PDA

View Full Version : Survey on police weapons and opinions

Glenn E. Meyer
03-19-2015, 03:34 PM
http://www.policeone.com/police-products/duty-gear/holsters/articles/8429253-P1-Poll-results-What-do-you-think-about-your-sidearm/?utm_source=8461198&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Exclusives2LeftTitle&utm_campaign=P1Member&nlid=8461198

Glocks seem to be the most used and liked. OMG! It almost mirrors the IDPA polls on gun used.

Just FYI

HCountyGuy
03-20-2015, 01:26 AM
I've done some of my best shooting with a Glock, but I just can't seem to really become as fond of them as my Sig.

It is quite remarkable how Glock was able to so quickly establish a dominance on the LE firearm market. I'm glad to see Sig in second, though with a far greater margin than I would like.

Trooper224
03-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Not remarkable at all, when you consider that Glock literally gives the things away for free. The rest of the industry could really take a page or two from Glock's marketing and customer service guides.

Hambo
03-20-2015, 05:37 AM
http://www.policeone.com/police-products/duty-gear/holsters/articles/8429253-P1-Poll-results-What-do-you-think-about-your-sidearm/?utm_source=8461198&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Exclusives2LeftTitle&utm_campaign=P1Member&nlid=8461198

Glocks seem to be the most used and liked. OMG! It almost mirrors the IDPA polls on gun used.

Just FYI

70% of cops don't get a choice in their pistol, and the 90% who never shoot outside of qualification would pick Glock from the four choices offered. That's a ringing endorsement.

JHC
03-20-2015, 08:27 AM
70% of cops don't get a choice in their pistol, and the 90% who never shoot outside of qualification would pick Glock from the four choices offered. That's a ringing endorsement.

SOCOM is probably in the same boat. ;)

But on a half serious note - this Glock % seems roughly unchanged for what it's been discussed being for over a decade or more. Over that last few years I've heard a lot about how much they were losing to the challengers.

If I were to vote on where the next big challenge comes from it would probably be from the 320 I think.

Chuck Haggard
03-20-2015, 10:33 AM
People often don't get that this is a systems approach when an agency is involved, and it should be.

With Glock you can get the guns, holsters, magazines, armorer training, parts availability, Sim guns, red guns, all at once, a plug-and-play solution, and can do so for less than what other people charge.

BehindBlueI's
03-21-2015, 09:25 AM
People often don't get that this is a systems approach when an agency is involved, and it should be.

With Glock you can get the guns, holsters, magazines, armorer training, parts availability, Sim guns, red guns, all at once, a plug-and-play solution, and can do so for less than what other people charge.

Very true. Add in the simplicity of logisitics and training, and its a compelling argument. Especially when Glock was first beginning to take off and they now have the incumbent advantage.

Sig is pecking away at them by taking the same approach. Our state police went from Glock to Sig after experiencing issues with the Glock 21 and Sig offering to buy the new leather, etc. if they swapped to P227s.

DocGKR
03-21-2015, 12:06 PM
"If I were to vote on where the next big challenge comes from it would probably be from the 320 I think."

That would likely be a pretty good guess.

threedogdad
03-21-2015, 12:33 PM
That would likely be a pretty good guess.

I honestly (albeit probably naively) expected the FNS pistols to have a larger impact than they seem to be having.

Kyle Reese
03-21-2015, 02:57 PM
I honestly (albeit probably naively) expected the FNS pistols to have a larger impact than they seem to be having.
Mine shit the bed very early in its service life.

jnc36rcpd
03-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Can you elaborate on your FNS pistol, Fred? My department will likely become what may be the first department to adopt the FNS-9.

KenW.
04-25-2015, 07:57 PM
I've carried the 1911, XD, Glock, HK, and now an FNX-40. We're permitted personal sidearms. While I shoot the Glock well and stay qualled with it, it is at the bottom of my favorites list.

