
03-24-2015, 05:02 PM
This one?
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/spring-kits/swk-l-n-201-pro-spring-kit-for-s-w-k-l-n-frame-revolver-prod740.aspx

Any particular tools beyond the normal gun hand tools you would used, or wish you had?

If you are going to be playing with rebound slide springs do yourself a favor and get a rebound slide spring tool. By the way, for rebound slide springs you might want to try a 14lb spring--sometime the 13's are just too light and you will find that you skip chambers when firing.

jetfire
03-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Jerry (who might know a thing or two about the wheelie guns) shows how to get it done with a screwdriver and a ballpoint pen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9gn7zE5b3g

PPGMD
03-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Hmm that old guy seems kind of sketchy, I wonder if I can find a real expert like Nut n Fancy. :p

I was actually looking for your video, but it seems what I remembered was actually for the Ruger wheel gun.

Jeep
03-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Jerry (who might know a thing or two about the wheelie guns) shows how to get it done with a screwdriver and a ballpoint pen:

Yes, but Jerry is an expert with very good dexterity. Not having much dexterity (or eyesight anymore), and having driven myself crazy with a screwdriver, I've found that the rebound slide tool was a very good idea!

PPGMD
03-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Yes, but Jerry is an expert with very good dexterity. Not having much dexterity (or eyesight anymore), and having driven myself crazy with a screwdriver, I've found that the rebound slide tool was a very good idea!

I would've ordered it, but it was out of stock.

I did order the Magnatip S&W set, as I seem to be missing two of those bits, and it was cheaper to order it as a set.

NEPAKevin
03-25-2015, 12:42 PM
FWIW, one can be improvised using a small flat screwdriver. The cheap ones like they used to give out at auto parts sores are great if you want to bend the neck. I have seen some where guys notch the tip so it is like the one you buy or you can put a nipple on the end like the guy in the video linked below:

https://youtu.be/A0nUJePqV_U

PPGMD
03-25-2015, 01:57 PM
FWIW, one can be improvised using a small flat screwdriver. The cheap ones like they used to give out at auto parts sores are great if you want to bend the neck. I have seen some where guys notch the tip so it is like the one you buy or you can put a nipple on the end like the guy in the video linked below:

Interesting, I might do that.

I did something similar, by cutting a notch in a spare small screwdriver bit, to help grasp the legs of springs on Sigs and XDs.

jetfire
03-25-2015, 03:03 PM

Oh I totally agree, and Jerry makes it look a lot easier than it actually is for the most of us. I just like this video because it shows how simple it can be once you've done it 10,000 times.

jh9
03-25-2015, 03:10 PM

If you have a driver that takes replaceable bits, you can just buy the $4 bit for the rebound tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199200/wheeler-engineering-screwdriver-bit-s-and-w-rebound-slide-spring

Ballpoint pen is great for reinstalling, though.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/s-w-revolver-combo-prod406.aspx

I don't care if you have a 100 bit set. Don't count on having the snowflake bits S&W uses. $8 is cheap insurance.

The bit for the yoke screw is an oddball. One review notes that it doesn't fit the screw on their 625. Mine are all sloppier than I'd like That review says a 180-4 bit solved their problem. I tried one and it was too thick. YMMV.

I should note that if you're buying the newer yoke screw assembly with the spring loaded plunger they are the same for everything but J-frames. The older fit screws are, IIRC, not. So I would expect some variation in slot thickness, even for the new design.

Other than correct bits and the rebound widget, nothing springs to mind in terms of tools for what you're doing.

I would not expect any mainspring to necessarily drop in and still be 100% reliable with all primers. I have *two* 686s, one made in 1999 at the beginning of the MIM revolution and one made in 2014 that will either not work with Wolff "factory" strength mainsprings (yes, Type 1) due to light strikes (yes, with both types of new round butt strain screws) or due to the rebound hitting the mainspring when actuating the trigger. I have tried numerous generations of the Wolff Type 1 spring, including the old plain black springs, the newer grey coated springs, and a 2015 manufactured black (again) spring. All exhibited some sort of problem with both new, unmodified strain screws.

