PDA

View Full Version : Who carries a Weapon mounted light?

willowofwisp
02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
So who carries a WML? if so what holster combo do you use? and what are your thoughts on this?

I was carrying an m&p .45 midsize and an x300 in a raven concealment phantom LC, I liked the setup and didn't find it to bulky, although the one thing I hadn't started using was a DG switch. Now that I am back to carrying glocks, I will probably start carrying an x300 again on my 17.

I really couldn't think of any cons, there was no change in concealment or comfortability, weight was negligible, and the WML was not a substitute for my handheld light.

Thoughts or opinions?

MTechnik
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
As soon as my order comes in from raven concealment I will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

VolGrad
02-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I currently own a Raven light carrier for a G17 with TLR-1. The G17 has been chopped and stippled by Boresight Solutions. It now eats G19 mags.

I also have a G19 with TLR-1 light carrier from Atomic Dog.

I find both easy enough to conceal, both have a surprisingly small footprint for what all they are carrying, and comfortable. The extra weight and size is negligible IMO.

Admittedly, I don't carry with a light attached daily ... yet. I might start though now I know it isn't a big deal.

Pennzoil
02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I was carrying my Glock 19 with TLR - 3 in a raven concealment phantom LC IWB and loved the combo. The reason I stopped using it was the large open area around the trigger to accommodate the light and everything seeming to gravitate towards it. It's large enough I can pull the trigger with the pistol holstered.

About two months into wearing this setup I came close to having an ND. I was chopping down an acacia tree in my backyard and had a twig of the tree make it inside my button down shirt and into my holster. Upon inspection the twig had gone inside the trigger guard and out the other side with two thorns in front of the trigger. I had to pull the gun out of the holster while keeping pressure on the twig till I could safely clear the twig from the trigger guard. One of the thorns did a good number on my TLR-3's bezel while I was doing this.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/15/img2406a.jpg

After this happened I decided to go back to my old setup. I'm going to look at the CT Lightguard when it comes out.

aspect
02-28-2011, 01:57 AM
As soon as my order comes in from raven concealment I will.

Same here...should be hitting the production queue any time now.

MTechnik
02-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Same here...should be hitting the production queue any time now.

I'm probably a month or two away.

But I wait patiently.

orionz06
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
I carry an X300 on my M&P's, in holsters I made as I felt the 17 weeks I waited for th first Raven was insane. Many of you are far more patient than I am.

willowofwisp
02-28-2011, 08:46 AM
I carry an X300 on my M&P's, in holsters I made as I felt the 17 weeks I waited for th first Raven was insane. Many of you are far more patient than I am.

I just place the order and forget about it LOL, but really I placed an order with Cane and Derby last week for a holster and some mag carrier, I can't wait to give it a try.

orionz06
02-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I just place the order and forget about it LOL, but really I placed an order with Cane and Derby last week for a holster and some mag carrier, I can't wait to give it a try.

Yes, but when the wait time is long enough for both my gear and mode of carry to possibly change, patience doesnt cut it.

willowofwisp
02-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, but when the wait time is long enough for both my gear and mode of carry to possibly change, patience doesnt cut it.

Makes complete sense, there is always the used market too, but expect to pay a nice premium.

orionz06
02-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Makes complete sense, there is always the used market too, but expect to pay a nice premium.

Correct.

/derail

Tom Fineis
02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I was carrying my Glock 19 with TLR - 3 in a raven concealment phantom LC IWB and loved the combo. The reason I stopped using it was the large open area around the trigger to accommodate the light and everything seeming to gravitate towards it. It's large enough I can pull the trigger with the pistol holstered.

About two months into wearing this setup I came close to having an ND. I was chopping down an acacia tree in my backyard and had a twig of the tree make it inside my button down shirt and into my holster. Upon inspection the twig had gone inside the trigger guard and out the other side with two thorns in front of the trigger. I had to pull the gun out of the holster while keeping pressure on the twig till I could safely clear the twig from the trigger guard. One of the thorns did a good number on my TLR-3's bezel while I was doing this.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/15/img2406a.jpg

After this happened I decided to go back to my old setup. I'm going to look at the CT Lightguard when it comes out.

Your holster is out of spec and should have never left our doors. I apologize for the mixup. Please contact me and I will replace it.

Abraxas
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
For those of you already carrying with light, have you noticed any differences from how you carried before?

orionz06
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
For those of you already carrying with light, have you noticed any differences from how you carried before?

How I carry, no. One thing to note, if you carry on strong side hip, you may have a few issues as the holster becomes thicker, as thick as the light plus roughly 3/16" of an inch. Moving it away from the exact hip location reduces the appearance of the now wider holster. If you were barely covering the holster before, switching to a WML might expose some of the holster, but in all of my cases, there were no changes needed for concealment at 2:00.

Pennzoil
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Your holster is out of spec and should have never left our doors. I apologize for the mixup. Please contact me and I will replace it.