DocGKR
04-25-2015, 08:51 PM
As I've noted before, unless an agency has the ability and resources to expend at least 300,000 rounds and realistically probably more like 500,000 rounds to perform a valid and statistically significant test of firearms, it is probably best to assess what very large, well resourced, and technically capable organizations, like the FBI, have found in large scale scientific testing, as well as carefully observe what combat experienced SOF units that have high round count training schedules have discovered about firearms. It is likely NOT wise to adopt a weapon system within the first year of its introduction, if it has not been tested and approved by a large organization using a valid test protocol, or if they weapon system has not withstood the stresses of wide-scale and demanding use by fast paced, well regarded SOF units.

jnc36rcpd
04-25-2015, 09:42 PM
What???? You mean it may not be the best decision to be seemingly the first agency anywhere to adopt the FNS-9? I mean, we voted and a lot of people liked it!

DocGKR
04-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Yeah....

Kyle Reese
04-26-2015, 08:41 AM
For general issue, A Gen 3 or 4 Glock 17/19 is tough to beat.

BehindBlueI's
04-26-2015, 09:17 PM
What???? You mean it may not be the best decision to be seemingly the first agency anywhere to adopt the FNS-9? I mean, we voted and a lot of people liked it!

My carry pistol was beta tested about 40 years ago. I've seen no compelling reason to change. I'm always glad to see other folks do so, though. Maybe someday one of these technological wonders will actually be better at something other than "but its lighter!" and "you can't forget to decock under stress!"

(this post best read in grumpy old man voice).

LSP972
04-27-2015, 08:03 AM
I think, when it comes to "dissing" Glocks in general, some are missing a huge point; to wit, Glock as a company is VERY adept at getting folks' attention, and keeping it.

My bride and I went to a GSSF match yesterday. It was a most interesting experience. I am no stranger to organized competition, having been hard-core into NRA PPC and conventional pistol, (bullseye), and dabbled with IPSC/USPSA/IDPA, but I'd never been to one of these GSSF deals before. I found it to be sort of a Bianchi Cup, without the mover.

In short, it is a most excellent way for the average person to get involved in organized competition. You can go as shallow, or deep, into it as you choose. The courses of fire are challenging, but not overly difficult. There is no byzantine maze of rules to try and keep up with, and everybody pretty much shoots heads-up with the other competitors. They must put a chip or something into the range staff at every venue; I personally knew a lot of the ROs, and some of them are, shall we say, less than charitable toward newbies. Yet, without exception, all staff types we encountered were exceedingly friendly and helpful... just what is needed to shephard a rookie through the process. At one stage, they even gave my wife a Mulligan when she got confused and TOTALLY gooned up one string.

My point here is, Glock is covering the "civilian" side of their market with these events. We ran across several older couples of our age, who were deep into it and having a ball. One enthusiastic 62 YOA woman was a real hoot; she was quick to tell us that she had shot her first gun just two years ago, had already won one gun and was hoping for another one. Saw a few yuppie types with the same level of enthusiasm. What really got my attention was the number of competitiors who had travelled quite a ways to get there (the match was held in deep south Louisiana). You expect that from hard-core shooters; you do NOT expect it from Chip and Muffy and grandparents.

Aside from the rather steep initial outlay (the bill for my wife and I to join up and shoot three "divisions"- two for her, one for me- was $135), I enjoyed it. I recognize the Glock for what it is, I have a few of them, but I really don't LIKE the pistols. Ditto for my bride, who has become a die-hard HK fan. But she shot that LE trade-in G17 well enough; and she had fun too. The multiple opportunities to "win" a gun in random drawings, along with the awards for top shooting, got her attention... although she was rather miffed to learn that said awards would be a Glock pistol. She was hoping for a carte-blanche prize...:D

Okay, this is off-topic, but I think it relevant in helping to understand just how Glock is overwhelmingly popular, and not just among military and US law enforcement.

nwhpfan
04-27-2015, 09:48 AM
These surveys are always a little interesting... I was surprised S&W wasn't higher and was surprised Beretta was in there....