In a fit of irony I guess, the factory supplied Wolff Type 2 ("competition only") spring that came in my 627 will set off seemingly anything, including S&B eurocaps.

While these problems aren't insurmountable (advice on benos is to use #8-32 machine/set screws for extra preload; I never got around to trying) if you don't go into this endeavor expecting everything to just drop in you're less likely to be disappointed. Revolvers, like 1911s, are pretty pretty snowflakes when it comes to fitting parts. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

If you change out the mainspring for anything other than the factory, OEM, oversprung heavy black unit, test it thoroughly with carry ammo. Personally, I'd test it with CCI Magnum primers at the softest. I'd round up some eurocaps if I were the belt and suspenders type.

YMMV.

PPGMD
03-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Magnum primers aren't an issue with 9mm, and I think the gun is a little big for concealed carry being that it is almost the length of my forearm.

Anyways at worst case, I call up Randy or Scott at Apex and tell them they have a gun heading their way, or bug Cliff Walsh next time I see him at WAC.

I think by the time this is all said and done I think I will be spending the gun's cost in stuff to get it ready for competition.

jh9
03-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Magnum primers aren't an issue with 9mm,

The first 686 I mentioned wasn't even reliable with Winchester primers. The "standard strength" wolff mainspring was a Federal-only affair.

and I think the gun is a little big for concealed carry being that it is almost the length of my forearm.

Ha. Yeah. The 929 part slipped my mind about halfway through writing that.

Anyways at worst case, I call up Randy or Scott at Apex and tell them they have a gun heading their way, or bug Cliff Walsh next time I see him at WAC.

I think by the time this is all said and done I think I will be spending the gun's cost in stuff to get it ready for competition.

If you don't mind the Federal primers only thing I doubt you'll have a hard time with any of the drop-in kits. But if you use anything other than Federals it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the gun will light them off reliably. YMMV.

Jeep
03-26-2015, 09:17 AM
If you change out the mainspring for anything other than the factory, OEM, oversprung heavy black unit, test it thoroughly with carry ammo. Personally, I'd test it with CCI Magnum primers at the softest. I'd round up some eurocaps if I were the belt and suspenders type.

YMMV.

This is excellent advice.

NEPAKevin
03-26-2015, 12:15 PM
If you have a driver that takes replaceable bits, you can just buy the $4 bit for the rebound tool.

Right tool for the job... I know. But when the UPS man delivers a box full of wonderful stuff, and I am at work where we have a shop full of fabricating tools, sometimes the MacGyver in me just wins out.

jh9
03-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Right tool for the job... I know. But when the UPS man delivers a box full of wonderful stuff, and I am at work where we have a shop full of fabricating tools, sometimes the MacGyver in me just wins out.

If this involves bubble gum or paperclips you're obligated to post pics :p

PPGMD
03-26-2015, 05:02 PM
To quote Caleb.

Clips Clips Clips Clips Clips (https://instagram.com/p/0tJrvoJ6f1/) :D

PPGMD
03-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Just finished changing the power rib, rebound spring, and cylinder release. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I spent more time juggling bits than anything else.

I have some new grips coming hopefully by the end of the week. And then I just have to figure out the sights.

I am not sure which size roll pin punch to use, as the 1/16" looks a little big and that is the smallest size Brownells sells. And I'm not sure how I am going to drill out the new sight.

The rear sight is a little tricky too. I talked to Bowen, and they said they will have a 929 rear sight soonish. And they might be able to cut it to my preferred depth (I like rear sights with at least .120" notch depth).

jh9
04-01-2015, 05:39 AM
I have some new grips coming hopefully by the end of the week. And then I just have to figure out the sights.

I am not sure which size roll pin punch to use, as the 1/16" looks a little big and that is the smallest size Brownells sells. And I'm not sure how I am going to drill out the new sight.x

.05"

Little Creek
04-27-2015, 07:50 AM
Did the 9mm revolvers drop off the S&W website?

Drang
04-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Did the 9mm revolvers drop off the S&W website?

9 mm - Smith & Wesson (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_796653_-1_775655_757896_image)