Thanks Tom I'll get ahold of you this week.

vcdgrips
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Before I went to AIWB, I carried a g34/35 w/ aTLR1 in a Raven OWB/IWB all the time.
I liked having the tool if needed.

As I have been more active around my kids, their friend and parents in various activities, sporting events etc, concealment/speed/ease of access are now driving the train.

I would strongly considergoing back to a WML if I could carry it AIWB with the same comfort I do with the same G34/35 in a Shaggy. I am told the Surefire is coming out with a one cell light. I suspect that would make for a thinner package that the TLR 3.

Abraxas
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
How I carry, no. One thing to note, if you carry on strong side hip, you may have a few issues as the holster becomes thicker, as thick as the light plus roughly 3/16" of an inch. Moving it away from the exact hip location reduces the appearance of the now wider holster. If you were barely covering the holster before, switching to a WML might expose some of the holster, but in all of my cases, there were no changes needed for concealment at 2:00.

I carry IWB strong side and since I dont know anyone who caries WML I have wondered. Well I guess I should not say that no one I know does, but they use OWB Safrilands and shoot me first vests. This is something that I have been very interested in though

BobM
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm issued a M&P40/TLR and I bought a Raven Phanton several years ago for off-duty carry. I've carried it quite a bit, mostly with the IWB loops. It carries very comfortably and well concealed year round. (Although for some reason lately I've been carrying the M&P more often w/o the light in a Sparks IWB).

vaspence
03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
During hunting season I will carry a G19 or 17 with a X200 on it for those late night tracking sessions. I am a big fan of Threat Solutions UCR holsters for IWB and have one that is X200/TLR1 compatible. I also wore it for a week when I first got it and there is no noticeable difference to me other than my draw is a little slower with the light on it. I mainly bought it for hunting though so it serves it's purpose well. I can sit for 6 hours or so in a climber with no discomfort.

The only downside is it is definitely a pay up front and wait to be surprised in 4-6 months. That said when I broke the clip on my first one (after a few years of daily use) Dave did get it repaired at no cost and back to me fairly quick.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest042.jpg

DonovanM
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I carry a 226 with a TLR-1 attached. If anything, the bezel of the light tends to press into my thigh, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Captain
03-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I just started this weekend by carrying an M&P9 FS with a TLR-1 in a holster from Personal Security Systems (http://psholsters.com/).

So far it has been extremely comfortable and no harder to conceal than any other OWB option I've tried. I haven't worn it IWB yet, so I can't comment how well that would work, but I'm not overly worried about it...

DocGKR
03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
My Glocks & M&P's frequently mount an x300--typically worn in a RCS Phantom or Safariland holster; I've also got Dale Fricke holsters for x300 use on order.

Chipster
03-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I am going to try to find that Safariland holster with the ALS in it to try.

Super J
04-27-2011, 11:25 PM
I have a raven lc for my G17 with surefire x300. Holster is the magpul cut (straight drop) and I carry it owb at 2 o'clock under my cover shirt. Carrying it in conjunction with my ares ranger belt is pretty comfy and the only issue that I have is that I lose access to the front pocket that is obstructed by the holster. I also have the iwb attachments for this holster but have not got around to trying it out.

Josh Runkle
04-28-2011, 01:21 AM
M&P 9 with X300 in Raven OWB MD cut. My weapon light is a back-up and I use a handheld E2DL as a primary.

JodyH
04-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Dale Fricke is making me a Archangel AIWB for my P2000/Viridian C5L.

Pennzoil
04-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Dale Fricke is making me a Archangel AIWB for my P2000/Viridian C5L.

Nice. I just got a Archangel AIWB recently and would like to try one with a CT Lightguard once they come out. So far I'm big fan of the Archangel holster. Did you just email him then send him the C5L once details were worked out?

JodyH
04-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Nice. I just got a Archangel AIWB recently and would like to try one with a CT Lightguard once they come out. So far I'm big fan of the Archangel holster. Did you just email him then send him the C5L once details were worked out?
We worked out the details via email, I'll mail him my C5L so it arrives on May 10th, he said he'd turn it around that day and send out my holster on the 11th.
:cool:

fuse
05-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party.

This is my cut down G19. I call it my 19/26.

The reason for this little experiment was to be able to easily conceal carry a gun with an attached surefire X300 weapon light that also has a G26-sized grip for easy concealment and comfort.

dale @ www.gripreductions.com did the work. highly recommended.

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/a403ccbb0f1bbfa3c4088cadcc181021.jpg

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/cc34f7f506de11bb021c7a4548c60acd.jpg

I use a comptac CTAC for this, carrying strong side IWB at around 3:30-4:00.

I like it a lot. Still not quite as easy to shoot as a full G19, but I believe the longer slide and barrel make it shoot a bit softer than a 26.

Been carrying this for about 4 months. Since I prefer all black sights, having a weapon light is certainly a great thing for shooting in the dark. Where before they'd be basically invisible, I just activate the light and instantly see my notch and post.

So not only does the WML help me to see what the gun is pointing at, it helps me see my sights as well.