I'm not so sure there are many guns really better than a Glock all things considered.... Sure, a CZ SPO1 Shadow is a much better shooting pistol but lugging one around for 10 hours isn't practical.

Mr_White
04-27-2015, 12:02 PM
GSSF

Totally agree with you about GSSF. It's an excellent competition that is narrow but deep.

Trooper224
04-27-2015, 03:39 PM
In terms of GSSF, Glock is doing exactly what companies in other industries have done, such as Harley Davidson. They're selling the Glock "experience", not just the product. Their product may or may not be better than the competition, but people get sucked into lifestyle and image more than anything else. It's marketing genius.

LSP552
04-27-2015, 07:14 PM
In terms of GSSF, Glock is doing exactly what companies in other industries have done, such as Harley Davidson. They're selling the Glock "experience", not just the product. Their product may or may not be better than the competition, but people get sucked into lifestyle and image more than anything else. It's marketing genius.

Glock is apparently very good at it. My wife is about a non-gun person as possible who actually took her CCW class. She came home from class talking about wanting to go shoot some GSSF. This is my shocked face! She shoots Glocks pretty well for the person who shoots about every 6 months and who really has no interest in practice. She enjoys shooting and plinking, but will never be serious about. However, I've no doubt that she would light you up if you kicked the door in on her.

Soooo, i'll likely set her up a 19 for play.

I'm of the opinion that any sport that brings in new shooters is a good thing.

LSP972
04-27-2015, 08:31 PM
She came home from class talking about wanting to go shoot some GSSF.

AFAIK, the Thibodaux event this past week-end is the only regularly-scheduled GSSF event in our state. One was held at the Ouachita S.O. range in West by-God Monroe in April; dunno if there will be a repeat next year. I'm pretty sure there are some in Mississippi and Alabama; dunno when.

Make sure her 19 is bone stock. You can monkey with the trigger pieces/parts a bit, but only minimally. One of your 17s or 34s might be a better bet (bit less recoil) if her hand will fit.

Trooper224
04-28-2015, 02:43 AM
Glock is apparently very good at it. My wife is about a non-gun person as possible who actually took her CCW class. She came home from class talking about wanting to go shoot some GSSF. This is my shocked face! She shoots Glocks pretty well for the person who shoots about every 6 months and who really has no interest in practice. She enjoys shooting and plinking, but will never be serious about. However, I've no doubt that she would light you up if you kicked the door in on her.

Soooo, i'll likely set her up a 19 for play.

I'm of the opinion that any sport that brings in new shooters is a good thing.

I agree and my statement wasn't meant as a criticism. Honestly, every company in the industry should be emmulating Glock's approach. It's simply good business.

Lost River
05-01-2015, 08:06 PM
I carry a .40 M&P Compact as an investigator.

The only choice I have is between a full size or compact M&P and only in .40.

I care neither for the gun or cartridge. The mushy trigger is garbage. My compact is actually a lot more accurate than the full size M&P I had, but neither are particularly accurate as compared to 9mm Glocks.

Given the plainclothes nature of my work, where I carry concealed 99% of the time, I would rather carry a Glock 19.

Actually I could be happy with a 17 or a 19.

If I worked patrol/uniformed work, Id be happy with a full size .45 Glock as well.

BillP
05-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Uniform/takedown/SWAT handgun is a Glock 21. Day to day Detective and off-duty gun is a G19. I shoot a 34 for 3 Gun. Glocks do what I need them to do, and I'm a satisfied customer.

Tamara
05-08-2015, 07:01 PM

To be fair, FN's never really seemed to get their heart into agency sales. For a company that's pretty aggressive on the global military scene, they just don't seem to try very hard with US LE sales.

The FNS is, what... their third? Fourth? ...try in the LE pistol market in the last twenty years. (Not counting the oddball FiveSeveN.)